Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Proto Cloud posted:

I'm honestly enjoying EP more than IS right now. So far it's actually a challenge unlike IS PSP, which from beginning to end, I just trucked through the game and made battles more of a slog. The dated UI and translation are a bit of an issue though.

Rebalancing and updating the battle systems (as an optional mode, of course) in the PSP Persona up-ports was a missed opportunity by Atlus. I guess it's cool they abandoned straight up rom dumping their games (and, hence, allowed for localizations) but some more substantial additions would've been nice.

New gameplay trailer for Soul Hackers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pvbmw5oJI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

New SMT4 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfkwasBfV-E

Couple of points of interest: In the battle against Asmodeus, the hero has 0 HP, but the battle is still going on. We also get to see the partner character (Jonathan, in this case) help out against a boss and a Mysterious Giant Demon Shadow in the mist.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Rinkles posted:

Rebalancing and updating the battle systems (as an optional mode, of course) in the PSP Persona up-ports was a missed opportunity by Atlus. I guess it's cool they abandoned straight up rom dumping their games (and, hence, allowed for localizations) but some more substantial additions would've been nice.
It's a real shame because the story is so amazingly clever that having such a mediocre, unexciting and easy battle system ruins its claim to be a legitimate classic. (And yes, I'm counting hard, which is a joke because it only buffs enemy stats slightly) It has some neat ideas like fusion spells, but somehow is less rewarding than even P1's.

Definitely enjoying EP though. It's a good challenge so far that I'm forced to level up, use fusion spells and consider my choices. Wish they hadn't reused so much material from the first part though. Oh well.

quote:

New gameplay trailer for Soul Hackers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pvbmw5oJI
Man, the wait for this one is killing me. I've been itching for a new First Person SMT to play for a while now.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
Man, all this talk of EP makes me really sad that it's not on the EU PSN store (yet?).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm still working my way through Strange Journey and I'm in sector D. The dungeons get worse from here don't they?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Len posted:

I'm still working my way through Strange Journey and I'm in sector D. The dungeons get worse from here don't they?

Sector E is the worst dungeon in the game. The rest are not really very bad.

Really wish they'd let us draw on the map like in Etrian Odyssey though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Len posted:

Yeah but kind of in different ways. By the time you get to E just look up a guide or map because there are teleporter puzzles (gently caress teleporter puzzles)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah but kind of in different ways. By the time you get to E just look up a guide or map because there are teleporter puzzles (gently caress teleporter puzzles)

I don't really feel quite as bad cheating now. I don't think I'd want to bother with these dungeons if I had to worry about random encounters.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pureauthor posted:

I actually prefer not doing it. I guess the best of both worlds would be to have it automatically update but allow you to add stuff to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Considering they obviously used the EO engine it boggles my loving mind they didn't include the option to make notes or marks.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
It's SMT. They did it on purpose just to keep it "classic" I guess. Like I said before, at least it's nowhere near as nightmarish as the first game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

News roundup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50wulf9wLAs

The latest SMT4 trailer subtitled.

Famitsu should be running their Devil Survivor 2 3DS coverage in next week's issue, so expect some scans to drop Tuesday night.

A port of the Playstation version of Shin Megami Tensei if... is hitting the app store (in Japan):

if... isn't very good, but you'll see when the translation patch comes out. This is the nicest looking SMT app port, but that's because if... didn't get a GBA port like 1 and 2.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Who wants to bet that this'll get an overseas release as is as well? :shepface:

Seriously, why did they bother releasing SMT1 and 2 untranslated on the App store? Did anyone actually buy those?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Who wants to bet that this'll get an overseas release as is as well? :shepface:

Seriously, why did they bother releasing SMT1 and 2 untranslated on the App store? Did anyone actually buy those?

That seems to be somewhat common with Japanese iOS devs. They did the same thing with Wizardry Gaiden: Prisoners of the Battles and Sorcerian iOS, both by different developers.

