Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Wezlar posted:

I don't really know how videogames are written but I don't really understand why adding more writers is a goal? Like if I was crowdfunding a novel I wouldn't want chapters written by someone completely different.

This game is a sequel to what many believe to be the best written game ever made, more or less, so writers are important in this instance in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

BenRGamer posted:

This game is a sequel to what many believe to be the best written game ever made, more or less, so writers are important in this instance in particular.

What I mean is.. why MORE writers. Are having more different people writing this game going to make it have a more coherent voice/narrative or are they just going to muddle it up? What are these people bringing to the table?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

A video game has very little in common with a novel.

More writers means more content, more variety and more lore. When you're writing unique quests and characters, it doesn't really matter if they all come from the same creative vision of a single auteur.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Presumably he'd be responsible for a quest chain or a small area. I'm not a fan of his novels by any means but he does have a good writing style, I think. I also had a kneejerk reaction against it but I bet in the end his contribution will either fit in so that you won't notice or will be noticeably good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mozi posted:

Presumably he'd be responsible for a quest chain or a small area. I'm not a fan of his novels by any means but he does have a good writing style, I think. I also had a kneejerk reaction against it but I bet in the end his contribution will either fit in so that you won't notice or will be noticeably good.
Yeah, Brother None works at InXile, and he said:

Brother None posted:

Patrick will probably be writing together with a level designer who does the actual design stuff, so he can focus on writing dialog. We've done similar things with Wasteland.

Seven or eight writers is by no means a lot for a game of this scope, and several of them will not be able to write full-time (Brian, George, Pat) which should provide additional context to the number. We also work with a strong editorial oversight from core team people (Colin, Adam, Ray) and design is often reviewed and revised to fit the tone.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Wezlar posted:

What I mean is.. why MORE writers. Are having more different people writing this game going to make it have a more coherent voice/narrative or are they just going to muddle it up? What are these people bringing to the table?

Different characters sometimes need their own unique voice.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The game's already met its goal so withdrawing my support does nothing but make rothfuss less likely. I can still buy it retail without losing out on anything. But I sure hope they don't put him on romance script duty.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Wezlar posted:

I don't really know how videogames are written but I don't really understand why adding more writers is a goal? Like if I was crowdfunding a novel I wouldn't want chapters written by someone completely different.
RPGs in general tend to have a plethora of writers (as opposed to, say, that Call of Duty game that was supposedly all just the one hollywood screenwriter), because it is a lot of work. It tends to be divvied up by area and / or character, to keep things coherent (so you had different companions in Fallout: New Vegas who were the purview of specific designers, for example). It also avoids Kevin Smith syndrome in which all the characters speak with the same voice and have very similar points of view. Even the original PS:T gets tagged as the Chris Avellone Show (and by all accounts it was his brainchild) but the game had 8 designers in total.

Speaking of PS:T, check out how baller the voice cast was. I wonder how much they had to pay to get fuckin' Homer Simpson in the studio.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 22, 2013

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BenRGamer posted:

Well, I mentioned the issue with Pat Rothfuss on the Kickstarter comment section where some people have withdrawn their money over that, and Colin McComb had this to say

I agree with Colin there.

Seriously, people literally withdrawing their funding because a writer they don't like might get to write a few sidequests? What the gently caress? :psyduck:

Not liking him is fine, but withdrawing your support over the fact that he might, if the funding gets high enough, contribute a small amount to the game? Seriously? This isn't like Orson Scott Card where he's gonna use the money to promote awful causes or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wezlar posted:

Think of it this way; it means a bunch more minor characters are now able to have enough time dedicated to writing them that they can be fully-fleshed-out characters with backstory and interaction rather than cookie-cutter cliches banged out thoughtlessly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Humans Must Answer, a shmup led by two developers from STALKER. It has a small goal (£5000) and a demo that you should check out. £5 gets you the full game.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Kenshin posted:

I agree with Colin there.

Seriously, people literally withdrawing their funding because a writer they don't like might get to write a few sidequests? What the gently caress? :psyduck:

Not liking him is fine, but withdrawing your support over the fact that he might, if the funding gets high enough, contribute a small amount to the game? Seriously? This isn't like Orson Scott Card where he's gonna use the money to promote awful causes or something.

As I previously pointed out, the game is well past its goal already. The only use of money now is achieving stretch goals. I previously contributed enough to get the game, but now I'd rather it not achieve a particular stretch goal. The game is guaranteed to meet its goal now and I can just buy it at retail. No need to break out the psyduck emoticons, weird dude.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/unboxing-shipping-update-and-faq/

Oculus posted an unboxing video / shiping update. The Dev Kit looks very polished.

