Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

And even if the knife was at the edge of the table, Nagito would still need to get down on one knee at the very least so that he could even see the glow-in-the-dark paint. Trying to reach for a knife blindly would be kind of dumb.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Alien Arcana posted:

Nidai is awesome, Sonia is awesome, Hinata is awesome... this is really a great collection of characters.

Also I just had a thought. The big flaw with the "skewered from below" plan is that it relies on the idea that someone just so happened to be lurking under the dining room when Togami crawled under the table, right? Why would anyone be down there in the first place? Pulling off a murder from there is such a long shot.

Well, what if the person wasn't down there with murder on the mind? What if they had another motive? Can anyone think of a character who might have ulterior motives for prowling around beneath the main hall, staring up at the partiers? Partiers that include... girls? Some of whom are wearing skirts?

:fsn:

Why would Teruteru have brought a skewer down there and why would he be motivated to murder someone if that was the case?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Why would Teruteru have brought a skewer down there
For flipping skirts.

Power of Pecota posted:

and why would he be motivated to murder someone if that was the case?
Losing the source of light that allowed him to see up said skirts caused him to fly into a berserk rage

e: Alternatively he was confused and was trying to flip the table's "skirt", but it went tragically wrong.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 19, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Changamer posted:

Is it just me, or did the music for Phrase 6 sound a bit different than the music for Phrases 1, 2, and 5? Is that a different track than the one used for those phrases, or am I just imagining the difference in the music?

Discussion -BREAK- vs. Discussion -MIX- (EDGE Version)

I think the word they're repeating is supposed to be "break" but I can't hear anything but "Kuwait"

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

FPzero posted:

Mahiru is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and I'm definitely pegging her to be the sidekick character as we go further into the game. She's smart, rational, and mostly calm, though she does seem to get a bit wound up when it comes to male/female roles.

I'm really loving the changes to the trial system like so many others are pointing out. Being able to to strengthen arguments is a great addition and these sudden interjections like Nidai's are a huge, welcome surprise.

That said, drat you oren for cutting the update there.

I dunno about that, now that there's an agreement mechanic in trials we may not need a sidekick. Other people can take turns at having good insights now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Power of Pecota posted:

Why would Teruteru have brought a skewer down there and why would he be motivated to murder someone if that was the case?
Because he wants to get off this hick island and back to somewhere there's scope for his talents to be admired and more pretty ladies (and dudes) for him to perv on? I think the question of what his motive was is rather paltry next to the facts that point to him being the only viable culprit.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013
I was rereading the party scene to get a grasp on what everyone was doing and what pre-party stuff the player had knowledge of... this kind of stuck out to me since the skewer has to be the weapon and Hanamura had to be the one who hid it...

quote:

There are all kinds of dishes here, in a staggering variety of cuisines...
...There's even a humongous meat on a bone!

DUN DUN DUN.

Wouldn't he have served this with the initial foodstuffs? It looks cooked. I call "hidden in plain sight".

Also, Hanamura just seems so suspicious after the gang smells blood in the party room

quote:

B...Blood...? Isn't that strange? I haven't made any rare meat today...
N...No one should be smelling any blood...!!

The more we know about the circumstances, the more suspicious Hanamura's nervousness seems...

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Falls Down Stairs posted:

No it doesn't. It still leaves up to chance the whole idea that anyone would notice the knife at all and decide to care about it more than getting the lights back on. Meanwhile, the person who planted the knife probably planted it close to the centre of the table because if it were near the side, say using the corner of the table as the landmark, someone might have found it by just leaning on the table or something.
Oh, right, there's still that chance for certain. I mentioned that in my last post on the subject. If no one notices and moves under the table to investigate, scrub the attempt and no one's the wiser at that point. It's better to have your plot foiled by the lure failing than to get caught in an actual murder attempt by trying to push your luck.

I was referring to the chance that someone would actually crawl under the table to investigate if the glow was seen because the knife was far enough under that you'd have to crawl under there to actually get at it. If you're looking to retrieve quickly and use the glow so you yourself notice it (mostly for making sure you don't have to feel around for the knife for a long time), you'd want to tape it close enough to the edge for a quick grab, but deep enough in that it wouldn't be noticed by accident while the lights were still on.

quote:

Another problem with the knife being a lure is that if that's the case, the only person who noticed it was standing way the gently caress on the opposite side of the room and needed night-vision goggles to get from one end of the room to the other. Togami would be the least likely person to get killed in that case.

The knife being a lure is a bad theory.
I still don't think so. I'm pretty sure the chain of events was Nagito noticing the glow of the paint and investigating, Togami noticing him via NVGs and assuming the worst, rushing over to shove him out of the way (probably thinking he was stopping a murder attempt), noticing the glow himself, crawling under the table to see what the big deal was about, and Hanamura stabbing him from underneath with the skewer.

