Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

elf help book posted:

I was having good luck finding Carpenter Bugs in area 4 of Moga Woods.

Oh note, since people keep asking, Carpenter Bugs can be found in the Sandy Desert, or in the Moga Forest (Area 4, the caves, if you enter from the south, immediately turn right and you can go into a tunnel for an extra bug gathering point).

Killer Beetles are found in the Flooded Forest bug gathering points.

The rest of this stuff is more from memories of Tri: I seem to remember Pegalicite from Jhen Mohran, Malacite is rare in Moga, less in Sandy Desert, and common in Flooded Forest.

Issium is in the tundra.... Can't remember any more stuff off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verror
May 10, 2012

Vallens posted:

You might be in the wrong spot if you picked Queropeco. Are you in online mode?

Very well could be, I took the ferry and talked to the Guild in the tavern. I should have figured something was up when there wasn't a tutorial..! Went back to the first Village and am doing what I assume to be the tutorial now- now my only problem is that I thirst for battle.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Verror posted:

Very well could be, I took the ferry and talked to the Guild in the tavern. I should have figured something was up when there wasn't a tutorial..! Went back to the first Village and am doing what I assume to be the tutorial now- now my only problem is that I thirst for battle.

Yeah, you went online. You take the boat out to the other village, and that's all the multi-player quests. You CAN solo them, but not as your first hunts. Go back to Moga Village and finish up talking to random people there. You'll eventually be talking to the chick in red for quests near the back left.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

KGBAgent185 posted:

The rest of this stuff is more from memories of Tri: I seem to remember Pegalicite from Jhen Mohran, Malacite is rare in Moga, less in Sandy Desert, and common in Flooded Forest.

Issium is in the tundra.... Can't remember any more stuff off the top of my head.

Pelagicite can be pretty easily found in the flooded forest too, but only underwater.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

gobbledygoat posted:

Pelagicite can be pretty easily found in the flooded forest too, but only underwater.

Hrm... what was the Jhen ore I wonder....

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
So I killed a Great Jaggi, then wandered into Moga Woods and got killed by a Great Jaggi.

The circle of life.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The game didn't explain it very well (read: at all), how do online and offline mode actually work? The cat says there's the village, the port, the tavern, and network mode, what the hell's the difference?

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

Ciaphas posted:

The game didn't explain it very well (read: at all), how do online and offline mode actually work? The cat says there's the village, the port, the tavern, and network mode, what the hell's the difference?

I had to look it up in the manual, the port and tavern are just two different screens of the same area, the tavern being the quest and food area, the port is the shops and smithy. Solo port is for doing multiplayer quests solo, multi port is for local multiplayer with 3dses, while network mode is online play.

KGBAgent185 posted:

Hrm... what was the Jhen ore I wonder....

That's also pelagecite, it's just way easier to find on his back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gobbledygoat posted:

I had to look it up in the manual, the port and tavern are just two different screens of the same area, the tavern being the quest and food area, the port is the shops and smithy. Solo port is for doing multiplayer quests solo, multi port is for local multiplayer with 3dses, while network mode is online play.

Okay, that's about what I was guessing, but that only makes half sense--what on earth is Network Play supposed to do on the 3DS, and the multi port on the Wii U?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Ciaphas posted:

If you talk to Neko, and take his boat, you can go into the online guild quests. There are 2 flavors "Solo" I think it's obvious, you play the quests offline by yourself, or "Multi" you select a room and join up with friends.

If you stay in Moga village and talk to the woman in red near the rear left, you'll be doing what a lot of people call Elder/Village quests. These are generally easier and are better for beginner players. The Guild quests will be much more difficult, with the monsters having more HP, and doing more damage.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I love long swords, drat. I don't know why I never messed with them before. Forget blocking, they rule.

Also I'm having some insane luck with drops in this game. I got like 3 Barroth Scalps in one run. In Tri, it took quite a few.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 20, 2013

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

I fell in love with the hunting horn :3:

Awesome moveset, insane buffs, kicking aethestic.

If you want me I'll be over here kicking it on my golden bear sitar :cool:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

gobbledygoat posted:

I fell in love with the hunting horn :3:

Awesome moveset, insane buffs, kicking aethestic.

If you want me I'll be over here kicking it on my golden bear sitar :cool:
Same here. Since HH doesn't have a guard, there's no reason for me to equip the Auto-Guard charm you get for free, right?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is the charm table on the 3ds version as well?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

dvorak posted:

I love long swords, drat. I don't know why I never messed with them before. Forget blocking, they rule.

Also I'm having some insane luck with drops in this game. I got like 3 Barroth Scalps in one run. In Tri, it took quite a few.

Just don't go around swinging with the r-trigger attack near your team-mates, it trips them like anything.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Is the charm table on the 3ds version as well?

Yes.The tables are just the seed your games' RNG are set to for what charms you get.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Remade my guy and got table 10. I didn't realize the time charts had the third number be seconds and I mistakenly counted the split seconds.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alright, the table test says I'm in (Edit table 1, oops). If i don't give a poo poo about min maxing, I'm basically good to go, right?

