Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

razorrozar posted:

Holy crap, I've been playing EarthBound again, trying to actually beat it. It's great that it's finally getting a VC release.

I also managed to finish Castlevania IV last week. God, that game is so much fun. Side-scrolling platforming at its finest. Death and Dracula are absolute bullshit, though. So loving satisfying when I finally murdered them.

AFIK it's only getting a Japanese VC release because ~ambiguous legal reasons~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HKR posted:

Goddamn it. I blame the Dali clock and the Beatles sampling.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

But still, for it to take this long even in Japan shows there was a holdup there for a reason, too; so this must be some good news for us, no?

I can't wait for people to pick apart the ROM and see if anything was taken out or changed. My money is on the literal Little Rascals sample being gone.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

But still, for it to take this long even in Japan shows there was a holdup there for a reason, too; so this must be some good news for us, no?

I can't wait for people to pick apart the ROM and see if anything was taken out or changed. My money is on the literal Little Rascals sample being gone.

Unfortunately I have my doubts; remember that Mother 3 doesn't have any of these issues and it never got an official English release either despite the game's characters and settings featuring considerably in Smash Bros. Brawl. I'm also not convinced on the legal issue, why wouldn't this be a problem in Japan? It's a first-world country with in some cases stricter copyright regulation. There are plenty of unofficial avenues for playing the first three games on the original Wii; I have virtual channels for all three games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm still placing hopes on that Mother collection Itoi sort of hinted back at a while ago.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Unfortunately I have my doubts; remember that Mother 3 doesn't have any of these issues and it never got an official English release either despite the game's characters and settings featuring considerably in Smash Bros. Brawl. I'm also not convinced on the legal issue, why wouldn't this be a problem in Japan? It's a first-world country with in some cases stricter copyright regulation. There are plenty of unofficial avenues for playing the first three games on the original Wii; I have virtual channels for all three games.

The reasons for Mother 3 not making it to the USA could be numerous:

1) Earthbound sold terribly in the US, so Nintendo assumed no one would buy the sequel (after all, who makes a sequel to something that does poorly with exception to Atlus Shrugged Part 2 The Movie)

2) It was released at the very end of the GBA's lifespan and Nintendo was focusing on the DS.

3) Nintendo is spiteful and hates you all for it not selling millions in 1995.

:iiam:

Ineffiable posted:

I'm still placing hopes on that Mother collection Itoi sort of hinted back at a while ago.

Me too but I'd way prefer it on a handheld.

Also before I buy anything on Rakuten, I recall someone here posting a way to save money with them? Some sort of coupon thing or buy one get one type deal? Can anyone remind me?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 22, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

3) Nintendo is spiteful and hates you all for it not selling millions in 1995.

This is the only correct answer.

(although Nintendo is notorious for PUTTING A HALT TO EVERYTHING to shift 100% of their focus to the next console launch which results in canceling games that are near loving finished e.g. Mother 1, Star Fox 2, and Dinosaur Planet. And then their console launches still manage to be half-assed.)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You know the real answer to no Mother 3 in the USA is "oh no there are what appears to be men? in womens? clothing and also something with facial hair kisses the player as a gameplay mechanic" :smith:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Also before I buy anything on Rakuten, I recall someone here posting a way to save money with them? Some sort of coupon thing or buy one get one type deal? Can anyone remind me?

Currently there's a promotion that has you only pay 1000 yen for shipping (as long as the shipping cost is under 5000) if you have your stuff shipped through Tenso.

On another note, can someone spare a word or two on the Deception games? I've always been interested in trying one but I'm not sure whether to try finding a copy of one of the PS1 games or just skipping ahead to the PS2 version (Trapt).

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Light Gun Man posted:

You know the real answer to no Mother 3 in the USA is "oh no there are what appears to be men? in womens? clothing and also something with facial hair kisses the player as a gameplay mechanic" :smith:

Does Nintendo really care about this anymore? I'm not being sarcastic I really don't know, for some reason I thought they had relaxed a bit on NA releases.

Also, I (my grandma) bought EB when it first came out and I hate you all for not doing the same. This is how I feel superior to all the other EB fans even though I only asked for it because of the big rear end box.

I owe Earthbound for getting me closer to my cousins. And it's the reason I'm in this thread.

