Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You'll probably want to spell it right on your resume though.

Touché.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Nebulis01 posted:

I have the MCITP:EA and automagically obtained the MCSA2008 cert which i then upgraded to MCSA2012 and am sitting for the final test 70-414 for MCSE2012 on Friday.

Alright cool, I guess they're just poo poo at updating their site or something.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SaltLick posted:

That is pretty much the purpose of those certs. Anything that says 2 years of experience of help desk is bullshit. Get A+ and apply. Hell you could probably put in your résumé "persuing A+ certification" and get hired.

Here's the typical job posting in my area:

https://jobs-intellidyne.icims.com/jobs/1870/job?mode=job&iis=Indeed&iisn=Indeed.com

quote:

Qualifications
Required Qualifications & Education:
•Bachelor’s Degree is required or 5 years of Specialized Experience (IT Tier II support with basic networking)
•CompTia A+, Network+, or Security+ required. Or must possess within 6 months of date of hire.
•Minimum of 5 years of enterprise experience in commercial or government environment.
•Familiar with all standard MS Office software systems.
•Possess knowledge of workstation administration, troubleshooting, and management including imaging.
•Basic network support experience to include account administration in active directory environment.

Should I be saying "screw it" and send my resume to such jobs anyway?

forever gold fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 14, 2013

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yes, apply for any jobs because they may need someone really badly and find that you're a good fit and like you and you sure can't find this out by not applying.

AntennaGeek
May 30, 2011

forever gold posted:

Should I be saying "screw it" and send my resume to such jobs anyway?

Yes. Don't screen yourself out of jobs like that, let the hiring manager do that. You never know, they may decide you're a good fit and then voila, new job.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Well after 12 long years in IT, I'm actually going to get some certs this year! :woop:

The boss has put "get certified" as one of my goals this year, and he's put me up for some targets:

Linux+
MCSE: Communication
Certified Sonicwall Security Admin (CSSA)

Any hints or tips for these baddies? I've got Linux+ in the bag (5+ years RedHat/Debian experience). I'm wondering a little about the CSSA and a LOT about the MCSE.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Passed Sec+ with 869 out of 900. Unfortunately it's $284 now. :negative:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Well after 12 long years in IT, I'm actually going to get some certs this year! :woop:

The boss has put "get certified" as one of my goals this year, and he's put me up for some targets:

Linux+
MCSE: Communication
Certified Sonicwall Security Admin (CSSA)

Any hints or tips for these baddies? I've got Linux+ in the bag (5+ years RedHat/Debian experience). I'm wondering a little about the CSSA and a LOT about the MCSE.

I got my Websense Gateway 101 Cert, painfully easy but quite fun! You can remote into pre-setup labs for studying.

If its anything like a Firewall Cert...

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

penga86 posted:

Good luck. I'm sitting the 640 tomorrow :ohdear:

Well i failed with a 570 score. I feel like a moron. Guess I'll brush up on certificates because I got killed on those questions.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

penga86 posted:

Well i failed with a 570 score. I feel like a moron. Guess I'll brush up on certificates because I got killed on those questions.

Suck :( Don't take it too bad atleast you know where your weakness is and can brush up. I can tell you that certificates and ADRMS were a huge portion of 70-414. I managed to just pass it (790/1000) today.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

exethan posted:

Passed Sec+ with 869 out of 900. Unfortunately it's $284 now. :negative:

Holy crap when did this happen. Would it be worthwhile to just save an extra $200 and get CEH instead of S+?

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007
Are there any student discounts for the Microsoft exams anymore? My bookmarks are no longer working, and through Dreamspark they are not showing up anywhere.

How about any student discounts for CompTIA certs?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Science posted:

Holy crap when did this happen. Would it be worthwhile to just save an extra $200 and get CEH instead of S+?

A lot of IT related Department of Defense / military / military contractor jobs require Sec+ or equivalent cert now so they're gouging away.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

foundtomorrow posted:

Are there any student discounts for the Microsoft exams anymore? My bookmarks are no longer working, and through Dreamspark they are not showing up anywhere.

How about any student discounts for CompTIA certs?