(Edit) while I'm here, is there a difference between a red and a green icon over me head wen I've accepted a quest?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 20, 2013

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Two plates off my first Rathian :smug:

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

Ciaphas posted:

Alright, the table test says I'm in (Edit table 1, oops). If i don't give a poo poo about min maxing, I'm basically good to go, right?

(Edit) while I'm here, is there a difference between a red and a green icon over me head wen I've accepted a quest?

Color is the style of quest. Red is capture/kill, green is gather. Usually.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man, the text is still all wonky a lot of the times, and this is with the option turned off and the slider at the bottom. No 3D to be had, yet the text is blurry. Looks like the letters are smudged, actually.

Just got Cha-Cha. And now it's off to see my old friend Mr. Hardflints. One day, I'll have a hammer tough enough to crack those things easily!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Next DLC is coming next tuesday (26th).

Two quests: One to hunt a Giginox and earn a special weapon, and one to hunt a Royal Ludroth, Lagiacrus, and Gobul in the flooded forest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Was there an ETA on when pad play was going to be patched in?

DoktorSandvich
May 15, 2011
I got table 13, and it seems it's the worst of the good tables.

Should I be worried? How much is it actually going to effect me in the late game?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

^^^ I have 13 to; and unless I can toss items over to another character I'm saying gently caress it

After beating up a Great Jaggie I went out had dinner and came back. Decided to try online and got thrown up against some giant lemon lizard twice and the demo rabbit dude twice.

They were... certainly a step up in difficulty. I felt kind of awkward though; the guys around me had some pretty boss looking armor and weapons and here I am with my store bought crap and hunting knife. Strange part was I seemed to be playing better then the guys I was with. They kept fainting while I danced around and slapped things in the face.

jjef
Jul 25, 2008
Can anyone provide some insight into if local multiplayer is region locked?

I live in Japan and would love to be able to play this with my buddies over here that own the Japanese version of this game.

Anyways, I've looked around online and can't find a definite answer.

Edit: Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm talking about the 3DS version.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

DoktorSandvich posted:

I got table 13, and it seems it's the worst of the good tables.

Should I be worried? How much is it actually going to effect me in the late game?

Well, you only have access to 1/10th of the amount of charms that are on the non-cursed tables, the charms that you do have available to you are not that great, and you might not even be able to get access to a whole set of weapons (rusted and ancient weapons). Better to start a new character over.

DoktorSandvich
May 15, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

Well, you only have access to 1/10th of the amount of charms that are on the non-cursed tables, the charms that you do have available to you are not that great, and you might not even be able to get access to a whole set of weapons (rusted and ancient weapons). Better to start a new character over.

:catstare:
Whelp, time to learn how to mine again!

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

Ignimbrite posted:

No no no; 13 isn't a cursed table. It's a good table. It has the same number of charms as table 10. According to the description, it doesn't have a lot of high level stand-out charms, but the chances that you'd get one of those is pretty slim.

If it bothers you that you can get the super best charms, then restart. Otherwise, you should be fine with your big table.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ChibiSoma posted:

Man, the text is still all wonky a lot of the times, and this is with the option turned off and the slider at the bottom. No 3D to be had, yet the text is blurry. Looks like the letters are smudged, actually.

Yeah, shutting off the 3D is barely an improvement. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised because Capcom, but still. There's really no excuse when other 3DS games have small text that doesn't look like complete garbage, so it can't be the system or the resolution of the screens that is at fault here.

Azuros was hilariously short lived, even with the starting Long Sword. Granted, it was a village quest specifically to capture it, but I was having problems not killing it because I'd get way too zealous with spirit combos :saddowns:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

The_North posted:

No no no; 13 isn't a cursed table. It's a good table. It has the same number of charms as table 10. According to the description, it doesn't have a lot of high level stand-out charms, but the chances that you'd get one of those is pretty slim.

If it bothers you that you can get the super best charms, then restart. Otherwise, you should be fine with your big table.

Damnit I read that wrong sorry and I should have realised DoktorSandvich said 13, I know it's not cursed, why did I say that. Yeah. Restart if you care that much about getting the best skills, but otherwise you should be fine with table 13.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 20, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alright, I beat the poo poo out of the Great Jaggi, now the game is at least getting a bit more interesting. Done for the night I think, but I've got some more questions! Oh joy!

- Is there any way to cause time to pass besides completing a quest? The horn thing the table check video recommended was reasonably quick, though you'd think there would be a "Skip A Day" option somewhere.

- At the end of mission rewards, are all those just me deciding what to do with the items I already picked up while on the quest, or are those extra rewards in addition to what I picked up?

