Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21848746

I'm Ian Hislop, and I shouldn't be regulated whahaha wha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

JoylessJester posted:

The whole "this thing was put together at 2.30am after much argument" thing sort of stands up though. If we're gonna do it, do it right first time.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Plavski posted:

The whole "this thing was put together at 2.30am after much argument" thing sort of stands up though. If we're gonna do it, do it right first time.

All sides disagreed, they discussed it for a long time and arrived at something (late at night) they could all agree with. Somehow, not rushing to a decision and getting agreement are bad things?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Seems the Hackgate supergrass(es) have been given immunity from prosecution.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To be clear, what, specifically, will this new regulatory body cover? I was under the impression that phone-hacking and the like was already illegal, so in what ways does this help?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
It seems to me that if newspapers sign up to this they skip the regular legal route and go straight to arbitration that basically says "Ok we looked at this and you hosed up, pay these guys a tiny fraction of what they'd get from a drawn out lawsuit and print an apology with equal coverage to the original fuckup."

Those that didn't sign up to it are going to be officially/unofficially treated as suspicious when someone takes them to court and will face corporate sized penalties when they get caught loving up again.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hislop does have a point in that the papers should be answerable to the courts if they don't follow the rules. I've got a drat sight more faith in the judiciary than a supposedly independent watchdog.

JoylessJester posted:

Following that link ended up with me listening to some prick moan about how he lost his £1.8 million lottery win because he 'couldn't live on' £365 interest a day.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

JoylessJester posted:

I think Hislop more than anyone has the right to be concerned; he's not known as the most sued man in Britain for nothing. That said, the Eye haven't actually had a libel writ against them in ages. And Private Eye actually got some praise from Leveson. It's a shame that his objections on practicality (the Eye's legal defence fund is kept up by donations) is being drowned about about the powerful media barons whining that they aren't allowed to break the law any more.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

TinTower posted:

I think Hislop more than anyone has the right to be concerned; he's not known as the most sued man in Britain for nothing. That said, the Eye haven't actually had a libel writ against them in ages. And Private Eye actually got some praise from Leveson. It's a shame that his objections on practicality (the Eye's legal defence fund is kept up by donations) is being drowned about about the powerful media barons whining that they aren't allowed to break the law any more.

If every paper was like The Eye I would oppose this law, but they are not. The Eye wins it's cases because they do proper journalism, backed by sources; so the plaintiff doesn't have a leg to stand on and usually takes The Eye to court either out of vanity or an attempt to bully them. Both are bad ideas.

To my mind most of this could have been boiled down to the low cost arbitration service and then leaving the current law to do it job. That and ownership.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HauntedRobot posted:

I look forward to the first equal prominence correction they have to make under the new system. All the papers were terrible at this, burying retractions on page 7 or wherever. If a new regulator actually has the power to say "No, not good enough" it'll be fun to watch.

Retractions get posted on the front page/cover in 24-pt bolded letters in a single simple English sentences, like "We were wrong about x" or "Immigrants not baby-eating mongrels". :getin:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Retractions get posted on the front page/cover in 24-pt bolded letters in a single simple English sentences, like "We were wrong about x" or "Immigrants not baby-eating mongrels". :getin:

I like the idea of the apology taking up the same space as the original story. So 5 pages of making GBS threads all over Chris Jefferies? Well that's 5 pages retracting all that poo poo. Not going to happen but I can dream....

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ian Hislop's position on this has always been "we don't need anything new; all we need is for the existing laws to actually be properly enforced; and by the way, why was nobody enforcing those laws, isn't that the real problem?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drpegpSdmks

Which is a point of view that I do have a lot of sympathy for. From 1:00.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Trin Tragula posted:

Ian Hislop's position on this has always been "we don't need anything new; all we need is for the existing laws to actually be properly enforced; and by the way, why was nobody enforcing those laws, isn't that the real problem?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drpegpSdmks

Which is a point of view that I do have a lot of sympathy for. From 1:00.

He's right, of course, but the inquiry was not just looking at the press doing illegal stuff, but also immoral stuff and ownership, and people forget that.

Why should we have a press that is allowed to print demonstrably inaccurate material that third parties cannot make a complaint about, etc.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

notaspy posted:

If every paper was like The Eye I would oppose this law, but they are not. The Eye wins it's cases because they do proper journalism, backed by sources; so the plaintiff doesn't have a leg to stand on and usually takes The Eye to court either out of vanity or an attempt to bully them.
This is not as true as you're making it out. They get things wrong reasonably often.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
They do, and they print frequent corrections and letters from complainants.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Like the time they profusely apologised for printing around 10-odd years of stuff backing up Andrew Wakefield's MMR-autism link claims and oh wait.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Like the time they profusely apologised for printing around 10-odd years of stuff backing up Andrew Wakefield's MMR-autism link claims and oh wait.

I remember this apology, it was basically "sure our reporting was contrary to all the scientific evidence and was probably causing children to catch avoidable diseases, but we were trying to speak our for worried mothers, so we're still the good guys really", they put the apology in the back pages while in the front of the issue they were slamming Wakefield as if they'd never agreed with him.

Private eye does not deserve the light touch they get, they should be scrutinised just as heavily as everyone else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Down goes the deputy editor of the Sun. And by "down" I mean "charged with bribery".

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Down goes the deputy editor of the Sun. And by "down" I mean "charged with bribery".

Not just bribery but 'conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office' which is worse as far as the eyes of the law. Hes defiantly going to jail for a few years if found guilty as that offence always leads to jail and can lead to a life sentence.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ukle posted:

Not just bribery but 'conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office' which is worse as far as the eyes of the law.
Do you feel like expanding on that? I'm interested.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you feel like expanding on that? I'm interested.