This isn't to say that I fully discredit the idea of Nagito having his own plan; it just seems the less likely of the two possibilities to me. The only thing that's keeping me from fully discrediting the idea is Nagito's sporadic helpfulness. I can see it as either trying to hide his failed murder attempt, or Nagito's keeping his cards close, trying to leave Hanamura enough rope to hang himself.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The biggest thing to me that actually speaks to Hanamura's guilt is that Mikan's embarrassing pose is an evidence bullet. The fact that HE HAS NOT MADE A COMMENT ABOUT IT is really telling, and suggests that that evidence bullet is actually going to be one of the nails in his coffin. I can see it being used to demonstrate that Hanamura probably wasn't in the dining room, because if he were, he would have said something about Mikan's accident. Especially considering how Saonji was mocking Mikan for it, if Hanamura had witnessed it, that would have been his cue to say something. Because if there's one thing reliable about Hanamura, it's what a goddamn perv he is. It would be pretty rich if that characteristic ends up being his undoing.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013

Spatula City posted:

The biggest thing to me that actually speaks to Hanamura's guilt is that Mikan's embarrassing pose is an evidence bullet. The fact that HE HAS NOT MADE A COMMENT ABOUT IT is really telling, and suggests that that evidence bullet is actually going to be one of the nails in his coffin. I can see it being used to demonstrate that Hanamura probably wasn't in the dining room, because if he were, he would have said something about Mikan's accident. Especially considering how Saonji was mocking Mikan for it, if Hanamura had witnessed it, that would have been his cue to say something. Because if there's one thing reliable about Hanamura, it's what a goddamn perv he is. It would be pretty rich if that characteristic ends up being his undoing.

I would LOVE IT if that ends up being the nail in his coffin!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tutorial posted:

Whether a given discussion calls for refutation or corroboration is up to you to reason out.

It looks like later on there will indeed be cases where you have both orange and blue testimony to sort through, that should be really good.

Spatula City posted:

Yeah, I agree with this and that it would be absolutely fan-fuckin-tastic if the final piece of evidence that breaks the case is the case of the dog that didn't bark: The time when the colossal pervert said nothing. I think that's one of the reasons why Hanamura being a pervert has been noted a couple of times in the trial (one by him himself).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Falls Down Stairs posted:

No it doesn't. It still leaves up to chance the whole idea that anyone would notice the knife at all and decide to care about it more than getting the lights back on. Meanwhile, the person who planted the knife probably planted it close to the centre of the table because if it were near the side, say using the corner of the table as the landmark, someone might have found it by just leaning on the table or something.

Another problem with the knife being a lure is that if that's the case, the only person who noticed it was standing way the gently caress on the opposite side of the room and needed night-vision goggles to get from one end of the room to the other. Togami would be the least likely person to get killed in that case.

The knife being a lure is a bad theory.

Relying on chance Nagito is super high school level luck of course he would rely on chance.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Enough retread theories! VoidBurger and I collaborated on a screenshot Retsupurae.

Let's Play the fan roleplay game: Super Dangan Ronpa: Dead End!

What is roleplaying? I guess we should tell you, because the person behind Super Dangan Ronpa Dead End didn’t bother to fill us in. Roleplaying is when some internet weirdos decide to “play house” in the world of some pre-existing fiction. All sorts of fandoms do it and they’re all very cringe-worthy. The only acceptable age range for roleplaying is 10 to 13 years old. These people are probably all past that arbitrary cutoff I just made up. So far as I know, roleplaying is also not very planned in advance, but they sometimes have an equivalent of a DungeonMaster to keep things rolling and keep every single person from making themselves the protagonist. Or something. It’s too mentally exhausting to do real research on, so you’re gonna hafta take my word on it.
I gotta warn you, I was mentally exhausted by the first three words you said, and just skimmed the rest. Kinda like Dangan Ronpa Zero. As a matter of course, I’m assuming I’m better off for it.

SUPER DANGAN RONPA: DEAD END is an unofficial Dangan Ronpa Roleplay. We are currently in application stage, so if you’re interested in being a part of this group, read on.

Hello, I’m your pal slowbeef (herein represented by the wizard from The Immortal a.k.a what I look like in real life), and I’m totally ready to apply to Super Dangan Ronpa: Dead End.
And I’m VoidBurger and what the goddamn hell is this. I like how they called it an “unofficial” Dangan Ronpa Roleplay, so we wouldn’t get confused and think this was OK’d by Spike/Chunsoft.
It’s tough because there’s so many scams prefixed with “Super Dangan Ronpa” nowadays. I can’t walk down the street without tripping over a Super Dangan Ronpa Coupon that cost more than the original or Super Dangan Ronpa Homeless Shelter where they pocket your cash or Super Dangan Ronpa Dead End where I’m duped into seeing fan-made characters I don’t care about, invented by people too invested in a video game they haven’t even played, live their terrible nonexistent lives.
Maybe they’re hoping to get noticed by Spike/Chunsoft and then they will be the FIRST company-endorsed Roleplay group for an obscure Japanese videogame ever. Breaking new ground!
I’m frankly not aware of a better way to get a job at Spike/Chunsoft.
In case they ever run out of ideas, they can rely on this group of people who have terrible, terrible ideas.
Hey! Spoiler alert!!! These might be totally original and awesome ideas!
EVERY character except ONE will be a crossdresser THIS TIME! The real mystery is... WHOM??

If you’re planning on applying and have no idea what Dangan Ronpa is, it’s highly recommended to read the Lets Play. To put it shortly, a bunch of Super High School Level talents are trapped in a school, and must murder each other for a possibility of escaping.