- Ultimately now that I'm starting to crawl out of tutorial land, there's no real goal beyond 'kill dudes; get loot; kill bigger dudes; get better loot, repeat", right? I'm fine with this as long as it stays fun, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

- Are some weapons just outright not going to work against some monsters/in some situations, be it due to immunities or reach or some other fuckin thing? I'd have to stick to long swords and dual blades only to find that I literally cannot progress without learning how to use a slow weapon :(

- Did the game ever bother to teach me about skills and I just missed it or is that later? For such a long tutorial I still feel like I'm out to lunch on a lot.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Ciaphas posted:

Alright, I beat the poo poo out of the Great Jaggi, now the game is at least getting a bit more interesting. Done for the night I think, but I've got some more questions! Oh joy!

- Is there any way to cause time to pass besides completing a quest? The horn thing the table check video recommended was reasonably quick, though you'd think there would be a "Skip A Day" option somewhere.

- At the end of mission rewards, are all those just me deciding what to do with the items I already picked up while on the quest, or are those extra rewards in addition to what I picked up?

- Ultimately now that I'm starting to crawl out of tutorial land, there's no real goal beyond 'kill dudes; get loot; kill bigger dudes; get better loot, repeat", right? I'm fine with this as long as it stays fun, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

- Are some weapons just outright not going to work against some monsters/in some situations, be it due to immunities or reach or some other fuckin thing? I'd have to stick to long swords and dual blades only to find that I literally cannot progress without learning how to use a slow weapon :(

- Did the game ever bother to teach me about skills and I just missed it or is that later? For such a long tutorial I still feel like I'm out to lunch on a lot.

- The mission rewards are extra stuff

- Kill monsters and wear their skin as a hat :black101:

- AFAIK all weapons are equally viable, but shorter weapons will have some trouble against really tall monsters like Plesioth sometimes.

- I'm in the same boat as you here :shrug: You can find a brief description of skills in one of the menus, I think it's in equipment or something.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

Ciaphas posted:

Nah, you gotta do a quest or free hunt to pass time. You can't just skip a day (the delay on farming/fishing would be pointless, if this were the case).

Ciaphas posted:

Those are items in addition to what you picked up in the quest.

Ciaphas posted:

Basically, yeah. They throw some small story things around some of the encounters, but it's pretty thin.

Ciaphas posted:

You can basically beat any monster with any weapon. Monsters don't have weapon type immunities. They will have resistances and weaknesses to certain elemental types, but those types aren't limited to certain weapons. Basically any weapon can have any elemental type.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure if the game ever does explain skills. They basically work like this: each piece of armor can give you pluses or minuses to specific skills. The pluses and minuses don't do anything until they hit a certain threshold (normally +10 or -10). Some skills don't have any negative effect so they can go as negative as you want without any penalty. Some skills have additional thresholds above +10, like +15. At the next threshold, the effect will get more powerful.

Just to emphasize: skills have NO EFFECT until they hit a certain threshold (normally +10). +9 in a skill does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

There are descriptions of all the skills and the thresholds they activate at in the game, but you'll have to fight with some menus to find them. There are a lot of useful menus, so it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with them early on.

J
Jun 10, 2001

What's a good early game way to poison these little bugs (the ones that explode when you hit them) so that they die and you can get the carves off them? I seem to have forgotten what I used against them in tri.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Poison bombs work the best. Toadstool + bomb casing.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I'm probably missing something obvious, but how do you do the downloadable quests?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

J posted:

What's a good early game way to poison these little bugs (the ones that explode when you hit them) so that they die and you can get the carves off them? I seem to have forgotten what I used against them in tri.

Light bowgun + Poison shot, my man.

I really want to try the bow, but the starting one is pretty awful. That one made from Wroggi though, looks pretty sweet.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ciaphas posted:

This has always been the worst bit of Monster Hunter, it starts you off fighting lots of little dudes which is obviously not where the game shines. I know they can't just throw you at the big guys, but fighting a crowd is the least Monster Hunter thing.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

Zeeman posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but how do you do the downloadable quests?

From the Multiplayer area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fivegears4reverse posted:

Yeah, shutting off the 3D is barely an improvement. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised because Capcom, but still. There's really no excuse when other 3DS games have small text that doesn't look like complete garbage, so it can't be the system or the resolution of the screens that is at fault here.

The weird thing is, some lines are perfectly fine. The text looks crisp. You can read it just fine. Then the next line, sometimes on the very same 'page' of text, the same letters will be skewed. It's the strangest god drat thing and for the life of me I can't figure out what's up with it.

The most annoying part of the early game isn't so much the boring quests, it's that once you get into the 3-star territory, you have a ton of armors, and they all require more grinding than they're worth. I haven't even finished a Great Jaggi set and I've just downed Peco and Wroggi. Royal Ludroth's on tap for tomorrow. Probably gun for his armor next. As much as I like Peco's, Ludroth's is way easier to farm up. No flint breaks.

When the bubbling hell am I gonna start opening up more weapons? Only got a paltry amount here. I forgot what triggers weapons appearing. Is it acquiring a piece of what makes it?

I know I should go back and do all the boring quests tomorrow, too. Like fishing. And carrying eggs. And that god damned infernal second Monster Guts quest that I know is gonna take the entire 50 minutes. Unless I'm thinking of a different quest involving those stupid sand monsters.

• Locked thread