I got a ton of SNES games because I was the oldest grandchild and spoiled. Left them at home when I left the country. My second oldest cousin inherited them and they moved into her sorority because the SNES is cool with sororities I guess. Then my other three cousins got them and, the cousin I bought the famicom for got really into them.

Then a few months ago I asked the sorority cousin "do you still have those SNES games? Theres this one that's actually worth some decent money." She told me my other cousin has it, my aunt comes in and says "I asked (5 year old) cousin about it and even he knew where it was so they must know it's important. And (older cousin) really wants something called a famicom, do you know what that is?" they made a cute recreation box for EB too.

Now here I am spending hundreds of dollars on my cousin, talking videogames with him. It's funny because I did the same thing with his dad when my family was all lovely (although we didn't agree, he thought the atari was the best gaming ever.)

Also, hamburglar, I might need you to take a look at that Famicom if you could. My cousin got it working once but then it stopped working. He's 13 he doesnt know what he's doing, and hes trying to play a famicom on a US tv. I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at it and mod it for him. I can't really pay you easily (they wont let foreigners use Korean bank accounts with paypal) but, maybe I can trade you something cool from Yongsan? It's my cousin so I'm willing to get you way more than it's worth.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 22, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

They didn't give us Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land and the worst that had was an implied sex scene covered up by tingle's sudden inflated balloon. I am not even making this up, kaloo-limpah and everything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iastudent posted:

On another note, can someone spare a word or two on the Deception games? I've always been interested in trying one but I'm not sure whether to try finding a copy of one of the PS1 games or just skipping ahead to the PS2 version (Trapt).

I never played the PS2 game(s?) but I have the original somewhere around here. It's not aged super well (the user interface is pretty atrocious) but it's something really different from the rest of the PS1 Japanese fare.

I don't think it's rare or expensive, either. I got mine from a game booth at a comics show and only paid $5, which is a pretty good deal if you've ever gone old-game hunting at one of those.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iastudent posted:

Currently there's a promotion that has you only pay 1000 yen for shipping (as long as the shipping cost is under 5000) if you have your stuff shipped through Tenso.

There's Lets' Plays for all three of the Deception games on the Let's Play archive website if you want to get an idea of what they're like.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

iastudent posted:

They're okay but pretty flawed. The interface is a problem and the difficulty swings pretty wildly. Between the games released in the US I'd recommend playing Trapt; it's better put together than the PS1 games.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random Stranger posted:

They're okay but pretty flawed. The interface is a problem and the difficulty swings pretty wildly.

Not much to add to this. I remember them starting off alright but the difficulty spikes pretty quickly and the gameplay can be a touch monotonous at times.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

iastudent posted:

Thank you! I knew there was something.

drat did Japan get some awesome N64 colors I still to this day I have never seen before:

BrainDance posted:

Also, hamburglar, I might need you to take a look at that Famicom if you could. My cousin got it working once but then it stopped working. He's 13 he doesnt know what he's doing, and hes trying to play a famicom on a US tv. I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at it and mod it for him. I can't really pay you easily (they wont let foreigners use Korean bank accounts with paypal) but, maybe I can trade you something cool from Yongsan? It's my cousin so I'm willing to get you way more than it's worth.

Nah I don't want any $$$; my free time is shot lately but I can get around to it for you (especially with a :3: backstory like that). The one thing I want to let you know though is that a Famicom should very well work on a US TV. I think the TV cannot be on channel 3 or 4 though, it has be on something wacky like 97 for it to work. Make sure he tries that.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Thank you! I knew there was something.

drat did Japan get some awesome N64 colors I still to this day I have never seen before:

Nah I don't want any $$$; my free time is shot lately but I can get around to it for you (especially with a :3: backstory like that). The one thing I want to let you know though is that a Famicom should very well work on a US TV. I think the TV cannot be on channel 3 or 4 though, it has be on something wacky like 97 for it to work. Make sure he tries that.

yea the TV must be set on 96 in order for it to work

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

How unfortunate, I've run into one of those situations where I buy a game, and it doesn't seem to work reliably at all. I always get bogged down by the decision of whether it could work better if maybe I just cleaned it harder, or if it's just worthless and I should just try to go through the laborious process of trying return it to Ebay while I still can.

I do want to someday be able to play Majora's Mask on a giant watermelon-flavored Jolly Rancher.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The watermelon one is pretty common but that one is half white as well .

