Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

The regular 3DS and the XL have the same resolution, any blurring would be present on either.

DS and virtual console games can be played in two modes; by default, they're scaled to fill the screen, which results in blurring that isn't friendly to pixel art. If you hold start/select, you can display them at the original, lower resolution for a crisper image.

Okay, then I didn't see any blurriness in the Mega Man ports. I remember some people mention Punch-Out on 3DS was harder to see on a regular 3DS, but I don't think that issue would be happening with Mega Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

The regular 3DS and the XL have the same resolution, any blurring would be present on either.

DS and virtual console games can be played in two modes; by default, they're scaled to fill the screen, which results in blurring that isn't friendly to pixel art. If you hold start/select, you can display them at the original, lower resolution for a crisper image.

This doesn't seem to be the case for NES VC releases. I think they end up just slightly blurry but enough for it to bother people like me. I really wish they would add 1:1 mode for NES releases like they have for everything else.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I just looked it up and it would seem that each 3DS screen has the same vertical resolution as the NES, so the separate modes aren't necessary for those titles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zip posted:

Is Zen pinball 2 still coming tomorrow to the U.S. or have they delayed it again? :(

We're not going to know until the update happens. NOA rarely says anything in advance, and even the dates they do announce aren't always accurate.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So I can't get on the eShop.

Yeah apparently my US Wii U tried downloading a Japanese Voucher for DQX Using Wii Points in a Japanese vWii Shop Channel and because of that I'm getting error 105-3102.

Support is no help at all, no explanation as to why its happening or what I can do, just to call them.

Guess I'm not getting Punch-Out.

So, I dunno, call them?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mighty Switch Force 2 is confirmed for a "spring" release on the 3DS eShop in NA/PAL-land, here are some new screens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86349099@N04/sets/72157633048445488/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mighty Switch Force 2 is confirmed for a "spring" release on the 3DS eShop in NA/PAL-land, here are some new screens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86349099@N04/sets/72157633048445488/

...scantily clad anime firefighter girls?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
...nevermind.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Pope Guilty posted:

...scantily clad anime firefighter girls?

Some people get freaked out by the Switch Force art style, but I can't believe for a second that these wacky anime ladies are actually intended to titillate. They're just too goofy.

Anyway, the first game was good but felt a little too short. I'm tentatively down for a sequel.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I am down for more Mighty Switch Force. I will buy and play Mighty Switch Force: Now You Are A Firefighter.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Some people get freaked out by the Switch Force art style, but I can't believe for a second that these wacky anime ladies are actually intended to titillate. They're just too goofy.

That actually makes it more weird. They're not supposed to be sexy, but they're sexualized anyway. Why can't they just be regular cute cartoon girls instead of cute T&A cartoon girls? Their games play and look great otherwise, but this is a consistent creepy thing Wayforward does.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 21, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

That actually makes it more weird. They're not supposed to be sexy, but they're sexualized anyway. Why can't they just be regular cute cartoon girls instead of cute T&A cartoon girls? The games play and look great otherwise, but this is a consistent creepy thing Wayforward does.

They're the developers. Creators are entitled to the final say in their work, unless the money they're working for says otherwise.

What I want to know is whether/how the firefighting theme will incorporate the upper screen's 3D capabilities. And if Kaufman is on music duty again.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

StevenM posted:

They're the developers. Creators are entitled to the final say in their work, unless the money they're working for says otherwise.

I didn't realize criticism was impeding on developer free speech or whatever, but okay??

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

That actually makes it more weird. They're not supposed to be sexy, but they're sexualized anyway. Why can't they just be regular cute cartoon girls instead of cute T&A cartoon girls? Their games play and look great otherwise, but this is a consistent creepy thing Wayforward does.
I do wish that Wayforward would try experimenting with characters of varying body shapes and heights and such, if only because the villain characters from Switch Force all just kind of looked like the same person with different haircuts. It doesn't get in the way of enjoying the game, but why doesn't anyone ever wanna have some fun with the design and have some actual contrast?