This tumblr roleplay will work much like the game itself- characters will regularly die, and after a death there will be a trial where the characters must attempt to figure out who the killer is.

There is a 99.99999% chance that this will be a clusterfuck.
I’m stunned you’re even leaving that .00001% of this working out well to chance. That’s optimistic beyond belief.
I’m Super High School Level Hope about this roleplay.

Any important updates will be posted in “Lets Play” style, and any character interactions or artworks that are plot relevant will be reblogged to this blog.

There will be a specific tag if you want to read the plot from beginning to end, a tag if you just want to look at fan art, and a tag for other things.

The tag is probably #WhatAmIDoingWithMyLife

If you’re interested in applying, click on the How to Apply page to see the terms and conditions of applying and to view instructions on how to apply. Note that both artistic and literary skills are needed to join.

There are currently 6 spots left open, the deadline will be sometime in the next two weeks.

Hold the loving phone. They believe they can find six people who want in on this garbage? Is society that ravaged?
Six people? You mean six spots LEFT. There was probably 16 or so spots to begin with. MIND BLOWN TO LITTLE ANIME PIECES.
We’re gonna have to read about 22 fake SHSL people? I’m feeling “buyer’s remorse” and I didn’t even spend money.

If you have anything relevant to the group to post or want me to see something, use the #Super Dangan Ronpa Dead End or #SDRDE tag.

We look forward to having you.

At this point we’d like to remind everyone to play nice with these people. Don’t stalk them, don’t do anything weird to them! In fact, the less they know about this RolePurae(?), the better! (Although it probably won’t be long since they know about SA’s Dangan Ronpa 2 thread and everything.) Let’s try to observe them in their natural habitat for as long as we can!
Yes, while I would jokingly encourage that all SDRDE participants really do get involved in a murder game, but to hell with the investigation aspect, if you bug them or anything they might stop, and this poo poo is pretty funny right now.

Upupupupupu…

Oh mah gawd, we have to apply! What’s your character gonna be, slowbeef?
Is Super High School Level Embarrassed taken?
Well, let’s check out the How To Apply Page!

howtoapply
SUPER DANGAN RONPA: DEAD END IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!

Goddammit! There’s no more spots left! Maybe next time.
Please, please don’t let there be a next time.

Before considering joining this roleplay group, you must agree to the following conditions:

Rule 1: No self-awareness that this is the lamest thing ever.

1. Your character can, and will most likely, die. You must be aware of this and give us permission to kill your character within the Super Dangan Ronpa: Dead End universe. You are free to use the character outside of the group.

Wait, wait, I’m sorry. The Terms of Use of Dangan Ronpa Dead End are to let them kill your fake character? Who is fake? And did not live to begin with? I do not believe someone came up with a way to make signing a waiver that shameful.
”BUT I SPENT HOURS DESIGNING MY LVL 100 ROBOT FANTASY MAID CATGIRL CHARACTER!!”
”Hey, don’t blame us. You read the Dangan Ronpa Fangame Privacy Policy and License Agreement. I don’t care how many Deviant Art sketches of that character you made, they’re canonically dead now. DEAD! Take it up with Monobear and while we are on the subject, I have this DeviantArt page full of Monobear photoshopped with picutres of me if you are interested.”

2. You must let me, dragonsroar, the group owner, assign actions to your character and even take control of your character often during plot scenarios.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I’m letting Super High School Level Wine Sommelier’s path of destiny in the hands of “dragonsroar?” You know how many times I made him watch the movie “Sideways” in my imagination? Is there another Dangan Ronpa roleplay group I can sign up with? This is my top tier character, and he needs to be guided professionally!
Dragonsroar is a Super High School Level Mind Rapist Puppeteer. DANCE, ANIMES. DANCE.
But my wine sommelier...

3. You are essentially applying for your character to be in a “Let’s Play” style story with roleplay on the side. So very often your character will be used in plot posts without me asking for permission each and every time. This is so the story is not spoiled to you or anyone else. You will have free reign over your character’s actions outside of dictated plot aspects. You may even choose to initiate an action I would normally dictate (A killing, accusing someone of being a murderer, ect)

So this is basically someone’s fanfiction that they are graciously allowing people to roleplay within, but not actually affect? This is like a turducken of patheticness.
Please don’t implicate my favorite creation, “Matty Soblatty, Super High School Level Turducken Eater” in this nonsense. He and the wine sommelier are friends.

4. You must let me draw the character as often as I like for short movies/plot posts. Most likely I will draw a portrait of every character to use in dialogue to keep the style consistent.

M... movies? Oh hell yes. I unironically want this train to loving go right along. I need to see the execution videos of a Dangan Ronpa fangame on Tumblr. That is now a goal.

5. At times, I will need to use “godmode” and control your character, or tell your character what they can and cannot do.

