Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

grover posted:

The chairman of the house intelligence committee is reporting Assad used chemical weapons against opposition forces. Any videos or photos in the blogosphere about it?

:stare:

gently caress i hope he's just a moron and reporting inaccurate poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

gfanikf posted:

Is this a new report, because otherwise its still he said she said and no confirmation what happend except people sick with respitory issues that could be from an attack releasing a random chemical/industrial thing. Assad was claiming it was the rebels, Rebels claiming it was an Assad launched scud. :iiam:
As of about a half hour ago: http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/19/world/meast/syria-civil-war/index.html

Both sides are claiming the other just used chemical weapons. Syrian state TV is claiming that it was a rebel attack that killed 25 and wounded 86, and released this alleged photo of a chemical attack victim:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bradass87 posted:

:stare:

gently caress i hope he's just a moron and reporting inaccurate poo poo

I suspect he's just repeating what's been said. Here is the quote

quote:

"I have a high probability to believe that chemical weapons were used," Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.) told CNN Tuesday night. "We need that final verification, but given everything we know over the last year and a half, I would come to the conclusion that they are either positioned for use, and ready to do that, or in fact have been used."

Seems like he's just pulling things out of his rear end.

E.

grover posted:

As of about a half hour ago: http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/19/world/meast/syria-civil-war/index.html

Both sides are claiming the other just used chemical weapons. Syrian state TV is claiming that it was a rebel attack that killed 25 and wounded 86, and released this alleged photo of a chemical attack victim:

Yeah, I seem to recall seeing that photo this morning, so I'm thinking this is still just out of the rear end talk.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 20, 2013

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
What's with the guy in the back left corner not even wearing his mask correctly

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If he were a chemical attack victim I would expect either visible burns (they wouldn't have that sheet over a burned area) or at least some kind of breathing equipment.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Godholio posted:

If he were a chemical attack victim I would expect either visible burns (they wouldn't have that sheet over a burned area) or at least some kind of breathing equipment.

Thats not how they work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Who is "they?"

Edit: V Fair enough. Mustard is pretty much my brain's go-to example whenever I think about them.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 20, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

Who is "they?"

Chemical Weapons.
From my limited knowledge of the subject, only a few kinds of chem weapons leave physical marks on the skin.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Not all chemical agents are blistering agents, there are blood, choking and nerve agents that are much, much worse.

Being hit with nerve gas wouldn't leave burns, but it would kill you just as well (actually better)

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Frosted Flake posted:

Not all chemical agents are blistering agents, there are blood, choking and nerve agents that are much, much worse.

Being hit with nerve gas wouldn't leave burns, but it would kill you just as well (actually better)

Are blistering agents the easiest to make? I'm basing this off nothing but nerve agents sounds difficult to use and make.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Are blistering agents the easiest to make? I'm basing this off nothing but nerve agents sounds difficult to use and make.

Yes. They're the oldest and the simplest and there are larger stockpiles of them around the world. Nerve gas is complicated, and even if you side has good CBRN training and equipment (which I doubt the Syrians do) it's still dangerous to use on the frontline.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Friend just sent this to me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Booblord Zagats posted:

Friend just sent this to me.

Pffft that's nothing. When I got out here as a contractor, introduction to the S2 section on my FOB was "Check out this footage we got of this goat herder..."

Then it turns out the guys operating the camera were initially watching some diggers on the road, saw some extra activity, panned over to a guy loving a goat. I'm not sure if they ever went back to the diggers or not.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Wasabi the J posted:

Pffft that's nothing. When I got out here as a contractor, introduction to the S2 section on my FOB was "Check out this footage we got of this goat herder..."

Then it turns out the guys operating the camera were initially watching some diggers on the road, saw some extra activity, panned over to a guy loving a goat. I'm not sure if they ever went back to the diggers or not.

