Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

WastedJoker posted:

So, I'm a big fan of cookery shows and I've been watching series 8 of Great British Menu which has a brief related to Comic Relief and adding humour to dishes.

I'd noticed the word "witty" was used an awful lot during each show and, because I have access to various BBC secret squirrel stuff, I pulled up the script for each episode and searched for mentions of the word "witty".

Guess what I found? Every episode of series 8 has EXACTLY 5 mentions of "witty". That's 28 episodes so far with exactly 5 uses of the word "witty".

Bit of a coincidence!

Probably because witty is a good way of saying "here's why this plate of food is actually funny, without immideately appearing to be".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I saw Kevin Eldon do a show at The Stand in Edinburgh during the Fringe and it was genuinely piss funny, but unfortunately it was mostly cobbled together from things he's done on and off for like 20 years. The funniest bit is his poet character, which has some brilliant punning, but he actually started doing that in the mid 90s. I'm not sure you can hold a gun to his head and go BE FUNNY.

It's Kevin was at least strange and bad instead of bland and bad, and if you'd watched Horne & Corden you'd know what I mean.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

I saw his stand up show a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. It's Kevin was pretty disappointing though, It felt like a more family friendly Jaaam. The sandwich bit was great though... "i just throw bread at a pig".

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Actually quite enjoyed It's Kevin. Lots of it didn't really work but the bits that did were enjoyable enough to make it worthwhile for me.

I guess it was only the first one, its worth seeing whether it picks up at all as it goes on. Poor Kevin, he's so good in everything else I really want him to succeed with it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The guy in the preview picture for In The Flesh looks a lot like me, it was freaky when I just loaded up the iPlayer site. I'm not depressed and ill-looking though.

[edit]just GISed him. Also not ginger or that skinny.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

The Heckler posted:

I saw his stand up show a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. It's Kevin was pretty disappointing though, It felt like a more family friendly Jaaam. The sandwich bit was great though... "i just throw bread at a pig".

The sandwich bit just killed me; the rest of it was pretty terrible though. I really wanted to like it :(

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Broadchurch is pretty good so far. Wasn't planning on watching it but ended up seeing the first episode last week, decided to keep watching.

"Get away from me or I'll piss in a cup and throw it at you" is one of the greatest threats I have ever heard. I like that it's not all doom and gloom, there's some really funny bits in there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

In The Flesh is legitimately quite good. I recommend.

Even if that one guy looks a bit too much like RDJ for my liking.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It's Kevin was a disappointment for me too apart from sandwich guy. The constant "no" just slayed me.

Some people are just better at comedy acting.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
David Mitchell's got a new panel show on Channel 4 about " quotes, tweets, literature and TV & film dialogue".

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/03/19/17456/another_panel_show_for_david_mitchell

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

reality_groove posted:

I've been watching it. Really enjoyed the first episode (the Apprentice spoof is spot-on) but was massively disappointed when subsequent eps were the basically the same sketches. Diminshing returns and all that.

That said I think Anna and Katy are talented and could go on to do better things.

My experience differed. I don't know which one is Anna and which one is Katy, but the brunette one had better acting ability, with the blonde one being just painful. A lot of the sketches felt like writers sat around a room saying 'you know what would be funny? A dinner party where a woman tells jokes and people take them as serious comments and she has to explain herself' or 'It's the Apprentice but it's really low level, like a taxi rank' (the Apprentice is low level anyway. They make and sell cupcakes. They buy toasters one at a time). The actual scenes are less funny than the idea behind them. Then you get the threat that there'll be one each of these in every episode in the series.

The 'Congratulation' sketch in which two white Lorraine Kelly types affect Jamaican accents and read letters from the audience (which may or may not be meant to be funny by themselves) in a voice that wavers close to geordie half the time, before saluting the cameras at the end by rolling over and displaying their genitals and arseholes is...questionable. To say the least.

