Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

lol internet. posted:

Do we have a Mario Kart 7 community by any chance? I wasn't able to find a thread specifically for the game.

The community is LLJK Cup - 54-2153-7224-1440, however it seem like noone has been on it for a while. The rankings reseted to 0.

SgtKirby fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolutionaut
Oct 27, 2005
The Pumpkin Ghost of Halloween Future

Saoshyant posted:

Cross posting from the eShop thread, but I'm fishing for Fractured Soul impressions. We used to talk about it on occasion before its release (it has a weird development history), but since it's been out I haven't heard anything. Did anyone actually play it?

I got it when it was on sale a couple weeks ago. It's an ok game, but nothing special. If you've played the demo, you pretty much know how most of the game plays. As you progress, you'll run into levels with different themes that affect the gameplay. For example, after you beat the first set of levels, you'll find a set where the top screen is flooded, so your movement is slowed but your jumps are higher. It changes up often enough to keep the game interesting as you play through, though you shouldn't expect to see many new enemies introduced. There are also a few not especially interesting shoot em up levels.

You're given a score out of five stars when you beat a level based on whether you beat the par time, found all of the secrets (which are sometimes hidden out of the way and sometimes in plain view), and got to the end without taking damage. There are online leaderboards for quickest completion and quickest 5 star completion, and you can view the times for the general public or just your friends who have the game. There is a set of bonus levels which are unlocked as your star count increases.

You'll obviously get the most value out of the game if you want to 5 star every level or compete for spots on the leaderboard, but personally I wasn't interested. The player character moves really slowly, so I found it frustrating repeating the levels trying to get good times. There's no interesting combat in the game. The design of the space station stays pretty much the same throughout the course of the game, so the bottom screen will show you the same boring gray hallways the whole game and the top screen will show you the gray hallways with snow on the floor or whatever. There's no 3D, if that matters to you. It took me about three and a half hours to play through the game without worrying about scores. Decent challenge. If I hadn't bought it on sale, I'd definitely be disappointed with what I got for what I paid, so if you weren't really excited by the demo I'd stay away.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dehry posted:

As someone who can see 3D, I leave it off because you have to strain your eyes to see the 3D. I'll look at it for a bit because it's like I'm looking in a box with the action going on, but it's not fun to play in 3D for long periods of time. Especially if you are switching from the 3D screen to a tablet or e-Reader to check a guide.

It sounds like you're not actually that good at picking it up, most people adapt to switching between the top 3D to the bottom 2D really quickly; a couple of weeks should be enough. After a while you'll be able to see it just by looking over somebody's shoulder or from the side (past the inversion point) as somebody else is playing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I don't find the 3D stressful at all, but I do sometimes turn it off because I can't always hold the 3DS at the right angle while playing. Starfox 64 I mostly play in 2D for that reason.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I rarely turn on 3D. Seems pretty gimmicky. I could of lived without it as a feature for 3DS.

Even in Super Mario Land 3D I don't use it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I only use the 3D in games where it adds something, like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, or Kid Icarus.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Artix posted:

Unfortunately, the 3DS doesn't have enough buttons to do a straight N64 VC. If you mapped everything directly (ie A to A), you'd have two unused buttons (X and Y), and five buttons left from the N64 (Z and the C buttons). You'd basically auve to customize the controls for every single game.

I think it's kind of a requirement anyway, because direct mapping for controls that had shapes as unique as the N64 won't work anyway, even if the 3DS had dual sticks and four shoulder buttons. A good example is the Gamecube re-release of Ocarina of Time. It used the C-stick as a replacement for the C-buttons and it mostly worked. I think it also used L for the Z-button instead of the Gamecube's Z button, which was smart. All in all it worked well, but different games are going to have different buttons mapped to X and Y. In Ocarina of Time I don't want X or Y mapped to C-Up because that's Navi. In Smash Brothers it's fine because the C buttons are all "jump."

I remember on the Wii when the VC first came out and people were trying to use Gamecube controllers to play VC titles and it was all direct mappings which really made no sense. You'd be playing Super Mario World and the red B button would be the SNES's B button, and the Y button also directly correlated so running and jumping become really awkward.

