Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mmtt
May 8, 2009
Btw, for those on the fence for this, you might want to preorder Bioshock Infinite on GMG. They have some insane offer right now: £24 for Bioshock Infinite + Xcom Enemy Unknown + Another free game (one of these Civ V, Mafia II, Bioshock II, Spec Ops the Line or Darkness II). It's an absolute steal.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

I think you can add the voucher codes to it to make it even cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
How exactly does GMG pull off undercutting the competition consistently and doing huge deals like that?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Welp, I'm installing this now thanks to my Bioshock preorder.

Time to shoot me some aliens.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have a copy of XCom for the first person to quote this post and add me on Steam.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Orv posted:

I have a copy of XCom for the first person to quote this post and add me on Steam.

trying!

Got it, thank you kind sir!

Aureon fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 21, 2013

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
A friend of mine kindly gifted this game to me and now I'm wading around knee deep in alien guts

this game is all sorts of crazy fun and I can't wait to run into my first AI-teleporting bug! But seriously, really like what firaxis has put on display here.

edit: would it make sense to opt-in to the beta patches? Kind of sucks that patch releases are stymied by dumb console payment requirements.

Kodo fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 21, 2013

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I think I drink either too much beer or too little beer for Ironman. Not sure which.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tonight, I assault the Temple Ship on Ironman Impossible. This is my 2nd I/I game I got this far, though the first assault was "oh god everyone's dead and all I have is a Psionic Squaddie and 5 SHIVs of various stripes to try and end the game before my 8th country leaves at month's end."

This time I've got 6 human colonels, 2 of which are psionic, everyone in ghost armor, and my 2 heavies packing blaster launchers. Unless I completely gently caress up the sectopod room or get really unlucky with shots on the uber ethereal, I've finally done it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FairGame posted:

Tonight, I assault the Temple Ship on Ironman Impossible. This is my 2nd I/I game I got this far, though the first assault was "oh god everyone's dead and all I have is a Psionic Squaddie and 5 SHIVs of various stripes to try and end the game before my 8th country leaves at month's end."

This time I've got 6 human colonels, 2 of which are psionic, everyone in ghost armor, and my 2 heavies packing blaster launchers. Unless I completely gently caress up the sectopod room or get really unlucky with shots on the uber ethereal, I've finally done it.

Good luck! Enjoy the teleporting Sectopods with infinite reaction shots! :keke:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

FairGame posted:

... I've finally done it.

I sort of feel like you've set yourself up here.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
I'm currently in my second battleship. I shot down a heavy floater with a rocket while he was floating over emptiness, which sent my camera careening about a hundred miles away from the map. Now I cleared the room that happened in, but I can't exit it. There's a blown up doorway with some small bump that prevents me from getting to the next room. My archangel armor support could fly over it and even walk through it after landing on it, but couldn't go back to the previous room without using flight.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Can we all pause for a moment to remember "Lady Gray" who died defending this "Applebee's" Bar and Grill.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
That square might be on fire, even though I cant see an animation for it. Maybe wait out a few turns and see if it goes away

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

beerinator posted:

I sort of feel like you've set yourself up here.

Nope. Mission went off nearly without a hitch. My low will sniper got crit by an off-screen cyberdisc in the first room and went through the rest of the mission with even lower will.

That turned out to be a problem when I mind controlled 2 mutons and had them grenade each other to death. Game counts that as friendly deaths and does a will check, which panicked my sniper.

Who shot The Volunteer in the face. Fortunately, he was using his pistol at the time so it didn't kill him.

Took a bit of damage from the 2 muton elites before the Uber Ethereal room, but was 100% healed with all my consumable skills and 1 medkit use when I hit the final room.

Mind controlled one of the elites, who got 1-shot with a rift from a regular ethereal. For shits and giggles, I killed everything else in the room with rift, rocket fire, and sniper shots before I run-and-gunned the uber's final HP.

Yay. I've conquered my xcom white whale.

Stoppard
Jan 13, 2007
Just got this game, started playing on Ironman Classic difficulty. How long do terror missions stay on the geoscape once they show up? I just had 2 back-to-back missions right before it popped up, so I only have 4 uninjured rookies left. Will the mission still be there if I wait 3 days for some of my soldiers to heal up?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Stoppard posted:

Just got this game, started playing on Ironman Classic difficulty. How long do terror missions stay on the geoscape once they show up? I just had 2 back-to-back missions right before it popped up, so I only have 4 uninjured rookies left. Will the mission still be there if I wait 3 days for some of my soldiers to heal up?

They don't disappear immediately, but it is not very long at all. I tried to wait for 2 days for some armor and it failed. Random googling has people saying on other forums that they only last for 24-30 hours (depends on the post). That seems possibly correct from my experience.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I've been trying to use Toolboks but I keep getting a file size error on a fresh install. I'm using the 2k_community beta. Any idea what I can do?

Edit: VVV Thanks. At least it can still skip the intro videos. VVV

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 23, 2013

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've been trying to use Toolboks but I keep getting a file size error on a fresh install. I'm using the 2k_community beta. Any idea what I can do?

