Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Red posted:

If I remember correctly, the book went back and forth with Davey as a horrible person and as the victim. Jim Neidhart was a terrible person, Bret was a terrible person, Smith/Keith/the rest were all awful people - except for Owen, who was an angel.

Everything I've read about Davey Boy suggests he was a meathead who was naturally gifted, but had the misfortune of spending a lot of time with Dynamite Kid, and picking up all his worst habits. Once Dynamite had to leave the business, he was unlucky enough to be surrounded by people who shared a similar lifestyle. And even then, he had really bad luck when it came to politics and random injuries.

But it was obvious he overdid it on roids/drugs/everything else. Even during his first WWF singles run, with the braids, he looked like an overcooked hot dog. When he came back for his final WWF stint in 1999, he had a dark tan that couldn't hide stretch marks and who knows what else.

It's really a loving horrible book. Meltzer says that a portion of it is true, while the vast majority is complete fantasy. All of it is word salad, and I would encourage anyone to read anything else first. It's pretty hard to get a book pulled from shelves on a libel case, but that's what happened. The Dynamite Kid stuff (which is probably the true stuff since Dynamite is insane) is horrible, but the Owen stuff should make people throw up in their mouths a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I love how in Diana Smith's book she couldn't even get people's names right. "Steve 'Mondo' McMichael snorted a huge line before going out to the ring."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As far as I can tell, Bret's book is accurate (as long as you disregard everything he says about himself or his marriage).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cromulent posted:

I love how in Diana Smith's book she couldn't even get people's names right. "Steve 'Mondo' McMichael snorted a huge line before going out to the ring."

On the other hand, I remember everyone was quick to dismiss Diana's book entirely because of this ("She referred to The Amazing French Canadians as The Quebecers? WHAT AN IDIOT - THE WHOLE THING MUST BE FAKE").

It's more likely she needed a better fact-checker/editor. I enjoyed it for what it was.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

On the other hand, I remember everyone was quick to dismiss Diana's book entirely because of this ("She referred to The Amazing French Canadians as The Quebecers? WHAT AN IDIOT - THE WHOLE THING MUST BE FAKE").

It's more likely she needed a better fact-checker/editor. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Everyone was quick to dismiss it because it was libelous trash that was pulled from the market for that very reason. If you enjoy libelous trash, good for you I guess?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRanTer posted:

libelous trash

You have just described every shoot interview ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

You have just described every shoot interview ever.

You don't even know what libel is, do you? You also don't know how uncommon it is for a book to be pulled like that. Funny how every shoot interview ever hasn't been pulled. Funny how no one points to libel on those as something they can enjoy in the way you say you can.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRanTer posted:

You don't even know what libel is, do you? You also don't know how uncommon it is for a book to be pulled like that. Funny how every shoot interview ever hasn't been pulled. Funny how no one points to libel on those as something they can enjoy in the way you say you can.

Most shoot interviews aren't officially copyrighted works - which is why when someone accuses Tammy Sytch of smoking crack in a shoot interview, she doesn't do the logical thing and sue, she does another interview for the same company trying to argue that she didn't smoke crack.

It's a carny industry. Meltzer sides with Bret on everything, so I'd rather see Bret point out what parts of Diana's book were false rather than generalizing that the entire thing as untrue.

I think Diana would know whether or not Davey Boy raped her. She would have no reason to make up stuff like that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

EugeneJ posted:

Most shoot interviews aren't officially copyrighted works - which is why when someone accuses Tammy Sytch of smoking crack in a shoot interview, she doesn't do the logical thing and sue, she does another interview for the same company trying to argue that she didn't smoke crack.

It's a carny industry. Meltzer sides with Bret on everything, so I'd rather see Bret point out what parts of Diana's book were false rather than generalizing that the entire thing as untrue.

I think Diana would know whether or not Davey Boy raped her. She would have no reason to make up stuff like that.

Hahaha this guy really doesn't know what the word libel means but won't stop arguing about it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EugeneJ posted:

I think what you're trying to say in answer to Rapper is "No."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nothing to do with the wcw thread but whenever i see sarah palin, i immediately think of MRT.

thank you MRT for being our resident pro wrestling analyst/historian/5 card stud strategist.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's really a loving horrible book. Meltzer says that a portion of it is true, while the vast majority is complete fantasy. All of it is word salad, and I would encourage anyone to read anything else first. It's pretty hard to get a book pulled from shelves on a libel case, but that's what happened. The Dynamite Kid stuff (which is probably the true stuff since Dynamite is insane) is horrible, but the Owen stuff should make people throw up in their mouths a little.

I only got to read it when it was posted online just after getting pulled from shelves, and I gave up reading when she hit the early 90s. It just reeked of bitterness.

Bret's book is outstanding - at least while he's writing about his youth and the Stampede days. He paints an amazing picture of the Hart household.

I wish there was a Mr. Perfect bio. :(

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

EugeneJ posted:

Copyright has nothing to do with libel.