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I understand, if he is willing to send this to you will you rip its guts apart and make it the best famicom ever? Like I said it's my cousin, mint comboys whatever. Just make my cousin happy. Kid deserves it. I'll pm you.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
WayForward is developing a new DuckTales game for Capcom. The greatest thing!

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/capcom-reveals-new-ducktales-game/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BrainDance posted:

I understand, if he is willing to send this to you will you rip its guts apart and make it the best famicom ever? Like I said it's my cousin, mint comboys whatever. Just make my cousin happy. Kid deserves it. I'll pm you.

No problem, PM sent.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 22, 2013

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
It's time for a game of "What Did I Just Buy?".

I have no idea what this thing is. Any ideas?

Here's the back.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JJJJJS posted:

It's time for a game of "What Did I Just Buy?".

I have no idea what this thing is. Any ideas?

A ZX Spectrum ROM cart for a Timex Sinclair
http://www.timexsinclair.org/peripherals/

Though I'm not familiar with those systems or how it would even be used...

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

hell yes.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
Interesting, thanks for the link. I'm a huge fan of completely useless hardware so that unironically made my day.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Even though I'm one of those sad people who has never played all the way through the original game (I'm waiting to get a physical copy of the game that doesn't cost $15 or whatever it goes for now), I'm really excited for this just because WayForward is developing it. :)

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Obeast posted:

Even though I'm one of those sad people who has never played all the way through the original game (I'm waiting to get a physical copy of the game that doesn't cost $15 or whatever it goes for now), I'm really excited for this just because WayForward is developing it. :)

Whoa, big blast of nostalgia from my childhood, both the game an the show. And now I finally know what the hell they're saying in that opening song too.

The original game was too small--hope they make it substantially bigger. Interesting move too considering that I'd imagine that the DuckTales franchise has largely faded from memory, unless Disney is thinking of rebooting it. (And it's the last franchise I'd think of them rebooting at the moment, considering that Scrooge was basically Carl Barks' unabashed glorification of Gilded Age robber baron capitalists, which frequently bled into the show--perfect for the 80s, but not so much right now)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh shiiiiiiiit, this is a day one purchase, definitely. Talk about games you never thought would exist!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

wa27 posted:

A ZX Spectrum ROM cart for a Timex Sinclair
http://www.timexsinclair.org/peripherals/

Though I'm not familiar with those systems or how it would even be used...

I think I have one of those in my basement. The Sinclair, not the card.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

codenameFANGIO posted:

Oh shiiiiiiiit, this is a day one purchase, definitely. Talk about games you never thought would exist!

They better not foul up the Moon theme.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

orphean posted:

If their work on Contra 4 is anything to go by, there's no way they can gently caress the soundtrack up. And that was original DS.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

orphean posted:

After their amazing version of the Earth theme from A Boy and His Blob (which is one of my favorite NES songs despite me not being a fan of the original game itself) in the awesome remake on the Wii, I'm sure they will either match or even surpass the Moon theme's awesomeness.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

orphean posted:

If they change anything at all, let it be a return to the slower version heard in the prototype.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

So hey I got these in the mail today

Hopefully everything works :ohdear:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Heran Bago posted:

They didn't give us Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land and the worst that had was an implied sex scene covered up by tingle's sudden inflated balloon. I am not even making this up, kaloo-limpah and everything.

I'm pretty sure the reason we didn't get Rosy Rupeeland is because response to Tingle in the US has been overwhelmingly negative. Americans just don't like Tingle. The Japanese loving love the creepy little fucker, for whatever reason.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

So hey I got these in the mail today

Hopefully everything works :ohdear:

Where the hell did you get this made? That's awesome!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just finished baby's first console mod by connecting a potentiometer to the pins on an NES to get Famicom Disk System sound at the right volume. Works great with an NES PowerPak. Now I have to apply a similar mod to a 60-to-72-pin converter to see if I can get the same magic out of the Everdrive.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Where the hell did you get this made? That's awesome!

I taught myself some basic Eagle and then took my eagle brd file to OSHPark which is a hobbiest board fabrication group buy service. $5 per square inch and you get three boards. They're fairly popular so panels fill fast and thus you get a fairly decent turn around. I submitted my order on the tenth.

HKR fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

orphean posted:

If they do, at least I'll have this to fall back on.

But the original is my cell phone ring. I agree completely.

• Locked thread