Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

BlindSite posted:

There is nothing better than a 48 year old man making funny noises while describing how to hurt people with a dutch accent.
Bas Rutten is the best part of the EA MMA game and I will fight* anyone who insists otherwise.

*curl up on the floor in the fetal position before a single blow is landed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Bas Rutten's Harley Davidson Keys to Victory
  • BING
  • BANG
  • BADDA BOP
  • hydrocodone by the God-damned handful

"Win - TKO (Bangada bangada bang)"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My favorite part of Bas Rutten is his self-defense in real life videos that you slowly realize are actually tapes describing how to attack someone without them being able to respond. Like his barfight video. "This guy might attack someone. I should probably hit him in the balls with a chair and then bada bop his head off the corner of the bar."

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-pd3ekzVr8

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bas and Chael calling fights together would be... I don't know. I think it'd be awesome but maybe it's like having all chocolate sauce no ice-cream and you'd just feel sick after?

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

LordPants posted:

Bas and Chael calling fights together would be... I don't know. I think it'd be awesome but maybe it's like having all chocolate sauce no ice-cream and you'd just feel sick after?

Just add Don Frye to the mix.

Stoven
Feb 11, 2008
Can anyone recommend some Bas fights to watch? He sounds awesome but he was before I got into it so I feel like I'm missing out.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Stoven posted:

Can anyone recommend some Bas fights to watch? He sounds awesome but he was before I got into it so I feel like I'm missing out.

On youtube there's a highlight video of him wrecking people with body shots in Pancrase. Anytime you see Rutten in budgie smugglers and knee high boots/pads expect to see someone die from a body shot or cool submission.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Stoven posted:

Bas vs Jason "Not Frank Shamrock" DeLucia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YX6Csswsk0

vs Funaki 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8neJDeiYsA

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Max Awfuls posted:

Just add Don Frye to the mix.

Drunk-rear end Bas and even drunker Don were the best MMA team on the planet. Shark Fights never stop swimming (because you'd die).

unf
Mar 6, 2004

Stoven posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNfYDKST95Y

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Stoven posted:

I thought Bas/Randleman was good, but it might not be to everyone's taste.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eat This Glob posted:

Drunk-rear end Bas and even drunker Don were the best MMA team on the planet. Shark Fights never stop swimming (because you'd die).

Wasn't there a 3rd commentator that, upon hearing Don say "that's like me going home drunk and whoopin on my old lady," went "whoa whoa whoa take it easy." ?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Stoven posted:

The highlight DVD he did commentating his Pancrase fights is entertaining enough. His second fight with Funaki and the Frank Shamrock fight are probably the best to check out.

His two fights in the UFC are worth seeing (TK and Randleman), both were controversial as hell at the time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This person wins the internet.

And then you wanna watch some Pride fights with his commentary, that was great.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
A guy was telling me about a Bas fight where he leg kicked the guy, who was visibly hur by itt, then Bas pointed at his leg, like 'oh, that hurt huh, I'm going to do it again', then head kicked him instead and KOd him

What fight was that if it actually happened? It seems like a Bas kinda thing to do.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Bas on Joe Rogan's podcast was actually interesting, if for no other reason than Joe trying to make sense of Bas and his autodidact madman grappling methods.

texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business

LordPants posted:

This person wins the internet.

And then you wanna watch some Pride fights with his commentary, that was great.

This
And this
And this
And this
And this

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bas on Joe Rogan's podcast was actually interesting, if for no other reason than Joe trying to make sense of Bas and his autodidact madman grappling methods.

The stories about him trolling ninjas and kung fu people were amazing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man that op is mad out of date.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

John Cena posted:

man that op is mad out of date.

There's a "general questions" thread that has kind of taken its place.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I understand training hard for an upcoming fight and whatnot but beating the poo poo out of each other in training and then getting knocked out of the fight/payday you are training for because of an injury like a cut seems really pointless and it seems like it happens fairly often.

Why aren't they wearing headguards/faceguards if they're going to go at it that badly during training sessions? I mean it's not going to give you the true fight experience or whatever but being able to make it to the octagon has to be better than not at all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Do headguards actually prevent knockouts? I've always thought that at best they just impair your peripheral vision, which probably leads to more concussions due to you not seeing punches coming at you.

If you don't spar hard you'll end up like Brock Lesnar, a guy with a decent chin who still crumbles the minute he gets hurt.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

1st AD posted:

Do headguards actually prevent knockouts? I've always thought that at best they just impair your peripheral vision, which probably leads to more concussions due to you not seeing punches coming at you.

Research shows that headgear blunts the impact to your head.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
e: wrong thread

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 31, 2013

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Research shows that headgear blunts the impact to your head.

