Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Wow, there's a new Shield thread, awesome! I feel genuine jealosy for those of you watching for the first time, as far as I'm concerned The Shield kicked off the whole "cable dramas are awesome and there's no looking back" trend that started in the early 2000's, so congratulations!

The series finale is one of the best ever, I mean ever, if you don't shed many tears you have no soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Sock The Great posted:

Wow, there's a new Shield thread, awesome! I feel genuine jealosy for those of you watching for the first time, as far as I'm concerned The Shield kicked off the whole "cable dramas are awesome and there's no looking back" trend that started in the early 2000's, so congratulations!

The series finale is one of the best ever, I mean ever, if you don't shed many tears you have no soul.

The way Sopranos paved the way for The Wire, Deadwood, and all of the premium channel's amazing serialized dramas; I feel The Shield is analogous for doing this on cable. Justified, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy... surely I'm forgetting so many, but you get the point.

As an aside, I bet FX will never forgive themselves for passing on Breaking Bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I thought Oz started it all?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought Oz started it all?

That's a debate we've had in the Sopranos thread. Oz was not a household name though. It didn't blow HBO up like The Sopranos did. It did, however, introduce the "any character can be killed off at any time, regardless of how important they are" trend, for sure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah, ok. I remember HBO touting it as their first hour-long serial drama, but I definitely agree that the Sopranos was the first 'big' show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

escape artist posted:

That's a debate we've had in the Sopranos thread. Oz was not a household name though. It didn't blow HBO up like The Sopranos did. It did, however, introduce the "any character can be killed off at any time, regardless of how important they are" trend, for sure.

Good thing too since the actor that was the focus of the first episode is fucken horrible. Jon Seda is such a bad bad actor. Then the other major character killed was amazing and one of the better death penalty storylines.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just had my first "HOLY poo poo" moment- Season 3, Episode 5 "Mum" wherein Aceveda is forced to suck a dick at gunpoint. Wow.

Am I alone in finding the Julian storyline boring? I like the character but a lot of his arc feels tacked on to me, unless later on down the road his struggle with his gay identity and his conflicts at work cause him to go completely off the deep end or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

Just had my first "HOLY poo poo" moment- Season 3, Episode 5 "Mum" wherein Aceveda is forced to suck a dick at gunpoint. Wow.

Am I alone in finding the Julian storyline boring? I like the character but a lot of his arc feels tacked on to me, unless later on down the road his struggle with his gay identity and his conflicts at work cause him to go completely off the deep end or something.

Na After he gets blackmailed it is really not important. There are little things that show that yes he is still gay and the anti gay poo poo is worthless, but it has no more impact on the plot

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I started my rewatch and I was thinking about it and I think they should have held off on revealing Armidilo so fast. Even just an episode or 2. Maybe could have hung the mystery of the tatooed dove or something. It just seems there's a huge gap between Armidilo getting stabbed and the Money Train. Speaking of that gap, I think a pissed off Gilroy could have been milked for a bigger storyline as well. It doesn't matter in the end, I still love the 2nd season.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

TUS posted:

I started my rewatch and I was thinking about it and I think they should have held off on revealing Armidilo so fast. Even just an episode or 2. Maybe could have hung the mystery of the tatooed dove or something. It just seems there's a huge gap between Armidilo getting stabbed and the Money Train. Speaking of that gap, I think a pissed off Gilroy could have been milked for a bigger storyline as well. It doesn't matter in the end, I still love the 2nd season.

I agree somewhat, but remember, they probably needed a good storyline early in the season to increase the chances of getting a third season. Besides, I find all seasons before Season 4 flawed, and Season 6 flawed too, but necessary... Did we really need 15 episodes in Season 3???

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

escape artist posted:

I agree somewhat, but remember, they probably needed a good storyline early in the season to increase the chances of getting a third season. Besides, I find all seasons before Season 4 flawed, and Season 6 flawed too, but necessary... Did we really need 15 episodes in Season 3???

Season 3 is weirdly put together. It seemed like it was to spotlight Dutch and Claudette more, especially with the Cuddler Rapist plotline. As well as Acceveda and the sexual assault on him and the Armenian/Money Train plotline book-ending the season. But the season finale of S3 is one of my favorites. No real cliffhanger, no action segment, just awesome dialogue and amazing acting. Now Im on season 4 and I think this is the first time I've heard a live version of a song as part of an episode's soundtrack, when they play a live version of the Dropkick Murphy's cover of Amazing Grace.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm trying to figure out, during my rewatch, which season is more intense, 5 or 7?

What sucks is that I'm watching it with my fiancee. and she already knows about Lem. However, she has no idea how S7's going to go down. :toot:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I always enjoy showing The Shield to people after they watch the Avengers movies and they figure out who the cuddler rapist is.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm trying to figure out, during my rewatch, which season is more intense, 5 or 7?

