Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Die Laughing posted:

What's hard to understand? We genuinely liked the kid for a while, and hoped the best for him. When his pill was chill nobody had a bad word to say about LazyB. This stopped being a train wreck long ago, and we were just along for the ride. It's losing it's shine though, but there's still a chance of chiller pills prevailing.

I dunno about you, but the only trainwreck I see is the novel between the last picture in this thread and here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

tiistai posted:

The biggest problem is that there really hasn't been too many particularly surprising twists since the Porky flashback. Well, there was that centipede Satan thing and Trollface making an appearance, but the highlights of the latest chapters have been Tom and Sylvester bickering and Silver being Silver. It's effectively been a fighting sequence after another for several chapters now.

Thanks for mentioning this actually, I wanted to bring this up but since its subjective I wasn't sure if it was just me or not.

redmercer posted:

I dunno about you, but the only trainwreck I see is the novel between the last picture in this thread and here.

:mad: If you keep being mean to me I'll tell my dad and he'll beat you up

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Tails Gets Trolled is dead! Long live Hitler Gets Jewed!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Hitler & Friends Get Jewed

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 22, 2013

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Spaceman One posted:

I have to say, I'm a bit baffled by all the people who are disappointed and heartbroken by what's happened here. I don't quite understand what you were looking for out of this kid. You came to this comic because it was hilarious to see Shadow the Hedgehog brutally murdering people, and stayed because it was weirdly creative and genuinely funny. What about that made you think that this guy would have a nuanced view of human sexuality and gay rights? Wasn't it obvious from the very start that Lazerbot was a seriously strange, possibly unbalanced dude, with a level of discourse and philosophical insight that was barely above "13 year old on X-Box Live"? None of what's resulted should be at all surprising or shocking. I guess I just don't see what you all expected. I mean, wasn't his immaturity, ignorance, and borderline unhinged personality part of the appeal of this in the first place? Asking him for sensitivity and understanding is a total misread of what is obviously an incredibly egotistical, wigged-out, odd kid who might not be very high-functioning in the real world.

In other words, aren't his whacko breakdowns, bitterness at being called a homophobe, and claims to brilliant puppetmastery exactly what you wanted? I really never saw anything that said it would be anything else.

You might be able to see it in some of the posts, but at some point there was a turning point where people coming in and saying "haha this is so terrible" were getting shouted down by people who liked it earnestly, and a lot of people were starting to bandy about the idea that the various issues with quality were intentional choices by LB. So of course at that point people started expecting more, since the thread's population as a whole started tending more toward people who liked it sincerely. This also marked the point in the comic where the plot started dictating things more, so it was a lot more of characters plotting and fighting and stuff rather than random HIGH SHOVEL and troll murder, and the overall tone got a lot more serious. It was still silly because Looney Tunes necromancers, but the comic itself was following a more serious course, which meant that the people who just liked it for being a trainwreck got bored of it.

It's also worth noting that LB's claims to be a puppet master are predated (by months) by goons claiming LB was a puppet master who was totally misspelling everything on purpose and was secretly Shakespeare.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Wrist Watch posted:

:mad: If you keep being mean to me I'll tell my dad and he'll beat you up

You're in trouble now, redmercer! :toughguy:

Taciturn Tactician posted:

You might be able to see it in some of the posts, but at some point there was a turning point where people coming in and saying "haha this is so terrible" were getting shouted down by people who liked it earnestly, and a lot of people were starting to bandy about the idea that the various issues with quality were intentional choices by LB. So of course at that point people started expecting more, since the thread's population as a whole started tending more toward people who liked it sincerely.

I still don't know who was serious and who was just joking. I made a joke-post about Lazerbot being the dawn of a new artistic age, but now that I look back, if it wasn't my post, I would have thought that the goon who made it was being serious. I'll have to work on my satire, I guess.

This thread is what finally made me spit out :10bux: for a forums account, and I don't regret that decision. Lazey's comic was moderately interesting in it's own right, just for the shock value, but this thread is where the fun's really at.

edit:
So much about Schroedinger's pill.
vvvvv

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 21, 2013

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Guys. Guys.

I have a confession to make.

This is all my fault. Every time I start following something/getting interested in it, the author will inevitably go insane and become an rear end in a top hat.

I take complete blame. I'm sorry guys. I'm the one that heated up the pills, merely by observing them. I hope you can forgive me.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm just full of :effort: today!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It is ironic that everything's come full circle. I am kind of disappointed that the comic wasn't just an earnest parody but its no big deal.

