Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

PlushCow posted:

It's worth a re-read, you do pick up a lot more. And I just posted in the scifi/fantasy thread that The Way of Kings kindle ebook edition is cheap cheap CHEAP at $2.99 if you want it in a digital form https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P2WO5E/ for who knows how long.

This discount is not available for Amazon users in Australia :( The available kindle version is 11.64 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

PlushCow posted:

It's worth a re-read, you do pick up a lot more. And I just posted in the scifi/fantasy thread that The Way of Kings kindle ebook edition is cheap cheap CHEAP at $2.99 if you want it in a digital form https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P2WO5E/ for who knows how long.

Andddd purchased. I wonder if we're going to see an official date for book 2 soon.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
That's how I originally purchased WoK so no need for me to take advantage of that sale. I just have so many new things to read I don't know where I'll fit this re-read in, I'm the type of person who can only read one book at a time as well

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

toanoradian posted:

This discount is not available for Amazon users in Australia :( The available kindle version is 11.64 here.

According to reddit, they're currently poking the UK/Ireland/Australia distributor.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I think one of the reasons it's on sale right now is because Tor is doing a reread of Way of Kings on their website. It sounds like an interesting concept, so I'll probably be following along, even though I just finished my own reread a couple of weeks ago.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MildShow posted:

I think one of the reasons it's on sale right now is because Tor is doing a reread of Way of Kings on their website. It sounds like an interesting concept, so I'll probably be following along, even though I just finished my own reread a couple of weeks ago.

It's all aimed at getting people to read (or re-read) it and then want to buy the forthcoming book 2 at full price. After book 2's out book 1 will go back to a standard paperback price to sell to whoever might have read book 2 first.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I hadn't heard that before but that is a pretty neat idea, it will be great to see how it plays out. There is something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread before that I'm sure people will freak out over, everyone remembers the three mysterious men hunting Hoid from one of the early interludes right? Well two of those men have had their identities confirmed by Sanderson, and they are Galladon from Elantris and Demoux from Mistborn. For me, something that major being in a short interlude in the first book has me really excited to see where the series goes.

Are you loving kidding me Sanderson? Once you're done the giant reread is going to take so much time. I should start now.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Man, I'm definitely going back to reread all of Sanderson's cosmere stuff before Stormlight 2 releases. Every time I go back and reread anything he writes I appreciate more and more the fact that I got in essentially on the ground floor of one of the best fantasy authors we've ever seen.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Man, I'm definitely going back to reread all of Sanderson's cosmere stuff before Stormlight 2 releases. Every time I go back and reread anything he writes I appreciate more and more the fact that I got in essentially on the ground floor of one of the best fantasy authors we've ever seen.

I recently re-read Way of Kings and it was really worth it. All the Cosmere-related stuff that I missed the first time really stood out, and a lot of the twists that caught me off guard the first time are telegraphed way way ahead of time. Even simple things like Shallan's shardblade are really obvious.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

soru posted:

I recently re-read Way of Kings and it was really worth it. All the Cosmere-related stuff that I missed the first time really stood out, and a lot of the twists that caught me off guard the first time are telegraphed way way ahead of time. Even simple things like Shallan's shardblade are really obvious.

That's actually the one thing I picked up the first time through, rather early on. Now, the other stuff, not so much but granted, the only Sanderson I've read (and loved) has been his Mistborn stuff.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

thecallahan posted:

That's actually the one thing I picked up the first time through, rather early on. Now, the other stuff, not so much but granted, the only Sanderson I've read (and loved) has been his Mistborn stuff.

Yeah, I guessed that one super early. I guess he wanted to give us an easy one to make us feel smart.

Also, Wit's entire conversation to Dalinar before he leaves. Holy poo poo, I don't know how that one went by without me noticing it the first time.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Do we have any idea if Subterranean Press will be doing Way of Kings releases? I'd really love to get in the ground floor of the series as I'm wishing I knew of the place when Abercrombie's stuff was first coming out (mainly because I really dig the trilogy covers)

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Tunicate posted:

So, I was browsing the official forums and found an interesting tidbit.

Apparently Taravangian used the Old Magic, and his intelligence is randomized each day. Sometimes he's an idiot, sometimes he's a total mastermind. He apparently uses math puzzles to test his own intelligence each morning, and has his guards keep him away from any important decisions if it's one of his bad days.

Weeeeeeeeird.
Haha that owns. Sanderson has cool ideas.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

thecallahan posted:

Do we have any idea if Subterranean Press will be doing Way of Kings releases? I'd really love to get in the ground floor of the series as I'm wishing I knew of the place when Abercrombie's stuff was first coming out (mainly because I really dig the trilogy covers)

No idea, but if you sign up for their newsletters, they'd say in there if it ever happens.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

thecallahan posted:

i think it would depend upon his publishing deal with TOR(?) and how much leeway the contract gives him in reprinting the series

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Just finished WoK, and we really need a book version of :tviv:. So many "Holy poo poo" moments.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

soru posted:

Even simple things like Shallan's shardblade are really obvious.