What sucks is that I'm watching it with my fiancee. and she already knows about Lem. However, she has no idea how S7's going to go down. :toot:

I'd say five because Kavanaugh vs Strike Team was done really well over the entire season and there's nothing more heartbreaking then S5's end.

bobkatt013 posted:

I always enjoy showing The Shield to people after they watch the Avengers movies and they figure out who the cuddler rapist is.

Hahah holy poo poo I didn't even recognize him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

AHHH!

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I'd seen Iron Man before my first time watching this show, and I thought it was weird.... 'wait, he represented S.H.I.E.L.D... and he's IN The Shield? WEIRD!'

Also, the woman who plays his wife, is she british? Her accent was off.

EDIT: Guess not. Direct from U.S.A.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0682071

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just finished my rewatch of the show.

Goddamn, still love it just as much as the first time. One weird thing is that I totally screwed up my timeline for when stuff happens. I thought that the (season 6-7 spoilers) Pasuela poo poo finished up at the end of S6, and that it didn't spill all the way over season 7. I mean, watching it again, I can clearly see how it had to, though.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
So hey, The Shield is on Amazon Streaming, and it's free to Prime members.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I just started watching after seeing recommendations in the SONS and The Wire threads. I'm 6 episodes in and really enjoying it. I can see where Sutter's fetishes were portrayed early on in his screenwriting career.

isk posted:

So hey, The Shield is on Amazon Streaming, and it's free to Prime members.

Is it? I just logged into Prime on my TV and it was $1.99/ episode

Edit: n/m found the option doesn't charge me.

geeves fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 5, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

geeves posted:

I just started watching after seeing recommendations in the SONS and The Wire threads. I'm 6 episodes in and really enjoying it. I can see where Sutter's fetishes were portrayed early on in his screenwriting career.

Is it? I just logged into Prime on my TV and it was $1.99/ episode

Edit: n/m found the option doesn't charge me.

Please post your opinions as you move through the seasons, so those of us can vicariously live it again.

Also, avoid spoilers like the plague.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

AV Club has started a weekly Shield recap.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/pilot,93237/

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

escape artist posted:

Please post your opinions as you move through the seasons, so those of us can vicariously live it again.

Also, avoid spoilers like the plague.

I've been on a marathon watch this weekend and I'm currently well in to season 3. Which probably doesn't lend itself well to analysis. I remember watching an episode or two at some point when it first aired (season 2 ep 11: Jacob Hale may / may not have forcibly raped - yes it's still statutory regardless - an underage employee) and basically thinking it was Law and Order on steroids without the lawyers. It's perhaps expected and difficult not to compare the show to its contemporary, The Wire, and its successor (at least by way of Writer and some actors) Sons of Anarchy.

Dutch and Claudette are probably my favorite characters at the moment, especially their chemistry in the interrogation / interview rooms. Dutch's fascination and instant jump to psychosexual psychological profiles is hilarious and a nice consistent character moment, he reminds me a bit of "Spooky" Mulder from The X-Files. Dutch, Claudette, Aceveda, Gillroy and Vic also seem to be a weird amalgamation of Ed Exley, Bud White, Dudley Smith and Jack Vincennes from L.A. Confidential. It's not a 1:1 comparison by any means, but primarily shows in the way they all reluctantly work together (or against each other) to get the job done (or get ahead) through the means they know best, especially in the way the show is set up in its hyper-realistic world.

As for the comparison with The Wire (character spoilers for both shows), Vic and Corrine are an interesting prologue (that we never got to see, but we can largely put the pieces together) to McNulty and Elena's estrangement ultimately divorce. For Sons of Anarchy, it's more of the storytelling style. It's very loose with chronology / timeframe in which the story takes place. It is one of more convenience and plot necessity. It also plays this fast and loose style of continual backstabbing / side switching that causes the view to be more lost in the story (especially the Strike Team's) so that teh viewer is surprised at the end of the episode or season, instead of having a really well thought out plot and pace that, while is easy to miss on the first view, makes more sense in the long term stability of those plot points.

geeves fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 11, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the idea of Vic as Dudley Smith. I imagine that had he been around in the 50s he would have been able to run things his way for a looooong time.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Mexcillent posted:

If you're Latino/Mexican the show is hilarious because no one in the writer's room cared about correct Spanish, correct Spanish names, or anything plausible dealing with Latinos other than Aceveda. You have a guy's name change from Diego to Dieger because Chiklis can't pronounce Spanish, the Armadillo poo poo, etc.

There's one point in season 3 where a bunch of byz lats are calling men putas which I watched c. 2009 and it has in me in stiches to this day. Plus the last season Aceveda arc with an evil narcotraficante developer opening Plaza Mexico is pretty funny too.

And all the Sutter. All. The. Sutter.

When i rewatch the shield sometimes I laugh at the dialogue they give to everyone. Obviously the show is about moving along and giving you good and generally witty one liners, but some of the gang slang and random crap any gang members spout is not particularly good. It's like what a guy who has no exposure to people like that would think they may talk about.

