Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not to interrupt the rape conversation, but is ESPN apparently going all out on hyping the Miami Heat winning streak? It keeps showing up on my twitter feed from Cavs fans bitching about it.

I feel a lot better having gone out of my way to not watch that channel over the last couple of weeks.
It's been their number one story of the day since...I think...nine in a row?

That said, at this point in the streak it's pretty understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not to interrupt the rape conversation, but is ESPN apparently going all out on hyping the Miami Heat winning streak? It keeps showing up on my twitter feed from Cavs fans bitching about it.

I feel a lot better having gone out of my way to not watch that channel over the last couple of weeks.

It's the second longest streak in NBA history. There are many better things to complain about in regards to ESPN.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

The Prisoner posted:

Yeah it was annoying when it wasn't even as long as the Clippers' streak from earlier this season but now that it's as long as it is it's hard to blame them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It beats talking about Tebow for eight hours a day I guess.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
If you want to talk about ESPN not talking about the Blackhawks' streak (or SI overplaying it to a ludicrous proportion) then we're cookin' with gas.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Prisoner posted:

If you want to talk about ESPN not talking about the Blackhawks' streak (or SI overplaying it to a ludicrous proportion) then we're cookin' with gas.

Right, we would be.

I don't fault them for covering it, I think I moreso fault them for the way it's presumably being covered.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I still think the concept of live daily Sportscenter is dumb because the sports world does not have enough daily news to cover an 8 hour block, which leads to things like endless Heat talk.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

FuzzySkinner posted:

Right, we would be.

I don't fault them for covering it, I think I moreso fault them for the way it's presumably being covered.

Well maybe you should actually see the coverage or find more about it than some upset Cavs fans on twitter before finding fault with it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Prisoner posted:

There are ties in the NHL, they were right to downplay it. :colbert:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Nuggets picked the absolute worst time to go on a 13-game winning streak.

Also, SI says Rick Reilly is staying with ESPN. That's puzzling.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

The Nuggets picked the absolute worst time to go on a 13-game winning streak.

Also, SI says Rick Reilly is staying with ESPN. That's puzzling.

If Rick Reilly took a gigantic pay cut it makes sense.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I still think the concept of live daily Sportscenter is dumb because the sports world does not have enough daily news to cover an 8 hour block, which leads to things like endless Heat talk.

There is 100% absolutely enough sports and sports news around the world to fill 8 hours of coverage and analysis every single day of the year.

The problem is there are not like ~THREE TOP STORIES~ worth covering for 6 of them, and that's where ESPN loses me.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The Prisoner posted:

It's been their number one story of the day since...I think...nine in a row?

Factor in that the Cavs blew a 27 point lead to lose to the Heat last night, it can be pretty accurately summed up as "they're mad."

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Toffile posted:

There are ties loser points in the NHL, they were right to downplay it. :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I feel like Bill Simmons' entire career has been leading up to this moment.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My three main thoughts from this so far: A) This is definitely the type of environment Simmons operates best at. B) Jalen Rose owns C) Jalen Rose really owns

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I want that Detroit vs. Everybody shirt Rose is wearing. I just don't wanna have to pay some 40+ bucks to do so.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Agreed, they should only talk about legitimately notable sports accomplishments when they involve teams you like.

They are, at least ostensibly, a sports news station. A team winning a historically notable number of games in a row is a fairly big sports story. And it least in regards to the last couple games, they kept the streak alive in extremely dramatic and entertaining fashion.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

uublog posted:

Rape is an actual thing that happens to people and it is horribly cruel and violent. Why the gently caress should anyone be literally equating something to the worst experience in a lot of people's lives, just as a dumb loving joke?

i don't know if this was directed at me but i was agreeing with the people who say don't use that word because there are tons of other words to use instead and that we should keep the word rape for actual rape

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In reguards to all the talk about Leuke, he's clearly a piece of poo poo and should probably be in jail, but that's the failing of the legal system, and I don't think the Tampa Bay Rays or whoever chooses to employ him have any obligation to right that injustice.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

General Dog posted:

In reguards to all the talk about Leuke, he's clearly a piece of poo poo and should probably be in jail, but that's the failing of the legal system, and I don't think the Tampa Bay Rays or whoever chooses to employ him have any obligation to right that injustice.