If you do them through prometric, you can choose Microsoft student exams to schedule. They are 83 dollars.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!
I have a question concerning the A+. I'm looking to getting both of my A+/N+ in the next few weeks to help me get into an entry level IT job and to pad up my resume.

Is there any difference in taking either the 220-701/220-702 series or the 220-801/220-802 to certify for the A+? The wordage on the CompTia website leads me to believe that taking either series of exams results in the same certification, but I'd like to clear it by the thread first before I sign up.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Senor Science posted:

I have a question concerning the A+. I'm looking to getting both of my A+/N+ in the next few weeks to help me get into an entry level IT job and to pad up my resume.

Is there any difference in taking either the 220-701/220-702 series or the 220-801/220-802 to certify for the A+? The wordage on the CompTia website leads me to believe that taking either series of exams results in the same certification, but I'd like to clear it by the thread first before I sign up.

The test version doesn't matter, but the newer version has a revised syllabus and a few simulations.

lazypeterson
Mar 7, 2008
I'm looking to get A+ certified in about a month and I was wondering if the CompTIA/Sybex books would be beneficial, or if it'd be a waste of money when there seems to be so much free info available online. The practice exam portion of the link on the OP thread is currently down, does anyone have any links to other practice exams?

As far as studying, is my best approach to be finding a practice exam and studying the subject matter for questions I'm not sure about? The CompTIA book is 1000+ pages and judging from everything I've read, reading the entire manual for this exam is probably going overboard.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
Man I really hope I pass the 70-640 when I take it again. I had to reschedule my retake exam twice due to work scheduling ($35 each time to reschedule). Add in the cost of having to take it twice, this is starting to get mighty expensive due to me being unable to pass on my first go around.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

forever gold posted:

The test version doesn't matter, but the newer version has a revised syllabus and a few simulations.

I took the newer tests this January and the cert they gave me was A+ ce which expires eventually, I'm not sure which you get if you pass the older versions. If you don't remember old hardware (ISA/PCI etc) you'd probably be better off taking the new stuff.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lazypeterson posted:

I'm looking to get A+ certified in about a month and I was wondering if the CompTIA/Sybex books would be beneficial, or if it'd be a waste of money when there seems to be so much free info available online. The practice exam portion of the link on the OP thread is currently down, does anyone have any links to other practice exams?

As far as studying, is my best approach to be finding a practice exam and studying the subject matter for questions I'm not sure about? The CompTIA book is 1000+ pages and judging from everything I've read, reading the entire manual for this exam is probably going overboard.

Depends on your familiarity with the material. I didn't know much about computers and I found reading one of those thick books (the Sybex one) to be illuminating. I hear the Michael Myers book is less dry though. That said, I bet you can absorb the material just through the web and the Professor Messer videos. Prof Messer even has a great deal of practice questions on his website compiled over the last few years that are quite similar to the ones on the test.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

forever gold posted:

Depends on your familiarity with the material. I didn't know much about computers and I found reading one of those thick books (the Sybex one) to be illuminating. I hear the Michael Myers book is less dry though. That said, I bet you can absorb the material just through the web and the Professor Messer videos. Prof Messer even has a great deal of practice questions on his website compiled over the last few years that are quite similar to the ones on the test.

I did next to no preparing for it after just kind of generally looking over the subjects, the one thing I wasn't expecting is some of the questions were not at all related to technical things but rather chain of custody for evidence or chain of command stuff for people problems, although the correct answer basically screams PICK ME if you take the time to read it slowly.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!

forever gold posted:

Thank you for the clarification.

If anyone is studying for the A+, I found this set of flashcards to be very helpful in memorizing port numbers and the like.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I finally passed the 70-640 after months of stalling and telling everyone I was taking it "soon". Those certificate questions are absolutely killer, and I felt like they comprised way more than 20% of the exam(or maybe they just stuck out for me more than others). This is a huge weight off my shoulders as I can now relax for spring and get my A+ and N+ out of the way before moving on to 70-642.

That's 1 certification down out of 5.