The reason Sytch doesn't sue is because statements like that are true (and could theoretically be proven), not because they aren't copyrighted.

Defamation (libel/slander) cases are very hard to prove in a court of law (at least in Canada, I believe it's slightly easier in the States as the burden of proof isn't as heavy as it is in Canada, IANAL, though) and the fact that Hart's book was yanked from the shelves is a very uncommon thing, especially considering the people being talked about were prominent public figures (typically it's harder for public figures to win defamation cases.)

For what it's worth, I read part of Diane Hart's book during lunch breaks when it was still in stores and there were a lot of inaccuracies (and I'm not talking about simple name errors) and unbelievable poo poo being said. I agree with OneThousandMonkeys, read anything else.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LordPants posted:

I think what you're trying to say in answer to Rapper is "No."

MassRayPer thinks that if something isn't published, it never happened. I disagree with that.

For instance, if five people in a wrestling company personally tell me something happened backstage, and MRP counters with "SHOW ME WHERE THAT WAS WRITTEN I CAN NOT FIND AN ARTICLE ON THIS" - well, that's just silly.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

MassRayPer thinks that if something isn't published, it never happened. I disagree with that.

For instance, if five people in a wrestling company personally tell me something happened backstage, and MRP counters with "SHOW ME WHERE THAT WAS WRITTEN I CAN NOT FIND AN ARTICLE ON THIS" - well, that's just silly.

its less that more that you literally don't know the definition.

libel is written.

slander is spoken.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Libel can include broadcasted statements, though I don't know if that encompasses poo poo like YouTube shoot interviews or whatever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Why would she make up things about living people that can be proven wrong? With the rape accusation we have no way of knowing because she lied about so many other things. It is rare for a book to be pulled. This isn't a case of he said, she said, this is a book that is just bullshit. Shoot interviews would be just as prone to suits as books if known damaging lies were told for profit. It is difficult to prove these claims and damages, which is further powerful evidence the book is nonsense. Your post indicates you have little comprehension of the issues involved here or the law.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

EugeneJ posted:

Strawman doesn't help your argument

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Perdido posted:

Libel can include broadcasted statements

Right -

http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1153

quote:

Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander, which is oral defamation.

Slander would be like if New Jack went in front of a crowd of people and said "Tammy Sytch smokes crack and killed a dude by biting his dick off".

If he says that during a shoot interview or on television, it's libel.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Defamation of public figures requires an actual malice standard, which is knowledge or reckless disregard of the statement's falsity, which is why libel and slander against public figures are usually junk torts. To see a book get pulled for those reasons means it's complete and total garbage.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

My memory's foggy, but,

What I found most insulting about her book is that she got Stu Hart to write a 'preface' to it. When Stu probably didn't see word one of what was written and was old enough to have no real clue of what the gently caress was going on around him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Please file for an official copyright so I can sue you for libel. You have damaged my credibility and wasted my 10 bucks with your false statements.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

I ain't a fan of MRP, but gently caress sake you're a damned idiot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

I ain't a fan of MRP, but gently caress sake you're a damned idiot.

I am a fan of MRP even though we constantly argue, because MRP is generally more informed than anyone else posting here and consequently has shamed me about a hundred times. The only person possibly more informed about anything is jeffersonlives, who is a lawyer who knows everything about politics, football, and wrestling for some reason.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I'm not actually practicing at the moment, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Right -

http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1153

Slander would be like if New Jack went in front of a crowd of people and said "Tammy Sytch smokes crack and killed a dude by biting his dick off".

If he says that during a shoot interview or on television, it's libel.

But New Jack could argue that he was 'performing as a character' and get around a potential lawsuit that way.

Alternatively, if he was giving an interview, the burden of proof (I am somewhat misusing this term) would be on him to show that what he said happened, and then Sytch would have to show how her reputation was damaged by those statements. Even partial false statements (killed a dude by biting his dick off) doesn't mean defamation has happened. There was a notable case in the 60s with the New York Times and I think Kent State where they were talking about civil rights infringements of African Americans. Some of the claims in the article the NYT made were false, but not all of them, and that was sufficient to escape a libel ruling because they weren't acting with the aforementioned 'malice' that Jeffersonlives referenced.

However, Sytch's substance abuse problems are well known and well documented, so even if she doesn't smoke crack specifically, it's irrelevant.

You could also take other shoot comments from other people, like that Nexus guy who was fired and said a bunch of poo poo about John Cena. Taken on the surface, they're potentially defaming comments, but then you have to look at the context -- does anyone seriously believe the guy or think he has any credibility? Has John Cena or WWE's reputation been seriously hurt by these claims? No? Well, then the statements shouldn't be taken as slander/libel.

To try and draw this somewhat back to the WCW Thread...Russo's comments about Hogan being a 'bald headed son of a bitch' I think did end up becoming a libel case (and were settled by Time Warner...I think?) and you could make an argument that Russo was acting with malice with his comments (although they were true, haha.) Anyone know anything more about that particular case?