The latest patch broke Toolboks. You'll have to wait until the author makes an updated version.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lynx posted:

The latest patch broke Toolboks. You'll have to wait until the author makes an updated version.

I can't see my soldiers' XP anymore :(

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
Just beat the game for the first time on Ironman Classic. I ended it in November. This game has a really weird difficulty curve, at the start it was pretty hard but by the end I had so many strong guys with plasma weapons and stuff that if a sectopod attacked I wasn't even worried, 2 shots from my heavy or a supression until the next round and then a double tap would take him out easily. The last level was trivial. I only ever lost one country too, and it was Argentina and gently caress Argentina

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

fineX posted:

Just beat the game for the first time on Ironman Classic. I ended it in November. This game has a really weird difficulty curve, at the start it was pretty hard but by the end I had so many strong guys with plasma weapons and stuff that if a sectopod attacked I wasn't even worried, 2 shots from my heavy or a supression until the next round and then a double tap would take him out easily. The last level was trivial. I only ever lost one country too, and it was Argentina and gently caress Argentina
I believe that's the consensus on how most people's games turn out: really tough at first, but simple getting to the end. My first game was like that since I held off on assaulting the alien base until I had built up my troops to the top ranks.

I don't know if any of the long-war mods or any of the non-random Second Wave options will keep the difficulty consistent.

Ironman-mode is probably the next step, if you can accept the fact a glitch during a mission may ruin your game.

What's the preferred way to deal with ironman glitches these days: kill the game, or can you load from a savegame file of some sorts? I may try ironman myself since the teleport bug appears to be mostly contained with the latest patch, though I know some LOS/alien activation bug still exists.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Holy crap. I restarted my classic run because it had gone awry after a particularly bad mission involving mutons; I pick Africa, got my first mission in the graveyard. I run 3 of my guys to full cover and one stays behind the van. I trigger 3 sectoids, they scatter for cover, I start moving my guys up in full cover using the tombs to take some shots at them (which miss).

Then it's their turn.

First one up the bat, crits one of my guys in full cover, kills him. poo poo.

Second one. Another shot, another kill. gently caress.

Third sectoid. Third dead guy (all in full cover so far).

Fourth dude panics, hunkers down, gets dead in the next round by 2 of the sectoids.

I just got team wiped in the first mission, in the second turn. :psyduck:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I've been doing great on mission so far, but I think I hosed up the base side of the game by waiting too long on satellites. Multiple countries are at full panic level and threatening to withdraw, and I only have one satellite pending construction which won't help enough.

What the best strategy, just rush Uplink facilities and cover the world with satellites ASAP? Is it worth restarting my game at this point?

E: VVV I am aware of that, but you're limited by number of Uplink facilities and also money. So I guess the answer is prioritize satellites over everything else.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 23, 2013

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

What the best strategy, just rush Uplink facilities and cover the world with satellites ASAP? Is it worth restarting my game at this point?

Literally the most important thing to know about X-Com is that you can build multiple satellites at the same time.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Edmond Dantes posted:

Holy crap. I restarted my classic run because it had gone awry after a particularly bad mission involving mutons; I pick Africa, got my first mission in the graveyard. I run 3 of my guys to full cover and one stays behind the van. I trigger 3 sectoids, they scatter for cover, I start moving my guys up in full cover using the tombs to take some shots at them (which miss).

Then it's their turn.

First one up the bat, crits one of my guys in full cover, kills him. poo poo.

Second one. Another shot, another kill. gently caress.

Third sectoid. Third dead guy (all in full cover so far).

Fourth dude panics, hunkers down, gets dead in the next round by 2 of the sectoids.

I just got team wiped in the first mission, in the second turn. :psyduck:

Thats awesome. That might be the most xcom thing in the thread.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'd normally say "that's Impossible!" but then realized that was on Classic. This is why the Impossible players stress concealment >>> hunkering down. Because even in full cover when the AI has fairly good cover and you can't hope for a good shot, you need to force the enemy to move up and chase you. Using hunker down to draw fire while the rest of your squad flanks or gets in better position is a somewhat viable strategy as well.

Regardless, that's a pretty serious :xcom: anyway.

nnnotime posted:

What's the preferred way to deal with ironman glitches these days: kill the game, or can you load from a savegame file of some sorts? I may try ironman myself since the teleport bug appears to be mostly contained with the latest patch, though I know some LOS/alien activation bug still exists.
I kill the game if it's a bug that happens during the enemy turn like a clowncar teleport, but even then sometimes I'm too late and the game has saved, so I have to face the consequences of having an entire abductor spawn around my squad in destructible half cover while they're in full. I sometimes copy a save file every few missions or so after what happened where I lost my entire game from a cascade of failures after a battlescape bug that kept a key squad member stuck in place. Just google around for the save game directory location. I practice the X-COM code of honor very much and only savescum for throwaway games where I'm experimenting with mechanics. I'd have greatly appreciated an X-COM sandbox mode where your guys are invincible or something while you keep messing around with the AI, but that's not about to happen I guess.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 23, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

madmac posted:

Literally the most important thing to know about X-Com is that you can build multiple satellites at the same time.