Sadly, this is probably the only context in which roleplayers will ever feel a minor amount of control or power in their lives.
Wait, wait, Godmode? Like from DOOM? Does this guy even have any idea what game he’s obsessed with?
Don’t ask how I know this (except you can, it’s a funny story), but GODMODE means that someone in the roleplay chooses to control another character’s actions. It’s a thing that causes a ton of drama in roleplayer circles because they have skewed priorities in their lives. It can even go so far that you can’t land a punch on another character because you have to give that person a chance to DODGE IT. Can’t just say “VoidBurger punched slowbeef and he landed on his rear end.” you gotta say “VoidBurger takes a swing at slowbeef aaaaand........”
…Can I invoke GODMODE to rewrite the past so poo poo like what you’re talking about never, ever happened?
Only if life is one big roleplay, in which case I WANT OUT. WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS.

… And, that’s about it. If you agree to the following, read on. By applying, you give me permission to do all of the above.

Haha, “If you agree to the following, read on.” OUR TUMBLR PARTNER AGREEMENT SAYS YOU CAN’T EVEN READ BEYOND THIS IF YOU DON’T AGREE. I AM SUPER HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL LEGAL AGREEMENT GUY.
You can’t stop me, I’m a Super High School Level Rebel. I’M READIN’ IT.
My Super High School Level Lawyers will hear of this!
Wait, so they didn’t pass the bar exam...? They’re still in high school? We haven’t even hit the first real update and I’m not sure what SHSL means anymore!
They’re so Super, they don’t even need to take the LSATs.

Requirements for Prospective Applicants:
This Tumblr roleplay group requires
INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED artistic skill and literacy.

Ummm I only read roleplays at a College reading level, thanks.
I want everyone to really, really keep this in mind. When you read poo poo from this Tumblr, the author is now setting the standards, themselves mind you!, to INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED. I do not necessarily want to judge this person’s work harshly, but they ARE loving BEGGING ME TO.

Before applying, check out the galleries of some of our already accepted members and compare your artwork to theirs. If you believe you match the artwork standards, you are clear on the artistic part.

For the literacy aspect, it is recommended you attach a work of writing.

Please attach a resume and cover letter to your application for the Super Dangan Ronpa Dead End roleplay.
My recruiter mentioned nothing about literacy, please and thank you. Is the job still available?

This can be a story, a rant post, or just something you wrote with a lot of text where you tried to keep the quality good. Though, it’s completely optional. Regardless of whether you attach that or not, we’ll be rifling through your blog to make sure you match the standards (and that you’re not an rear end in a top hat)-

If I rant about how much I hate assholes, do I automatically get accepted?
Look, I don’t want the other 21 hypothetical blog students in this fantasy to think I’m an rear end in a top hat. Is there a way I can not have you rifle through my blog? It’s private, and it might or might not have to do with Dangan Ronpa fanhood...
*Dragonsroar basks in the cold glow of his or her laptop. This is his/her domain. She/He sips on his/her chai tea and begins to work. She/He has a lot of blogs to rifle through to make sure they match the demanding, high standards for some stupid, embarrassing internet bullshit. It’s tough work, but somebody’s gotta do it. They didn’t call him/her a Super High School Level Roleplayer for nothing.*
...Wow, you know, that really did sound like a passage from Dangan Ronpa Zero.

That being said, if you submit from a sideblog or something with no posts on it you will be automatically disqualified!

Also, when filling out desired character gender, please remember that we want an equal girl/boy rate. So when we start, we will have 8 girls and 8 boys.

AND I ALREADY SHIP ALL OF THEM.
Is a “sideblog” actually a thing nowadays? How the gently caress does that work? “My fake character in this murder mystery might have a secondary blog of his own.” “Well, that’s fine, one level of meta is okay.” “Is it okay if that character in the blog has another character who has a blog of her own?” “Whoa, pal, that’s one level of misdirection too many. NEXT!”

If you understand all of the above, you are free to proceed onto the application page (submissions) and fill out the following form:
Desired Name:
Have you read Dangan Ronpa/SDR2?:
Artwork Examples:
Literary Examples (optional):

Ahahaha. “You provide a desired name, artwork examples, and whether or not you’ve read Dangan Ronpa the LP. And after that, A PEER REVIEWED WRITING SAMPLE.”
Desired name: Sasuke Matsumoto-kun-chan-sama
Have you read Dangan Ronpa: no, what’s that lol???
Artwork examples: :3--< <--it’s a catgirl
Literary examples: bookes, novels, scribbles on the sidewalk, manga, Nanowrimos....
”Listen lady, I stopped reading after ‘kun-chan-sama’ - don’t bother with the rest of the application, you are HIRED.”

Desired Super High School Level Talent:
Desired Character Gender:
We have no deadline, we accept on a standard meeting rate. If someone applies that we believe would be a great addition to the group, we will accept them as soon as possible.
If we reject you, don’t be sad!

You can’t control my feelings, dragonsroar! :’(
...How terrible could you be, creatively, that you get rejected FROM THIS!!!

Remember, there are only 16 spots, so it’s gonna be tight. There’s tons of other groups you could possibly join, go rifle around deviantArt groups and you’re sure to find one you’ll fit in to.

I got accepted! What do I do?

Kill yourself.
Or get a normal hobby. Like making fun of internet roleplayers.

Congratulations! Good to have you on board. Your first duty is to create a blog for your character. Please name the blog your characters first and last name (ex: narutouzumaki)

Wait, who in their right mind says “ex. narutouzumaki”. Like in any context? What could that even remotely be an example of?
Humanity's decline.

