Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Rockstar Mayhem Festival bands were just announced. Their site hasn't updated, but I see Amon Amarth has posted it.

http://www.amonamarth.com/2013/03/18/amon-amarth-to-play-mayhem/

Looking forward to seeing AA and Behemoth again.

Looks like I'll be able to make it home early after too. Not bad for $20 lawn tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Dynamite
Sep 28, 2010

Bob Shabazz posted:

New Kvelertak album is leaked and you can listen to it here:

http://stereogum.com/1290242/stream-kvelertak-meir-stereogum-premiere/album-stream/

On first listen it's alright. Not quite what I was expecting/hoping and there's a block of songs that are all twice as long as they should be. Hopefully it grows on me.

"The video you are trying to watch cannot be viewed from your current country or location"

:negative:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Grey Dynamite posted:

"The video you are trying to watch cannot be viewed from your current country or location"

:negative:

http://www.proxfree.com/youtube-proxy.php

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I'm selling all my black band t-shirts if anyone wants a basic metal starter kit \ :) / - there's no reserve or anything, I'm just trying to get rid of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300878258132

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Bob Shabazz posted:

New Kvelertak...

On first listen it's alright. Not quite what I was expecting/hoping and there's a block of songs that are all twice as long as they should be. Hopefully it grows on me.

Yeah, pretty much the same sentiment and I was enamored with their debut. Trepan and Undertro are solid at first blush.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

Durendal posted:

So a guy from Nashville by the name of Bob Baxter records a prog metal album... and it loving owns.

Destroyer; Preserver - I

It's also on bandcamp for name your own price, so you have no excuse to not listen to it.

I really like this a lot, thanks for the heads up!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

I'm selling all my black band t-shirts if anyone wants a basic metal starter kit \ :) / - there's no reserve or anything, I'm just trying to get rid of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300878258132

I ripped the sleeves off a few of mine and wear them in the gym for maximum pump

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
So I went to the Philthadelphia Infest festival this weekend, and after those two days I have to say that Eat The Turnbuckle are one of the most fun bands I have ever seen live. You don't know what a mosh pit is until you jump into one of their melee's.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
The new Hypocrisy leaked and it's not bad. Strangely enough the title track is my least favorite so far. I don't exactly hear the "return to sound" they were talking about but it's in the same league as Virus, I think.

edit: I was wrong, Virus and Extreme Divinity are better but this one does have some good songs on it

KingKapalone posted:

Rockstar Mayhem Festival bands were just announced. Their site hasn't updated, but I see Amon Amarth has posted it.

Looking forward to seeing AA and Behemoth again.

Ugh the rest of the lineup sucks so hard I have to pass on Amon Amarth for the first time since I got into them. :(

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 20, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone want a fake Bolt Thrower shirt?

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Bolt-thrower-who-dares-wins-2-Sided-Side-Youth-Adult-S-M-L-XL-2XL-3XL-T-Shirt/106900549

I won't lie, I bought one and I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

KingKapalone posted:

Haha I totally forgot about the 1-800-ASK-GARY Amphitheatre. Sucks they'll change it back to something lame this year.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Last night I came across a list that Metal Injection recently published as the Top 10 Most Influential Heavy Metal Albums of All Time. While most of the time, I dismiss these "lists" as completely subjective, I think that this one seems to be pretty accurate to me.

1. Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast
3. Metallica's Ride The Lightining
4. Venom's Black Metal
5. Death's Scream Bloody Gore
6. Pantera's Cowboys From Hell
7. Slayer's Reign In Blood
8. At The Gates's Slaughter of the Soul
9. Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve
10. Dream Theater's Images and Words (Really?)

Agree / Disagree / Discuss

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Seems solid enough to me, though I also disagree on the Dream Theater inclusion; they've always seemed to fall much closer to the rock spectrum of things, especially given the amount of ballads they plant on their albums as well. I mean gently caress, even with their own streak of synthy-poppy albums I'd say that Rush is more metal than DT.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Last night I came across a list

Lists are almost universally dumb, but if you like prog metal at all yes, DT deserve a mention.

Cheapsteaks posted:

Seems solid enough to me, though I also disagree on the Dream Theater inclusion; they've always seemed to fall much closer to the rock spectrum of things, especially given the amount of ballads they plant on their albums as well. I mean gently caress, even with their own streak of synthy-poppy albums I'd say that Rush is more metal than DT.