:stare: The perfect smokescreen. This post should be removed for OPSEC before the enemy realizes that a dude loving a goat will distract are troops from any other activity going on in the area.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

:stare: The perfect smokescreen. This post should be removed for OPSEC before the enemy realizes that a dude loving a goat will distract are troops from any other activity going on in the area.

Well, unless that general from the "bomb the dude giving another dude a blowjob" story in the O_o thread is watching the feed, in which case the goat fucker will get a a hellfire for his heinous crime against the one true Lord.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes. They're the oldest and the simplest and there are larger stockpiles of them around the world. Nerve gas is complicated, and even if you side has good CBRN training and equipment (which I doubt the Syrians do) it's still dangerous to use on the frontline.

This is mostly true-ish. I wont give a chem lesson but the reason no one uses blister for anything other than area denial is that dispersing it is retarded. Also there is probably way more nerve agent than anything else. Nerve agents aren't THAT hard to manufacture. It's just super powerful RAID.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The way I see it if the rebels are responsible for the attack then it means they have access to chemical weapons, and a method to launch them over 30km, which is pretty bad news all round. Not that I've seen them ever use anything that could launch a chemical warhead 30km, so the whole thing is a bit fishy. I'm still favouring the theory this is a chemical leak caused by a rocket attack, or something along those lines. A strong chlorine smell was reported at the scene of the attack, and unless the Syrian army has gone retro I doubt they've got chlorine based warheads on their long range missiles.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wasn't there video of rebels in CBRN gear not that long ago? I at least remember seeing a few videos where all the rebels are wearing gas masks.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Wasn't there video of rebels in CBRN gear not that long ago? I at least remember seeing a few videos where all the rebels are wearing gas masks.

There were rebels wearing gas masks, but that could have been for any number of reasons, they could have got their hands on tear gas or something similar for instance.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

iyaayas01 posted:

Well, unless that general from the "bomb the dude giving another dude a blowjob" story in the O_o thread is watching the feed, in which case the goat fucker will get a a hellfire for his heinous crime against the one true Lord.

That story just makes me shudder with the probable war crime.

Regarding my story, I do remember hearing vaguely that the guys in charge of monitoring got in trouble over it, but the video is legend out here still.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Requesting HDI's story about JSTARS vectoring F-16s on something unexpected.

Edited to remove the Shyamalan twist.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

That story just makes me shudder with the probable war crime.

I'm really hoping it's shitthatdidnthappen.txt and the Air Force didn't waste a JDAM on two horny arab dudes having a night on the town.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Can-O-Raid posted:

I'm really hoping it's shitthatdidnthappen.txt and the Air Force didn't waste a JDAM on two horny arab dudes having a night on the town.

Well they could have stopped for a quickie before going IED planting...granted evidence of that would be better than JDAM CURES BLOWJOBS.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone hear reports about a second chemical attack near Damacas? I didn't hear about this yesterday at all, and that is when the article is from.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/03/19/syria-chemical-weapons-second-attack-damascus

quote:

They also state regime forces fired chemical bombs on Damascus, causing "nausea, vomiting, headache, violent and hysterical paralysis of the nerves." Three have died so far, they said in an email to Sakka. They sent this video which appears to depict a man undergoing treatment for chemical exposure:

http://youtu.be/UwbFPMMxEjY

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

gfanikf posted:

Did anyone hear reports about a second chemical attack near Damacas? I didn't hear about this yesterday at all, and that is when the article is from.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/03/19/syria-chemical-weapons-second-attack-damascus

If they fired chemical weapons into a city and only killed 3 people and gave the others some headaches and nausea, those are some broke-rear end chemical weapons. Bad storage?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can-O-Raid posted:

It's a Shim story so it's hopefully bullshit, along with the rest of his stories.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

If they fired chemical weapons into a city and only killed 3 people and gave the others some headaches and nausea, those are some broke-rear end chemical weapons. Bad storage?