I didn't buy SMT1/2, but I have bought a handful of untranslated Japanese apps on the App store. I realize I'm in the extreme minority here, but I don't have a language barrier issue and also don't have what I need to get apps on the Japanese app store (no Japanese credit card or willingness to pay exorbitant premiums on imported gift cards) so it's nice to have. Better that they put them there untranslated than not at all.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Wait, after watching the translated trailer, did Oberon get a redesign? Or is this old artwork they're reusing? The old-manish demon at 2:20 is Oberon.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Snix posted:

Wait, after watching the translated trailer, did Oberon get a redesign? Or is this old artwork they're reusing? The old-manish demon at 2:20 is Oberon.

It's an old one from the 32-bit era.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Huh. I don't know why they wouldn't use the post-Nocturne design, but this game's art is a clusterfuck anyways.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

TurnipFritter posted:

Famitsu should be running their Devil Survivor 2 3DS coverage in next week's issue, so expect some scans to drop Tuesday night.

I knew I made the right choice by skipping out on DSV2 the first time around. I knew Atlus couldn't help themselves making an Overclocked version of it.

As for the Appstore games, is there a legitimate reason as to why Atlus USA won't translate them? (Well, besides God-killing of course)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

TurnipFritter posted:

New SMT4 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfkwasBfV-E

Couple of points of interest: In the battle against Asmodeus, the hero has 0 HP, but the battle is still going on. We also get to see the partner character (Jonathan, in this case) help out against a boss and a Mysterious Giant Demon Shadow in the mist.

I wonder if there's going to be another Fiend sidequest in this game. There's a remix of the Fiend battle music from Nocturne that starts around 1:30 through the video which indicates that they might bring that sidequest back.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Snix posted:

Huh. I don't know why they wouldn't use the post-Nocturne design, but this game's art is a clusterfuck anyways.

His post-Nocturne design is his original design from SMT1 (although they had the decency to actually have redraw the actual art). They're switching it up for variety's sake, I suppose.

Proto Cloud posted:

As for the Appstore games, is there a legitimate reason as to why Atlus USA won't translate them? (Well, besides God-killing of course)

No one would buy them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Proto Cloud posted:

I knew I made the right choice by skipping out on DSV2 the first time around. I knew Atlus couldn't help themselves making an Overclocked version of it.

I'm thinking it's either they don't wanna piss off the fans of the Aeon Genesis patch like how some of Tales of Phantasia's fans went livid over how the official translation was compared to the DeJap patch they've been playing for years; Apple wouldn't let the games on the store if almost all of its users could understand it; or just plain ol' :effort:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't imagine If would sell very well. It's one of the worst SMT games (which are already niche enough), has outdated visuals and gameplay, and iOS is probably not the best platform for that stuff here. They only have so many resources, it would be kind of ridiculous for them to localize that.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

No one would buy them.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I like the main-line SMT games because I'm a crotchety old geezer that grew up with Wizardry and Bard's Tale and like those style of dungeon crawler games but they're just not palatable to anyone that doesn't have that kind of nostalgia factor. Strange Journey got a lot of flak for its dungeons, and they're simpler than the earlier installments. (and absolutely kiddy-pool grade compared to the stuff us old farts played in the early-mid 80s) You might as well just light a big pile of money on fire instead, it takes less effort and gets the same results.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Genpei Turtle posted:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I like the main-line SMT games because I'm a crotchety old geezer that grew up with Wizardry and Bard's Tale and like those style of dungeon crawler games but they're just not palatable to anyone that doesn't have that kind of nostalgia factor. Strange Journey got a lot of flak for its dungeons, and they're simpler than the earlier installments. (and absolutely kiddy-pool grade compared to the stuff us old farts played in the early-mid 80s) You might as well just light a big pile of money on fire instead, it takes less effort and gets the same results.

The Strange Journey dungeons are easy? The 80's sounds like a terrifying place.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If you want the ultimate endgame of the SMT series as a whole, go try Wizardry IV. The "hardest" ending even ties into the whole religious symbolism thing too.

