Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The older drm stuff needs to have rights bought for it and even stuff I've bought recently won't play. The rest of my local files aren't a problem really. Windows media player has never had a problem with iTunes files really

Ah, apparently it just doesn't support AAC.

Stupid proprietary formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Spotify does support AAC .m4a files -- the copies of Hot Fuss and Sam's Town I bought off iTunes a few years back work fine in Spotify.

.m4p files are back when Apple was doing DRM and won't play in most anything but Apple software.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
New iPhone app update out - nothing major, just better looking artist profiles and a bug fix for the radio.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
I wish they would make syncing to an iPhone easier. As it stands you can't do it with a cable for some reason (though you can with an iPod) and over WiFi/3G it's slow. Furthermore it times out after like 5 minutes and stops syncing so you can't set a bunch of things to sync and leave it. Part of me thinks this is a way for them to limit syncing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
They seem to have fixed the drag and drop issue, my life is in balance once again.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Sorry for the double post, but does anyone here use the Chromebook Spotify app? If so, does it still have the function that allows you to put music onto your iPod on it, via syncing with Spotify rather than iTunes? It seems unlikely, but I am hoping so.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Am I missing something extremely obvious or with the new update/Unlimited is it literally impossible to just listen to a single album without making it a Playlist? I can't find any way to make it stop without going on to the band's next album, which I don't like for when I'm putting on music to go to sleep to.

I also can't figure out how to get it to just play the "Spotify version" of an album when I have it in a format that the player doesn't like. Should I just remove those from my library or what? They play just fine in Winamp, but not in Spotify. :iiam:

I do hope they find a way to make Drag City happy enough to get their albums online. I don't have anywhere near to all the Will Oldham stuff I used to, and I miss it.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

precision posted:

Am I missing something extremely obvious or with the new update/Unlimited is it literally impossible to just listen to a single album without making it a Playlist? I can't find any way to make it stop without going on to the band's next album, which I don't like for when I'm putting on music to go to sleep to.

Click on the name of the album on the artist profile.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eight Is Legend posted:

Click on the name of the album on the artist profile.

That's what I was doing, and why I was so confused why that wasn't working any more!

However, as of last night (and another new update) it has fixed itself, so I have no idea what was going on there.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

silly posted:

I wish they would make syncing to an iPhone easier. As it stands you can't do it with a cable for some reason (though you can with an iPod) and over WiFi/3G it's slow. Furthermore it times out after like 5 minutes and stops syncing so you can't set a bunch of things to sync and leave it. Part of me thinks this is a way for them to limit syncing.

Let it play music while syncing and it will continue to sync. This solved that issue for me.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What happens when I follow Artists?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

89 posted:

What happens when I follow Artists?

They show up in your "Follow" tab and has your Facebook "follow" (but not "like") them if you've linked it.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

precision posted:

They show up in your "Follow" tab and has your Facebook "follow" (but not "like") them if you've linked it.

Does it inform you when there's new material by them on Spotify? That's the only reason I would want to follow a band.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sweek0 posted:

Does it inform you when there's new material by them on Spotify? That's the only reason I would want to follow a band.

I think so? I had Low's new album pop up on my Recommended page last night, which seems to have been right as it was put on Spotify.

e: Wait, it definitely does - I just remembered that the other day I got some Notifications about a ton of "new" Legendary Pink Dots albums. So yeah.

precision fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 26, 2013

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

sweek0 posted:

Yeah, it does. It sent me an email notification when some new Blut Aus Nord albums came out.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got an update for the Spotify channel on my Roku 2 just now. I opened the channel, hoping for new features, and it promptly rebooted my Roku.

Does anyone know what the update contained?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

me your dad posted:

I got an update for the Spotify channel on my Roku 2 just now. I opened the channel, hoping for new features, and it promptly rebooted my Roku.

Does anyone know what the update contained?

Hopefully it fixes its propensity to play like, 1 second of a song...pause...1 second...pause...until you unplug the Roku and plug it back in.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm thankful to have never had that problem, but I hope this update fixed it for you.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 27, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Is there a way to play a single song without it adding the entire album to your play queue? And how come sometimes it won't even let me delete songs from the queue?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MondayHotDog posted:

Is there a way to play a single song without it adding the entire album to your play queue? And how come sometimes it won't even let me delete songs from the queue?

This is the default/only behavior. While playing one album/playlist, if you go to another and queue a song from it, that song will play followed by the next song in the first album. Usually, sometimes it screws up because Spotify is buggy.

I actually find this behavior incredibly annoying and wish they had both insert into queue and start playing from this point after current song as separate things.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Maybe it's just because I'm turning into an old man, but the Spotify player is the most confusing, bloated piece of crud software I've used in a long while.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
No kidding. None of this is intuitive. Did they remove control+F to find a song on an artist's page? There's no way to change the bright white background on there?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I've said it before, but honestly the whole player was fine until this new update, in which they literally removed features that had no reason to be removed. I don't care about color schemes, I care about being able to search an artists page. It's not enough for me to cancel my subscription since I use the app on my phone for pretty much all my music, but it's certainly frustrating.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Chicolini posted:

No kidding. None of this is intuitive. Did they remove control+F to find a song on an artist's page? There's no way to change the bright white background on there?