Definitely some goons were kind of blowing it up and we all kind of invented stuff that just wasn't there. The comic was genuinely funny for a while and LB does has some talent in comparison to any other person on the Internet who makes Sonic the Hedgehog webcomics but yeah, this all is not very surprising in retrospect. It was a fun ride while it lasted.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 21, 2013

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

TGT was always compelling because it was lovely. It's now even shittier because the author had a meltdown. Everything is great.

Atma
Sep 16, 2002

College Slice

produce
Apr 1, 2008
I appreciate that Knuckles' "...with me and that monkey" line is left untouched.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

produce posted:

I appreciate that Knuckles' "...with me and that monkey" line is left untouched.

Now with extra racist undertones!

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

You might be able to see it in some of the posts, but at some point there was a turning point where people coming in and saying "haha this is so terrible" were getting shouted down by people who liked it earnestly, and a lot of people were starting to bandy about the idea that the various issues with quality were intentional choices by LB. So of course at that point people started expecting more, since the thread's population as a whole started tending more toward people who liked it sincerely. This also marked the point in the comic where the plot started dictating things more, so it was a lot more of characters plotting and fighting and stuff rather than random HIGH SHOVEL and troll murder, and the overall tone got a lot more serious. It was still silly because Looney Tunes necromancers, but the comic itself was following a more serious course, which meant that the people who just liked it for being a trainwreck got bored of it.

Why does it have to be one or the other? TGT is a ~special experience~, it's not quite the same as reading (say) Sonichu to laugh at it and be entertained by how lovely it is, and it's definitely not the same as reading a quality comic. It exists in some sort of weirdly endearing between-space. Someone summed it up many pages ago when they responded to someone asking if the thread was sincere or not with "a little from column A, a little from column B".

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Y'know, I've gotta say I agree with everything being said after my question. When I asked, I was trying to think it was one of those things where one big bad cause made everything kind of peter out, but it really does seem to be a combination of goons being discouraged, which leaves the crazy Facebook and DeviantArt fans, and everything else just leads to other things. And I've gotta agree that it's a drag to have lengthy fight scenes at one page per...what is it now, week? I do love the cleverness involved in the Garry and Demaro scene, but this one, involving a fan favorite even, just seems kind of dull? Not sure if it's because of the artist's own attitude outside the comic or not, but I'm just ready for the story to move on at this point anyway.

Oh, and:

scarycave posted:

I think a bit of both really. Jazz-Flight hadn't made another TGT related in awhile before the freak-out, and LB seemed a bit impatient about it. At the same time, the Goon-works slowed to a halt - possibly due to the tedious fight going on (something similar that happened during the troll-king fight). LB also asked about the YouTube channel sometime during the drought as well. Personally, I stopped making stuff when the gay freak-out happened I couldn't really put my heart into it anymore. I only started up again when people were talking about making more fan-art for the thread. HGJ almost makes the whole travesty worthwhile.

It's kind of funny, for a guy that hates Goons, he sure seems to have a lot of links to the audio-books, and goon fan-art.
Despite the fact that a lot of the stuff was probably made for the thread in particular and not for him.

It was actually heart-wrenching to see some of the reactions of fans in this thread, yourself included! A lot of us were so eager and happy to do the fan stuff, and to see some people that always came off as nothing but excited before just seem so disappointed was sad, especially after so much heart was put into things.

Spaceman One posted:

In other words, aren't his whacko breakdowns, bitterness at being called a homophobe, and claims to brilliant puppetmastery exactly what you wanted? I really never saw anything that said it would be anything else.

I like to think a lot of us saw LB as someone who just didn't give a poo poo about what others did or think. Like, if someone liked his work, he thought that was awesome, but if they didn't he didn't mind. If someone was a woman, or gay, or a different race, he didn't care, he just hated trolls. It's through him showing his personality outside of the comic more that we saw some things that made him seem less chill. I personally wasn't as disheartened by the slight homophobia as much as I was about the arrogant, obnoxious attitude shown in most recent rambling posts by him.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I know people have mentioned about Sonic or Tails being the self-insert character for Lazy B, but is it possible it might be Ronald McDonald instead? :v:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I know people have mentioned about Sonic or Tails being the self-insert character for Lazy B, but is it possible it might be Ronald McDonald instead? :v:

Nah, it's Demaro hands down.

Cartoon Violence posted:

It was actually heart-wrenching to see some of the reactions of fans in this thread, yourself included! A lot of us were so eager and happy to do the fan stuff, and to see some people that always came off as nothing but excited before just seem so disappointed was sad, especially after so much heart was put into things.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just lost the will to do anything TGT related after that. I think I can start doing some more stuff again though, I don't know if it will have the same "feeling" but I like to make things for the few threads I scurry around in.

