Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
There's 5 seasons of Mad Men as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Hollis posted:

I'm trying to decide on what to binge on. I watch, Justified, Archer, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones. I think that is it I don't recall anything else right now. I am considering Mad Men ,but how good is it really? I watched the first season and was just Meh. I've seen most Goon liked TV shows Lost , BSG, etc.. I've also heard good things about Homeland but haven't watched it. Oh and I've never actually watched The Wire ,but I also don't want to watch 5 seasons of something.

I watched the first season of Mad Men, plus the start of the second season and couldn't get into it. I've had people tell me that it just wasn't for me, and I assumed they were right.

Season 1 of Homeland is amazing. Season 2 is still very good, but couldn't measure up to the first season.

Also, I don't care whether or not you feel like watching five seasons of anything, go watch the Wire. Actually, watch it twice. It can be a bit hard to follow the first time around, but the second time. Oh boy, the second time.

I'll go ahead and give you a few more recommendations: Nikita (the new one), Supernatural (especially the first five seasons, which have an amazing story arc). Oh, and Spartacus. I can't recommend Spartacus enough. The first few episodes suck balls, but after the 4th or so, it becomes incredible and never stops. And it 'only' has four seasons, including the prequel they did after season 1. The final season is currently airing.

Seriously. Watch Spartacus.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 19, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

richardfun posted:

I watched the first season of Mad Men, plus the start of the second season and couldn't get into it. I've had people tell me that it just wasn't for me, and I assumed they were right.

Season 1 of Homeland is amazing. Season 2 is still very good, but couldn't measure up to the first season.

Also, I don't care whether or not you feel like watching five seasons of anything, go watch the Wire. Actually, watch it twice. It can be a bit hard to follow the first time around, but the second time. Oh boy, the second time.

I'll go ahead and give you a few more recommendations: Nikita (the new one), Supernatural (especially the first five seasons, which have an amazing story arc). Oh, and Spartacus. I can't recommend Spartacus enough. The first few episodes suck balls, but after the 4th or so, it becomes incredible and never stops. And it 'only' has four seasons, including the prequel they did after season 1. The final season is currently airing.

Seriously. Watch Spartacus.

I watched Spartacus while the first guy was still alive. I stopped after they changed actors I didn't like the new one. Homeland looks ot be my choice as it's two seasons. I've got two days off to just veg out and watch a TV series so I decided to choose that.

Are there any other BBC short series like Sherlock I should check out? I have heard good things about Luthor ,but I didn't care for the first couple of episodes.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Finished Buffy last night. Loved it. It really is a classic, though there are a few rough patches in the total course of the series and you really have to be ready to accept some absurd situations and silly plot resolutions, though it's usually done towards the interest of telling a great story which overall the show did a fantastic job of. Kind of reminds me of Doctor Who's formula more than a little, just with a lot more permanence and considerably not-for-children. It's fun to do a post mortem after binging on an old, completed series and then scouring imdb to see what people in the cast went on to do and youtube to see extras, interviews, etc. Though in this case it led to me discovering that the guy who played Spike turned 50 last year :eek:. I'm kind of on a Joss kick now and haven't seen much outside of Firefly & Dr Horrible, though I might skip Angel and go straight to Dollhouse, Angel's character gets a little too moody-broody for me so I wonder if I'd last in a show centered on him.

Hollis posted:

I'm trying to decide on what to binge on. I watch, Justified, Archer, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones. I think that is it I don't recall anything else right now. I am considering Mad Men ,but how good is it really? I watched the first season and was just Meh. I've seen most Goon liked TV shows Lost , BSG, etc.. I've also heard good things about Homeland but haven't watched it. Oh and I've never actually watched The Wire ,but I also don't want to watch 5 seasons of something.
If you didn't like the first season of Mad Men then you may not get into it at all. Things change and it's a dynamic show, blah blah blah, but if you aren't buying what they're selling by the end of S1 then it probably just isn't for you.

