Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Splits posted:

I feel the same way. I can't seem to get into it.

Anyone have any good loot grind RPGs on iPhone or iPad that don't hinge on IAP?

It's entirely that. The fun comes, like in most RPGs for me, in streamlining my characters to stomp challenges far above my level while stuck on a bus or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Some more advice about Loststar: With the expansion, there's a starter class that focuses on buffs, with the right skills and deck you can cast 2+ buffs a turn for free which is the only way to make healing good in this game. Between buffs, long range disablers that grant a second turn and high damage AoE you can get a lot out of a deck. Disabling the enemy should be a priority for the hardest expansion battles, luckily you can stack debuffs and poison infinitely which allows laser rain guys to kill like 10 enemies from a map away without them even moving with the right skills. Picking the right skills on levelup is super important because if you pick bad ones that fill up a slot your character is ruined forever and you may as well replace it. You can actually gently caress up kinda permanently if your party is so bad that you miss out in time limited missions that give you cool new classes, so dont replay missions needlessly but push forward as much as you can. any action costs days.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

I just finished Tactical Warrior the other day after having it parked on my iPhone for the past couple of years. When I first played it, I stalled out at the beginning of the second map and took forever to pick the game back up again. Since it's so often recommended in this thread, here's some advice for beginners to help wade into the game so that doesn't happen to you. Sorry it's so long, but there's no real good guides online, so here you go:
  • Start on Easy, as you get achievements that unlock different starting items and eventually starting parties. It also gives you a chance to figure out which mechanics you like and which you hate. It's also not a terribly long game (3 maps).
  • A good base Easy "party" is 3 or 4 Barbarians all with the same build. From there, add on one of each type of the other classes.
  • My recommendation for Barbarians (courtesy of a TouchArcade poster): by level 15 have Tackle, War Cry, Rage and Devastation all around 3 and Rugged Hide, Regeneration, Great Stamina all around around 2. By level 23 you want your actives to be all around 4 (with War Cry maxed first and foremost) and passives around 3. By level 36 you want Tackle 6, War Cry 8, Rage 6, Devastate 4, with Rugged Hide 5, Great Stamina 4, Regeneration 5.
  • The strategy is to use Rage as you advance, which increases the damage output for War Cry. Then use War Cry as much as possible on as many enemies as possible to lock them down by stealing their stamina and adding it to yours. If you can't War Cry on at least 2 enemies, Tackle/Devastate instead if you're in range. Try to have Rage always active before moving in, if possible, because wasting a turn to put it back on while under attack will never seem like a great idea.
  • If you don't love Devastate for Barbarians, switch it for the Ferocity passive instead. Devastate is easy enough to line up but a constant base damage bonus will serve you well also.
  • Be sure not to miss having a Monk and a Gladiator. They each have an active skill where it allows you to make another attack immediately afterwards if you have enough stamina. For Monks, doing 3 Monkey Kicks followed by a Bounding Kick is a good way to output tons of damage by the mid-game. Gladiators have two repeatable attacks: a melee which increases their armor, and one that does special damage at range. Both of these classes also have great passive abilities.
  • A Healer is good to have for its mobility, its Gaze special damage and Quick Shots along with potions that heal friendlies while damaging enemies. Knights have a special damage attack that lowers melee armor, which pairs well with their melee flurry attack.
  • I missed taking on any animals or the Alchemist in my Easy playthrough. I'd probably not take the Rocketeer in favour of, say, a badger next time around. Archers, Champions and Junglemen are really useful in the early game but far less so towards the middle and end.
  • Start with the Champion/Barbarian party, and with a skill scroll/book as your starting item if possible. Barbarians will always have ranged attacks as a weak spot for armor, so always keep them in tunic-type items. Skill scrolls/books are always the preferred other item, as critical hits are highly desirable, and this applies for all units. Armor items with secondary effects are a good item as for all other units.
  • You will be able to respec your units (in barter for items) from the second map on. So don't worry if they're not optimized at first, and also don't worry about trading up for non-skillbooks/armor items because you'll need old crappy items to pay for respecs.
  • If you see a skill on level up that you eventually do want to have, take the initial level in right away, because it may not come up on the next level up. If all your favorite skills are maxed out for your level on level up, you'll have to take something you don't want instead and pay to respec later.
  • Passives with constant effects are always better than those that apply a certain percentage of the time, or at the beginning of battles. You always want to reduce random chance in battles, not increase it.

These are great but I disagree on a few things.

• Animal units are pretty terrible, because they have super low hp. Even the ones with +hp passive can never keep up with weakest human class.
  • Archers are pretty great. +damage on rest passive and + critical hit makes them do insane damage. By the end of the game I could deal 25*4 damage and then follow up with a guaranteed critical power shot. Just be sure to take poison arrow so you can hurt someone with a ton of range defense.
  • If you want animals beastmaster is the way to go. But only pick 2 hounds for pets and take the + animal armor and + animal damage passives. The war hound has a follow up attack and -defense attack.
  • Rangers also have follow up attacks. If you can load up enough stamina they can seriously weaken a large group of enemies.
  • Keep everyone alive! Units get exp for surviving a battle, killing units/towers, and just being a part of the battle.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 18, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Pladdicus posted:

That said the last gameplay stuff they showed looked attrocious, the fact they're hiding it away isn't really all that promising, along with the delays and the somewhat amateurish 'everything' they've been doing. Not that I'm putting nails in this coffin, who knows right? But I would not hold my breath for an mobile gem.
They claim to be heading into "what could be the final week of development" on Twitter, and just posted some more screenshots.