Sorry if my reaction made you sad though. :(

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
Does anyone know what happened to that smoking troll from the beginning?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sawboss Jones posted:

Does anyone know what happened to that smoking troll from the beginning?

We haven't seen Alex (or Mario or Troll King for that matter) since last July. Pori's been out of the comic for almost as long (but he at least showed up in four panels in early August)

That's right. 9 months (and 6 chapters) of fighting sequences do that to a character.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 22, 2013

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

ComradeCosmobot posted:

We haven't seen Alex (or Mario or Troll King for that matter) since last July. Pori's been out of the comic for almost as long (but he at least showed up in four panels in early August)

That's right. 9 months (and 6 chapters) of fighting sequences do that to a character.

Is that bird part jet? I can just hear the jet take off sounds. :allears:

scarycave fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 22, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Holy poo poo, no wonder it feels like this comic's been treading water for ages.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

TGT was always compelling because it was lovely. It's now even shittier because the author had a meltdown. Everything is great.

I think a reason a lot of goons actually started unironically liking TGT is because lazyb appeared to be the opposite of the typical ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL type who makes poo poo like this. Like, he was making a comic beacuse he wanted too, not to bash real world people that made him mad or to get his furry rocks off. It was also cool beacuse he was more chill and better than some 'real' webcomic artist (buckley).

Now he's pretty much revealed himself to be just as big of a smug sperg which is really sad :smith:

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 22, 2013

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Definitely Kermit. The walls of text, the way he thinks he transcends all this petty trolling.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Almost every character in the comic is a self insert. Everytime a character goes on a long rant it just screams "lazy thinks this". Which is fine. But yeah I think if we have to pick one, it's Demaro. Saved by his third eye, powers he doesn't understand? is holding his own against the strongest necromancer in the universe? yeah, it's Demaro. I kinda wish it wasn't, I don't find him very interesting.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

DrManiac posted:

I think a reason a lot of goons actually started unironically liking TGT is because lazyb appeared to be the opposite of the typical ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL type who makes poo poo like this. Like, he was making a comic beacuse he wanted too, not to bash real world people that made him mad or to get his furry rocks off. It was also cool beacuse he was more chill and better than some 'real' webcomic artist (buckley).

Now he's pretty much revealed himself to be just as big of a smug sperg which is really sad :smith:

Yeah, that's pretty much why I started to like the comic. It started out as a revenge fantasy, then when he got to the troll king, and actually gave the trolls a somewhat sympathetic back-story, it gave the feeling that he was pegging both sides, showing that the people who respond to getting trolled in the normal Deviant art way (making revenge comics, death threats, generally making it worse for themselves)were just as bad as the people trolling them. Kind of like the Shin-Megami (Law vs Chaos)

An ugly fat guy called Tails ugly, Shadow murdered them. Then the trolls retaliated.
Of course, Lazy has been doing his best to make it less "gray".
Animal Rape, Being Gay, Being Ugly, Being "smart", Some kind of plan(?) - seeing that fat troll at the computer was kind of hard to watch because it was clear at that point that Lazy was talking about actual trolls on the computer getting killed. Most deaths so far had combat-trained trolls basically but this guy seemed to be Lazy's depiction of an actual troll.

Gardenback
Nov 26, 2007
I can't wait until all of this exegesis is compiled for the TGT Norton Critical Edition. I hope we get a silk-screened slipcover.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

scarycave posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much why I started to like the comic. It started out as a revenge fantasy, then when he got to the troll king, and actually gave the trolls a somewhat sympathetic back-story, it gave the feeling that he was pegging both sides, showing that the people who respond to getting trolled in the normal Deviant art way (making revenge comics, death threats, generally making it worse for themselves)were just as bad as the people trolling them. Kind of like the Shin-Megami (Law vs Chaos)

An ugly fat guy called Tails ugly, Shadow murdered them. Then the trolls retaliated.
Of course, Lazy has been doing his best to make it less "gray".
Animal Rape, Being Gay, Being Ugly, Being "smart", Some kind of plan(?) - seeing that fat troll at the computer was kind of hard to watch because it was clear at that point that Lazy was talking about actual trolls on the computer getting killed. Most deaths so far had combat-trained trolls basically but this guy seemed to be Lazy's depiction of an actual troll.

Why? Why are you doing this?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Tortuga posted:

Isn't this usually stated as "Hold! What you are doing to us is wrong! Why do you do this thing?"

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Am I the only one who sees the electric spiders as Reginald from Nedroid's face?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Am I the only one who sees the electric spiders as Reginald from Nedroid's face?

:psyboom: I see it now. I wonder why they have beaks anyway? Coolness factor?

