Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
How many times do you think that idea of purposely carbon freezing yourself to sneak into a place has occured in the extended universe?

My money's on 30 to 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Dan Didio posted:

How many times do you think that idea of purposely carbon freezing yourself to sneak into a place has occured in the extended universe?

My money's on 30 to 40.

The whole idea needs to be crushed like a moon crushes a wookie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Of course carbon freezing is common. I put my action figures into carbon freeze all the time as a kid. (Fill a cup with water, put them in, put in freezer, thaw out with room-temp water.)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are the Hutts (or whatever their species are called) always mobsters in the EU? That's kinda racist. At least the Twi'lek have been shown to be Jedis, politicians and other things.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Are the Hutts (or whatever their species are called) always mobsters in the EU? That's kinda racist. At least the Twi'lek have been shown to be Jedis, politicians and other things.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

This makes so little sense it hurts my brain.

Would a Rancor Jedi still use a human-sized lightsaber? Probably.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Rocket Ace posted:

This makes so little sense it hurts my brain.

Would a Rancor Jedi still use a human-sized lightsaber? Probably.

Nope, they would use a lightclub. :shepface:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightclub

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I didn't even see that as different weapon from a lightsaber when I played Jedi Knight.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Well, after the way Jedi fought in the prequels I guess the next logical step is fighting while looking away from your opponent.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Srice posted:

Well, after the way Jedi fought in the prequels I guess the next logical step is fighting while looking away from your opponent.

That sounds like something an old master in a kung fu movie does, which started me thinking.

You know, my opinion on the fight choreography in the prequels has really come around, even in light of spinnylightsabers.gif. With the Jedi-on-Jedi duels, they were really reaching for the feel of two people who can predict each other's moves and read one another's minds locked in combat with a weapon that can kill with a touch, whether they achieved it or not. It's an interesting departure from the original trilogy, where we never see two masters of the weapon in their prime fight it out- the only duels to speak of are between an old man and an old man in an iron lung, and an old man in an iron lung and an inexperienced neophyte. The only serious miscalculation is their general overuse, and the Yoda duel.

We see lots of instances of the lightsabers being used against droids and opponents who are not prepared to deal with a skilled lightsaber duelist- Jango Fett is instantly decapitated and the droids go instantly. People like to rag on Lucas' comments that they were supposed be nonthreatening or whatever but I think he was trying to make a point with it, but ultimately lacked the conviction to depict his best selling toys as sufficiently morally ambiguous, even though watching the films with an adult perspective makes it pretty clear that the Jedi are evil and that Palpatine has a seductive argument, even if his plan is incoherent and he's a cackling evil wizard in a black robe.

People are missing what he was going for- the Jedi are the villains. An army of these guys who can wade through your high-tech laser fire and dice up you and your comrades without breaking a sweat is terrifying.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

FigurativelyHitler posted:

That sounds like something an old master in a kung fu movie does, which started me thinking.

You know, my opinion on the fight choreography in the prequels has really come around, even in light of spinnylightsabers.gif. With the Jedi-on-Jedi duels, they were really reaching for the feel of two people who can predict each other's moves and read one another's minds locked in combat with a weapon that can kill with a touch, whether they achieved it or not. It's an interesting departure from the original trilogy, where we never see two masters of the weapon in their prime fight it out- the only duels to speak of are between an old man and an old man in an iron lung, and an old man in an iron lung and an inexperienced neophyte. The only serious miscalculation is their general overuse, and the Yoda duel.

We see lots of instances of the lightsabers being used against droids and opponents who are not prepared to deal with a skilled lightsaber duelist- Jango Fett is instantly decapitated and the droids go instantly. People like to rag on Lucas' comments that they were supposed be nonthreatening or whatever but I think he was trying to make a point with it, but ultimately lacked the conviction to depict his best selling toys as sufficiently morally ambiguous, even though watching the films with an adult perspective makes it pretty clear that the Jedi are evil and that Palpatine has a seductive argument, even if his plan is incoherent and he's a cackling evil wizard in a black robe.

People are missing what he was going for- the Jedi are the villains. An army of these guys who can wade through your high-tech laser fire and dice up you and your comrades without breaking a sweat is terrifying.

I disagree.

edit: Also, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This trailer for The Old Republic actually have my favourite lightsaber combat, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOLANti8UCY

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FigurativelyHitler posted:

It's an interesting departure from the original trilogy, where we never see two masters of the weapon in their prime fight it out- the only duels to speak of are between an old man and an old man in an iron lung, and an old man in an iron lung and an inexperienced neophyte.

Whereas in the prequels you have and old man and a midget, another old man and the same midget, one of the old men that dueled with the midget and two inexperienced neophyte and finally an old man and Sam Jackson.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I hope they don't have lightsabers or they break or something.
So the Jedi just punch each other instead. With Force Punches.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I hope they don't have lightsabers or they break or something.
So the Jedi just punch each other instead. With Force Punches.