I hope there's a little more gravy with the game, though. The original was bare bones from a presentation and even content standpoint. It was fun, but it felt rushed.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I didn't realize criticism was impeding on developer free speech or whatever, but okay??

Good thing nobody brought up free speech at all and just pointed out how creators create for themselves or for profit, then??

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It just seems like a completely pointless thing to say as a response to a criticism. I can't think of a less substantial thing to say about anything. No poo poo they're creating for themselves/profit, the content is still up for commentary.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guys at Wayforward just kinda like kinda-weird anime-ish girls, it seems. Just look at Shantae.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Rare used to be like that, too.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Edoraz posted:

Rare used to be like that, too.

I thought Rare's idea of character design was "take a thing, stick googly eyes on it, money in the bank"?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Supercar Gautier posted:

That actually makes it more weird. They're not supposed to be sexy, but they're sexualized anyway. Why can't they just be regular cute cartoon girls instead of cute T&A cartoon girls?

That's just a style that's been around for a long time. Think of it as a Betty Boop thing--Sexualized, but not sexual.

If you want to see WayForward going full-on cheesecake, just Google some of the Double Dragon Neon ladies. Maybe wait until you're not at work, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fractured Soul has been out for a while, hasn't it? Did anyone actually buy it? How is it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 21):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - €59.99/Ł49.99
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Packet Relay Tools for Nintendo 3DS (free, out March 22)
    Need For Speed: Most Wanted U - €59.99/Ł49.99
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - €44.99/Ł39.99
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Data Transfer Program (free, out March 22)
    My Foal 3D - €29.99/Ł24.99
3DS eSHOP
    The Beet Party: Call Me Aneek Neek (video) - €0.99/Ł0.89
    HarmoKnight (demo)
DSiWARE
    Bloons TD4 - 500 Points / €4.99 / Ł4.49
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Pokedex 3D Pro (3DS eShop) - €11.99/Ł10.79 until April 4
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / Ł5.39 until March 21
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / Ł4.99 until March 24
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / Ł0.30, available until April 20
    ZombiU (Wii U Retail Download) - €34.99/Ł29.99 until April 4th
    Assassin's Creed III (Wii U Retail Download) - €29.99/Ł29.99 until April 4th
    Just Dance 4 (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/Ł19.99 until April 4th
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/Ł19.99 until April 4th
    Rabbids Land (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/Ł19.99 until April 4th
    Sports Connection (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/Ł19.99 until April 4th
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/Ł19.99 until April 4th

NA update (week of March 21):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Zen Pinball 2 (free to demo, tables sold separately)
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Path of the Warrior: Art of Fighting 3 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (March 24) - $39.99
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (March 24) - $39.99
    50 Classic Games 3d - ?
3DS eSHOP
    Lola's Math Train - $3.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Smash Brethren #2 (Eirika and Bride class, difficulty ***) - $3.00
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity DLC
  • Poke Forest Dungeon (March 24) - free until April 30
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - $5.99 until March 28
    Pokedex 3D Pro (3DS eShop) - $9.99 "for a limited time"
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30, available until April 20

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oooooo Pokedex 3D Pro is on sale... I might finally be willing to buy it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Pope Guilty posted:

So, I dunno, call them?

I did call them, no solution yet but they'll let me know via email.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long, I know I have 28 days left to get Punch-Out but I don't know how long it'll take for them to iron out this bug.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I did call them, no solution yet but they'll let me know via email.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long, I know I have 28 days left to get Punch-Out but I don't know how long it'll take for them to iron out this bug.

Well good luck! It's a really good game you're after.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Well good luck! It's a really good game you're after.

Yeah, I've played it a few times before, once on actual hardware, a few times on Animal Crossing, and I bought it on my 3DS too.

Never beaten it, but I'll probably either do it or get really close with the Wii U version.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I checked the eShop and Pokedex 3D Pro is still showing at $14.99. Has the sale not taken effect yet?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Silver Falcon posted:

I checked the eShop and Pokedex 3D Pro is still showing at $14.99. Has the sale not taken effect yet?

