Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Eren will get a powerup someday. It will just be unorthodox as hell. And probably won't resolve anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
If anything, it will be an indirect one, like learning to not fight like an idiot.

Seriously, you don't have to throw haymakers all the time...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cthulhuchan posted:

If anything, it will be an indirect one, like learning to not fight like an idiot.

I don't know, if you looked like Eren's Titan form I think you might be required to only throw haymakers and stomp kicks. When he transforms it also probably sounds like electric guitars.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Cthulhuchan posted:

It's weird how Eren loses all his fighting skills in giant form. The female giant mimicking Annie's fighting style was my favorite 'tip off' that I don't think anyone here got until after the reveal.

Well, besides the most recent one, in which their goddamn faces were similar.

I guess we've gotten so used to manga where characters all look the same.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Facial similarities for the armored titan-Reiner were brought up a long time ago, though I don't recall whether they were specifically mentioned in this thread. As for Bertholdt, I dunno. I never noticed it to be honest but the guy not having hair or skin does kinda throw things off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thoren posted:

It's weird how Eren loses all his fighting skills in giant form.

Less so when you remember that he has to adjust to being in a completely different body that keeps trying to eat his mind. That would throw anyone off on their first few goes, and his human-Titan enemies are way more experienced.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Thoren posted:

It's weird how Eren loses all his fighting skills in giant form.

If you look back you'll notice that each titan seems to have an underlying aspect that they embody which determines their external appearance. In the case of Eren, he seems to be "The Titan of Rage" so to speak, thus it makes sense that he loses his poo poo and goes crazy when in titan form.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Such as this one.

it's just that it's not helping much, is the thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Only against other human-titans. Against regular titans he's pretty drat effective.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, but the problem is the human titans. The scouting legion can take on regular titans just fine, albeit with massive casualties. If Eren can't fight the human titans and the scouting legion can't fight them either, that leaves humanity sort of screwed.

Eren's only unique accomplishment has been to carry a giant rock.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eren's only unique accomplishment has been to carry a giant rock.

Maybe they should provide Eren with a titan-scale club, or hammer?
Brute force is much more effective with some leverage.

They could even give him a cannon. Cannons have been said to one-shot even powerful titans. While the drawback is they're very difficult to aim, Eren could fire one at point blank.

There hasn't been a lot of acknowledgement that Eren isn't just transforming into a giant monster; he's transforming into a giant human.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

He could have a full arsenal. There are engineering considerations and some trial-and-error might be required, but "make a really big weapon" is both a great idea and not really that hard for a civilization that has an army squad flying around on personal C02 jetpacks.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

He could have a full arsenal. There are engineering considerations and some trial-and-error might be required, but "make a really big weapon" is both a great idea and not really that hard for a civilization that has an army squad flying around on personal C02 jetpacks.

True but their hardest known metal can't cut the armoured flesh. Any armament has to compete with that.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

True but their hardest known metal can't cut the armoured flesh. Any armament has to compete with that.

Who said anything about cutting? Hammers are for smashing/crushing :black101:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Schwarzwald posted:

They could even give him a cannon. Cannons have been said to one-shot even powerful titans. While the drawback is they're very difficult to aim, Eren could fire one at point blank.

There hasn't been a lot of acknowledgement that Eren isn't just transforming into a giant monster; he's transforming into a giant human.

A cannon would be awesome, but since this is a manga, I would bet in a giant sword.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

Not really. Apart from the trouble of casting stuff in the first place (which irl would be a massive problem, though they could handwave it), you've then got to get it to Eren so he can use it. OK if it's a planned fight, but in a case like this, useless. It would be cool to see him pull up a tree and use that, though.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

It strikes me as the best way to subdue the armored titan is to immobilize it and then bind it so it can't move; it doesn't seem to be significantly stronger than other titans, and (I assume) titan bodies have the same general physical muscle structure making certain movements require certain muscles. I think they should make Eren a titan size bolas:

A fairly simple thing to produce, which can be carried compactly or even put together on the fly from it's component parts within a few minutes, and used to hunt large game by tying up their legs to disable them. Upscaling it to work against something as big as a titan without snapping from the impact would require some really strong cabling but it seems practical enough for a group on horseback to bring along. Certainly easier to move around than a giant sword or a cannon which would require a wagon at the least. The obvious downside is whether distributed or not it'd weigh down the horses more, which puts you at risk of being snapped up by regular swarms of titans on an open field.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I was thinking for armored titans you could have a giant ice pick, or pickaxe.