A+
N+
70-640
70-642
Windows 7

penga86 posted:

Man I really hope I pass the 70-640 when I take it again. I had to reschedule my retake exam twice due to work scheduling ($35 each time to reschedule). Add in the cost of having to take it twice, this is starting to get mighty expensive due to me being unable to pass on my first go around.

Hey man, you'll get it next time. That's crazy they charge you money to reschedule a exam though.

For about 2 weeks, I ended up doing nothing but reading technet articles and doing heavy lab work with CS, and even with all of that, it was the lowest part of my test.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well this new job has a pretty nice perk. They want me to get (min 1 cert/year), but preferably 3 or 4. I'm going to be working on various teams for the first 6 months so I can get an understanding of how each "team" works and the responsibility of the department/team. After which it is straight to VMware/storage/network. The good part is they pay for the cert and give you a nice bonus if you hit the goal of 3 certs a year. They pay for the books and training

The certs I am thinking about doing are;

VCAP-DCA, AutoDeploy and image building tripped me up I really should have just moved on and probably would have passed fine(taking it after a week in vegas probably wasn't the smartest thing in retrospect), got a 287... However my exam is on the 5th so I will probably get this prior to my hire date.
VCAP-DCA View, as I will be working quite a bit I am told with this product.
As well as the Windows 411 exam.

I would really, really, like to go for the DCD at VMworld, when I spoke to 1010101 about it, it seems like a fun exam. However I feel I should branch out a bit more into something else.

So, I am looking into CCNA-Datacenter, or RHCSA.

I like the objectives of the CCNA-Datacenter and think I could learn some best practice networking skills, however the RHCSA, while they don't have many unix customers in need of support they are growing, I feel it would be more fun and teach me a lot more.

Suggestions?

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Corvettefisher posted:

[...]After which it is straight to VMware/storage/network.[..]

So, I am looking into CCNA-Datacenter, or RHCSA.

I like the objectives of the CCNA-Datacenter and think I could learn some best practice networking skills, however the RHCSA, while they don't have many unix customers in need of support they are growing, I feel it would be more fun and teach me a lot more.

Suggestions?

As a networker, I would say: go for that CCNA-DC. The workings of the network (storage or data) is integral to the working of your virtual environment. It will help you diagnose problems faster and help you speak the lingo with your networking team.

Since you seem to be compiling a list, how about some storage certs?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Jelmylicious posted:

As a networker, I would say: go for that CCNA-DC. The workings of the network (storage or data) is integral to the working of your virtual environment. It will help you diagnose problems faster and help you speak the lingo with your networking team.

Since you seem to be compiling a list, how about some storage certs?

Already have the EMCISA, but the place I am going isn't an EMC reseller. Nettapp ain't going to happen in my area, I do hear they work a lot with 3Par.

I know a good amount of networking already, my current job is a huge Cisco Partner. I think I need to look up what sets the DC different from the CCNA.

Oh wait I never re-certified for the new EMC E10-001 ISM v2 Exam, I should probably just knock that out.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 20, 2013

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
CCNA datacenter focuses on Nexus, UCS and to a lesser degree (probably none) ACE. You probably won't have to learn frame relay and I'm guessing it won't go too deep into routing protocols. If the exams are anything like the ones for the CCNP datacenter then it'll probably be pretty easy to get it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What do you study for EMCISA? I don't even see books specifically geared for it, is it just the Information Storage and Management book? I guess I expected there to be more, that seemed pretty high level, I dunno.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I was just digging for a trustworthy source because our lab assistant was dubious when I mentioned the upcoming change, but I basically I found nothing but a chain of hearsay that ends at "imakenews.com". Not that there couldn't be a leak or something, but an element of doubt has definitely crept into my mind here as far as that specific timetable.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

penga86 posted:

I know that feel. Failed on those concepts as well. To be fair out of all the non-core-active directory features that are in that test certificates are a legit core function, ADRMS is bullshit filler and Federated services in the middle.

Get in those VMs and run the examples.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What do you study for EMCISA? I don't even see books specifically geared for it, is it just the Information Storage and Management book? I guess I expected there to be more, that seemed pretty high level, I dunno.