Mace Windu Force-punched a whole lot of droids in one of Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars animations.

What's that martial arts they have in Star Wars? Did they ever show anyone using that in a movie or cartoon?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That would be Teras Kasi, the subject of a video game.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Dan Didio posted:

My money's on 30 to 40.

It must be easy to play the stock market in Star Wars.

They do use money, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

stawk Archer posted:

It must be easy to play the stock market in Star Wars.

They do use money, right?

Yeah, they mention credits a lot. PTM even has a plotline where Qui-Gon's ~space money~ is no good on Tatooine.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jesus, that loving game.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Srice posted:

After all these years I find out that the backstab spam in Jedi Knight II multiplayer was canon after all!*

* for those who didn't play JKII, the most popular saber technique used in multiplayer was running assfirst into your opponent while mashing attack button - if someone was behind you while you did that, you'd make a blind stab behind your back, killing your opponent in one, unblockable hit.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

What's that martial arts they have in Star Wars? Did they ever show anyone using that in a movie or cartoon?

Kotor 2 had an entire character and subplot based on a Space-Buddhism Monastery only all women instead of all men and they spar naked for a whole lot of totally legitimate :techno::hf::catholic: reasons.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Uh, excuse me, but I think you mean Teräs Käsi. :rolleyes:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Arschlochkind posted:

Uh, excuse me, but I think you mean Teräs Käsi. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I just didn't feel like opening up Character Map.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

verybad posted:

After all these years I find out that the backstab spam in Jedi Knight II multiplayer was canon after all!*

* for those who didn't play JKII, the most popular saber technique used in multiplayer was running assfirst into your opponent while mashing attack button - if someone was behind you while you did that, you'd make a blind stab behind your back, killing your opponent in one, unblockable hit.

Oh my god that was amazing. In the games I played it was always a game of "Force Jump and land just in front of an opponent, facing away, and do the backward strike" so it became this crazy exercise in spacing, since with Force Jump you could jump really high and far: You'd be jockeying with another dude for a jumping position advantage - tens of yards away. Hilarious.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Kotor 2 had an entire character and subplot based on a Space-Buddhism Monastery only all women instead of all men and they spar naked for a whole lot of totally legitimate :techno::hf::catholic: reasons.
If I recall correctly, you could even bone down on the Space Buddhist companion, foeshadowing Mass Effects' romance stuff years ahead.

That TPM video ... geez. Once it's pointed out, it really does look like they have no interest in hitting each other.

Internet sites are now reporting that Zack Snyder isn't making a seven samurai-inspired Star Wars film. This is actually awful news, as that could be a cool movie and a big chance to launch other movies from.

well why not fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 29, 2013

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

The MSJ posted:

This trailer for The Old Republic actually have my favourite lightsaber combat, actually.

The sublime magnificence of this trailer is almost persuading me to return to the game despite experiencing it's shitness first hand for several months.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
You know, going back over all the things I've read and watched in my time, I have to wonder how a non-Lucas battle between two masters of the Force would play out. In the Thrawn trilogy, Luke finds out that a dark Jedi managed to get to Dagobah and assumes that Yoda took care of business and the stain of the guy's death was what made the cave such a font of Dark Side-y power. In Episode III, though, we get lightsabers and throwing things at each other when Yoda confronts Palpatine. I would have assumed that, having moved beyond physical weapons, they'd be battling on a completely separate plane of perception or something, or even with the natural forces of reality.

On another note, I really dug the whole Clone Wars series. It was actually pretty good, even if the writing suffered and the whole series seemed out of order sometimes. Padme's "uncle" dies in one season but is alive and well in the next. Go figure. Still, Darth Maul came into it toward the end and had an interesting story arc.

well why not posted:

If I recall correctly, you could even bone down on the Space Buddhist companion, foeshadowing Mass Effects' romance stuff years ahead.

Yes, you could 'romance' Handmaiden, though the only payoff of the influence system was that you could unlock backstory and make two of the three love interests into Jedi (the third already being a Sith). You could also call Handmaiden on her naked fighting bullshit by saying that if you don't fight while being encumbered, you'll be weaker in the long run. She sees the point immediately.

quote:

Internet sites are now reporting that Zack Snyder isn't making a seven samurai-inspired Star Wars film. This is actually awful news, as that could be a cool movie and a big chance to launch other movies from.

There was an episode of Clone Wars that was exactly that. Our three main Jedi characters fight with 4 bounty hunters to defend a village from the droid army. One of the hunters was basically a samurai himself, in appearance at least.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 31, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vicissitude posted:

On another note, I really dug the whole Clone Wars series. It was actually pretty good, even if the writing suffered and the whole series seemed out of order sometimes. Padme's "uncle" dies in one season but is alive and well in the next. Go figure. Still, Darth Maul came into it toward the end and had an interesting story arc.