I still have some reservations about the game itself (why on earth are the hallways so wide?), but I really think they're just kind of bad at PR. The game could rock, who knows.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Loststar had an expansion? How much did it add to the game? When it was released I was a little dissapointed. It felt like it was a bunch shorter than Tactical Warrior.

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
If anyone's into Survivor Z, they just updated to 1.2, where you can have a safehouse to store your excess items, and a GPS item that you can find that show different locations you already come across and wanted to search the place again. All in all, that's the second patch that have added value to this game. Fare warning, I was devastated that I lost all my items when I died, which does happen if you're not careful.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Sidpret posted:

Loststar had an expansion? How much did it add to the game? When it was released I was a little dissapointed. It felt like it was a bunch shorter than Tactical Warrior.

A few classes, cards, items and lots and lots of harder & endgame content. I feel like it added a lot of depth and replayability to the game and I spent more time on it than the base game, entirely worth the money if you like the base game.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Meanwhile, what about Ridiculous Fishing and those damned hats. Or, do you need to fish wearing certain hats to find rare fish? I've only got 6 left to find, and even fishing at midnight didn't get me anything new.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

porktree posted:

Meanwhile, what about Ridiculous Fishing and those damned hats. Or, do you need to fish wearing certain hats to find rare fish? I've only got 6 left to find, and even fishing at midnight didn't get me anything new.
If you're trying to get the bottom 4; then you need to be wearing the Hedjet and head to the Home Waters. Beyond that i'll let you figure it out (you'll feel so satisfied when you do).

I'm still stuck getting one from "LOCATION UNKNOWN" and the one "When you believe in yourself". The former is clearly a Maelstrom fish and I think i've just been unlucky with my later spawns in that area (I think it mostly spawns it's unique fish past about 800m) but i've no idea about the latter, I suspect I need to be wearing a particular hat whilst parking my hat on the ice, but equally it could just be a rare spawn. I would've thought "believe in yourself" meant Emperors Clothes but that doesn't seem to be it.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

lol

Anyone else finish Ridiculous Fishing? Does the hat you unlock with Eagleman rank do anything? Anything special for unlocking all the items? I've still got a hat to buy but 80k seems pretty steep for something purely cosmetic. Basically I'm just craving more Easter eggs, although it looks I've hit the end of the line there.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Wario In Real Life posted:

*snip*

lol

Anyone else finish Ridiculous Fishing? Does the hat you unlock with Eagleman rank do anything? Anything special for unlocking all the items? I've still got a hat to buy but 80k seems pretty steep for something purely cosmetic. Basically I'm just craving more Easter eggs, although it looks I've hit the end of the line there.

I'm in the unfortunate list of people who seem to have way too much trouble finding the Mimic fish. I have all the hats (short of the one for getting eagleman rank) and over 500k in the bank from fishing with nothing to spend my money on. I know the mimic fish is just a random find and people have complained about the Steggo, Which I have no problem finding, but it's just frustrating that there's no way to increase my odds on this. I'm doomed to need that one last species...

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

RedRupee posted:

I'm in the unfortunate list of people who seem to have way too much trouble finding the Mimic fish. I have all the hats (short of the one for getting eagleman rank) and over 500k in the bank from fishing with nothing to spend my money on. I know the mimic fish is just a random find and people have complained about the Steggo, Which I have no problem finding, but it's just frustrating that there's no way to increase my odds on this. I'm doomed to need that one last species...

I was wearing the frozen hat and emperors clothes, then set my device time to 1am. It should be in the Maelstrom, after like 800m or so.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

RedRupee posted:

I had the pirate hat on and emperors clothes on, and also set the clock to 1am. I have no idea if that does anything at all but it was the only suggestion I could see for getting them to appear. But they're easy to get once you see them, they float in a < shape so you get two shots at grabbing one and don't really move.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Geekslinger posted:

Aliens versus Humans is pretty much a remake of the original X-Com and is quite good.

http://www.appshopper.com/games/aliens-versus-humans

I don't suppose there are any rumours of them porting over the recent Xcom game at all? I bought it a month or so ago on the xbox and it seems like it would be really well suited to a tablet and would probably shoot straight to the top of the sales charts.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Quinch posted:

I don't suppose there are any rumours of them porting over the recent Xcom game at all? I bought it a month or so ago on the xbox and it seems like it would be really well suited to a tablet and would probably shoot straight to the top of the sales charts.