I read an interview with them in which they claim to eliminate any sketches where another actor could play the characters. The characters are so unique and nuanced they have to be played specifically by Anna and Katy! That's some amazing arrogance, especially once you've watched the show.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
It's Kevin reminded me of something from years back - Cool Head. Remember rubber-faced comedian Phil Cool? He was everywhere for a few years in the late 80s, then he got given his own show on ITV, which had a pretentious linking narrative between sketches and somehow even though he was doing basically the same thing he'd been doing all along, it just wasn't funny.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm going to check out Bluestone 42 later and hope it really is a thing of its own and not some version of Gary Tank Commander.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm going to check out Bluestone 42 later and hope it really is a thing of its own and not some version of Gary Tank Commander.

It's...ehhhh. A few good lines, certainly not a comedy classic. The Scottish characters are funny at least.

Better than GTC anyway. Although stubbing my pinky toe is better than GTC.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If it is vaguely funny and kills time it is good enough.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It's Kevin should be on BBC 3.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

onoflalks posted:

David Mitchell's got a new panel show on Channel 4 about " quotes, tweets, literature and TV & film dialogue".

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/03/19/17456/another_panel_show_for_david_mitchell

It's Radio 4's Quote Unquote for millenials and I hope everybody involved chokes on it.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I quite enjoyed it's Kevin. Although I went in with low expectations. There's been much worse wacky disjointed sketch shows.

I think that's where the problem is though. It felt like a wacky disjointed sitcom with a disclaimer, rather than something taking the piss out of the genre itself.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

onoflalks posted:

Someone had left a Sunday Times supplement on my table in a pub a few weeks ago. I had a flick through it. It was a bit like the Guardian's Guide - film reviews, celebrities, culture, that sort of thing, but a bit more out of touch. They interviewed someone over a quarter or half a page. While it didn't mention Twitter, the interview had the tagline 'Answers in 140 characters or less!'. I was just stunned at the stupidity. Twitter is popular because people can give you random amounts of info without having to think they're 'wasting' a blog post. This interview would be better with more characters. All interviews are pared down to the 'good stuff' anyway. These media people just jump on what's popular and hammer it into their own template without knowing why it was popular in the first place. Rude Tube is Youtube for people who can't work a computer. This new show is bringing tweets to people who can't read.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

eating only apples posted:

I have the vividest memory of the two guys in shades at the end of this video. The one on the left said "we don't need no tactics" and the one on the right added "yeah! We don't need no small minty things."

I have no idea why I remember that stupid joke so well :psyduck:

This was a couple of pages back, sorry, but that sounds a lot like Hale and Paces schtick. It's possible you're thinking of them. The one on the left looks a bit like Hale I guess, or Pace. I don't know.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

SeanBeansShako posted:

It falls into that middle ground of not terrible but not something you'd ever sky+, there isn't anything that bad about it, it just seems utterly forgettable.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Leon with a Zero posted:

It falls into that middle ground of not terrible but not something you'd ever sky+, there isn't anything that bad about it, it just seems utterly forgettable.

Yeah, exactly. It's a bit naff, but certainly not a total waste of time.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Padje posted:

This new show is bringing tweets to people who can't read.

Not sure about that. To me, "based on quotes, tweets, literature and TV & film dialogue" sounds like an excuse to get comedians talking about the week's events, much like 8/10 cats. Which, whilst it obviously won't set the world on fire, will probably be worth watching on demand to pass half an hour.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
This can be a huge success if it has David Mitchell reading tweets from the Iron Shiek.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Nobody will ever be as good at reading comments/tweets as Adam Buxton. Brooker and Mitchell can try, but they are pale imitations.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Junkenstein posted:

Not sure about that. To me, "based on quotes, tweets, literature and TV & film dialogue" sounds like an excuse to get comedians talking about the week's events, much like 8/10 cats. Which, whilst it obviously won't set the world on fire, will probably be worth watching on demand to pass half an hour.

