Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Glottis posted:

How is it an XKCD joke? I thought the only joke he made about SQL injection was naming a kid, he didn't invent the idea.

He didn't invent it, but he vastly raised its profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

scamtank posted:

It's an XKCD joke.

Oh. That's why it's not funny.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ive seen the bottom picture of the gibberish over the license plate kicking around the internet for at least the past few years. The rest is new to me though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I still don't understand why it is there? The computer reads it as data?? I don't get it.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Hollis posted:

I still don't understand why it is there? The computer reads it as data?? I don't get it.

Ya, basically... The idea is it tries to insert whatever it reads on the license plate into the database. And this assumes they're not validating the data it reads, so what's on the "license plate" actually injects code into a simple insert statement, doing something harmful to the database in the process.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hollis posted:

The theory of it is that the computer reads that whole license plate and accepts it as input, saving the whole thing as one text field in a database. When that text field is later read by the computer, it sees a license plate number in the six-character format it expects, and then a snippet of valid computer code. A poorly designed system would assume that that snippet of code is not part of the text field, and is in fact the next instruction it's supposed to execute - it mistakes the code content of the text field for it's own programming, essentially. That particular snippet of code is an instruction to delete the database.

It definitely wouldn't work - optical character reading technology used for this purpose, for example, would not recognise a comma or parentheses. There are also several other reasons.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

scamtank posted:

It's an XKCD joke.

Oh, so I need to be autistic to get it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
just to expand on what gooby on rails didn't say, it's not an XKCD joke, it's a supernerd joke. Let's not confuse autism and supernerdity, although I'm sure there's a good amount of overlap

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Jesus christ I think SH/SC is leaking.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Where'd you get that picture of every goon ever?

Glottis posted:

just to expand on what gooby on rails didn't say, it's not an XKCD joke, it's a supernerd joke. Let's not confuse autism and supernerdity, although I'm sure there's a good amount of overlap

Fair enough.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

See this mouth? This is where I smoke cigarettes and drink dew. See this computer? This is where I own noobs. See that coathanger? That's where I keep my black tanktop while I sleep. And you see that door? You see that door, mom? That's where you're taking your rear end and that camera, cus I'm busy raiding, and if dad wants to loving see me he can drag his rear end out of that hospital bed and come here himself instead of having you take loving pictures of me. gently caress. *Puts on Sennheisers playing Nightwish*

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

http://xkcd.com/327/

That's why everyone is saying its an XKCD joke.

But yeah, this:

gooby on rails posted:

He didn't invent it, but he vastly raised its profile.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

noggut posted:

See this mouth? This is where I smoke cigarettes and drink dew. See this computer? This is where I own noobs. See that coathanger? That's where I keep my black tanktop while I sleep. And you see that door? You see that door, mom? That's where you're taking your rear end and that camera, cus I'm busy raiding, and if dad wants to loving see me he can drag his rear end out of that hospital bed and come here himself instead of having you take loving pictures of me. gently caress. *Puts on Sennheisers playing Nightwish*

The worst part is he actually drinks Mountain Breeze.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Real gamers drink Hee Haw or Mountain Lightning.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Real gamers drink.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Druggachusettes posted:

Real gamers drink Hee Haw or Mountain Lightning.

From the goldmined Unlicensed Crappy Crap thread:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What? Mello Yello is the best soda not named for a Dr.

Shameful!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Dr. Shameful! is the worst soda, though :psyduck:

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
There's even more on the list that haven't been checked off. Who the hell has enough time and soda knowledge to compile that kind of list?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It always saddens me to read old threads like this that used Waffleimages and see only broken links. It's like a graveyard.

Content!

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mountain Holler :sun:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Vault was NOT unlicensed crap. It was made of deliciousness and go-power.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I don't know, I think Mountain Holler is probably insanely good. I would pay someone a million dollars for a clean version of that sun wearing sunglasses.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

I'm intensely curious about HILLBILLY HOLLER. That can't not taste awesome.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

KittenofDoom posted:

Who the hell has enough time and soda knowledge to compile that kind of list?

Thanks, autism!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

forkbucket posted:

It tastes like a watered down, cheap Mountain Dew basically. Real cheap.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Mountain Holler is the best just because of its "Radical CITRUS Thirst Blaster" slogan.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

forkbucket posted:

They missed one:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

The new Hobbit movies are going in a weird direction.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I wanna see bottles of Mountain Goat.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Easter is ready at my house!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

QwertySanchez posted:

I wanna see bottles of Mountain Goat.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

kalvick posted:

Needs a gun

MagnumLode
Apr 10, 2004

Have some Kool-Aid, dipshit.
What about Mountain Lightning?

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Evil baby bunnies cannot be fed solid food until after the first week.

Dillbag posted:

Jesus christ I think SH/SC is leaking.

How the gently caress can you smoke that much and still be that fat?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

kalvick posted:

The funny thing about this picture to me is that Red Lobster-style Chesapeke Bay biscuits are ridiculously cheap and very easy to make with a $3-$4 box of Bisquick. You just follow the basic rolled biscuit recipe on the box but mix in a couple of ounces of grated cheese, maybe a teaspoon of powdered garlic, and figure out how you prefer the spice levels in the butter brush-on yourself. Ironically I learned the basics of the recipe from a really terrible reddit-rageface-esque meme but it totally works.

Amazon.com shows those at over $12 per box, wow.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

kalvick posted:

Mini-eggs are the crack cocaine of Easter treats.

• Locked thread