Surmising the CPS page on the subject, it appears to generally refer to the idea that the perpetrator would have not only known about the crime, but deliberately let the crime continue with full knowledge of its happening. There's a bunch of other qualifiers which dictate the severity of the punishment, and reading through the list it seems as though many of them would probably apply to the deputy editor in question.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
It probably means not only bribing the officer(s) but also encouraging them to get more stories and telling them who to dig up dirt on with police resources. Or something like that. Let's wait and see, shall we? :munch:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The short version is that bribing a police officer to (for example) neglect their duties or break the law carries much harsher penalties than just bribing them to tip you off to already-public information or something.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This might be a bit tangental but the Leveson report included a section on how the media is perpetually disparaging and demeaning trans* individuals. This includes articles such as this wonderful little shitshow by Littlejohn on a primary school teacher, Lucy Meadows.

http://web.archive.org/web/20121221195332/http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2251347/Nathan-Uptons-wrong-body--hes-wrong-job.html

It got pulled down this week. Did Littlejohn have a change of conscience about being an enormous shitstain?

Ah, of course not. Lucy Meadows killed herself after three months of vicious hate mail and death threats.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/zinniajones/2013/03/trans-woman-commits-suicide-after-being-bullied-by-the-daily-mail/

Christ.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Hey BM, nice profile in the Guardian. I expect you'll soon be able to do this sort of stuff for a living.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

One of my favourite responses

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Someone needs to use their Aaron Sorkin hotline...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brown Moses posted:

Hey, congratulations. That's a really great article. And they explained your avatar, which is nice, because I was wondering where it was from. :)

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
You know that Guardian "Three Little Pigs" advert where the guy is in his dressing gown on the phone next to a laptop and cuttings saying "Was it an inside job?"

I think that's you, BM.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Congrats, BM! Thanks for these awesome threads. I don't live in the UK but this one has been really interesting.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More awesome Tweets

To his 117,000 followers.

I'm also having CNN coming to my house with a camera crew next week.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 22, 2013

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

More awesome Tweets

To his 117,000 followers.

I'm also having CNN coming to my house with a camera crew next week.
'Bout drat time you started getting the proper journalistic recognition you deserve. Roll on the jobs offers...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Plavski posted:

'Bout drat time you started getting the proper journalistic recognition you deserve. Roll on the jobs offers...

Well the media requests are flooding in, I've already got two BBC World Service interviews, one CNN news crew coming to my house, and two requests from German channels to do interviews. I've been asked to do East Midlands Today as well, but I think I've got too many national and international interviews lined up to fit it in.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Well the media requests are flooding in, I've already got two BBC World Service interviews, one CNN news crew coming to my house, and two requests from German channels to do interviews. I've been asked to do East Midlands Today as well, but I think I've got too many national and international interviews lined up to fit it in.
"Move over Paul Staines, there's a new sheriff in town."

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Did you imagine all this when you started blogging about this BM? Because this is like, loving awesome and you deserve mad props for your efforts.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Was this a slow buildup, or has something new happened in the last few weeks we aren't aware of?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

So far everything is to do with Syria, have they asked you anything about your Leveson work? Or are they avoid that as you're not on 'their' side?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ACanofPepsi posted:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Was this a slow buildup, or has something new happened in the last few weeks we aren't aware of?

It's really been since the Croatian arms story when I got a lot of journalists contacting me. The Guardian asked to an interview, and I thought I would take advantage of that. Now I've got several radio and TV interviews lined up for next week, apart from CNN, including the BBC Worldservice (twice), Deutsche Welle, and a Dutch TV channel.

PiCroft posted:

Did you imagine all this when you started blogging about this BM? Because this is like, loving awesome and you deserve mad props for your efforts.

The whole reason I called it Brown Moses Blog is because I though hardly anyone would read it, and I didn't need to waste time on the name. How wrong I was.

notaspy posted:

So far everything is to do with Syria, have they asked you anything about your Leveson work? Or are they avoid that as you're not on 'their' side?

I think they just are more interested in the Syria stuff, especially with the Croatian arms work I did recently.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

It's a drat shame, because while I must ultimately admit that Syria is more important as men and women are losing their lives there every day, the blatancy and depth of the corruption at News Corp has truly been gobsmacking to watch unfold. And unfortunately, people seem all too eager to utterly ignore it. At least, stateside. Every single time I've thought every thing had been uncovered, there would be a slew new arrests, or hacking claims, or bribery, and god, it just goes on with no end.

Although, I am somewhat confused. Just last week Microsoft was being investigated for bribery of foreign officials by US forces. How has News Corp escaped that? It's now been beyond well established that they bribed foreign officials, and drat near kept the entire police force of the UK on the payroll. When does the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act kick in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It's a drat shame, because while I must ultimately admit that Syria is more important as men and women are losing their lives there every day, the blatancy and depth of the corruption at News Corp has truly been gobsmacking to watch unfold. And unfortunately, people seem all too eager to utterly ignore it. At least, stateside. Every single time I've thought every thing had been uncovered, there would be a slew new arrests, or hacking claims, or bribery, and god, it just goes on with no end.

Although, I am somewhat confused. Just last week Microsoft was being investigated for bribery of foreign officials by US forces. How has News Corp escaped that? It's now been beyond well established that they bribed foreign officials, and drat near kept the entire police force of the UK on the payroll. When does the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act kick in?

As I understand it the FBI (who lead these cases) like to lay low and keep quite while they build their case.... then BAM! They hit you straight in the nuts.

With other cases still going through the courts I bet they are waiting for all the poo poo to come out before proceeding to make their case ultra rock solid and have a wider scope. Right now it's low level dudes, but the end of 2015 it might go all the way to the top.

• Locked thread