Perdido fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 22, 2013

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRanTer posted:

Please file for an official copyright so I can sue you for libel. You have damaged my credibility and wasted my 10 bucks with your false statements.

Syd Eick

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

I'm not actually practicing at the moment, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

If you were practicing I assume no one would ever hear from you again!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I am a fan of MRP even though we constantly argue, because MRP is generally more informed than anyone else posting here and consequently has shamed me about a hundred times. The only person possibly more informed about anything is jeffersonlives, who is a lawyer who knows everything about politics, football, and wrestling for some reason.

He doesn't have to be mean about it. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Syd Eick

Haha you are still mad that I asked you for evidence about a claim that my own personal experience and later evidence cast doubt upon. That is precious. You really are lucky you haven't officially copyrighted your posts, the evidence is out on Mr. Eyck, but you have posted some rather lurid things about Mr. Silk in I believe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Student copy editor checking in. In newspaper writing, the ethics guidelines pretty much say that if three different people say it happened, you can print it. It's hosed up.

So if Diana Hart just got two more people to repeat her bullshit...

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Whoops, wrong thread. Thought this was the WCW thread, not the legal term information station.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Perdido posted:

To try and draw this somewhat back to the WCW Thread...Russo's comments about Hogan being a 'bald headed son of a bitch' I think did end up becoming a libel case (and were settled by Time Warner...I think?) and you could make an argument that Russo was acting with malice with his comments (although they were true, haha.) Anyone know anything more about that particular case?

A defamation lawsuit did happen between Hogan, Russo, and Time Warner, but was dismissed before trial for basically the same reasons we're discussing here.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

So how about that WCW Pro eh? What a lovely show!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Phenix Rising posted:

Whoops, wrong thread. Thought this was the WCW thread, not the legal term information station.

WCW has a proud legal history (of humiliating losses and settlements) so it is important to define these things. Otherwise we might forget the differences in the suits against them from Vince, Heyman, minorities and everyone else!

To Gonzo and Monkeys and most people I rattle sabres with on here: I don't mean to come off as much of a jerk as I have the last couple years. I used to give CC poo poo for how abrasive he would be and I've gotten more like that in the past year and a half to two years, especially in cases like this where unsubstantiated things are posted about wrestlers, and probably a bit more defensive of Vince and the WWE as well for related reasons. A couple of friends of mine had their lives ruined (one in the short term, one in the long term with her career destroyed) by Vince's media enemy, the New York Post who reported some incredibly defamatory unfounded rumors about both, as well as personal information. Not just with wrestling but in general I get a bit more pissy about people posting stuff that's (I think is) factually wrong. It's kind of a silly thing to let happen, especially about something as wrasslin' but yeah, sorry for being mean to the people who don't actually deserve it.

To get this thread back on track, here is the debut of ZODIAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-PfCYXPMdo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRanTer posted:

WCW has a proud legal history (of humiliating losses and settlements) so it is important to define these things. Otherwise we might forget the differences in the suits against them from Vince, Heyman, minorities and everyone else!

[quote]To Gonzo and Monkeys and most people I rattle sabres with on here: I don't mean to come off as much of a jerk as I have the last couple years. I used to give CC poo poo for how abrasive he would be and I've gotten more like that in the past year and a half to two years, especially in cases like this where unsubstantiated things are posted about wrestlers, and probably a bit more defensive of Vince and the WWE as well for related reasons. A couple of friends of mine had their lives ruined (one in the short term, one in the long term with her career destroyed) by Vince's media enemy, the New York Post who reported some incredibly defamatory unfounded rumors about both, as well as personal information. Not just with wrestling but in general I get a bit more pissy about people posting stuff that's (I think is) factually wrong. It's kind of a silly thing to let happen, especially about something as wrasslin' but yeah, sorry for being mean to the people who don't actually deserve it.

I have insinuated that nearly everyone on this board is a shithead at one time or another (and sometimes outright said it) so I am certainly not going to play victim here. I'd like to think most people on here could get along at a goonmeet or something (that might be wishful thinking).

MassRanTer posted:

To get this thread back on track, here is the debut of ZODIAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-PfCYXPMdo

WWE may have become lazy and boring in the last twelve years, but at least we have the Dungeon of Doom in HD.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, that certainly turned out to be one of the Master's less successful plans.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
My favorite WCW wrestler was Glacier. Who's yours?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Bard Maddox posted:

My favorite WCW wrestler was Glacier. Who's yours?

Glacier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Okay so I've questions about the Dungeon of Doom because goddamnit they make no sense to me.

a) Who's the fat old man.

b) Whoever he is he's obviously the leader, so who's the stupid little guy in red.

c) Who was in it apart from these two?

d) What's the deal with that skit where they debut the Giant where Hogan talks like he's reading from a translated Japanese script?

e) How high is Brutus in that segment