Seattle's ownership came very close to firing Jack Z over lying to them about the disposition of Lueke's case (in the end Jack managed to pin it on the pro scouting director and escaped with his own job, at the cost of one of his oldest friends), and that would have deprived us of several years of hilarity, so I agree.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Agreed, they should only talk about legitimately notable sports accomplishments when they involve teams you like.

They are, at least ostensibly, a sports news station. A team winning a historically notable number of games in a row is a fairly big sports story. And it least in regards to the last couple games, they kept the streak alive in extremely dramatic and entertaining fashion.

Not what I was arguing about.

I think it warrants coverage, but I don't think so much that it detracts from covering other events/teams.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i don't know if this was directed at me but i was agreeing with the people who say don't use that word because there are tons of other words to use instead and that we should keep the word rape for actual rape

It was less than a week ago that someone here or in the NBA thread posted an article by Woj lambasting the twitter-verse(sphere?) for making comments about how DeAndre Jordan absolutely "murdered" Brandon Knight by dunking on him really hard - he had a particular problem with various photoshopped pictures of Knight with a tombstone and the like. The general consensus was that Woj was being an idiot for making a big deal about it. I'm not sure what the difference here is? It's very common here and elsewhere to say a team got "raped" in a trade. Is it because Piniella was on a national stage and shouldn't be using off-colour references like that where kids could hear him? Because much worse things have been said and/or typed by every poster here at one time or another.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
It feeds back into the whole rape culture concept, that we normalize and minimize rape through how we trivialize it in the media and in language.

I tend to think that may be a bit overboard, but it would be safe to say that many people would be upset by the casual comparison of a sports trade to a sexual assault. So just be considerate and use a different word. It's not very difficult.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Gendo posted:

It feeds back into the whole rape culture concept, that we normalize and minimize rape through how we trivialize it in the media and in language.

I tend to think that may be a bit overboard, but it would be safe to say that many people would be upset by the casual comparison of a sports trade to a sexual assault. So just be considerate and use a different word. It's not very difficult.

I see what you're saying, and I don't use the word myself when posting here about sports, but there seems to be a bunch of common words/phrases that we use all the time that don't get this same treatment. The example I used above about murder for one, but even more common is describing a certain guy as a "cancer" in the locker room or whatnot. Cancer is a serious issue too, and using the same rationale, shouldn't be minimized or trivialized by ascribing it to sports and athletes. Maybe it's different with cancer because there's no guilty party there? There is with murder tho.

I don't know, I think, like you said, people go a bit overboard with criticizing this stuff.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Jalen Rose owns.
Detroit Vs Everybody owns.
Jalen Rose owns.

This Grantland Live thing was fantastic.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

The B_36 posted:

I see what you're saying, and I don't use the word myself when posting here about sports, but there seems to be a bunch of common words/phrases that we use all the time that don't get this same treatment. The example I used above about murder for one, but even more common is describing a certain guy as a "cancer" in the locker room or whatnot. Cancer is a serious issue too, and using the same rationale, shouldn't be minimized or trivialized by ascribing it to sports and athletes. Maybe it's different with cancer because there's no guilty party there? There is with murder tho.

I don't know, I think, like you said, people go a bit overboard with criticizing this stuff.
I don't think you can compare any of one those things to any of one the rest. Each is unique and comes with their own set of baggage. I don't feel qualified to talk about why rape is different, but I can tell there is a very visceral and personal feeling about the term with a lot of women in particular. It's not for me to speak for why that is, but rather to consider that feeling when I choose my words.