Point is, I'd rather whatever VC titles the 3DS gets to not default to direct-mapping, or at least allow for reconfigurable controls. It makes me think of fan-made emulators for the DS that didn't feature remappable controls and so required you to use B and A on the DS the same way they were ordered on the NES. A lot less comfortable.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
It's called the Nintendeo 3DS. Why on earth would you play a game NOT in 3D?? That's the whole point!

Excluding people who simply can't see 3D or it causes headaches, I really don't see the detriment to using it. Even a game like EO4 where 3D absolutely doesn't add anything to gameplay, it's still a neat effect to have the window panes at different depths. In some games yes, it is a gimmick, but it's still a cool gimmick - that's the 3DS in a nutshell. Why not just stick with a DS if you don't even want to bother with 3D?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TollTheHounds posted:

It's called the Nintendeo 3DS. Why on earth would you play a game NOT in 3D?? That's the whole point!

Excluding people who simply can't see 3D or it causes headaches, I really don't see the detriment to using it. Even a game like EO4 where 3D absolutely doesn't add anything to gameplay, it's still a neat effect to have the window panes at different depths. In some games yes, it is a gimmick, but it's still a cool gimmick - that's the 3DS in a nutshell. Why not just stick with a DS if you don't even want to bother with 3D?

...Because the DS doesn't play 3DS games? That's like asking "If you don't want to use motion control, why not just stick with the Gamecube?"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TollTheHounds posted:

Because the image quality is noticeably worse when the 3D is on, and because battery life is far more important to me than a visual effect anyway.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
The 3D effect is a bit harder to maintain with the XL compared to the old design so I only throw it on when I'm able to be still. I was really surprised by how easy it was to capture the 3D effect on the older design compared to the XL.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

TollTheHounds posted:

Why not just stick with a DS if you don't even want to bother with 3D?

The same question many a confused parent asked themselves, shortly before having trouble fitting a Super Mario 3D Land cartridge into their child's DSlite.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The 3D effects look really drat nice on OOT, but I keep it off for the gyroscopic bow aiming. And also for the battery life. Also 3D effects give me a major headache, even if they work.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

One thing I will say is that I've found the 3D effect to be very useful in the underwater areas in Monster Hunter. It can sometimes be hard to tell how far away some of the monsters are without the ground as a frame of reference, and the first time I fought something underwater I was surprised at how easy the 3D effect made it for me to land attacks.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I always keep the 3D on my 3DS and have never had an issue with losing view constantly, headaches, trouble focusing, etc. In general it always just seems to make everything look nicer to me. I remember the first time I turned 3D off on Ghost Recon and thought: "Holy poo poo this is such a loving ugly game, even if it was on the DS." Then again I also recall the first game I played was Samurai Warriors Chronicles and I was tempted to wipe off the top screen every time it did the dirty screen effect for telling the history stuff.

Except for Pilot Wings. I recall trying to play the game with 3D on all the way at the store and thought I was going to die. Even at 50% I feared for my life. I seem to recall some goons saying long ago that they never could get the 3D all the way up on that game... so something was just screwed up with how they did everything in that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ahhhhh I guess I have to have Luigi's Mansion 2

Destructoid posted:

In many ways, Dark Moon's ScareScraper is one of the best multiplayer modes I've ever played. There's so much variety to it, and the formula of combining the cooperative nature with competitive, playful elements is genius.

Whether or not you want to do a quick Normal five-floor Hunter playthrough for a bus trip, or a buckle down for a 25-floor (or endless) Expert run with three other experienced ghost hunters is entirely up to you. The more people you bring, the more varied the level will be.

Curses, randomly generated elements, and other hazards keep things interesting and fun, helping to ensure that you have a different experience every time. You can also earn cash in multiplayer to apply towards your main game, and earn competitive MVP awards for bragging rights during each round. The action is fluid, and never drops its framerate in any noticeable manner even with multiple players in the same room.

One of my favorite subtle elements in multiplayer is the ability to ping anywhere on the map with a quick tap. Even with a lack of voice chat, I was able to tell my partners exactly where to go with a fast real-time finger tap while fighting off some ghosts. It takes advantage of the 3DS hardware in a great way without resorting to forced, hamfisted design.
Having to unlock is it kinda goofy but I'm assuming it's unlocked early in the game???