Tortuga posted:

I'm over-analyzing a comic that was made by someone who's possibly mentally ill. Why do you ask? :negative:

scarycave fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 23, 2013

Tacostein
Aug 3, 2006

Dumb ass will learn ,
To be fair, your analysis wasn't really in depth.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

scarycave posted:

I'm over-analyzing a comic that was made by someone who's possibly mentally ill. Why do you ask? :negative:

If it makes you feel any better, my thoughts were leading the same way! :v:

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Spaceman One posted:

I have to say, I'm a bit baffled by all the people who are disappointed and heartbroken by what's happened here. I don't quite understand what you were looking for out of this kid. You came to this comic because it was hilarious to see Shadow the Hedgehog brutally murdering people, and stayed because it was weirdly creative and genuinely funny. What about that made you think that this guy would have a nuanced view of human sexuality and gay rights? Wasn't it obvious from the very start that Lazerbot was a seriously strange, possibly unbalanced dude, with a level of discourse and philosophical insight that was barely above "13 year old on X-Box Live"? None of what's resulted should be at all surprising or shocking. I guess I just don't see what you all expected. I mean, wasn't his immaturity, ignorance, and borderline unhinged personality part of the appeal of this in the first place? Asking him for sensitivity and understanding is a total misread of what is obviously an incredibly egotistical, wigged-out, odd kid who might not be very high-functioning in the real world.

I'm with this guy. I've been lurking this thread since it was in GBS and have been waiting with my fingers crossed for a mental breakdown from LB. If anything I think it just adds to the humor. Now I can both laugh at his horrible (yet funny) comic and laugh at his horrible (yet funny) psychotic manifestos on facebook. I apologize if any of you guys honestly thought this kid was talented, but I'd like to thank you for encouraging his inevitable break down. The last few months of the comic have been poo poo obviously, but the insanity is what keeps me around - so whether it's in comic form or facebook form I just hope it doesn't end prematurely. If LB is going to run this into the ground he needs to do it with style, through the comic, complete with self inserts and obvious teen angst.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Notitia posted:

I apologize if any of you guys honestly thought this kid was talented

Well, he's far from being there yet, but he has shown much greater capacity to improve than Michael Terracciano or Tim Buckley. In that, he was more talented than professional webcartoonists, while his comic was still hilariously lovely. That was a great part of the appeal.

That and the completely out there characterization, like Silver thinking tediously murdering people in cages would be a romantic thing to do with his not-yet-girlfriend. That level of psychopathy can only make you laugh. (Or warn the police. It's a tossup.)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
You do have to give Lazy B credit for graphically depicting a porcine mother and her baby getting sniped through the head and killing off Rob (at first), arguably the most beloved character in the comic.

At least Lazy B is willing to push boundaries in a more compelling way than professional artists do (Exhibit A).

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

TheRamblingSoul posted:

You do have to give Lazy B credit for graphically depicting a porcine mother and her baby getting sniped through the head and killing off Rob (at first), arguably the most beloved character in the comic.

At least Lazy B is willing to push boundaries in a more compelling way than professional artists do (Exhibit A).

I've never seen that video and I don't follow CAD, what strip is this from?

The_Skull_Electric
Jun 7, 2006

The Summer of Flesh
Nm: I'm dumb

The_Skull_Electric fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 26, 2013

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Gary2863 posted:

I've never seen that video and I don't follow CAD, what strip is this from?

Its from the final arc of old CAD before the ReB^UT.
Not-Bender killed Ethan's wife and everyone was having a ball with it. Loss 2.0.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The_Skull_Electric posted:

I have a button maker and can make 2.25" buttons. I've contacted Lazerbot and he gave me the go ahead. I'll make them for $2.50+$1.50 shipping. If anyone wants a button made from and image a goon created we will have to get permission from said goon.

Did you also get permission from Warner Bros., Sega, Namco, Hello Kitty, Disney, Jim Henson, and a shitload more I'm probably forgetting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassionTentacle
Aug 22, 2010

Glad to see I'm not the only one who grew tired of TGT a while back. It got pretty boring there, but there were some still the ocassional great moment, but what really ruined TGT for me was following Lazey-B on Facebook. He started to say too drat much, and turned into a creature that couldn't stand anyone misinterpreting his vision (and then sucked the fun out of the discussions). Started to realize Lazerbot wasn't quite the light-hearted author who was willing to laugh at himself. At least, not anymore.

Did we make Lazerbot too big for his britches? Being serious now, the comic was awful, but it had a lot of heart and did bring a lot of laughter and excitement for the few good months that we had it. I'll fondly remember everything up through the Porky flashback. For that, I'll thank Lazerbot and the constant denizens of this thread. It was a loving ride.