You study for how various SAN stuff works, it is actually pretty cool stuff if you want detailed insight on how things work.
http://www.amazon.com/Information-Storage-Management-Virtualized-Environments/dp/1118094832/

Covers how FC vs. IP base traffic work, how raid levels affect reads and writes, data replication and protection, how data is moved accessed, etc etc.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
So, I'm signed up for RH255 Red Hat System Administration III with RHCSA and RHCE Exams. I've been a linux sysadmin for a while, but reading through a RHCE prep book suggests they'll be asking lots of inane stuff (what does this flag do?). What should I expect from the class & exam(s)?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Scheduled my Cisco 350-001 (CCIE R&S Written Exam) today for the end of May, so we'll see how this goes.

Anyone taken / passed the written within the last 6mths or so?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hey emcisa, I'll be working on that soon with the yotj.

What kinda stinks for me is if those new CCNA changes are coming, I need to finish my CCNA off while doing my emcsa and then emcisa. Oh well, guess its time to go see a doctor about my ADD and power through it with the power of :catdrugs:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Corvettefisher posted:

You study for how various SAN stuff works, it is actually pretty cool stuff if you want detailed insight on how things work.
http://www.amazon.com/Information-Storage-Management-Virtualized-Environments/dp/1118094832/

Covers how FC vs. IP base traffic work, how raid levels affect reads and writes, data replication and protection, how data is moved accessed, etc etc.

Got that book from the SAN thread. Even if i'm not going to take the test, its a really good neutral book regarding storage infrastructure.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

oogs posted:

So, I'm signed up for RH255 Red Hat System Administration III with RHCSA and RHCE Exams. I've been a linux sysadmin for a while, but reading through a RHCE prep book suggests they'll be asking lots of inane stuff (what does this flag do?). What should I expect from the class & exam(s)?

Create a VirtualBox + CentOS lab at home and practice. One should be your infrastructure server with CIFS share, NFS share, iSCSI targets, a HTTP server, DNS server to resolve host names for your test lab, and a RPM repo. Install another couple VMs, take snapshots so you can roll back without re-install, and go to town.

You will need to know inane stuff because the test is mostly about time management. You can use any documentation that's included with RHEL but digging through man pages will chew up your time. You should also seriously consider NOT taking the test right after the class. I've done Linux for a long time but there's no way I could cram that weird stuff (SELinux, LUKS) into my brain that quickly - maybe you configure Apache by hand daily but it's a rarity for me. Last thing is to read the RHCE objectives carefully. On the objectives page those 5 bullet points under the Network Services section apply to ALL services so make sure you know how to do those 5 things for every service on the test.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

hackedaccount posted:

Create a VirtualBox + CentOS lab at home and practice. One should be your infrastructure server with CIFS share, NFS share, iSCSI targets, a HTTP server, DNS server to resolve host names for your test lab, and a RPM repo. Install another couple VMs, take snapshots so you can roll back without re-install, and go to town.

You will need to know inane stuff because the test is mostly about time management. You can use any documentation that's included with RHEL but digging through man pages will chew up your time. You should also seriously consider NOT taking the test right after the class. I've done Linux for a long time but there's no way I could cram that weird stuff (SELinux, LUKS) into my brain that quickly - maybe you configure Apache by hand daily but it's a rarity for me. Last thing is to read the RHCE objectives carefully. On the objectives page those 5 bullet points under the Network Services section apply to ALL services so make sure you know how to do those 5 things for every service on the test.

Thanks. I didn't realize the test had to be scheduled separately - I just figured it was day 5 of the course. The SELinux stuff will definitely require some attention on my part.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Just to be clear: You can A) Schedule it on day 5 or B) get a voucher and take it later if you want. Red Hat also offers individual exams and the voucher may or may not work for them - verify what I'm sayin with Red Hat, it's been a while.

https://www.redhat.com/training/certifications/exam-kiosk/

Edited my clarification for clarification.

hackedaccount fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 22, 2013

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Just passed A+802 by the scruff of the neck it's no joke make sure you have command line rock solid. And 801 make sure you know mobo components and wireless standards

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

I just got my A+, now I want to work towards getting CCNA. I can take some preparation classes, but it is kind of confusing. Maybe a dumb question, but what (if any) classes should I sign up for?