Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Firefox 20.0 beta locks up all he time on my Android tablet. I just keep killing it and reporting it.

Resource usage seems to jump through the roof when it hangs.

Is anyone else having this sort of problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try Aurora, though I was having no issue with Beta 20 on my Android phone. How much RAM do you have?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Based on adding up in use / available, I have 718 MB of RAM total.

Edit I think resource usage goes up during the hang because background processes are stopped automatically and start themselves back up when I kill Firefox.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 5, 2013

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Elphiem posted:

Need Help.

Whenever I do the first download in a new Firefox session it will freeze up/hang before it downloads. All downloads after that are fine.

Have you tried clearing your download list?

Tapeta
Aug 31, 2004
Ekaru Hoppa Do Pe Tapeta
Is there a good replacement for QuickDrag that isn't DragIt? Ever since I hit FF19 it just refuses to work and I use it so much to go back to right-click/save as for images.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Alereon posted:

Try Aurora, though I was having no issue with Beta 20 on my Android phone. How much RAM do you have?

How do I get that version for my tablet?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Go to the Firefox Aurora website and click the "for Android" download button. It will use the appropriate UI for your device. I have 384MB of RAM on my phone and it is hard to keep more than 2-3 tabs in memory (so they have to redownload and render when I tab back), but it does far better than the stock browser. If you have more RAM I think you'd have a much better experience.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Alereon posted:

Go to the Firefox Aurora website and click the "for Android" download button. It will use the appropriate UI for your device. I have 384MB of RAM on my phone and it is hard to keep more than 2-3 tabs in memory (so they have to redownload and render when I tab back), but it does far better than the stock browser. If you have more RAM I think you'd have a much better experience.

Thanks. I've installed it. I'll see how it goes.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just switched over to Aurora from using Chrome (haven't used Firefox since right before they changed their tab bar to look like Chrome's), and I have a couple questions. I have ABP installed, but how do I get it to block the empty space where ads were? Specifically I have the cat pictures here on SA, whereas Chrome's adblock removed that too. Second, the omnibar used to do an auto "I Feel Lucky" thing, where if you typed "google video", it would take you straight to google.com/video instead of the search results page. I missed that feature when I went to Chrome.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Can I disable the compatibility check after an update? It never finds anything anyway and is really annoying on Beta and Aurora versions.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just switched over to Aurora from using Chrome (haven't used Firefox since right before they changed their tab bar to look like Chrome's), and I have a couple questions. I have ABP installed, but how do I get it to block the empty space where ads were? Specifically I have the cat pictures here on SA, whereas Chrome's adblock removed that too. Second, the omnibar used to do an auto "I Feel Lucky" thing, where if you typed "google video", it would take you straight to google.com/video instead of the search results page. I missed that feature when I went to Chrome.
ABP, Options, Hide placeholders of blocked elements. As for the search issue, manage search engines, click on Google, Edit Keywords.

Sereri posted:

Can I disable the compatibility check after an update? It never finds anything anyway and is really annoying on Beta and Aurora versions.
That should only happen every six weeks, after a major version upgrade. If you're seeing it more often, use Reset Firefox from about :support, and/or make a new profile.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 8, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is it possible to select the number of pages/bookmarks speed-dial displays? Like 3 instead of 9? (Not talking about the extension, but about the built-in one)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

midnightclimax posted:

Is it possible to select the number of pages/bookmarks speed-dial displays? Like 3 instead of 9? (Not talking about the extension, but about the built-in one)

browser.newtabpage.columns and browser.newtabpage.rows, presumably.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Avenging Dentist posted:

browser.newtabpage.columns and browser.newtabpage.rows, presumably.

That's it, thanks. Thumbnail looks stretched though, looks a bit off.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

I just switched back to Firefox from Chrome and there's always a lag when I click a link anywhere. I see the "Connecting..." for a good little while before the page loads. In Chrome it feels like there's no lag at all. Is this a setting I need to change?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

cremnob posted:

I just switched back to Firefox from Chrome and there's always a lag when I click a link anywhere. I see the "Connecting..." for a good little while before the page loads. In Chrome it feels like there's no lag at all. Is this a setting I need to change?
Try Firefox Reset from the OP, and make sure you don't have a proxy set. Other than that it could be AV/firewall/security software, if you're using something non-Microsoft.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Alereon posted:

Try Firefox Reset from the OP, and make sure you don't have a proxy set. Other than that it could be AV/firewall/security software, if you're using something non-Microsoft.

I'm on a new profile but it's still like this. I should add that the lag is about a second or under, it's just almost instant in Chrome. I only have MSE running and no proxy.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

midnightclimax posted:

Is it possible to turn that page off completely. When I open a new tab it's so that I can middle-click paste a URL from IE, and now I have to be super careful to only middle click in empty space.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Lum posted:

Is it possible to turn that page off completely. When I open a new tab it's so that I can middle-click paste a URL from IE, and now I have to be super careful to only middle click in empty space.