Wait, if I'm recalling correctly she never fully summons it, right? I think at one point she does the "outstretched hand" gesture unconsciously and then kinda realizes what she's doing and stops.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Edmond Dantes posted:

Wait, if I'm recalling correctly she never fully summons it, right? I think at one point she does the "outstretched hand" gesture unconsciously and then kinda realizes what she's doing and stops.

IIRC she tries to do that twice, the other time she even starts counting heartbeats.

Yay
Aug 4, 2007
As I just finished rereading it yesterday: yes, both spoilers above are correct.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

api call girl posted:

IIRC she tries to do that twice, the other time she even starts counting heartbeats.

:stare:

I've never been good about picking up clues like this, but drat. Maybe I should consider a re-read.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

IMlemon posted:

:stare:

I've never been good about picking up clues like this, but drat. Maybe I should consider a re-read.

This book is definitely worth a re-read. I'm already picking up on things I missed the first time through.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

one theory that I ran across on the coppermind wiki that i hadn't considered on subsequent is regarding Kaladin's time in Amaram's army

End of book/kaladin backstory spoilers
specifically that the shardbearer he kills is Shallan's eldest brother who went missing before the events of the book. Though its never stated he had a shard/shardplate

not sure what the evidence is aside from circumstance

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Brandon Sanderson just tweeted this:

Which means his next villain looks like this:

I, for one, find this terrifying.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
More likely this:

since it's more recent and he has a villain-goatee.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

I wonder if he will write Rothfuss in as well at some point...

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

More likely this:

since it's more recent and he has a villain-goatee.

What did he do to himself he no longer looks like a goon lord.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Fallorn posted:

What did he do to himself he no longer looks like a goon lord.

He's embraced his inner Walter Sobchak.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010

Troll Bridgington posted:

I wonder if he will write Rothfuss in as well at some point...

The person who raped/abused Jasnah maybe?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

spootime posted:

The person who raped/abused Jasnah maybe?

wait what? when?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

treeboy posted:

wait what? when?

She says something to Shallan after soulcasting the thieves in the alley and killing them to the affect that "men like that deserve to die after what they did," heavily implying someone did something to hurt her in the past.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Narmi posted:

She says something to Shallan after soulcasting the thieves in the alley and killing them to the affect that "men like that deserve to die after what they did," heavily implying someone did something to hurt her in the past.

oh i figured it was just a reference to the fact that she'd said something earlier (like a page or two) regarding reports that a dozen women had been murdered/raped in that very area by a gang of men. I guess it makes sense but i'd never really read too much into that.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010

treeboy posted:

oh i figured it was just a reference to the fact that she'd said something earlier (like a page or two) regarding reports that a dozen women had been murdered/raped in that very area by a gang of men. I guess it makes sense but i'd never really read too much into that.

Yeah its a little throwaway line by Shallan about "wondering who had hurt her like that in the past" or something like that. Didn't catch it till my second reread.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a reddit AMA with Sanderson coming up on the 15th. Does anyone have good questions about the series?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tunicate posted:

There's a reddit AMA with Sanderson coming up on the 15th. Does anyone have good questions about the series?

Well one, but it's pretty spoiler-y:

Since travel to and from the Cognitive Realm is apparently going to be a major thing in Stormlight Archive going forward, does this mean we're in for another spiritual appearance from everyone's favorite Survivor of Hathshin?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm also reading The Way of Kings again and there's also a lot of clues about Kaladin taking stormlight from spheres. And using the energy and such. His spheres losing infused light and the arrows avoiding him when he's at the front of the bridge run.

Also, we should ask what magic comes from Odium or Cultivation. And are the Parshendi the voidbringers?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Fezz posted:

I'm also reading The Way of Kings again and there's also a lot of clues about Kaladin taking stormlight from spheres. And using the energy and such. His spheres losing infused light and the arrows avoiding him when he's at the front of the bridge run.

Clues like the text explicitly saying it?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Ithaqua posted:

Clues like the text explicitly saying it?

Well before he knows what's happening and they come out and say it.

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well one, but it's pretty spoiler-y:
another spiritual appearance from everyone's favorite Survivor of Hathshin?

Where does this happen?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PastaSky posted:

Where does this happen?

Two or three times in HoA. Talking to Spook for reals after he got unspiked, and I think inspiring TenSoon.

Long story short, he half-grabbed Preservation when Leras bought the farm, and was able to give a bit of advice to a few living characters before Vin took up the power entirely.

From Sanderson's reddit account, it seems like Kelsier was preventing Bad poo poo from happening by doing that.

quote:

No, Roshar does not have the same problem. There are some differences going on. (One reason being that the spren are far more extensive on Roshar, and provide something of a "release valve." The Seons and the Skaze on Sel are not numerous enough to fulfill a similar function. Though, of course, that's only one part of the puzzle. Raw power is dangerous.

It's one reason everyone should be thankful Kelsier was around on Scadrial.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And considering Demoux was able to somehow make his way there with the rest of the Hoid-Hunting Party, it's not completely out of the question :tinfoil: