Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If you play Tri now just don't get overly committed to your saved game or burn yourself out. You will basically be starting over with Ultimate but it won't feel exactly the same. There is a ton of extra content throughout. Maybe just play Tri now in order to get over the beginner's learning curve and then stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

No one answered this it means not using push to talk in PC games (because of the "echo chamber" effect) Use the mute toggle. If 2 people have their mics on the pad will echo each of them making them horrible sounding banshie wails. (There is a reason Nintendo doesn't actually officially support that mic for in game chat)
Hmm. That's a good point. I'd been planning on using the gamepad for a mic, but if it's not going to be very good for it I might pick up something else. Does anyone have any recommendations?

e: Also, what sounds does it put out through your headphones if you have them? Does it do game sounds or just voice? Do I need to worry about having both a left and right channel or will just an earpiece work?

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 20, 2013

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Don't forget the servers for regular Tri are going down on April 30th, so there's no more online play for it after that.

I'm sitting at 4 hours to go on my MH3U download. Pumped to bash some monsters! Anybody know how long it takes for the purchase to show up on Club Nintendo? I need those sweet 80 coins. Nevermind, it showed up. That was quick!

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 20, 2013

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

So is there a better wiki for this game in japanese or somethin cos the english wikia is still really incomplete

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Rahtas posted:

But mostly, I have one issue that I feel is my fault. I can't hit anything with the bow. I don't know how to aim it. I know how to shoot it, and I can mess with that arc shot thing / charge it up, but I tried shooting those lil tiny innocent monster things right outside the village and unless I was a mile away and using the arc shot (which would inevitable get charged cuz I'm taking time trying to aim) I can't hit anything. Arrows fly right over their head. So, I guess, mostly - how do I aim close to me with the bow?

This is from last page, but: if you hold down the R shoulder button, you will go into 'aim' mode. Once there, you can use the left stick OR the D-Pad (recommended) to finesse your aim. It'll show you the arc, and you can do it as long as you can hold the button down that charges the bow, or until you release your shot. Also, the A button with the bow drawn will do a melee-range arrow-slash attack that you can use for the really small stuff (bugs, jaggi, etc.) Finally, find a bow with a good arrow pattern (spread generally) that'll help you if your aim isn't perfect.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

ImpactVector posted:

Hmm. That's a good point. I'd been planning on using the gamepad for a mic, but if it's not going to be very good for it I might pick up something else. Does anyone have any recommendations?

e: Also, what sounds does it put out through your headphones if you have them? Does it do game sounds or just voice? Do I need to worry about having both a left and right channel or will just an earpiece work?

I've been doing game pad mic + headphones, and it works pretty well. You mostly only hear voice through headphones, but there are some sounds that play through it too (maybe item use and menus)?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

The_North posted:

I've been doing game pad mic + headphones, and it works pretty well. You mostly only hear voice through headphones, but there are some sounds that play through it too (maybe item use and menus)?
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll try that as well to start with and maybe pick up something with a mic if it seems necessary. And it sounds like something with single channel output would work too if it's just voice and menu sounds.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Is the CPP worth picking up for this game? I'm going to try to get the 3DSXL next week when it's on sale or whatever, but the CPP for it is import only and it's like $35

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is the CPP worth picking up for this game? I'm going to try to get the 3DSXL next week when it's on sale or whatever, but the CPP for it is import only and it's like $35

It's probably worth it, but the game is playable without it. I got used to fighting underwater with no CPP, and so can anyone else.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Does the game let you route all game sounds through your pad/headphones? It seems kinda ridiculous that only the the gamepad sounds/menu plips and clicks get put through to the headphones. I want to hear the actual game when I'm using headphones and voice chat! Also, the official headset is a pair of giant ear-muffling cans rather than a dinky little headset like the 360 has, so you don't even have one ear free to listen to your normal speakers.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

I play on the XL and honestly think it controls great without the CPP. I haven't tried it though, so I might be stubborn. Hunted plenty of underwater monsters without feeling like the controls were getting in my way. Might be a little more frustrating if this is your first Monster Hunter, though.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

Mr. Vile posted:

Does the game let you route all game sounds through your pad/headphones? It seems kinda ridiculous that only the the gamepad sounds/menu plips and clicks get put through to the headphones. I want to hear the actual game when I'm using headphones and voice chat! Also, the official headset is a pair of giant ear-muffling cans rather than a dinky little headset like the 360 has, so you don't even have one ear free to listen to your normal speakers.

I know you can do this with other Wii games, so it's certainly possible, but it's Capcom so I wouldn't hold your breath. I'll try tonight and see if I can get it work like that.

I'm using open headphones, so I can still hear the TV sounds. You could also use earbuds and only have one bud in.

It's also possible the game switches to all sounds through the pad if you plug in a headset vs. just headphones. I don't have a 3 ring headset to try this out, though.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

gigawhite posted:

I play on the XL and honestly think it controls great without the CPP. I haven't tried it though, so I might be stubborn. Hunted plenty of underwater monsters without feeling like the controls were getting in my way. Might be a little more frustrating if this is your first Monster Hunter, though.

I think I'm going to order it anyways. At the worst, I'm fairly certain I can find someone who will want it if I don't think it's necessary--I haven't played Monster Hunter before so I don't know yet

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So how do I add a monster to my hunter's journal on the WiiU?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

I think I'm going to order it anyways. At the worst, I'm fairly certain I can find someone who will want it if I don't think it's necessary--I haven't played Monster Hunter before so I don't know yet

That's cool. I just wouldn't want to deter anyone from getting the game because they've heard they need to import an accessory to enjoy it.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Bobnumerotres posted:

So how do I add a monster to my hunter's journal on the WiiU?

It's reverted to the original system for getting new monster biographies. You have to buy the data book from the woman in town. She sells a few of them, and each covers a small smattering of monsters.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Mr. Vile posted:

Not to get your hopes up, but it sounds like Capcom is releasing an off-screen mode patch in the next month or so, so you might get your wish. Then again, you might not.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ChibiSoma posted:

stupid sand monsters

This is a day late, but Sonic Bombs will force those sandfish assholes out of the sand for a few seconds. The quest gives you three EZ Sonic Bombs, go hog wild.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
I sunk around a hundred hours into Tri, using the Lance pretty exclusively.

I'm about 5 or so hours into 3U, and I'm falling into the same trap. The Longsword, Hammer, and Hunting Horn all look interesting; would any of these (or any other) be recommended over anything else?

I fear change.

Sarpsa
Nov 17, 2012

Mr. Vile posted:

Yes. I don't have the game myself but its probably in the sound options.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/

What exactly do I do here? Fish 9 times and put all the results?

quote:

It's reverted to the original system for getting new monster biographies. You have to buy the data book from the woman in town. She sells a few of them, and each covers a small smattering of monsters.

Well that's dumb but alright. Thanks! Do they serve any purpose besides something nice to read?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is a day late, but Sonic Bombs will force those sandfish assholes out of the sand for a few seconds. The quest gives you three EZ Sonic Bombs, go hog wild.

Does it? It's been so long since I did it in Tri I forgot.

Got my Barroth set finished! :dance: Only took something like 5 kills. Busted the head for 4 of them, went in with a GS for the tail cut. To show how much I've used a Great Sword in the past, honest to god I did not know you could block with it. Wasn't too bad. But I mostly went for draw slashes to hit the tail. Barroth was swinging around too much normally. When he toppled over, I went for a charged slash on it.

Switch Axe is kinda clunky. I'll need to go watch a tutorial or three on it. GS is closer to the Hammer than I thought it was. Dunno how useful it'd be versus faster monsters that can also fly (Rathalos, looking at you here) but I think I'll keep a GS up to date along with my Hammers and Dual Swords.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Bobnumerotres posted:

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/

What exactly do I do here? Fish 9 times and put all the results?

Send a fishing expedition to Moga Coast without any modifiers; enter the spoils horizontally in the order in which they appear in the box, in the quantities specified. If you have a O in more than one column in the results, continue to send out additional expeditions as desired, adding them in additional rows. I did 2 expeditions, with the results showing tables 6 and 10 as being possibilities (I'm sure that I'm on 10, considering the system clock time when I started my game.)

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

OpaqueEcho posted:

I sunk around a hundred hours into Tri, using the Lance pretty exclusively.

I'm about 5 or so hours into 3U, and I'm falling into the same trap. The Longsword, Hammer, and Hunting Horn all look interesting; would any of these (or any other) be recommended over anything else?

I fear change.

I mostly did lance in tri as well, then became an avid hammer user in P3rd. It's extremely satisfying to wail on a monsters face with one of those bigass hammers.

For TriU I've started giving hunting horns a try. I'm absolutely loving being able to give myself speed boost and esp.

Really, I haven't found a weapon I haven't enjoyed. If you're just trying to change things up a little, give gunlance a try, that wyvernfire feels good when you get it of just right.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I kinda miss all the features from the farm that you got in Freedom Unite, is there a way to upgrade the farm to get all that? I want an explosive mine and beehives!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Fancy Hat! posted:

I kinda miss all the features from the farm that you got in Freedom Unite, is there a way to upgrade the farm to get all that? I want an explosive mine and beehives!

You'll get a beehive eventually, but no mines.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So how is the 3DS version? I don't have a Wii U so this would be the only way I could play. I know it has no online, but I do know a couple of people who almost might get it on 3DS.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So how is the 3DS version? I don't have a Wii U so this would be the only way I could play. I know it has no online, but I do know a couple of people who almost might get it on 3DS.