Do you have a link to anything supporting that? I've only been told that headgear really just prevents cuts

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

henkman posted:

Do you have a link to anything supporting that? I've only been told that headgear really just prevents cuts

Dude just think of the physics... the headgear allows the impact to be spread out over a wider and larger surface area, therefor reducing the amount of force to any one point of impact aka BLUNTING the impact. Headgear does not prevent being knocked out, as the "majority" (don't have any sources for this) of knock outs are the result of unanticipated rotational force of the head, of which headgear does not provide much prevention against.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
So, yes?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yes, it protects you somewhat against the concussive force. That being said it's not going to stop you injuring your brain, being knocked out or CTE. It's also more designed and used in the modern fight game to stop people from getting cut.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I don't have the link to the abstract handy, but it was a study from the Cleveland Clinic. They found that headgear does a good job blunting force from in-line impacts, not so good a job with impacts caused by rotation.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
But even by adding mass to your head, it'll have more moment of inertia to resist torque impulses. Lt. Shiny Sides linked a study in the martial arts thread showing that overall, headgear did reduce acceleration from punches (and I would surmise all strikes). But striking and head trauma is far more sophisticated than just that. That said, most pros do train with headgear. Many use gloves when doing everything but fine-grained submissions.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The fact that the headgear can compress (a lot more than a skull anyway) must do something to reduce the acceleration of the head due to any given strike. That sort of leads back to the old argument about whether boxing gloves end up causing more brain damage via more repetitive low-level injury, but a single blow is surely at least somewhat less likely to knock you out when wearing head gear.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I understand training hard for an upcoming fight and whatnot but beating the poo poo out of each other in training and then getting knocked out of the fight/payday you are training for because of an injury like a cut seems really pointless and it seems like it happens fairly often.

Why aren't they wearing headguards/faceguards if they're going to go at it that badly during training sessions? I mean it's not going to give you the true fight experience or whatever but being able to make it to the octagon has to be better than not at all.

If you're talking about the Gustafsson cut, he didn't get it from a punch or a kick during a sparring session. He was doing wrestling drills and he lost his balance and hit his head on a post.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Why are 12-6 elbows banned in UFC?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

Why are 12-6 elbows banned in UFC?

Because very early on in the development of the unified rules, some of the regulators watched a karate breaking competition and decided that looked "too dangerous".

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Because very early on in the development of the unified rules, some of the regulators watched a karate breaking competition and decided that looked "too dangerous".

I thought this was a myth...:lol:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
That's the Joe Rogan version of events. According to Big John McCarthy it had to do with a doctor involved in the original NJ sanctioning discussions:

quote:

because New Jersey wasn’t comfortable with Mixed Martial Arts at the time, there were a couple of fights that went on to change things as far as what they were going to permit and not permit.

You have all these different organizations, and you have all these people with what they want to be able to do, so it’s tough to get people to agree on things. Finally, one of the things that was brought up is in one of the fights a fighter took another guy’s back and tried to sink in a choke. He couldn’t sink in the choke, so he started taking his hand and bringing it up and elbowing to the back of the guy’s head and neck.

The doctor from New Jersey had a conniption about it. He said I will never ever pass something that allows that type of strike. That could be life threatening, and he started going into his thing, and so the one elbow they took out was that elbow, that type of position. The way that they wrote it up, you could interpret it a ton of ways, but the true position they were talking about was the hand coming up to twelve o’clock to six o’clock.”

The story's pretty unclear, it kind of makes it sound like the doctor's actual concern was strikes to the back of the head/spine, and the rule mutated during discussions or was just really poorly written. To be fair, it's entirely possible that both stories are true. One doctor could have freaked out about those elbows to the back of the head and other people could have "agreed" that downward elbows were too dangerous based on seeing karate breaking.

Either way it's a fairly dumb rule. The only actual justification I can see for it is that with a true 12-6 elbow against a fighter flat on his back, the head is against the mat and can't move with the strike at all. If the elbow has a little angle on it the head can move with it a bit. But you're allowed to punch the poo poo out of a fighter from mount so I'm not sure that's meaningful.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
When a fighter is lying supine and immobile on the mat it's usually a sign that Herb Dean is about to tackle a motherfucker

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Or Mazzagatti forgot to stop the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

That's the Joe Rogan version of events. According to Big John McCarthy it had to do with a doctor involved in the original NJ sanctioning discussions:

The story's pretty unclear, it kind of makes it sound like the doctor's actual concern was strikes to the back of the head/spine, and the rule mutated during discussions or was just really poorly written. To be fair, it's entirely possible that both stories are true. One doctor could have freaked out about those elbows to the back of the head and other people could have "agreed" that downward elbows were too dangerous based on seeing karate breaking.

Either way it's a fairly dumb rule. The only actual justification I can see for it is that with a true 12-6 elbow against a fighter flat on his back, the head is against the mat and can't move with the strike at all. If the elbow has a little angle on it the head can move with it a bit. But you're allowed to punch the poo poo out of a fighter from mount so I'm not sure that's meaningful.

It's an unfortunate law that could've been covered by the "no strikes to the back of the head" rule that was brought in when the UFC was bending over to commissions etc to get the sport back into the public eye. It'd be nice if it was changed, it would certainly make ground and pound fighters more effective. It sucks it's there but you can understand why.