One of my favorite character moments in the entire series was in season 7 when they set up Shane to get murdered at the junkyard but then Vic has one of those bullshit moments where he doesn't want Shane to die for some reason and tries to call him all the while Julian is in the car so Vic and Ronnie have to talk in coded language and Ronnie is full on board with Shane getting iced right then and there. Just a great moment showing how hypocritical Vic is at times and full of self righteousness.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Great thread idea! I absolutely love that there's a push like this to get new people to experience this, one of the best shows in TV history, and one of my faves. I end up doing a full re-watch at least twice a year because of just how good every aspect is. The only part of the show I hate is the early two seasons of Julien's storyline. What's spoiled is relating to that. There's nothing more despicable than how he thinks of homosexuality and himself. It's actually infuriating to me, because I know just how much of that crap exists in real life, and Julien is otherwise an actually decent person. Ugh.

By the way, anyone who hasn't checked out Justified, I cannot recommend doing so strongly enough. EASILY the best TV series since The Shield, in my mind.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 20, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Great thread idea! I absolutely love that there's a push like this to get new people to experience this, one of the best shows in TV history, and one of my faves. I end up doing a full re-watch at least twice a year because of just how good every aspect is. The only part of the show I hate is the early two seasons of Julien's storyline. There's nothing more despicable than how he thinks of homosexuality and himself. It's actually infuriating to me, because I know just how much of that crap exists in real life, and Julien is otherwise an actually decent person. Ugh.

It shows how religon can destroy someones happiness. I also like the fact that they show how full of poo poo the pray the gay movement is. There is the moment when he is at the sperm bank and then in the last episode in which he looks at the gay couple.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

bobkatt013 posted:

It shows how religon can destroy someones happiness. I also like the fact that they show how full of poo poo the pray the gay movement is. There is the moment when he is at the sperm bank and then in the last episode in which he looks at the gay couple.

Definitely. It's such a good exploration of that aspect of our culture that never gets touched upon, though-- the inner turmoil of someone who's been so indoctrinated into the garbage that is anti-gay religious intolerance that he even attempts to get the one suspect, at one point in S1, to kill him. That and how his wife initially responded to the revelation, with a 'but my boy looks up to you!' as if he's now an awful role model and parental figure. It's just so disgusting, but it's such a realistic depiction. This show was so damned great.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The worst thing about it was I seem to remember the actor saying in an interview that Julian was 'cured'.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

The worst thing about it was I seem to remember the actor saying in an interview that Julian was 'cured'.

When was this in the shows run? If it was around the time that storyline started then I could sort of understand, but they went out of the way to make it so it was clear he was not.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well Shawn Ryan has gone on record as saying that this show takes place over (I forget now but I think just two or three years) so Julian being cured is true in that sense since Ryan explained in these sort of real life arcs they may suppress their feelings for a while until it bubbles back. So in the context of the latter half of the series he was "cured" but it was still a struggle.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Been catching up on this thread to hear the reactions of people new to the series and just wanted to re-post this excellent post-mortem interview of the show's finale with Alan Sepinwall talking with Shawn Ryan. If you've recently caught up on the show I would highly recommend it after watching the finale.

:siren: LINK CONTAINS SERIES FINALE SPOILERS!! :siren:

PRO CLICK IF YOU HAVE FINISHED THE ENTIRE SHOW. NO CLICK IF YOU HAVE NOT -> http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/11/shield-shawn-ryan-post-finale-q.html

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
Like I mentioned in the binge thread, I have finally jumped on The Shield train. I'm only a couple episodes in so far, but now that I have a few days off, I'm going to watch the hell out of it. The pilot blew me away, it was one of the best pilots I have ever seen. I can't believe Vic killed Crowley. As I was watching the episode, I thought for sure this season would revolve around a chess match between those two. But nope, Vic shot the dude in the head. I let out an audible "holy poo poo" when that happened. If THAT is the pilot, I can't imagine how much better it gets from here.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Please give us regular updates as your viewing progresses. We all love to live vicariously through newbies.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Restarting my....third? Fourth? Run through of this show, just turned on the pilot. I've missed the gang! Haven't seen an episode of this since like 2010.

I like how this show hits the ground running. Dude sells his child for crack :stare:

Ok who took my ding dongs

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 25, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Conquistador posted:

Restarting my....third? Fourth? Run through of this show, just turned on the pilot. I've missed the gang! Haven't seen an episode of this since like 2010.

I like how this show hits the ground running. Dude sells his child for crack :stare:

Ok who took my ding dongs

If there is one thing this show needs and that is the baby merchant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_3AaY1BG8k

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I lasted 25 seconds

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Conquistador posted:

I lasted 25 seconds

YOu can not handle the amazing Cop Rock?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Third episode, they are holding the basketball player so that his team won't get a win. Couple things: Shane immediately saying he has to call his bookie was hilarious, and then when Aceveda takes Vic's line (almost) verbatim as to where the athlete is, re: female admirer/deep in snatch

This is literally the first no spoiler thread I've ever posted in, is poo poo like that even worth the tags or just basically safe to do everything?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Remulak fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ordinarily I don't probate for empty quoting but in this case I'll make an exception :colbert:

• Locked thread