However, like the scouting legion's box-cutter swords, they probably would last more than one or two swings.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 19, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, guys, big hammer solves all problems. Especially since titan flesh is actually quite fragile.

I just wanna see Eren go full ogre and belt someone with a tree.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mo_Steel posted:

It strikes me as the best way to subdue the armored titan is to immobilize it and then bind it so it can't move; it doesn't seem to be significantly stronger than other titans, and (I assume) titan bodies have the same general physical muscle structure making certain movements require certain muscles. I think they should make Eren a titan size bolas:

A fairly simple thing to produce, which can be carried compactly or even put together on the fly from it's component parts within a few minutes, and used to hunt large game by tying up their legs to disable them. Upscaling it to work against something as big as a titan without snapping from the impact would require some really strong cabling but it seems practical enough for a group on horseback to bring along. Certainly easier to move around than a giant sword or a cannon which would require a wagon at the least. The obvious downside is whether distributed or not it'd weigh down the horses more, which puts you at risk of being snapped up by regular swarms of titans on an open field.

Except he can do what Annie did in her first titan appearance and dissolve his titian form to escape.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Clearly they need to make Eren some titan-sized 3D gear.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

GoatLord posted:

Clearly they need to make Eren some titan-sized 3D gear.

That would work too due to the fact Titans are very light and agile despite their size.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This civilization needs to take some tips from the one in Break Blade.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

They just need to give Eren a Progressive Knife and some body armor.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Titan Eren with a hammer would be brutal as hell.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
He just needs to figure out how to do the crystallization thing on his fists.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Such as this one.

also jaw.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eren needs a titan-sized football helmet

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Melt down a cannon and make some very large brass knuckles.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
How the hell is he supposed to carry all of this when he isn't a Titan?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doublehex posted:

I'm sure the Scouting Legion can afford to hire a caddy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Doublehex posted:

Ymir will be his squire.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm sure the Scouting Legion can afford to hire a caddy.

The way things are going they should be praising the stars if there is even a Scouting Legion at the end of this arc.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Doublehex posted:

The way things are going they should be praising the stars if there is even a Scouting Legion at the end of this arc.

The Scouting Duo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doublehex posted:

and with all the cash they save on wages they could hire two caddies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I am really, really hoping that the whole motive for killing off humanity doesn't end up being some sort of philosophical thing along the lines of "humans will always do war and violence/destroy the environment, so it's better if there are no humans at all!" I think that I would almost prefer some sort of pure evil motive to that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'd prefer the "create a common enemy" idea that was mentioned like a year ago. It's not super orginal either but it's a lot better.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I wouldn't mind a gray area. Having the human-titans blend into humanity so well almost makes you feel pity for them. Their perception of humanity is clearly hosed, too. At the same time though, the poo poo they did is unforgivable. The foreshadowing looks like this might apply to humanity as well. It's kind of like how even if a murderer does amazing things after the fact, he or she will always be a stain upon the earth. in AOTG the question really is: Who's the stain and who is the janitor?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I am really, really hoping that the whole motive for killing off humanity doesn't end up being some sort of philosophical thing along the lines of "humans will always do war and violence/destroy the environment, so it's better if there are no humans at all!" I think that I would almost prefer some sort of pure evil motive to that.

Thanks to the titans, humans aren't at war with other humans, they don't expand, and they don't ruin the environment. That sort of moral wouldn't make any sense at all, leaving it a serious contender for an anime filler ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Before the arrival of the sasquatch titan and his apparent ability to transform living humans into titans against their will and a seeming lack of any allegiance to the Human-Titans, I was expecting the twist to be that the Walled civilization wasn't the last of humanity, but rather some holdout of those actually responsible for humanity's decline, and there was still a whole world of humans out there beyond the wall using the Titans to make war on them because THEY WERE THE REAL VILLAINS ALL ALONG.