Actually it's that you can building multiple satellites using different orders and can build more sats than you have uplink capacity for.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
There needs to be an onslaught mode where you setup a defending position against unlimited waves. Rewards for holding out long enough, before you basically have to make a run for it. Might spice up the late game

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQt8xQqy95k

No Android though, so... :negative:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Wow, where did the energetic, charismatic Jake Solomon go? And who replaced him with a wooden actor? Is he in fact, a thin man now?

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 24, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Polygon posted:

A brief glimpse of the future of XCOM was shown off during Firaxis' PAX East 2013 panel moments ago, hinting that a new alien threat may be aligning against planet Earth.

The teaser, which featured a static-riddled message from the "councilman," delivered an ominous message to close out the panel.

"This next one is big," Firaxis' Jake Solomon told the panel's attendees. "You're not going to see it anywhere else, we're not even going to talk about it for a while. This is for those of you who care enough to be super fans and came to this panel. We wanted to give you a sneak peek at what may be coming next, so, we have an incoming transmission from the councilman."

The message, which was fairly difficult to translate, was not an optimistic one.

"Hello Commander," the councilman said. "The war continues, at great cost. We now believe another force has [static] against us, if not dealt with swiftly, they could destroy us. What we're about to tell you cannot be repeated. Even now, enemy agents could be ..." Following that, the message was cut off, leaving the audience to wonder what Firaxis has up its sleeve.

Hrm. The sound of that makes me wonder if they're skipping a big expansion and 2K is having them make a full-fledged XCOM II right off the bat.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Alehkhs posted:

XCOM for IOS.

Well, if that's the only XCOM-related news from then it's disappointing, frankly. The vanilla game needs more of everything, more maps (or random generation), more weapons, new interception mechanics, the ability to send more transports to various locations simultaneously, something to make the last 1/3th of the game actually challenging, throwing the last mission away or making it something else than a series of stupid corridors with set groups of enemies. You know, actual content. I played through it three times and don't have any intention to go back. Hope it gets something like Gods & Kings that'd make it more complex and fun.

/\/\/\/\/\
Edit:
Oh, a teaser. Well, here's hoping.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 24, 2013

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

pun pundit posted:

Wow, where did the energetic, charismatic Jake Solomon go? And who replaced him with a wooden actor? Is he in fact, a thin man now?

I imagine that he's not quite as pumped all the time now that XCOM being a total bomb is no longer a concern

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I will buy the poo poo out of X-com on iOS.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I've just started my first Classic run. It's really kicking my rear end in combat and I'm not sure if reloading from a save at mission start because I get destroyed is fair. I've seen some people in the thread say it's super hard at the start but closer to the end it feels easier. So just wondering, will taking a few mission failures at the start really bite me in the rear end later or can I take like 3 or 4 losses without getting too deep into game over territory too early? I'm good with finishing a mission with only one dude left but it's really disheartening to lose everyone.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I really hope it runs on my old iPad 1, because I would buy it all over again.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Lyrax posted:

I've just started my first Classic run. It's really kicking my rear end in combat and I'm not sure if reloading from a save at mission start because I get destroyed is fair. I've seen some people in the thread say it's super hard at the start but closer to the end it feels easier. So just wondering, will taking a few mission failures at the start really bite me in the rear end later or can I take like 3 or 4 losses without getting too deep into game over territory too early? I'm good with finishing a mission with only one dude left but it's really disheartening to lose everyone.
If you win a mission with one guy left that's fine, though obviously you don't want to be doing that every mission, as it will take longer to build up strong troops. If you think a mission is going against the team you can retreat the survivors to the exit point, though there is a bug that makes that exit point disappear at times.

Also, if you want to avoid early game-overs, make sure you understand the strategic game in the Geoscape, like on how to be effective at building your base and early build orders for satellites.

The original post has a few gameplay suggestions, and if you skim through the thread you'll find other strategy tips, though you may run into a few spoilers along the way.

You may want to try a few non-serious Classic runs to get the hang of things in both the tactical and strategic game, so you can experiment, and then once you feel like you know what you are doing, start over with a serious Classic game.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

I will buy the poo poo out of X-com on iOS.

This all makes me wonder what the price point will be on ios? Can't be any lower than the lowest steam price, can it?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'd be a bit worried at the lack of enthusiasm shown by Solomon except at the Firaxis panel today he looked pretty happy and animated, so he probably just doesn't give much of a poo poo about the ios port.

I do, though - I've been killing my battery with Civ Rev, and for the right price I'd be happy to switch over to a proper XCOM EU port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Okay, I'm playing on Normal. I started over and tried to prioritize satellites as quickly as I could. Have full coverage over South America and Africa, which is awesome for bonuses.

I've still already lost two countries to panic and two more are about to pull out. What the hell can I do? Or is it totally normal to lose countries?

I can't see how I can rush satellites any faster, I hit a hard limit due to lack of money and/or engineers at a certain point.

• Locked thread