They are starting shipping in waves on the 29th. Can't wait for me!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Saoshyant posted:

Humans Must Answer, a shmup led by two developers from STALKER. It has a small goal (£5000) and a demo that you should check out. £5 gets you the full game.
Wow, that looks really good.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BenRGamer posted:

Well, I mentioned the issue with Pat Rothfuss on the Kickstarter comment section where some people have withdrawn their money over that, and Colin McComb had this to say

I'm not a big fan of Rothfuss' writing after the second book, but withdrawing money because he writes some stuff? That's pretty petty. Of course, overall it will bring them more money because for all his writing flaws Rothfuss has a huge and really committed group of fans.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's not actually withdrawing anything, though?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There was a video on the last page where Pat interviewed Tycho, Colin and Veronica, and it seemed to imply he's mostly going to be called in for writing a side-quest at best, not a main writer, possibly enhance the dialog of some NPC's.

He's a pretty huge fan of Torment though, and really seemed to want to learn how to write dialog for games and how that is different from writing books.

But he is a huge grognard.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I somehow missed that the Homeworld kickstarter existed, but I know now and it scares the poo poo out of me. On the one hand, gently caress yeah, Homeworld rereleases with modern graphics. On the other hand, I don't think I could ever play a game called Homeworld 3 and not be disappointed. Kickstarter, fulfilling dreams while crushing the poo poo out of your childhood.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm kinda digging this. It's kinda like Gary's Mod meets Minecraft and its tech-based mods:

Build A World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNImu3n2_Go

quote:

Build A World combines the most beautiful graphics you could imagine with a sandbox construction game. You enter a brand new world with modern tools and with the ability to make modern machines, buildings and other constructions. An online game run by the new BAW engine. It's a modern game in a modern world.

The world comes ready with a huge amount of natural resources for you to find and collect: iron, rock, sand, copper, gold, coal, bauxite etc.

Your job as a world builder is to refine and manufacture these resources into building materials like wood, concrete, bricks, asphalt, steel, glass etc. for machines, houses and any other sorts of constructions, you can imagine.

Some of these machines and constructions already exist as blueprints in the game, and just need to be assembled, but a lot is up to your imagination. Can you build the next World Wonder?
I just think that they might have more luck if they lowered the initial pledge to 10 pounds, as 25 pounds is quite a bit for a (nicelooking) Minecraft clone.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Orv posted:

I somehow missed that the Homeworld kickstarter existed, but I know now and it scares the poo poo out of me. On the one hand, gently caress yeah, Homeworld rereleases with modern graphics. On the other hand, I don't think I could ever play a game called Homeworld 3 and not be disappointed. Kickstarter, fulfilling dreams while crushing the poo poo out of your childhood.
Trying to make a Homeworld game on a 50.000 dollar budget (which is apprently mostly to secure the IP), and where the PC game only comes after some tablet nonsense is not worth considering as a serious thing.

It's a pipe dream.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Consortium people answered my questions about their story/action system and the whole non-lethal combat system and they seem like pretty good guys so go support them y'all.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shalinor posted:

That it does. I cracked a smile when they zoomed back and it dropped into good ol' classic hex display. I used to love Panzer General, and the rest of those old great SSI strategy games - this really does look like that, but modern.

Well boy howdy, then I've got great news for you! A company is making games that are pretty much exactly like Panzer General, except made for modern machines. Now you can relive those memories while you wait for this Kickstarter to finish!

http://www.slitherine.com/games/panzer_corps_pc

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

There was a video on the last page where Pat interviewed Tycho, Colin and Veronica, and it seemed to imply he's mostly going to be called in for writing a side-quest at best, not a main writer, possibly enhance the dialog of some NPC's.

He's a pretty huge fan of Torment though, and really seemed to want to learn how to write dialog for games and how that is different from writing books.

But he is a huge grognard.
Thanks for allaying my fears! I figured I was being a bit sensationalist considering removing my pledge over his inclusion, didn't think about how a new addition isn't likely to do more than just sidequests/NPC's (and for those I have confidence in his abilities at least).

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Saoshyant posted:

This seems really neat!
The graphics look like some UK Amiga artist travelled 15 years into the future - "All the colors! All at the same time! Red and green and blue and yellow, NOW!"

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
If people are withdrawing funding because they don't like the works of one minor author for a few sidequests or a character, their faith in the project and its leads and development team must have been pretty bad to begin with.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Hey idiots like me who were discouraged by Rothfuss, put all of your money back in because the $3.5 million stretch goal is motherfucking Chris Avellone! With Chris designing and writing a whole new Companion as well! I am now completely over the previous update.

Also, I think this was addressed specifically to us idiots:

quote:

A few of you have asked whether we're bringing too many writers on the project. Will it be difficult to manage? How will they all agree? Rest assured that more writers only helps us. Colin is in charge of the overall story, and will define the constraints required for each area to connect with the larger story. Each writer will then have one or more specific areas (and/or companions in some cases) to flesh out. There will be considerable creative freedom, especially for areas that are less central to the core storyline, but the result will be a cohesive whole.