I think browser.newtab.url? (Change about :newtab to about :blank)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lum posted:

There's a small icon on the top right of the new tab page, 3x3 rows of little squares - clicking it turns off the thumbnails.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've been considering going back to Firefox, mostly because the tablet interface is so much nicer than Chrome's. I was wondering, has anybody made the switch recently and found anything to gripe about? How robust is Firefox's sync comparatively speaking?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Meldonox posted:

I've been considering going back to Firefox, mostly because the tablet interface is so much nicer than Chrome's. I was wondering, has anybody made the switch recently and found anything to gripe about? How robust is Firefox's sync comparatively speaking?

Just the lag issue when opening a link anywhere. It's noticeable in Firefox but not as much in Chrome.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is there a way to disable Firefox's disabling of addons? It keeps blocking Java and Flash because they're vulnerable, and yeah sure, they are, but I've kinda cared enough about that and just want things to work properly.

Bushwack
Aug 29, 2000

cremnob posted:

Just the lag issue when opening a link anywhere. It's noticeable in Firefox but not as much in Chrome.

You probably want to play around with your nglayout.initialpaint.delay setting. This is likely the 'lag' you experience, note that reducing it may actually increase the total rendering times.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there a way to disable Firefox's disabling of addons? It keeps blocking Java and Flash because they're vulnerable, and yeah sure, they are, but I've kinda cared enough about that and just want things to work properly.

extensions.blocklist.enabled looks promising in about :config

[edit]
yup! - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.blocklist.enabled

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Bushwack posted:

You probably want to play around with your nglayout.initialpaint.delay setting. This is likely the 'lag' you experience, note that reducing it may actually increase the total rendering times.

I'll make sure to do that. Is it supposed to be set as an integer? And should I enable pipelining or does that just hurt?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

So update them, then?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Just update them dude. God drat. Don't be that guy that knows just enough about computers to get himself into trouble because he thinks he knows better.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Fangs404 posted:

extensions.blocklist.enabled looks promising in about :config

[edit]
yup! - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.blocklist.enabled
That's the one! Thanks very much!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Meldonox posted:

Sync works great for me, though there have been some server side problems in the last month that have meant things don't work for a day or two.

Other than that it's flawless. Also, the android app lets you share links (from any app) to open on any of your synced PCs.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Beta still locks up on my Android tablet but Aurora has been working fine for the last week.

I have this happen most often when I am trying to scroll down through Facebook. I do not use Facebook's mobile app or mobile version of the site.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I don't know if this is a Firefox issue or a forums issue, but I'm getting this issue with click-to-play Flash elements embedded with the [video] tag. It doesn't happen every time, and I can refresh the frame until Firefox notices things properly, but it's still annoying.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Dark One posted:

I don't know if this is a Firefox issue or a forums issue, but I'm getting this issue with click-to-play Flash elements embedded with the [video] tag. It doesn't happen every time, and I can refresh the frame until Firefox notices things properly, but it's still annoying.

I see you're using SALR, so as a workaround you might try disabling the forum-based video embeds and enabling SALR's video embedder.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Speaking of Sync. I don't suppose there's an RSS reader extension that also works on mobile and Syncs settings/read items? I should probably just switch to feedly.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I just switched to feedly (because Google Reader is dying in July) and it's quite good, but it definitely takes some fiddling with the settings to get things comfortable.

Edit: Also it doesn't like to subscribe properly from the Firefox RSS preview page; the passed URL gets malformed somewhere. It can be fixed manually, but it's annoying.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
I really wish Firefox would let me see my add-ons. Tried everything with no luck.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Did you try about:addons?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

cycowolf posted:

I really wish Firefox would let me see my add-ons. Tried everything with no luck.

If this is that very old bug that I think it is where going Tools > Add-Ons doesn't work, the root cause is from another Add-On Tab-Mix Plus, go to there forums and update to the latest dev build and the issue will be fixed, about :addons hsould work as well.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So today I started Firefox uploading a 300MB file to a cloud storage site (d-h.st if it makes a difference) and then went out for lunch.

When I got back, Windows 8 had helpfully hibernated my PC and stopped the upload from happening.

Initially I was all "loving windows 8" but then I remembered that it has a mechanism where software can tell it "hey, I'm doing poo poo here, don't you dare go to sleep on me", so now I'm blaming Firefox for not doing this.

How can I make Firefox do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

So today I started Firefox uploading a 300MB file to a cloud storage site (d-h.st if it makes a difference) and then went out for lunch.

When I got back, Windows 8 had helpfully hibernated my PC and stopped the upload from happening.

Initially I was all "loving windows 8" but then I remembered that it has a mechanism where software can tell it "hey, I'm doing poo poo here, don't you dare go to sleep on me", so now I'm blaming Firefox for not doing this.

How can I make Firefox do this?

You're probably better off disabling hibernation completely, unless you really have a need for it. Plus it'll free up a few gigs of disk space. Open a command prompt as administrator and run: powercfg -h off

As for how to tell Firefox to tell the OS that it should temporarily disable sleep actions... I doubt there's an about :config option for that.