Yeah, I enjoy panel shows with David Mitchell because he actually tends to come up with funny points and banter on the fly rather than just redirecting to some bit he's written for a stand-up show that relates to _____. It's too bad he's the host though, because it's usually awkward as hell when he tries to deliver the kind of cheesy prewritten stuff that they make hosts say. Like, on The Unbelievable Truth you can often kind of tell that he isn't really fully committed to some of the jokes he has to deliver.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

To me, "based on quotes, tweets, literature and TV & film dialogue" sounds like an excuse to get comedians talking about the week's events, much like 8/10 cats

"Tonight on Ten O'Clock Live, we're making Tracy Island from yoghurt pots and sticky-back plastic suffering another Jimmy Carr costume sketch. Also, we wrote down David Mitchell Rants for a Minute and underlined it."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

This can be a huge success if it has David Mitchell reading tweets from the Iron Shiek.

Isn't that what John Oliver does on The Bugle anyway?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Padje posted:

Rude Tube is Youtube for people who can't work a computer.

...that airs primarily on a channel targeted towards people who grew up with the bloody things.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

DAVID MITCHELL A PUSSY I BREAK HIS BACK MAKE HIM HUMBLE LIKE OLD COUNTRY

Seriously, Iron Sheik's twitter is the best loving thing on the internet. It's just broken english threats of sodomy against random celebrities.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

VogeGandire posted:

Seriously, Iron Sheik's twitter is the best loving thing on the internet. It's just broken english threats of sodomy against random celebrities.

Having just quickly scrolled through it, it seems he really dislikes The Ultimate Warrior, Lindsay Lohan, and Chris Brown's mother.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

StrawmanUK posted:

3 2 1..ACTIVATE!

Robot Wars was ace, I loved it when the flippers (ie Chaos2) were dominant. Was never a fan of the pincers like Razer. At the time I was always curious as to why the last series or 2 featured really crap robots. Years later I heard that the reason for this was that the top teams withdrew from Robot Wars because the robots were becoming more and more expensive to make and they didn't want them trashed by the house robots (as losing robots tended to be). Not sure how accurate that is though!
My uncle was the team captain for Killertron, and I can confirm that the teams were paid nothing beyond the 500 quid for qualifying in a series. To this day he believes his robot was deliberately taken out by the house robots because he had raised a big stink about the lack of adequate compensation for 'Roboteers'.

Killertron is best remembered for being thrashed by a piece of cheese in series four.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Flatscan posted:

Having just quickly scrolled through it, it seems he really dislikes The Ultimate Warrior, Lindsay Lohan, and Chris Brown's mother.

He's basically taken too many blows to the head and WAY too much coke, and now lives his gimmick. He loving hates Hulk Hogan too.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

He really sums it all up in his description

"Respect the legend I love you otherwise go gently caress yourself #teamsheikie buy my #1 T Shirt http://www.theironsheik.org or go gently caress yourself"

Flatscan posted:

If it's current, he likely hates it. e: also Hulk Hogan

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 19, 2013

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
What is this Bedtime live poo poo?

I assume this is the cheapest way to fill airtime or something.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Leon with a Zero posted:

What is this Bedtime live poo poo?

I assume this is the cheapest way to fill airtime or something.

Jake Humphries left the BBC's F1 coverage for this?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If you have a couple of minute spare, the video below is probably my favourite anecdote about anyone, ever, but its made even funnier by that fact that its about the Iron Shiek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J2-KqnSXso

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bluestone 42 certainly is eh, alright.

Though holy gently caress can it be a rule now that unless it is Rich Fulcher the whole large obnoxiously brash BBC TV American thing be dropped?

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

He's basically taken too many blows to the head and WAY too much coke, and now lives his gimmick. He loving hates Hulk Hogan too.

He doesn't actually write his Twitter. His managers (who he refers to as 'intelligent Jews') update it based on the sort of things that Sheik would say. Having said that, it all sounds exactly like the stuff he says in shoot interviews, so well done to his agents for making it so authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bluestone 42 certainly is eh, alright.

Though holy gently caress can it be a rule now that unless it is Rich Fulcher the whole large obnoxiously brash BBC TV American thing be dropped?

It's not great, it's not even got any army insider jokes.