We’re also developing conventions that all writers will follow, ensuring consistency in design and also how the Ninth World setting is conveyed. These will include writing style conventions, though not any so rigid as to constrain each writer’s talents.

The result is a very modular design, with a single creative lead to make sure everything ties together (and having Chris Avellone review the creative elements will only strengthen the vision). Managing a team of writers is how many story-driven RPGs are made, including Planescape™: Torment. Chris Avellone was the lead on PS:T, but there were seven designers working with him to make the game as deep and rich as it was. We’ll be following the same approach on Torment, as well as having Ray Vallese as a dedicated editor to further bolster consistency.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Urdnot Fire posted:

Hey idiots like me who were discouraged by Rothfuss, put all of your money back in because the $3.5 million stretch goal is motherfucking Chris Avellone! With Chris designing and writing a whole new Companion as well! I am now completely over the previous update.

hahahaahhahahahha

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
WL2, P:E, Torment, misc. Obsidian work... Yep, Avellone is gonna die for real this time.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

AG3 posted:

WL2, P:E, Torment, misc. Obsidian work... Yep, Avellone is gonna die for real this time.
Based on the past tense used in the update, it sounds like his WL2 involvement has come to an end. So the main issue would be P:E vs Torment, and that was apparently a solvable problem.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

GhostBoy posted:

Based on the past tense used in the update, it sounds like his WL2 involvement has come to an end. So the main issue would be P:E vs Torment, and that was apparently a solvable problem.

Don't forget shooting the pitch video for his next Kickstarter! :v:

But eh, this stretch goal sounds like his involvement won't be too deep anyway - more like an additional writer for one companion, one sidequest, and for the rest just walking between desks, glancing at scripts and sipping coffee.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

airdisc posted:

Battle Worlds: Kronos
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/battle-worlds-kronos-turn-based-strategy-revisited

classic turn-based strategy game made by a gamedev from my hometown. reminds me a bit of M.A.X.

I don't think it has been mentioned yet: These guys made The Book of Unwritten Tales, which I remember being quite a well received adventure game.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

AG3 posted:

He finished his work on WL2 a while back actually (the area that was presented in the gameplay video was written by him). This is really going to remove any doubts from people that seemed unhappy with any previous updates.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Urdnot Fire posted:

Goddamit, and here I am all cashed out :( I just wish I could drop the kind of mad money I did on P:E here, but some things just aren't meant to be, I guess. But yeah, everyone else, bomb these guys with money, because as far as you all should be concerned, $3.5 million's the real 'fully funded' level.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

CommissarMega posted:

Goddamit, and here I am all cashed out :( I just wish I could drop the kind of mad money I did on P:E here, but some things just aren't meant to be, I guess. But yeah, everyone else, bomb these guys with money, because as far as you all should be concerned, $3.5 million's the real 'fully funded' level.

I'm pretty much at my limit after P:E too, which is a shame since getting Avellone on board makes me want to up my pledge (this is a dangerous psychological compulsion I wish they'd stop exploiting!). Upping it by $250 just for the item design reward (which I have no interest in) is a bit too much at this point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hadn't pitched in to Torment yet, but hell, I just went to the page and the $20 tier was '1 LEFT' so I figured hey, what the heck why not.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Avellone might as well retire and charge for Kickstarter appearances.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MikeJF posted:

I hadn't pitched in to Torment yet, but hell, I just went to the page and the $20 tier was '1 LEFT' so I figured hey, what the heck why not.

If you haven't already signed up for Wasteland 2, I'd grab the $45 Torment+Wasteland combo instead. That's what I did because gently caress yeah Wasteland 2.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
With 2 days left it looks like M3CH won't make it, despite its fairly low goal of 5 thousand British funbux.

Meanwhile, Door Kickers, which is Romanian and thus which cannot technically use Kickstarter, is doing the crowdfunding thing all by themselves.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

miguelito posted:

But eh, this stretch goal sounds like his involvement won't be too deep anyway - more like an additional writer for one companion, one sidequest, and for the rest just walking between desks, glancing at scripts and sipping coffee.
Yeah dude this is probably a paycheck for him and not something he's wanted to do for years. In fact I believe the whole spiritual sequel angle was something he talked up long before KS was a thing.

Mozi posted:

Avellone might as well retire and charge for Kickstarter appearances.
Really it seems like Kickstarter's been a miracle for George Ziets and Mark Morgan more than anyone else. Don't think they had much else going on.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

Really it seems like Kickstarter's been a miracle for George Ziets and Mark Morgan more than anyone else. Don't think they had much else going on.

That fact is criminal in itself. Someone should hire them permanently!