I spoke to a guy who works at 2K some months ago and he said they were planning an iPad version, I have no idea if he was just talking out his rear end.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It already plays really well with splashtop. XCom can be controlled entirely by left and right click which are simulated press and hold press and other actions have large chunky buttons that are easy to hit on a touchscreen. It wasn't a huge step for them to make touchscreen enabled Civ V, I don't see it being that different with XCom.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

It already plays really well with splashtop. XCom can be controlled entirely by left and right click which are simulated press and hold press and other actions have large chunky buttons that are easy to hit on a touchscreen. It wasn't a huge step for them to make touchscreen enabled Civ V, I don't see it being that different with XCom.

That's an idea. I haven't really used splashtop much due to my pc not being on a lot. Can you use it while the pc is on but locked, or does it have to fully logged in and running?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Someone snuck a GBA emulator on the App Store. Touch Arcade thread. Works about as well as can be expected I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

petewhitley posted:

Someone snuck a GBA emulator on the App Store. Touch Arcade thread. Works about as well as can be expected I guess.

They were even polite enough to put in an in-app web browser so you can download roms directly into the emulator. :downs:

But it seems pretty finicky about which files it'll accept.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does Pokemon Emerald or Fire Red work? My GB Micro is on it's last leg :(

Nevermind, it's already pulled.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

xzzy posted:

They were even polite enough to put in an in-app web browser so you can download roms directly into the emulator. :downs:

But it seems pretty finicky about which files it'll accept.
Yeah, it's an interesting novelty, but it's got some crummy compatibility issues with the games I've tested. Plus it should really be free, I feel dirty paying 1.99 to someone who isn't even the developer of the original emulator.

EDIT: ^^^^^^ wow, pulled pretty fast.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Quinch posted:

That's an idea. I haven't really used splashtop much due to my pc not being on a lot. Can you use it while the pc is on but locked, or does it have to fully logged in and running?

You must be logged in but what I've been doing lately is running a virtual machine as a service so that I can use my PCs resources on my iPad while the girlfriend is logged on and using my PC.

Not the smartest use of electricity but it doesn't seem to tax my i5 2500k and 560ti.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Here are some Nimble Quest promo codes:

PHTFJTXYM76R
LEW7ARF4HE3N
9HKF44RP3PLN
MTMXJHYM9YNM
XMYMNL74N7Y3

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Took XMYMNL74N7Y3 (bottom one). Thanks!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yay! Thank you! Got the third one down, I guess they're all gone by now. Really enjoyed the free weekend :D This plus the awesome baby name app has made for an exciting hour.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

eeenmachine posted:

PHTFJTXYM76R
LEW7ARF4HE3N
9HKF44RP3PLN
MTMXJHYM9YNM
XMYMNL74N7Y3

To save everyone some time, all gone.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

eeenmachine posted:

PHTFJTXYM76R
LEW7ARF4HE3N
9HKF44RP3PLN
MTMXJHYM9YNM
XMYMNL74N7Y3

I used the second one. Thanks.

billybill
Oct 22, 2010
Those went quickly!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Nimble Quest is pretty neat, y'all. Goon made, goon tested, goon approved. :thumbsup:

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Nimble Quest drops on 3/28.
Here is a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QMoe0jzQ8

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
That's like forever from now. Give me a code you turd.

I deserve some sort of royalties for the neverending impressions that Everyplay video gives you. It's been at the top of the page for like 2 weeks now.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

eeenmachine posted:

Here is a trailer:

Wow, whenever you post it's always just shilling for one of your games man.

*edit*

I think we should say the game "plops" instead of drops.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

eeenmachine posted:

Here is a trailer:

So it's like Final Fantasy Snake! :aaa:

Is there a poop boss or a poop power up or really anything that has poop in it? Cause that's kind of your guys' thing! (Still waiting on Poops)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

Here is a trailer:

Had the idea for this been brewing for a while, or is this what popped into your head when this thread was going nuts over train games?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

Had the idea for this been brewing for a while, or is this what popped into your head when this thread was going nuts over train games?

We fell in love with the idea of what Call of Snakes could be if someone actually put effort into it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

marshmonkey posted:

I think we should say the game "plops" instead of drops.

And, as always, MobileCEO is a poo poo head!

Aaaanyway, I think it's time again to promote iCut. This game is a real bastard of a puzzle game and y'all should play it. It's free.

http://appshopper.com/games/new-icut link fixed

Bummey fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 19, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

eeenmachine posted:

Here is a trailer:
I think een and co might have made a mistake - this one really is a game. I was disappointed with how fun and playable it was, and how it never asked me to wait or to stock a shelf. I for one am not comfortable with this "gameplay" they've integrated.

(everybody get it, it's really good)

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Having been in the beta, I agree--NQ is really amazingly fun and you should get it when it plops.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Bummey posted:

Aaaanyway, I think it's time again to promote iCut Deluxe. This game is a real bastard of a puzzle game and y'all should play it. It's free.

http://appshopper.com/games/icut-deluxe

It looks like it was removed from the app store and replaced with New iCut Deluxe which is $2.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I'm still not convinced. I *guess* it looks like a train [of people] but at the same time...

However, after taking part in the beta since forever ago it is pretty sweet.

• Locked thread