As for The Wire, if you aren't looking for an investment right now then I would advise putting it on ice for the time being. It is well worth the investment and when you're aching for a solid, complex and completed show to sink your teeth into then get it out and settle in. I think it's wrong to watch it the first time trying to pay super close attention to all the details. Just let it run and just don't completely ignore it as background noise. You're not going to get every character or scene but just stick along with it and eventually the format will be familiar and the connections between all the different stories will start to stand out and it will start to hook you and by the end you'll naturally be glued to it. It's got a lot of rich stuff in it all the way through but really don't force the detail-oriented viewing until you find yourself wanting it, that's more for the re-watch because you'll be less confused about who is who and will already know about the overall outcomes, so you'll have more capacity to pick up on all the smaller pieces.

It's hard to come up with a comparison of Sherlock. But for british comedy that's kind of dense and fast paced there's The Thick Of It, which is part of a family of others like the movie In The Loop and HBO's Veep. Don't forget House of Cards if you want a drama and have netflix.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Hollis posted:

I watched Spartacus while the first guy was still alive. I stopped after they changed actors I didn't like the new one. Homeland looks ot be my choice as it's two seasons. I've got two days off to just veg out and watch a TV series so I decided to choose that.

Are there any other BBC short series like Sherlock I should check out? I have heard good things about Luthor ,but I didn't care for the first couple of episodes.

I'd urge you to give Spartacus another go. It took me a while to get used to the new guy as well. Have you seen the prequel, Gods of the Arena?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Bhaal posted:

Finished Buffy last night. Loved it. It really is a classic, though there are a few rough patches in the total course of the series and you really have to be ready to accept some absurd situations and silly plot resolutions, though it's usually done towards the interest of telling a great story which overall the show did a fantastic job of. Kind of reminds me of Doctor Who's formula more than a little, just with a lot more permanence and considerably not-for-children. It's fun to do a post mortem after binging on an old, completed series and then scouring imdb to see what people in the cast went on to do and youtube to see extras, interviews, etc. Though in this case it led to me discovering that the guy who played Spike turned 50 last year :eek:. I'm kind of on a Joss kick now and haven't seen much outside of Firefly & Dr Horrible, though I might skip Angel and go straight to Dollhouse, Angel's character gets a little too moody-broody for me so I wonder if I'd last in a show centered on him.

Quick word of advice: don't.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Hollis posted:

Did you see utopia? It's not BBC, but channel 4. But I really like it.
It's very dark. Black mirror dark almost.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

mrfart posted:

Did you see utopia? It's not BBC, but channel 4. But I really like it.
It's very dark. Black mirror dark almost.

Last week, while in bed because of a herniated disc, I binged through Utopia, Dark Mirror and Sherlock and absolutely loved every second of it. Any other recommendations? I tried Dr. Who but I wasn't feeling it.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Bhaal posted:

Ok, I was gonna say that if you loved Buffy, you MUST go and give Veronica Mars a shot, there are a lot of similarities in terms of dynamics and dialogue (although Veronica Mars is the superior show) but seriously:

Do not skip Angel. Do not, in any circumstances, skip Angel.

The beginning of the season might feel a bit samey, but it's a show that's actually better than Buffy, and even funnier. The whole brooding thing goes away fairly quickly too.

Seriously watch Angel and then Veronica Mars

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Boosh! posted:

Last week, while in bed because of a herniated disc, I binged through Utopia, Dark Mirror and Sherlock and absolutely loved every second of it. Any other recommendations? I tried Dr. Who but I wasn't feeling it.
Misfits is essential.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Joramun posted:

Misfits is essential.

That looks great; it even has one of the guys from Utopia. Thanks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Twee as gently caress posted:

Ok, I was gonna say that if you loved Buffy, you MUST go and give Veronica Mars a shot, there are a lot of similarities in terms of dynamics and dialogue (although Veronica Mars is the superior show) but seriously:

The beginning of the season might feel a bit samey, but it's a show that's actually better than Buffy, and even funnier. The whole brooding thing goes away fairly quickly too.

Seriously watch Angel and then Veronica Mars

Angel gets Ben Edlund to write episodes and if you know anything about him (SPOOONNN) then you know what you are in for. Also if you like Buffy, give Supernatural a chance.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Going to emphasize this very emphatically. Very very emphatically. And Misfits is awesome, too.