Got me. I'm more willing to believe this is a random side effect of a conventional attack than anything else. That said there is an interesting theory that these are small attacks intended to probe the Wests response and see if they can go past the red line without a response. Hell the claim of the rebels using CW almost seems like it sets up a justification for retaliatory strikes. Its also possible the attacks are using low grade weapons or components to lower the thresholds. I mean chlorine bomb gets different reaction than VX.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Since we've been on the subject of North Korea, this is a fairly interesting talk about the regime which I just watched: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/292562-1

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

It's a Shim story so it's hopefully bullshit, along with the rest of his stories.

Wasn't a shim story.

And words hurt, ya know.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I was under the impression that the Syrians have one of the largest and most advanced chemical weapons stockpiles around, so it would surprise me if they decided to start using it for what appears to be a very small engagement. That, or they're testing the waters to see if the President will actually do something about it.

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Red Crown posted:

I was under the impression that the Syrians have one of the largest and most advanced chemical weapons stockpiles around, so it would surprise me if they decided to start using it for what appears to be a very small engagement. That, or they're testing the waters to see if the President will actually do something about it.

That really old can of Raid in your garage is filled with stuff that is one less gay half of a hexane ring away from being a potent sophisticated nerve gas delivery system. I mean technically it still a nerve gas, just the kind that works on cockroaches and poo poo.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

gfanikf posted:

I think it's a bit dubious, could be the opposition faking it to counter the claims of a chemical attack in Aleppo. Neither incident has produced any evidence of what was used to deliver the chemical weapon. With Syria it's generally best to assume all reports of chemical attacks are bullshit until actual solid evidence is provided.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

quote:

President Barack Obama, right, and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, front left, walk along to red carpet for a troop review during an arrival ceremony as Obama arrives at the Muqata Presidential Compound Thursday, March 21, 2013, in the West Bank town of Ramallah.

Nice beret dude. Even if it is an infamous green one it still looks kind of dumb when everyone else is dressed up so nicely. Also a little surprised about how nice those Palestinian guys' uniforms are.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm honestly surprised the Secret Service let him go to Palestine, they're paranoid dudes. Then again the former agents were really loving disappointed in whoever let W land on that carrier so maybe they knuckle under a lot more now.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wdarkk posted:

I'm honestly surprised the Secret Service let him go to Palestine, they're paranoid dudes. Then again the former agents were really loving disappointed in whoever let W land on that carrier so maybe they knuckle under a lot more now.
Yeah I mean Iraq and AfPAK Trish are pretty short and secret and secure so they have gone worse, but man going to the West Bank in the open just seems like a security nightmare and king of ulcer inducing for the planners. I mean you honestly have no clue if someone might pull a Sadat or security for the other side might be the threat.

Well someone screwed up and let the limo get the wrong fuel type, which considering how nuts they are with AF1 fuel supply is really surprising. The fact the car stopped due to it is a huge gently caress up.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I always wondered if the secret service has a lot of sway in the president's travel. I wonder how often he says gently caress you I'm going to this place.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Wasn't a shim story.

And words hurt, ya know.

Maybe it was a word attack rather than CW.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Wasn't a shim story.

And words hurt, ya know.
My mistake, you had the story about how you contributed to the death of a detainee undergoing withdrawal symptoms, much better.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

Godholio posted:

Requesting HDI's story about JSTARS vectoring F-16s on something unexpected.

Edited to remove the Shyamalan twist.

Lol my buddy vectored the two F-16s on some suspicious looking GMTI returns. Turns out it was two mules loving and a third one watching. Highlight was when the wingman said "I'm going to pee myself" and my buddy saying "copy two mules loving" over the radio.

Pilots gave us the video on SIPR and it owned. I spent the entire year looking for it again but I couldn't find it. I'd like to think it is still out there :unsmith:

:yosbutt: JSTARS is an awesome wildlife tracker and that's about it :yosbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

• Locked thread