, and if it’s taken, add a dash somewhere.

This is officially way too complicated, screw it.

It’s just far too confusing with a bunch of interest-related names, so we’re keeping it simple.

Next, you need to fill out the character form:

It’s preferred you only put the bust on the ID card.

Of course it is.
Really, this whole thing is a bust.

You will need to provide me with a CLEAN fullbody piece of your character along with the ID card (they may be the same illustration)

God help you if your Super High School Level RolePlay Character is unkempt for this.
You are discriminating against my Super High School Level Hoarder character! :argh:
Discrimination my rear end, my SHSL OCD character loves it... w... wait, I might have messed up the acronyms here. What were we talking about?

The fullbody should be complete (shading and everything) and a relatively large size. I may be using these at different points in time throughout the story. (Probably not for panels though, I’m just going to draw every character their own talksprite so the style is consistent for plot and story progression posts.)

”Talksprite.” That’s a thing now, huh?
Is it really called that outside of a game? They do know this is not a game, right?
I don’t want to delve into their psyche, even that superficially.

Please send these in a link in the same submission as your character’s ID card. Also please include-

Desired Motif: (What does your character represent? Hearts? Keys? Scissors, like Fukawa? Just pick a symbol or idea.)

Correct me if I’m wrong... but I don’t think the characters in the games were heavy on the symbolism, were they? Or have I just not analyzed Dangan Ronpa as much as these folks have?
No, see, Fukawa represented scissors, because she had scissors. If you forget what verbs mean, then yeah, that’s totally representation there. It’s like how Kirigiri represented gloves, or Yamada represented this Tumblr’s fanbase.

Brief backstory:
Personality:
Largest desire:

My wine sommelier wanted an elephant. He’d have won this category.

Most prized possession:

It’s certainly not dignity.

Biggest secret:

”I created Super Dangan Ronpa Dead End.” “You take that to the grave!”

Reason for pursuing Super High School Level Talent:
The above will NOT BE DISTRIBUTED.

Except for the whole “We’re putting it on tumblr for the whole Internet” thing. I mean, other than that, no distribution...

They are simply to decide plot aspects, if your character should be involved in a twist, special event, ect. You can change the above at any time, just resubmit the form with the edited items. So don’t be stressed about getting it perfect the first time, as long as you give me a general idea we’ll be fine.

After you finish, upload it to tumblr on your character’s blog, and tag it #Super Dangan Ronpa Dead End. I’ll probably see it in the tag (if the tag lags, just put a thing in the ask box that says “I finished the app!”) and I’ll look at it. If there’s anything that needs to be fixed, I’ll tell you and you can submit it to the group. Just wait patiently for the other applicants to finish.

We’ll be seeing you there!

And we’ll be making fun of it!
Super High School Level Criticism! Oh, no, did I just invent a new character for SDR: DEAD END??!?! drat you!

CHAPTER 1: BETTER OFF DEAD

….

Is this thing on?
”It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.” Nah, Undo. Black screen and ellipses are just as good.
This *IS* an anime game/roleplay/sad thing after all, gotta have those ellipses.

How did this happen?

I think you like, select a rectangle in Photoshop, make a white vertical gradient rectangle, post it on Tumblr, call it a day. There may or may not be Dangan Ronpa fanfiction involved, but that’s what the backspace key is for.

Am I dreaming?
…. Is it time for breakfast?
Oh, wait. I think…

Hopes Peak Academy. A school of prestige that recruits talented students from around the world, with a promise of success later in their life. Deemed “The Academy of Hope” by many, its education is seen as the pinnacle of quality….

”We named it ‘Hope’s Peak Academy’ and people starting deeming it ‘The Academy of Hope.’ Darndest thing.”
“Hope’s Peak Academy... it’s better known by its nickname “Academy of Dopes” because the people who go there keep dying like idiots.”

Though it leads me to wonder, does the school determine the student’s success or do the students just happen to get good places in life because they’re the most talented teenagers in the world? Oh, I’m getting off topic.

More intriguing than the chicken and the egg! Also, I somehow doubt that being a Super High School Level Mechanic is going to get you rich and famous no matter if you went to Hope’s Peak for it or not. You’re still going to spend most of your life under filthy vehicles. Or a mech, depending on how anime this really gets from here on out.

Anyway, there are two requirements to getting accepted to this school. One must be a high school student, and one must be top in their respective field. They’re unique because you can’t apply to the academy. They personally track down the most talented students and send them invitations to enroll.

But then, that begs the question.

(Psst, not a question.)
(Psst, the question is coming up, but she should have used a colon to indicate that, not a period to end the statement. INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED LITERARY LEVEL ROLEPLAY.)

Why the gently caress was I accepted?

Young lady, mind your language! What are you, a SHSL Sailor?
I no joke tried to wipe that thing on her cheek off my monitor. I bet anyone who reads that sentence goes back up and still tries anyway.

Okay, sorry. You don’t even know me yet.

My name is Shitai Sinclaire. Yeah, my name is a bit odd-

Not at all. My name is actually Urutsumujinananoki Jones. Fairly common name.

Please don’t call me corpse*, that’s rude.

*Shitai can mean corpse in Japanese.