The Clone Wars series is explicitly out of chronological order sometimes. It's so they could expand on popular stories (ie. Echo,Fives and their squad) and to stop spergy nerds trying to construct a precise chronology of the Clone Wars and complain about continuity being broken because people are doing too many things over the 3 years.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

The MSJ posted:

The thing I loved about this trailer is this is essentially what we would have loved to see from Vaders raid on the Jedi Temple. Not just him killing kiddos.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

I would have assumed that, having moved beyond physical weapons, they'd be battling on a completely separate plane of perception or something, or even with the natural forces of reality.

The problem with battles on separate planes of perception that is that cinematically it would basically look like two guys staring at each other and going "HNNNNNNGH" until one of them falls over.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vintimus Prime posted:

The thing I loved about this trailer is this is essentially what we would have loved to see from Vaders raid on the Jedi Temple. Not just him killing kiddos.

The Old Republic trailers had the version of lightsaber fighting I prefer the most (RLM points about what a fight scene is actually about taking primacy of course). It's just the right combination of martial arts with superhuman agility and power that you can believe that's how people in that universe with those powers would fight.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vicissitude posted:

I would have assumed that, having moved beyond physical weapons, they'd be battling on a completely separate plane of perception or something, or even with the natural forces of reality.

So it would be the first part of the Dooko-Yoda fight, which is about as bad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Clipperton posted:

The problem with battles on separate planes of perception that is that cinematically it would basically look like two guys staring at each other and going "HNNNNNNGH" until one of them falls over.

Maybe if you're really uncreative and bad and making films, I guess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Clipperton posted:

Man, if only someone, somewhere, might have the sort of creativity to represent this in an interesting way. Nope, not possible, it's never going to happen.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe it would look like Sherlock Holmes 2, which culminates in a functionally-telepathic exchange in which Holmes and Moriarty review all probable outcomes of their fight before they have it.

I am not sure I would recommend this for Star Wars, but hey.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe it would look like Sherlock Holmes 2, which culminates in a functionally-telepathic exchange in which Holmes and Moriarty review all probable outcomes of their fight before they have it.

I am not sure I would recommend this for Star Wars, but hey.

Hero also had a well-done fight scene like this.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It should be like the ending battle from Scanners, complete with body horror.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Clipperton posted:

The entire fight between Yoda and Dooku is completely loving ridiculous. The wisest, most powerful Jedi in the galaxy vs. a Sith apprentice, and it's a loving draw? Really? :argh: Man we need a "gently caress GEORGE LUCAS" smiley, maybe a Yoda shedding a tear or something.

What we SHOULD have seen:

Yoda completely dominates Dooku with the Force, casually tossing aside his lightning bolts and hurling him around the room like a bitch. As soon as Dooku realizes he can't win with the Force he pulls out his lightsaber. Yoda pulls out 5, throws them into the air and closes his eyes. All 5 ignite and start kicking Dooku's rear end, and in utter desperation for his life he pulls that pillar down on top of Anakin and Obi-Wan. Yoda now has a split-second choice, save his friends or kill the bad guy. We know which he will choose, Dooku scurries away, and look what this does:

1)establishes Yoda is the baddest dude in any room he walks in, which gives us even more reason to be amazed by the Emperor fairly easily defeating him
2)makes it less completely loving ridiculous that Anakin can defeat a dude who fought Yoda to a lovely, stupid draw
3)puts much more... I don't know what word to use here.. emphasis? on why Yoda so desperately wants Luke to stay on Dagobah and finish his training to kill the bad buy before going to help his friends, as Yoda's made this same choice before and it gave the galaxy to the Dark Side (Oh poo poo that MAKES IT RHYME)
4)fulfills a fantasy I've had for ~20 years of seeing THE Jedi master whoop some rear end

But nope. SKIP FLIP HOP SCREAM oh look a loving apprentice has fought me to a draw. Well now it's not surprising in the least that his master whipped my rear end and sent me crawling out a garbage chute to go hide in a swamp.

It's like George Lucas never watched or cared or thought about anything in his own movies. :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

It's like George Lucas never watched or cared or thought about anything in his own movies. :(

God that's a lot of sperg. Even taking the Prequels at their terrible face value, Dooku isn't some random Sith Apprentice. It's explicitly stated in Clones that he used to be a (pretty powerful) Jedi and Dooku points out that Yoda trained him and he trained Qui Gon.

The problem isn't that he fights Yoda to a standstill, the problem is that Yoda even turning on a lightsabre completely contradicts and ruins everything about the character that we get from Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yoda having once been preoccupied with worldly affairs and unenlightened is not a bad idea, and depicting him as a formidable warrior in the prequels is a good way to express that concept (though the way he fought was also silly). What it actually contradicts is his characterization elsewhere in the prequels, where he's still shown to be serene and spiritual.

• Locked thread