I am flitting about series binges at the moment. I'll watch four or five episodes of Parks and Rec followed by a few of Louie or Wilfred but nothing is really capturing my attention long enough to hold it for longer than a few episodes. I gave Lost Girl a season and it didn't really hold my attention either.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that I'm not a very sitcomy person, but I'm struggling with keeping interest in anything currently drama-y on air. Even stuff I usually can't miss I'm just kinda meh on. Anyone have any suggestions for shows that don't take themselves too seriously, but are still quality? Some of my favorites include Whedon shows, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, Misfits, Doctor Who, Sherlock, and the first season of Once Upon a Time. I've been considering an X-Files rewatch since I haven't seen it since it originally aired and I was very young for a lot of it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Black Mirror is really worth watching, it's only 6 episodes, and each one is a separate Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/Tales of the Unexpected style story. I had to binge through the second series as I was away, and, as has already been said, the second episode will probably require you to have a little quiet time afterwards.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
Have you tried Nikita? I'm watching the first season right now, and it's very entertaining super agent fun. It has a similar vibe to Vampire Diaries in that it feels like they are willing to do anything. If you want something that's funny but not a sitcom, try Psych. Great chemistry between the main cast.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

cool kids inc. posted:

I think part of it has to do with the fact that I'm not a very sitcomy person, but I'm struggling with keeping interest in anything currently drama-y on air. Even stuff I usually can't miss I'm just kinda meh on. Anyone have any suggestions for shows that don't take themselves too seriously, but are still quality? Some of my favorites include Whedon shows, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, Misfits, Doctor Who, Sherlock, and the first season of Once Upon a Time. I've been considering an X-Files rewatch since I haven't seen it since it originally aired and I was very young for a lot of it.
You might enjoy American Horror Story. The first season kind of silly (in a good way) and more of a guilty pleasure, while the second season is unapologetically good and occasionally even brilliant. Both seasons are standalone and have no connection to each other beyond sharing some of the same actors and production/writing staff, so you could even start with the second season and then go back to the first if you like it enough.

Also check out Teen Wolf, it is a cross between Buffy and The Vampire Diaries and almost just as good as either of those shows.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

cool kids inc. posted:

My wife recently tried to re-watch X-files for those same reasons and found it didn't seem to age very well (though granted she didn't get terribly far into it, and as i recall the show really picked up steam mostly in some of the middle seasons). Castle is non-serious, maybe a 60-40 split of comedy over drama. It can be a little tiring for me but still, it's fun. I'm sure you've come across it already but if not then it might fill that gap.

Way ahead of you on VM, that was a great show, but I'll take the advice from here and queue up Angel next.

Only watched S1 of Misfits. It's good, but we only had that season and just sort of left it and never went back. I suppose I should circle 'back round to that one as well.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 19, 2013

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

cool kids inc. posted:

Going to emphasize this very emphatically. Very very emphatically. And Misfits is awesome, too.

I am flitting about series binges at the moment. I'll watch four or five episodes of Parks and Rec followed by a few of Louie or Wilfred but nothing is really capturing my attention long enough to hold it for longer than a few episodes. I gave Lost Girl a season and it didn't really hold my attention either.

Have you seen Nikita? What about Spartacus?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So the British shows I should watch are Black Mirror, Misfits, anything else ? I've watched Sherlock. Currently binging Homeland really digging the hell out of it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Hollis posted:

So the British shows I should watch are Black Mirror, Misfits, anything else ? I've watched Sherlock.

Utopia is pretty mindblowing.

Also The Thick Of It if you like comedies.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Bhaal posted:

Way ahead of you on VM, that was a great show, but I'll take the advice from here and queue up Angel next.

You won't regret it. It's an ever better and funnier show than Buffy, and the characters go through real growth as well. You won't believe how some of them, who used to be slightly annoying and lame, start to kick all kinds of asses. Won't spoil you who though, you'll make the two great discoveries yourself

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Zedd posted:

I have a 50 minute bus commute both ways nowadays so I have been binging shows hard.

I watched all of Parks & Recreation and I don't get why I ignored this show for so long, I thought it would be "the office" in a government setting but this show is just pure happiness and glee. :allears:

Because I finished catching up to that show I watched both seasons of Party Down over the last week and this is a great little show that got canceled way before it's time.
We did get Ben Wyat out of this though. :dance:

The first season was of Parks was definitely a case of the show "not knowing what to do with it's characters." Much like the first season of The Office (same creator), I think the people behind it viewed the first season, then tried to match the actors to their strengths and worried less about how the characters were written originally as. It's the happiest show on television and I love it. It's like if everyone at the Office loved their job.