I love Rush, but nah, they aren't metal. I totally get why people might not like Dream Theater, but come on.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Last night I came across a list that Metal Injection recently published as the Top 10 Most Influential Heavy Metal Albums of All Time. While most of the time, I dismiss these "lists" as completely subjective, I think that this one seems to be pretty accurate to me.

1. Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast
3. Metallica's Ride The Lightining
4. Venom's Black Metal
5. Death's Scream Bloody Gore
6. Pantera's Cowboys From Hell
7. Slayer's Reign In Blood
8. At The Gates's Slaughter of the Soul
9. Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve

I mean really those are the progenitors of their respective genres.

Needs more Power Metal IMO.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 20, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cheapsteaks posted:

I mean gently caress, even with their own streak of synthy-poppy albums I'd say that Rush is more metal than DT.
Haha, comments like this are exactly why Mike Portnoy always went so far over the top trying to make their music METALLLLLL. It's perfectly reasonable to dislike DT's music or think it's conceptually misguided or just plain bad, but saying it's not metal is really silly.

If you're going to pick a prog metal album as being influential, Images & Words is probably not a bad choice. I could see maybe going for Operation: Mindcrime over it in terms of simply having a wider audience and being a concept album, but I think I&W (especially Metropolis Part I) probably better represents prog metal's musical differences.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think it's an alright list if you look at each album as being influential in "its own genre".

I mean really those are the progenitors of their respective genres.

Needs more Power Metal IMO.
That's what Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast was there for, really. Not saying Maiden is power metal exactly, but they easily influenced power metal more than any other non-power-metal band. They could use a Stockholm death metal band or a New York DM band too, but there's only so much space. (and yeah, I would pitch Meshuggah off that but you gotta play to recent trends in that business I guesS)

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Meshuggah and Dream Theater can get right the hell off that list. Manowar or Judas Priest should be in for influencing early power metal.

P.S. Still listening to Arkham Witch drat you all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFaTKJpIbtQ

e: Open the Gates by Manilla Road, that's what should be in the top 10

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 20, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

het posted:

Haha, comments like this are exactly why Mike Portnoy always went so far over the top trying to make their music METALLLLLL. It's perfectly reasonable to dislike DT's music or think it's conceptually misguided or just plain bad, but saying it's not metal is really silly.

If you're going to pick a prog metal album as being influential, Images & Words is probably not a bad choice. I could see maybe going for Operation: Mindcrime over it in terms of simply having a wider audience and being a concept album, but I think I&W (especially Metropolis Part I) probably better represents prog metal's musical differences.

That's what Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast was there for, really. Not saying Maiden is power metal exactly, but they easily influenced power metal more than any other non-power-metal band. They could use a Stockholm death metal band or a New York DM band too, but there's only so much space. (and yeah, I would pitch Meshuggah off that but you gotta play to recent trends in that business I guesS)

Yeah I think Mindcrime is more of the bridge between traditional heavy metal and prog, but Dream Theater is definitely the gold standard as far as defining what Prog Metal is. There are still bands (including Dream Theater themselves, heh) trying to recreate Images & Words.

I'm not big on Meshuggah but like it or not they did singlehandedly invent a new sub-genre. I can't stand 99% of djent but it is prominent and popular, and it really does all go back to Meshuggah.

Honestly I can't really find fault with anything on this list, which is rare.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

het posted:

I see your point! I just think they put a few too many softer songs on their albums, and I've never been too fond of their vocals; because of these two factors it really doesn't fit my definition of "metal" even if they are extremely influential. They seem like a band who has such a large audience that they have no idea who they even need to play for. I'd say that they're more influential to the prog side than to the metal side.

I'll admit to being a bit hypocritical too in that I do enjoy Operation; Mindcrime even if it has the same sort of singing, it seems a lot more coherent to me.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

het posted:

That's what Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast was there for, really. Not saying Maiden is power metal exactly, but they easily influenced power metal more than any other non-power-metal band.

I pretty much agree with this. Iron Maiden did pretty much influence a whole slew of power metal bands to follow.

het posted:

They could use a Stockholm death metal band or a New York DM band too, but there's only so much space.