I don't like the idea of there being "good" and "bad" words, but I do think that as a public figure you should try to put some of that same consideration into the potential impact your words can have.

There are times and places to test the boundaries of society (like comedy for instance), but Lou's job there is to break down trades, provide analysis and basically light entertainment. While I don't think he should be crucified for saying a dumb thing I hope he learns from it and chooses his words a little more wisely in the future.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

Basically with someone like Lou who's kind of a harmless dumb, old guy who isn't out to hurt anyone I'd rather the reaction be less YOU FUCKER and more hey, c'mon Lou.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

The B_36 posted:

It was less than a week ago that someone here or in the NBA thread posted an article by Woj lambasting the twitter-verse(sphere?) for making comments about how DeAndre Jordan absolutely "murdered" Brandon Knight by dunking on him really hard - he had a particular problem with various photoshopped pictures of Knight with a tombstone and the like. The general consensus was that Woj was being an idiot for making a big deal about it. I'm not sure what the difference here is? It's very common here and elsewhere to say a team got "raped" in a trade. Is it because Piniella was on a national stage and shouldn't be using off-colour references like that where kids could hear him? Because much worse things have been said and/or typed by every poster here at one time or another.

Woj's thing wasn't about word choice, it was a big stupid attack on people for having the temerity to "make fun of" Brandon Knight for giving effort and playing good defense. We were jumping on him for going back to his standby holier-than-thou schtick where he acts like basketball is Serious and Important.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Gendo posted:

Basically with someone like Lou who's kind of a harmless dumb, old guy who isn't out to hurt anyone I'd rather the reaction be less YOU FUCKER and more hey, c'mon Lou.

After 9/11 there was a big tut tutting article in the Scorecard section of SI about phrases we shouldn't use anymore like Twin Towers for David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

It's true that people joke about murder and death and terrorism and all that quite often, but if you consider the rate of reported rapes and sexual assault, on top of whatever inestimable amount goes unreported, the odds are uncomfortably high that someone you know, or someone at some large social gathering, is a survivor of them. You're probably not hanging around with any murder survivors. Knowing the full scope of the kind of trauma and triggering a dumb rape joke/metaphor/comparison could inflict, the only human thing to do is to just not be a shithead and make one, which is the easiest thing really. With cancer I suppose the frequency argument isn't really effective, but plenty of cancer patients/survivors use levity to help deal with their struggles (Tig Notaro exhibit A); that is categorically not true for survivors of rape/sexual assault. Like Gendo said, each of these categories of horrible things that happen are unique and have their own sets of baggage, but in the case of rape/sexual assault the damage that can be done is completely obvious to anyone who spends more than a minute researching the topic. It's stupidly easy to just respect that and to help people feel safe around you, so easy that if you choose not to you're pretty much actively deciding to be a prick.

As far as using the word "rape" with regards to sports trades/victories, there are a million and a half words you can use to convey that someone or some team got destroyed. If someone chooses that particular one out of a sea of possibilities it's blindingly obvious they're doing it to be edgy, and are therefore a total shithead.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Can we just use less violent sexual imagery and say somebody got boned in a trade?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

General Dog posted:

Can we just use less violent sexual imagery and say somebody got boned in a trade?

What's wrong with fleeced? I love a good fleecin'

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Think of all the poor people who received a snuggie for Christmas you heartless bastard.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Offensive to sheep.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What about "hornswaggled"?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crazy Ted posted:

What about "hornswaggled"?
Wrong sport.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
"cornholed"

At least then you don't have to fall back on the 4th definition to defend your word choice

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Bamboozled. I love me a good bamboozlin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

The 2013 award for Saltiest Tears of the Year goes to Dennis Latta, a reporter who followed the University of New Mexico Lobos for 33 years and is quitting his job because they lost to Harvard.

http://deadspin.com/a-new-mexico-beat-writer-actually-quit-his-job-because-458421252

http://newmexico.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1486756

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 23, 2013