And while Party Down did get cancelled before it's time, it did have a satisfying conclusion. And who knows, we could still get that movie.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Parks and Recreation is one of the like, three shows where I just say to people "Skip the first season and just start from two."

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

DarkCrawler posted:

Parks and Recreation is one of the like, three shows where I just say to people "Skip the first season and just start from two."

Eh, episodes 5-6 are pretty solid

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I just watched the first episode of "Over There" as im on a mini-series (or cancelled after one series) binge.
Is the whole thing this bad, or is it just pilot mistakes.

everyone is a cliche and also an idiot.
I would have to be in the Army and watch this, because as a Civ I can see them doing so many things wrong just from TV and Books.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I tried to watch The Sopranos a year or so back but sort of gave up around the end of the first season, because certain things in the plot felt to me like they were starting to turn it into some kind of Monster Of The Week show (the soccer coach plotline). The other thing was that the whole late 1990s pre-9/11, pre-financial crisis aesthetic just felt so utterly dated. I'm starting it up again now and have just made it to the middle of S2, and it's really starting to click for me this time around.

Prior to this I had just gone throughDeadwood under similar circumstances and am kind of mixed about it. On the one had, everything they say in the Deadwood thread is true and it's a beautiful show with great, gripping moments, but certain aspects of it were just too dense and the dynamics of the various relationships were just never clear to me. I never did quite understand why any of the characters did what they did and I can kind of see that this would have been a hard show for the average person to get into.

The problem I have now is that I'm starting to turn into a :emo: because all these shows are so god drat bleak. Parks and Rec alone might not be enough to keep me from hanging myself.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

The problem I have now is that I'm starting to turn into a :emo: because all these shows are so god drat bleak. Parks and Rec alone might not be enough to keep me from hanging myself.
Try Raising Hope and Psych. They've got a good-natured tone that's similar to Parks and Rec.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
I watched an episode of Borgia last night. I'm on a vacation day today...think I might watch at least 10 more. What a fantastic looking show! Love period dramas, don't know how this flew under my radar so long.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Brown Moses posted:

Black Mirror is really worth watching, it's only 6 episodes, and each one is a separate Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/Tales of the Unexpected style story. I had to binge through the second series as I was away, and, as has already been said, the second episode will probably require you to have a little quiet time afterwards.

I'm gonna jump all over this poo poo. I loooooooove Utopia, Misfits, Luther, and pretty much most BBC dramas and sci-fi that I've tried.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

letgomyAgo posted:

I watched an episode of Borgia last night. I'm on a vacation day today...think I might watch at least 10 more. What a fantastic looking show! Love period dramas, don't know how this flew under my radar so long.

Are you watching Borgia or The Borgias?

I'm trying to imagine Borgia being good

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

This guy looks like a villain from Fullmetal Alchemist, which I am currently binging through for my second time. Never really gave Anime a fair chance. Are there any other shows/movies worth checking out?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

:monocle: I seriously did not recognize him!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just started watching Justified a few days ago (thank you, my wife's Amazon Prime!), and it is AWESOME. I only have a few more episodes to go in Season 1. Normally I hate case/problem/guest star-of-the-week shows, but I like the overarching storylines tying everything together, and hopefully the later seasons become more serialized. It helps that I have a lot of goodwill for Timothy Olyphant from Deadwood and the outstanding Walton Goggins from The Shield (who is KILLING IT as Boyd Crowder), and I've always been a bit of an Elmore Leonard fan as well. The amount of humor is always a pleasant surprise -- the show could easily come across like a crappy Walker: Texas Ranger knockoff without the clever dialogue and comic relief moments.

So far, Justified reminds me a bit of Dexter only because the lead character is great and the bad guys are good, but the lead character's colleagues are pretty boring. At least Justified hasn't yet made the mistake of focusing too much on Raylan's relatively generic co-workers. I only made it through the first two seasons of Dexter, but I'm already committed enough to the world of Raylan Givens and Boyd Crowder that I'll keep tearing through the show until I catch up.