You’d never know this was written by English-speaking people. So authentic. Like a California roll.
A few things about all this strike me as “shitai.”

I’m just a normal high school student. I’m not Super High School Level anything, in my opinion. I’m not athletic, I can’t draw, I can’t write (emphasis: slowbeef's)

Ok, I know it’s low-hanging fruit but AHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Heyyy for what it’s worth she (he?)’s pretty decent at drawing, in my opinion. It’s just sad that those skills have been applied to this instead of something better. Like anything.
I will grant you it's not bad character art, but I had to take that joke. It was right there.

I’m not double jointed, I can’t touch my nose with my tongue,

Gene Simmons: Super High School Level Nose-To-Tongue-Toucher.

I just can’t do anything extraordinary. I guess if you were to give me a Super High School Level talent, I’d be a Super High School Level Spoon Balancer because I can balance three spoons on my face for like 12 seconds. Hey, don’t laugh. I bet you can’t.

Don’t worry, I didn’t laugh.

So, that’s why when I got an “Acceptance Letter” to Hope’s Peak Academy, I left it on the kitchen table for a couple days.

Pictured: Someone’s kitchen table. Please note that the someone in question is like a park ranger I guess because that is a picnic table and you can’t tell me otherwise.
This table is not Japanese enough. At least throw some Pocky on there!

Really though, can you blame me? I thought someone had pulled a prank on me. Stick a fake acceptance letter in my mailbox, and when I get excited and open it, it’s some crudely drawn image of an explicit body part. I wasn’t going to let that happen. So, to spite them, I let it sit there until the week before school.

Just for kicks, I opened the letter to see what was inside. I expected a couple bad drawings, maybe some bugs or something, but instead what was inside was what I least expected.

An actual acceptance letter.

I got accepted for being “the person possessing Super High-School Level Hope.” Hope? Is that even a talent? The only thing I’m exceptional at hoping for is my next meal. I’ve never been another person, so I don’t know how other people go about hoping…

What we’ve learned about our heroine: Her name is “corpse” and she has never been another person. Got it.
Also we know that her parents hate her because they named her CORPSE.

Regardless, here I am now.

I stood outside Hope’s Peak Academy, counting my breaths.

I take it there’s no verbal section to the Hope’s Peak Academy entrance exams- a- are those wings?
Maybe they make her aerodynamic. I noticed that she also has a wittle hair bow at the very very end of her hair. This renders a hair tie virtually useless, like her jacketwings.

Inside were so many talents… People whose trash was worth more than my entire existence. And I was going to join them.

I shook my head, closed my eyes, and walked into the school…

Maybe it was a bad idea to close my eyes.

*Audience whoops and cheers to see Monobear enter the scene. Applause slowly dies as they realize that it’s Monobear’s adorable Aussie cousin, MonoKoala.*
That’s like a knockoff Monobear, right? Like when you see those plush toys that aren’t officially sanctioned by the company in crane games down the shore and they look terrible? Seriously, I cannot believe I’m saying this but that is straight-the-gently caress-up pirated Monobear. He’s even going to stab her, which kinda undermines the whole murder game aspect. And by aspect, I mean “whole loving idea behind.” How can you be such a dedicated fan to do this, and yet miss the point of the game, by like a light year?
Obviously, the protagonist didn’t just get murdered and they’re probably gonna wake up from blacking out in the next episode. How do you knock someone out with a knife? That takes a lot of skill to stab someone to sleep. Maybe he hit her with the handle, but c’mon, give him a baseball bat if you want blunt force trauma. Or maybe a syringe of knock-out juice if you don’t wanna draw bat-action. A knife is a pretty weird choice. I kinda like the idea of the gif though, that’s kinda cute.
Jacketwings cute?

That's all for the Intros and part 1, but here were our rejected IDs (credit and props to VB):

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSsssss

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Well, that got boring fast

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JamMasterJim posted:

Well, that got boring fast

It gets even more boring in terms of plot, but better in terms of mocking material.

mangoman321
Apr 10, 2009
Man, I have to agree with everyone else in really digging the new trial mechanics. Being able to agree with people is in retrospect a really obvious way to make people other than the player character have competent points to make. I can already foresee having trial segments with both red and blue text that we need to puzzle out whether to agree or disagree with someone, making for more complex gameplay. The game's writing and thought processes all make sense and flow logically, with pretty much every argument that our classmates are putting forth being things that we in the thread already discussed at length.

I agree (or should I say concur?) that a time where the protagonist is actually legitimately wrong would be interesting to watch. It happened a few times in the Phoenix Wright games, where Phoenix would just throw out really dumb points when he's floundering for an argument to stand on, and when he got mercilessly shot down it was always fun to watch. Hinata doesn't seem the type to throw out really dumb points, but I can see the game mimicking another technique the Phoenix Wright games did, where the protagonist puts forth intentionally wrong arguments or accuses someone he knows is innocent just to buy time or change the subject. I can see Hinata trying something like this, only to get shot down by one of the more competent classmates. It would actually be kind of what Naegi did to Kirigiri in the fake ending in DR1, pointing out the truth but unintentionally screwing her over in the process.