I guess that I could see bands like Possessed or even Entombed on there too instead of Death, but Chuck Schuldiner did single handedly influence the entire tech/melodic death bands. Hey, he is the godfather of death metal after all.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
This is probably my ignorance talking, but it seems like Black Metal wasn't actually as influential to most of the black metal of the last twenty years as, say, Transilvanian Hunger or some other second-wave album that got cloned forty million times.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

John Magnum posted:

This is probably my ignorance talking, but it seems like Black Metal wasn't actually as influential to most of the black metal of the last twenty years as, say, Transilvanian Hunger or some other second-wave album that got cloned forty million times.

Darkthrone wouldn't exist without Venom, but Bathory had more to do with the modern black metal sound anyway.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kinda tangential, but am I crazy for feeling like Mercyful Fate was hugely influential to early black metal too? I've brought this up before and people look at me like I have two heads because they mostly think of the cheesy falsetto and the bluesy riffs, but I definitely hear a connection. A lot of King's lower/rougher vocals sound proto black metal growls, and a lot of the guitar work and melodies seem like natural precursors to the grim, atmospheric trem picking thinking.

Plus, you know, all the Satan stuff.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

Darkthrone wouldn't exist without Venom, but Bathory had more to do with the modern black metal sound anyway.

You nailed it. Bathory may have had more influenced on the modern black metal sound, but Venom's overall broader influence is undeniable. Let's refer to the professor...

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Awaken the Guardian. Geeze.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Good point on Bathory, and there's definitely no denying that the second-wave dudes were inspired by the first-wave dudes. Thanks for the responses.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Here's a Good List: Fedora Wearing Frontmen

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm not big on Meshuggah but like it or not they did singlehandedly invent a new sub-genre. I can't stand 99% of djent but it is prominent and popular, and it really does all go back to Meshuggah.

The Meshuggah inclusion instantly dates the list. Djent has maybe four years left before everyone moves on. Ebay will be flooded with RGA8s and Axe-FX units before you know it. These things are cyclical; nu-metal became a thing in large part because 7-string guitars and Dual Recs were originally marketed to weedly-wee shred dudes, that poo poo died overnight around 1991, and they were dumped on the used market for super cheap.

It's the same reason that At The Gates album is on there, but poo poo even hardcore kids are jocking Entombed and Obituary these days.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
No Fates Warning, no Judas Priest, no Possessed, and a bunch of albums that were actually derivative? Nah, don't agree with the list.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
What exactly did Pantera do to end up on the list?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Get really, really popular.

Edit: Then break up.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I suppose they were influential in creating the Tough-Guy Weightlifting Metal genre.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

MrBling posted:

Copy Exhorder and also that dude got shot in the head

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Jackass makes list of metal bands, days of bickering ensue: Film At 11

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MrBling posted:

You have to admit it's funny to watch the internet metal nerd opinion on Pantera swing back around.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

watt par posted:

You have to admit it's funny to watch the internet metal nerd opinion on Pantera swing back around.

Cowboys from Hell is a fine album, but it is hardly influential. That was the extent of my point.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Clit Avoider posted:

No Fates Warning, no Judas Priest, no Possessed, and a bunch of albums that were actually derivative? Nah, don't agree with the list.
I don't think an album has to be good or even original to be influential.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

het posted:

I don't think an album has to be good or even original to be influential.

Even so, Awaken the Guardian and Sad Wings of Destiny, Painkiller, Seven Churches are far more influential than several albums listed there. As is Left Hand Path etc. The truth is, if you want to do it purely in the sense of "how many people take direct influence from this album" then that list should be entirely material from the 70s and 80s, and definitely tinged towards heavy/traditional metal rather than any subgenres.

I don't really see the point in lists as always.

[edit] Not to put too fine a point on it - but Discharge actually are a bigger influence than Pantera or Meshugga across the spectrum.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 20, 2013

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

MrBling posted:

Cowboys from Hell is a fine album, but it is hardly influential. That was the extent of my point.

Maybe not in today's metal scene but there was a whole mess of "groove metal" in the 90s that took a hell of a lot from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

If you don't think Images and Words in influential I don't know what to tell you. It's not the best progressive metal album ever, that's not what the list is about, but there will be legit 100s of metal bands who cite it as an influence. It really was definitive for it's time.

Also every time you say Dream Theater aren't metal Portnoy forms another Adrenaline Mob style band so please stop!