EDIT: Loving the theme song as well. Gangstagrass!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 21, 2013

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

harlequin baby posted:

This guy looks like a villain from Fullmetal Alchemist, which I am currently binging through for my second time. Never really gave Anime a fair chance. Are there any other shows/movies worth checking out?

I'm not a huge anime guy, but Cowboy Bebop is generally well regarded, and is one of the few series where hardcore anime fans prefer the dub VAs over the original VAs with subtitles. As far as anime movies go, you really can't go wrong with Studio Ghibli's films. A lot of people working in American animation studios claim Miyazaki as an influence on their work. And both South Park and Bob's Burgers have done My Neighbor Totoro parodies. Fair warning, Grave of the Fireflies makes Old Yeller look like a slapstick farce.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

I prefer Borgia over the Borgias. While I find the Borgias to be a more fun watch in that trashier, soap opera way, Borgia feels more internally consistent with its characters, not to mention it's more accurate historically than the Borgias but does take some liberties. It took a while for Doman to click as Rodrigo Borgia for me but he delivers a great performance, as does the guy playing della Rovere. The Borgias plays it fast and loose with the characterizations which is probably my biggest issue with the show.

In Borgia, Cesare is a man conflicted with his desire and lust for power. He feels like a caged animal and tries his best to repent for his abhorrent behavior. He shows kindness to people outside of his family and seems to care for his friends. In the Borgias, Cesare is down to murder any motherfucker that looks at him wrong and goes on personal vendetta kills. The only love he seems to have is for Lucrezia and his family; everything else is superfluous. It's things like that that makes Borgia a better show to watch, in my opinion. The characters feel like human beings unlike in the Borgias where everything is dialed up to 11 to make for compelling television. I won't deny that the Borgias is great, trashy TV like the Tudors though.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 21, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

harlequin baby posted:

You mean anime? FMA is just about the best there is of that particular genre of anime (traditional shonen). I can think of a couple manga I would say are better (Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer, One Piece), but I dunno about anime. You'd probably like Cowboy Bebop, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is never a bad recommendation.

Also, I assume you're watching Brotherhood. If you're watching the original series, immediately stop and watch Brotherhood instead. It's so much better.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Conduit for Sale! posted:

You mean anime? FMA is just about the best there is of that particular genre of anime (traditional shonen). I can think of a couple manga I would say are better (Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer, One Piece), but I dunno about anime. You'd probably like Cowboy Bebop, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is never a bad recommendation.

Also, I assume you're watching Brotherhood. If you're watching the original series, immediately stop and watch Brotherhood instead. It's so much better.

I'm starting up with anime again after probably decades, so I don't know any of the new poo poo, but I always thought the First Rurouni Kenshin OVA was a pretty decent showcase of that particular style of story telling, and it's only 4 episodes so you can get through it pretty quickly. Note that I have never seen nor do I have much interest in the actual Kenshin TV series or anything else in the franchise.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 21, 2013

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm starting up with anime again after probably decades, so I don't know any of the new poo poo, but I always thought the First Rurouni Kenshin OVA was a pretty decent showcase of that particular style of story telling, and it's only 4 episodes so you can get through it pretty quickly. Note that I have never seen nor do I have much interest in the actual Kenshin TV series or anything else in the franchise.

The Rouroni Kenshin series starts off with the worst excesses of anime, where the characters have to face off to in order to judge their respective power levels, then it settles into a decent MotW vibe. Although I'll admit my views might be a bit clouded since it's been about 15 years since I watched that show, and I have fond memories of hanging out with my college girlfriend and watching the first season of Buffy, then hooking up my computer in order to watch fan subs of Rourouni Kenshin.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual
I know it's not original, or even a little uncommon, but I finally decided to finish Twin Peaks. I'd only ever worked through the first story arc the first investigation and finally sort of thwarting BOB So recently I sat down and finished out season 2. I can't say I loved everything about it but I did love a lot of it. I can only imagine seeing the ending when it aired and how it must have gone over with the die-hard fans It was a fantastic break from my usual habit of watching sitcoms, but I feel empty inside now. I almost wish I'd never gone back to watch the second arc.