As for the way the mystery is going, I'm still on board with Hanamura being the culprit. Souda being super set on Peko being the culprit is still suspicious, but he might just end up being the Hagakure/Aoi of this game with passionately making accusations without really much to back them up. Like the thread is saying, it probably went Nagito setting up the knife, then Hanamura under the floor for the kill. My main concern is that I just can't get behind Nagito being an attempted murderer. Not based on any evidence, really, he just isn't giving me the vibe of someone who was so desperate to get off the island that he would plan a murder. A while ago I brought up that maybe he and Togami were originally working together to fake Togami's death, which would explain the setup without Nagito actually planning to kill, but really however I try to think it out the whole thing just seems monumentally stupid. What seems more likely is that Nagito may be a mole or a traitor or something; maybe he's in the same situation Sakura was in DR1 where he's being threatened into messing with things to sow maximum despair. Whatever it is, I feel strongly that there is more to Nagito's actions than simply wanting to kill and get off the island.

FInally just want to say that the translation is as always really good. Oren and Fedule are both doing great at giving characters voices with subtly good writing. In Japanese it's easy to just take grammatical shortcuts to give a sense of a character's voice, like for example having Hinata seem more forceful than Naegi was. Having Hinata use 'ore' instead of 'boku' as his first person pronoun, or take Naegi's classic rebuttal (sore wa chigau) and roughen it up (sore wa chigauzou) are quick and simple ways to get the point across that they have different personalities. There's no real way to convey this change in English, but you guys do a drat good job of it with just solid writing all around. Not to say that the original writing is bad or lazy, of course, but you guys really knock it out of the park.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
There's already a few updates for that roleplay by the way! I would personally prefer it if people didn't post spoilers, because the awful, awful character designs are goddamn hilarious and the episodes are boring without those reveals. Also, we don't want anyone to give these roleplayers a tough time, so don't bother them! Let them roleplay in their natural environment.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
It's everything I could've hoped it would be, and more. As someone who has read all the updates for that roleplay, I very much look forward to this.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Wow. Um. That was so bland, reaching and unfunny, I'm not exactly sure what's going on here. You say you don't want people going after the roleplayers, but then why present their product to us as something to be ridiculed? As far as I can tell, this seems like some nerds from one kind of complicated hobby (let's play) deciding to find another complicated nerd hobby to pick on (tumblr roleplay).

It's one thing to retsupurae a let's play that cannot provide good quality of recording, commentary, editing or anything else. Those are things you know about and have authority to speak on; that's what makes it entertaining. It's another to find something you know nothing about what constitutes quality in those circles and... well, make fun of every aspect. Guess I'm just letting my opinion be known that this is nearly painful to look at for how gratuitous and shame-y I find it. If you wanted to make fun of people making up their own SHSLs, I would have found it more effective to post some pictures of designs and then just disclaimer that they look silly, nothing against the artists who drew them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well, this is a delightfully unexpected gift! I never thought I'd see the day that slowbeef would be willing to put in the time and effort to make a written Retsupurae. Because that is a ridiculous amount of free time spent making fun of people.

Do continue. :allears:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I never thought I'd see the day that slowbeef would be willing to put in the time and effort to make a written Retsupurae.

You might want to search for that "purest form of let's play is a hybrid LP" Mega Man Zero thread.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I thought that was dreadfully unfunny, and pretty much nothing more than mean-spirited shaming. If you want to point out how bad an RP is, point out what is bad about the RP, and joke about that; don't write up an intentionally bad parody with a major undertone of "People who RP sure are freaks, aren't they?". I'd be pretty uncomfortable with this sort of thing in any other thread, and am even more uncomfortable that it's coming from a mod.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Shoopuf posted:

Wow. Um. That was so bland, reaching and unfunny, I'm not exactly sure what's going on here. You say you don't want people going after the roleplayers, but then why present their product to us as something to be ridiculed?

I really don't want you to think I'm coming back on you for the criticism, but I have to be honest: this is what this website (Something Awful) was founded on.

Shoopuf posted:

As far as I can tell, this seems like some nerds from one kind of complicated hobby (let's play) deciding to find another complicated nerd hobby to pick on (tumblr roleplay).

No, I refuse to conflate LP with Tumblr Roleplay. I am completely serious and if you really think those are equal, I want you to reconsider being here. I'm not joking; making fun videos about video games doesn't mean pretending to be characters from them.

If you found what we did unfunny, that's fine, but I'm completely rejecting that. Let's Play is not fandom as obsessive as this.

Shoopuf posted:

It's one thing to retsupurae a let's play that cannot provide good quality of recording, commentary, editing or anything else. Those are things you know about and have authority to speak on; that's what makes it entertaining. It's another to find something you know nothing about what constitutes quality in those circles and... well, make fun of every aspect. Guess I'm just letting my opinion be known that this is nearly painful to look at for how gratuitous and shame-y I find it. If you wanted to make fun of people making up their own SHSLs, I would have found it more effective to post some pictures of designs and then just disclaimer that they look silly, nothing against the artists who drew them.

I really, really think you're taking this way too seriously. I know I wrote part of it and please believe me when I say that I am completely fine with "this wasn't funny," "this was boring," whatever.

I cannot accept "it is okay to make fun of Let's Play, but it is not okay to make fun of people making their own fan-based Dangan Ronpa games." That is beyond ridiculous.