Starts March 22, apparently. No idea why.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pokedex sale in Europe: 12€. Pokedex sale in US: $10. Ugh.

I do find it interesting they keep giving some DLC for free for earlier adopters, first with NSMB2, then Fire Emblem, and now the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. It's a good way to get people to buy games at full price. Even though Nintendo games never go down in price anyway :haw:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 22, 2013

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Pokedex sale in Europe: 12€. Pokedex sale in US: $10. Ugh.

For those not near a currency converter, 12 euros are currently worth 15.48 US dollars.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

quote:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (March 24) - $39.99

Man, that's a pretty ok price! I wonder how much it consts in the BR eShop!
Answer: R$149.99 -> ~$75.00

What IS this bullshit regional pricing Nintendo? Explain this to me!

Also, I fiddled with the regional settings in my 3DS and I now have access to the US eShop with US prices. There is a catch to this, isn't there? There is no way it's so simple to avoid overpaying for games, right? :psyduck:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Stink Terios posted:

Man, that's a pretty ok price! I wonder how much it consts in the BR eShop!
Answer: R$149.99 -> ~$75.00

Also, I fiddled with the regional settings in my 3DS and I now have access to the US eShop with US prices. There is a catch to this, isn't there? There is no way it's so simple to avoid overpaying for games, right? :psyduck:

Last I checked, no catch. I hear people from Australia do the same thing but with the European eShop for the same reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here, have a bunch of eShop-related news:

-The Fire Emblem: Awakening demo will be out in PAL-land on March 28, ie this coming Thursday

-Capcom announced the release dates for the 3DS versions of Mega Man 4/5 in NA - April 25 for MM4, May 16 for MM5

-Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, a HD compilation of Capcom's two D&D beat-em-ups! Handled by Iron Galaxy (Darkstalkers Resurrection, Third Strike Online, Marvel Origins), out on the Wii U eShop in June, $15. (click)

-Ducktales Remastered! HD remake of Capcom's NES Ducktales game, handled by WayForward. Out on Wii U eShop "this summer", $15. (click)

-Renegade Kid (Dementium, Mutant Mudds) announced a new FPS for 3DS eShop called Cult County, no footage just yet. Apparently it's going to be episodic? Ugh.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

-Ducktales Remastered! HD remake of Capcom's NES Ducktales game, handled by WayForward. Out on Wii U eShop "this summer", $15. (click)

This looks great, but even with the effort that's clearly been put into it and the nostalgia attached, $15 seems a lot to ask in 2013 for a single-player game with only around half an hour of actual gameplay content. YMMV, of course.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

-Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, a HD compilation of Capcom's two D&D beat-em-ups! Handled by Iron Galaxy (Darkstalkers Resurrection, Third Strike Online, Marvel Origins), out on the Wii U eShop in June, $15. (click)
Holy poo poo, I hadn't heard about that at all! I used to have the compilation of these for the Saturn and they were bloody fantastic, some of the best sidescrollers ever.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

quote:

The Path of the Warrior: Art of Fighting 3 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points

One of my favorite fighting games, and nobody played it. A real shame, it's pretty good, and the best of the three Art of Fighting games. Of course, you could just get Art of Fighting Anthology for a song these days.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

This looks great, but even with the effort that's clearly been put into it and the nostalgia attached, $15 seems a lot to ask in 2013 for a single-player game with only around half an hour of actual gameplay content. YMMV, of course.

This may be a "long play" but they're still really good at the game and know the optimal paths.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Barry Convex posted:

From what we've seen of the game, the levels are actually going to be much bigger, also there are more of them. So it's probably going to have significantly more game content.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

Stink Terios posted:

I too, am using BR as my eshop region as the eShop is currently not available for my region. Can I ask what region did you change yours too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

According to this it looks like the levels have been lengthened and the bosses made more complex??