By comparison to some of the poo poo older games would pull on you, "teleport mazes and a poison floor" is cake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

The Strange Journey dungeons are honestly fairly simple. The biggest bullshit they have is lovely hidden doors in teleport mazes and it's relatively easy to puzzle them out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Len posted:

Floor 4, Wizardry 4. (Actually the seventh floor you'd see; you start at 10 and go up.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
^^ Don't forget that, if I remember Wizardry right, you had to cast a spell to see where you were/which way you were facing after a spinning floor trap... but once you made that move it would spin you again.

Like, let me tell you a story about growing up with dungeon crawlers. I remember going through one where I was stuck on a floor for days (honest-to-god DAYS) because I wasn't picking up on a single teleport trap. So my maps kept getting wildly out of sync and a single mistake on those that you didn't know where it came from? You're chucking the entire goddamn thing and hoping you find your way back to a landmark or stairs to start again, meanwhile, you might be running out of food in-game or losing hours of progress if you die in the center...

Not even the most horseshit of horseshit dungeon crawlers in this day and age goes to the extremes of those old PC titles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

^^ Don't forget that, if I remember Wizardry right, you had to cast a spell to see where you were/which way you were facing after a spinning floor trap... but once you made that move it would spin you again.

Didn't spells like that (and trap checking ones) have really bad execution percentages, too?

Whoops! Whoops!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Prism posted:

Floor 4, Wizardry 4. (Actually the seventh floor you'd see; you start at 10 and go up.)

What is going on there?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Len posted:

What is going on there?

The brief summary: a mass of false walls and one-way doors, and oh, the floor wraps around, too. Plus, spinning floors. And a few of those areas, as you can see, are solid traps which you have to teleport out of and/or die in.

Wizardry IV is held up as a bastard-hard game for a reason, kids.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Len posted:

What is going on there?

Everything. There are one-way walls (the ones with arrows). Faded wall lines look like walls but are not - you can walk through them. Many of them are also surrounding spinners, so you can't tell how many times you've been spun around. The spinners are the circular symbols with arrows (like at 18,18) and point you a random direction. Keys are necessary items. Pentagrams are healing points (these are the only good things). Speech bubbles are events.

Note that there are several locations (3,15 and 14,2 as single rooms, and 6,10 and 6,11 next to each other) where if you go in, you can't get out. If you didn't get a Get Out Of Jail Free card (yup) from a random encounter, you're stuck. Reload.

Your goal is to get from the downstairs to the upstairs. You need to stop at the key en route. Good luck.

A late addition: There's no internal map. You have to draw it yourself. On paper. You have a spell that tells you at what location and what direction you are facing, but you can't possibly cast it more than nine times without a stop at a pentagram to refill your magic.

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 23, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The first room in that game requires you to have a specific class in your party cast a specific spell during a battle in order to reveal a hidden door that will allow you to get out. I should mention that aside from your main character (a squishy-rear end wizard), all party members are AI-controlled.

That game was bollocks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That's pretty awful. And people say Dark/Demons Souls is bullshit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

Youngsters today don't know how good they have it. :corsair:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Len posted:

DS/DaS is carefully crafted bullshit. Wizardry was basically throwing turds at the wall and making a map out of what stuck.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
To be fair, Wizardry IV was basically the developers giving people who had played the original trilogy, broken it over their knee, and asked for more challenge the only challenge they would ever need again. Various random encounters throughout the game were the endgame parties of people who sent in a character disk to the designers, for instance. Some of it was horseshit, but it was the horseshit that some of us wanted at the time.

I don't think anyone ever asked for similar again afterwards, though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

Those games are built upon the idea that players will learn from their mistakes.

Wizardry IV is just utter loving chaos. A torrential downpour of just straight up spite, forever.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

This is my favorite Bomberman map.

Len posted:

Demon's Souls seems a lot better about introducing you to the concepts, and I'm guessing it actually has a manual. Dark Souls suffered from not having a manual and not telling you anything except the extreme basics. You also have to talk to characters all the time to figure out what you're supposed to be doing, or else you'll just be wandering around and hoping you find all the right bosses. There's only one area of Dark Souls that really has any traps at all, although a few of them will really gently caress you over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

How bad is the random encounter rate in the original SMT games anyways? Like "every 2 steps a fight" kinda thing?