Please take a step back and realize this is fanfiction starring a character named Shitai Sinclaire. Now tell me we are not allowed to make fun of this.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Pfft, I found it funny. Let their interactive fanfiction be criticized, they put it on tumblr for everyone to see. Hell, they'll probably feel honored their thing was mentioned in the ~Super Dangan Ronpa LP thread~

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, I thought that was dreadfully unfunny, and pretty much nothing more than mean-spirited shaming. If you want to point out how bad an RP is, point out what is bad about the RP, and joke about that; don't write up an intentionally bad parody with a major undertone of "People who RP sure are freaks, aren't they?". I'd be pretty uncomfortable with this sort of thing in any other thread, and am even more uncomfortable that it's coming from a mod.

Nerds hypocritically making fun of other nerds for their nerdery is a grand old internet tradition! Why else do you think you aren't allowed to use "anime" emotes on something awful?

And actually, just this first chapter sets off a bunch of online RP red flags for me, so I don't see a problem making light of it. Retsuprae is the same thing. Sometimes people do dumb poo poo and we all point and laugh and feel better about ourselves

VoidBurger posted:

What she said.

lunarpigeon
Dec 19, 2012
The most baffling thing about that project is that in a series with all of three dozen characters they thought there should be another whose name translates to 'corpse'

that is a spot that has already been filled!

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
I actually sort of liked reading the 'roleplay' on the basis of the art. That is, until I learned that the mod is controlling almost everything. gently caress that poo poo, they deserve this now, and it shall be glorious. The biggest issue I saw originally, after it was brought to my attention, was the stupid "Intermediate to Advanced" Art skills.

Go slowbeef and Voidburger.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

slowbeef posted:

Please take a step back and realize this is fanfiction starring a character named Shitai Sinclaire. Now tell me we are not allowed to make fun of this.

I'm not saying you're not allowed. I'm saying the premise of this "retsupurae" is that you take the whole shebang out of context and thus is unfunny to me. That is literally all I said, only with more words to try and avoid being called out, or... whatever this was.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

quote:

Let's Play the fan roleplay game: Super Dangan Ronpa: Dead End!

:allears: Fantastic! Will you be updating periodically as you finish new segments? Since I don't want to go and look for the source material, can you tell us how much content is already up on the roleplay tumblr, you mentioned introduction segments at least?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I never knew slowbeef was so kawaii uguu. :allears:

I'm just joking, please don't smite me

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

KazigluBey posted:

:allears: Fantastic! Will you be updating periodically as you finish new segments? Since I don't want to go and look for the source material, can you tell us how much content is already up on the roleplay tumblr, you mentioned introduction segments at least?

I've glanced through it and unless I'm mistaken, they've done all/most of the introductions, like meeting the characters.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Yeah, I try to be self-aware when doing stuff like this, which is why this comment:

slowbeef posted:

...was part of the Retsu.

KazigluBey posted:

:allears: Fantastic! Will you be updating periodically as you finish new segments?
Probably!

KazigluBey posted:

Since I don't want to go and look for the source material, can you tell us how much content is already up on the roleplay tumblr, you mentioned introduction segments at least?
There's seven parts already out. I think all but 3 or so characters have been introduced.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

fool_of_sound posted:

You can't shame people without shame.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. Roleplaying is some seriously weird poo poo, even by the standards of whatever hobbies have threads in these very forums.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Making fun of what amounts to bad fanfiction is open game, really. Just because more than one person is making it doesn't really distinguish it from any other artistic endeavor that ends up being hilariously awful. I fully expect the writing and character-interaction to be hackneyed and trying too hard to capture the style that remains outside their ken.

The artist isn't bad when it comes to technical ability, but their taste level is questionable. That's really the tragedy here.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

HangedManArcana posted:

I actually sort of liked reading the 'roleplay' on the basis of the art. That is, until I learned that the mod is controlling almost everything. gently caress that poo poo, they deserve this now, and it shall be glorious. The biggest issue I saw originally, after it was brought to my attention, was the stupid "Intermediate to Advanced" Art skills.

Go slowbeef and Voidburger.

Yeah, that's part of the reason why I'm not getting mad over it -- if it were a whole bunch of tumblr dudes coming together and working things out plot-wise then I'd be a little 'ehh' but here? If you want to control a bunch of new anime teens to your own specifications, just write a self-insert fanfiction or something.

The art is okay, at least. I can't really bag on them for that, considering my own artistic skills are paltry at best.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think the whole thing is... just... precious.

Yeah. That's the word I'm going with.

I mean, sure, the whole thing is ridiculous, but it's just... these people are so sure of themselves that one can't help but feel a bit mean when mocking them. Then one actually reads through the stuff they're making and one is suddenly just fine with it again.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

slowbeef posted:

As opposed to the reasonable, down-to-earth names we've seen so far in Dangan Ronpa.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My only suggestion for the RP is maybe resize both of your commentator avatars to about half size or see if there's a better way to distinguish your text from the roleplay's text. They're pretty large as they are and I found myself missing some of the roleplay's lines in between them as I read.

Otherwise, I'm ready to see where this rabbit hole leads.

• Locked thread