Its the exact same but its SD instead of HD but its also 3D. Well the only difference is as you mention no online play.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Really glad to be playing MH again. Haven't played since Freedom Unite and my hand still hurts from the claw. Playing this on the 3DS and CPP makes it way more comfortable. Missed this one since I never had a Wii or Wii U so this is my one shot.

One question, are there any missable items in this one (outside of charms which I already fixed before I started)? I kept auto selling everything in the starter quests on accident so I am hopeful I didn't sell anything that'll screw me out of something in the long run. I only did this on the first 3 or so tutorial quests.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

OMGzKakaniz posted:

One question, are there any missable items in this one

No, every single item in this game can be obtained multiple times, with the exception of things like the boat upgrades. Nothing is missable.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Funkmaster General posted:

No, every single item in this game can be obtained multiple times, with the exception of things like the boat upgrades. Nothing is missable.

Kinda untrue because of Charm Tables. A "cursed table" can screw you out of loot.

edit: durp I'm an idiot and didn't read the full post you quoted just what you quoted. They already know this.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I just noticed something kinda funny, they took out subquests? Why did they do that? It was a cool was to get extra money and parts.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I want to make the Great Jaggi Mask because it looks incredibly silly.

Oh god I feel like I'm going to want to make every single armor piece in this game. I get it now, I get where 100+ hours go.

You mean 100s+ of hours. Tri took more than 100 from me just a couple months ago when i first started playing it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
To whoever is asking about routing game sounds through the gamepad entirely: Yes, you can do this. It's in the options when you are in game.

such hawks
Jul 28, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Does it? It's been so long since I did it in Tri I forgot.

Got my Barroth set finished! :dance: Only took something like 5 kills. Busted the head for 4 of them, went in with a GS for the tail cut. To show how much I've used a Great Sword in the past, honest to god I did not know you could block with it. Wasn't too bad. But I mostly went for draw slashes to hit the tail. Barroth was swinging around too much normally. When he toppled over, I went for a charged slash on it.

Switch Axe is kinda clunky. I'll need to go watch a tutorial or three on it. GS is closer to the Hammer than I thought it was. Dunno how useful it'd be versus faster monsters that can also fly (Rathalos, looking at you here) but I think I'll keep a GS up to date along with my Hammers and Dual Swords.

I mainly used the GS all the way through Freedom Unite - I could kill Rathalos quicker than anybody I played with. The trick is to stand under it when it does its 3 fireball shots from the air, and start charging around the end of that. When it descends it'll be right in line for a full charge hit. Running up to its tail when it finishes a dive and charging for maybe 2 charges and letting it go right on its head is also very satisfying :) . With faster monsters it becomes a game of knowing their patterns, and charging up where you know they'll be, and doing a lot of run in -> unsheathe on a vulnerable location -> run out. You could sometimes block monster roars with it too - which was handy in a pinch.

This time around I'll be going the opposite way - try some gunning! I have no idea whether heavy or light bowgun though. The new bow looks good too, but in MHFU it was very slow to clear with, has it sped up much?

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Emalde posted:

To whoever is asking about routing game sounds through the gamepad entirely: Yes, you can do this. It's in the options when you are in game.

:toot: Excellent! Thanks for the replies everyone, this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

As of last week I was planning on only getting the 3DS version, but Monday afternoon I decided to go ahead and throw down for the Wii U one as well in case the game turns out to be hard to find down the road when I eventually get a Wii U. Tuesday afternoon~evening I ran down the 3DS battery playing the game. At this very moment I am now setting up my brand new Wii U. :negative:

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Question -- does the basic 8GB Wii U bundle come with the "pro" controller (the one that looks exactly like a 360 controller), or only the gamepad with the screen on it?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

xK1 posted:

As of last week I was planning on only getting the 3DS version, but Monday afternoon I decided to go ahead and throw down for the Wii U one as well in case the game turns out to be hard to find down the road when I eventually get a Wii U. Tuesday afternoon~evening I ran down the 3DS battery playing the game. At this very moment I am now setting up my brand new Wii U. :negative:

One of us, one of us!

Gobul might be my least favorite fight in the game. He's fat as all hell so it's hard to get out of his way, you usually fight him in murky weed-infested water so he's hard to see, and your attacks are gonna bounce off of a good portion of him early on.

But hey, I cracked his light and got a Lantern outta the deal. Just gotta make sure not to waste it. I really don't want to fight those things any more than absolutely necessary for weapons. Some monsters I'll fight repeatedly for gear. Gobul is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

s1ppycup posted:

Question -- does the basic 8GB Wii U bundle come with the "pro" controller (the one that looks exactly like a 360 controller), or only the gamepad with the screen on it?

Only the ZombiU bundle comes with the Pro controller. The 8 and 32GB standard boxes include only the Gamepad.

• Locked thread