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

TollTheHounds posted:

Kills the battery life too fast. I don't think it looks much better in 3D mode and as someone else mentioned, it is quite irritating sometimes. Playing it in 3D vs no 3D doesn't make the game more or less funner.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Luigis Mansion 2 QL up on Giantbomb. It's everything I ever hoped for.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-luigi-s-mansion-dark-moon/2300-7171/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ahhhhh I guess I have to have Luigi's Mansion 2

Having to unlock is it kinda goofy but I'm assuming it's unlocked early in the game???

It is unlocked really early on, yes. You basically have to do the tutorial stages (Poltergust, Darklight, ect) and then you can access it.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Luigi's Mansion has its very own thread! Hooray!

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 21, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just switched back to contact lenses after a few years of glasses, and the 3D effect is much better for me now.

How necessary is the addon stick for Monster Hunter?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I am being told that if I buy a game on the e-shop, I can re-download it to additional SD cards, and that by giving someone else that card they can play the game on their system. I was under the impression that the download on the SD card is tied to a specific 3DS and so this would not work.

Would such a thing be possible, or are the files indeed tied to the system?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Oh man I just tried the Harmoknight demo and it's super fun. Definitely a day 1 purchase..that is if I can tear myself away from Luigi's Mansion :ohdear:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Machai posted:

I am being told that if I buy a game on the e-shop, I can re-download it to additional SD cards, and that by giving someone else that card they can play the game on their system. I was under the impression that the download on the SD card is tied to a specific 3DS and so this would not work.

It's locked to a single system. There's a way to transfer the lock to a different system, but you can't have it over two systems.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Machai posted:

You do realize that if that was possible, Nintendo would just be opening themselves to super easy piracy right?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I got my copy of Mario 3D Land used and while I can tell that pressing up or down on the D-pad changes something, I can't quite tell what. Apparently it changes depth? Can anybody explain?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

It changes the 3D from being pop-out to pop..in? I liked the default one so I just left it on that.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
So I checked both the 3DS and Wii U filters and found no thread for the new monster hunter. What time is it being released in theE-shop?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Necroneocon posted:

So I checked both the 3DS and Wii U filters and found no thread for the new monster hunter. What time is it being released in theE-shop?

You want this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538945

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Thanks!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pope Guilty posted:

I got my copy of Mario 3D Land used and while I can tell that pressing up or down on the D-pad changes something, I can't quite tell what. Apparently it changes depth? Can anybody explain?

It changes the way depth is figured by changing where the focus of the camera is, the point where the left and right view meet. From what I recall one mode focuses more on Mario as a reference point, and the "deeper" one lets Mario move freely so he can come out of the screen or go further in.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

moths posted:

I just switched back to contact lenses after a few years of glasses, and the 3D effect is much better for me now.

How necessary is the addon stick for Monster Hunter?

You can download a demo from the Eshop. I thought it controlled fine, but download that before so you can have a hands on experience and see if it works for you.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Chronojam posted:

It changes the way depth is figured by changing where the focus of the camera is, the point where the left and right view meet. From what I recall one mode focuses more on Mario as a reference point, and the "deeper" one lets Mario move freely so he can come out of the screen or go further in.

Yeah, I think it's something like this. One for sure has Mario at the center so he's neither sticking out or sinking in, whereas the other has a diorama effect where the whole stage is "behind" the screen.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

You can download a demo from the Eshop. I thought it controlled fine, but download that before so you can have a hands on experience and see if it works for you.

Doesn't the demo specifically not support the Circle Pad Pro, though? Or am I thinking of another game?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Laser Spider posted:

Doesn't the demo specifically not support the Circle Pad Pro, though? Or am I thinking of another game?

He would try the demo to see if he was okay with the default controls, to determine if he would need to buy a CPP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pope Guilty posted:

In layman's terms; it switches between looking like it's all coming out of the screen at you, and looking like it's all happening inside of a box.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Laser Spider posted:

You`re right in that it specifically doesn`t support the Circle Pad Pro, but if you`re not sure about whether you need it or not you can try it without to see how it handles.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I tried the MH demo but just couldn't get over the camera controls. My hand cramped up seriously badly when I finished the first demo quest. Buying a huge clunky peripheral for a game that has no native online support I just can't get behind :ohdear:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Thanks, everybody, that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

they've got Wind Waker HD and the new Legend of Zelda coming this year

What on Earth makes you think the new Zelda is coming this year?

• Locked thread