They did remove CTRL+F. The business mind inside of me tells me that labels are the reason (it allows you jump straight to what you want, instead of going through and forcing yourself to see the other songs, possibly making you want to listen), but I can't be certain. For all we know, this might just be the beginning of another update to the player, which works differently.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

They actually rewrote a lot of things entirely in this latest update (version 0.8.8). The new white artist pages are webpages displayed in a Chrome-based browser inside the Spotify client. The old artist pages were generated by the client and it was very fast at doing so. With the latest update, Spotify is becoming a web-based service like all its competitors and I don't know why the hell they're doing that.

If you want the old client back, you can stop the update by placing empty files called "spotify_new.exe" and "spotify_new.exe.sig" on the Spotify folder and making them read only. Then you can install any old client.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have a copy of the old client then? Or where can I find it?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

A bunch of old client installers are here: http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

0.8.5.1356 is the version you probably want, it's the one before the artist page change. 0.6.1 is the oldest version that actually works - anything older will either crash or try to update before logging you in.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

Another Person posted:

They did remove CTRL+F. The business mind inside of me tells me that labels are the reason (it allows you jump straight to what you want, instead of going through and forcing yourself to see the other songs, possibly making you want to listen), but I can't be certain. For all we know, this might just be the beginning of another update to the player, which works differently.

Thank you. It's hard to tell if I'm just missing some new feature that does what the old one did, or if they're just removing things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Superanos posted:

They actually rewrote a lot of things entirely in this latest update (version 0.8.8). The new white artist pages are webpages displayed in a Chrome-based browser inside the Spotify client.

Why the hell did they do this?! I guess that explains why everything is so much noticeably slower now. Maybe since I actually pay for Spotify they'll care if I send them negative feedback...

Don't cock up a good thing, drat it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm building a massive playlist for an upcoming beach trip. I can't be sure, but it seems the number of songs in the playlist fluctuates pretty often, as if songs are being removed from the catalog.

Assuming this is the case, will those songs appear back on my playlist automatically if they're added back in?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

me your dad posted:

I'm building a massive playlist for an upcoming beach trip. I can't be sure, but it seems the number of songs in the playlist fluctuates pretty often, as if songs are being removed from the catalog.

Assuming this is the case, will those songs appear back on my playlist automatically if they're added back in?

Yeah I'm having this happen a whole lot right now. For instance, they deleted a lot of the Bon Iver discography. What the hell spotify?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Go to preferences and uncheck "Hide unplayable tracks" to see the removed tracks. They will appear greyed out. It's stupid that they enable this option by default, it makes it hard to see if you have unplayable tracks on your playlists that may surprisingly come back at some point.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

invision posted:

Yeah I'm having this happen a whole lot right now. For instance, they deleted a lot of the Bon Iver discography. What the hell spotify?
Their licensing agreement probably expired for your region. I'm not sure why this happens so often, other than I guess Spotify doesn't have the leverage to lock up licensing rights for extended periods of time?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The frequent licensing made me consider switching to a competitor, but Rdio is missing the same tracks. gently caress the cloud.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah it's just another price paid for streaming. Stuff drops off Netflix all the time, resulting in "Recently Added" titles appearing which I watched two months prior.

I previously used MOG, and I didn't notice it with their service. But my usage didn't employ many massive playlists where it would be noticeable.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I'm sure that the fear among labels about creating another iTunes-like behemoth that will dictate how the music business works is playing into the whole license kerfuffle as well.

Apart from that there's some labels that are not that keen on streaming, some will just yank everything from the service and publicly complain about the whole streaming business. They get quoted a lot by people who love to write about "that drat internets, ruining everything" and then come back a few months later, without much fanfare.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What are some bands that have been taken off? I can't think of a single one I've seen that's been yanked from streaming.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

precision posted:

What are some bands that have been taken off? I can't think of a single one I've seen that's been yanked from streaming.

I recently noticed that Four Tet isn't on Spotify anymore :(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

het posted:

Their licensing agreement probably expired for your region. I'm not sure why this happens so often, other than I guess Spotify doesn't have the leverage to lock up licensing rights for extended periods of time?

Weird thing is, Bon Iver's in with Spotify to the point of doing an exclusive fan-remix album for them so it's weird that they'd be yanked from any company. Maybe a label fuckup but one would figure Jagjaguwar would be under the Merlin Network for that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

precision posted:

Due to the way the music business works hardly any artist has full control of their catalog, exceptions (from the top of my head) are David Bowie, The Beatles and Metallica. So you're mostly seeing certain parts of the discography not being available. Best example: Aerosmith, because they moved between labels a lot. Another good example is the holding company STHoldings who yanked about 200 sublabels from Spotify (since re-added).

Another example is the Popol Vuh discography. It was all available, but then it disappeared. All that remains is one compilation album, Revisited and Remixed.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 31, 2013

• Locked thread