Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

aventari posted:

Anyone interested in a track day on March 30th/31st at Buttonwillow?

http://www.ncracing.org/ are the guys running it, I've never heard of them before, but they can't be worse than Xtremespeed

I'm just going Saturday and I'll be in the Open class

I've run them a few times. They're pretty good, except for for novices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Hmm, thinking about it more, some things I'd find particularly useful would be:
How to design and fabricate a safe rollcage, or ensure a purchase is safe
How to hook up a harness safely
Seat advice
How refueling during a race works, eg where is the fuel stored at the track and what to install on the car to safely and quickly refuel
Gear for yourself advice (helmets, firesuits, shoes...)
What to expect from the tech session
How to prep the car for race day, including tweaks for a particular track
How to prep yourself and your team for race day

... There's lots of stuff I'd love to learn more about :)

Add in how to do a pit stop! We were like a half dozen monkeys collectively loving a football for our first few stops, but we got it nailed down by the second day.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pit stops are hard to execute if you don't have a plan. In Chump you can fuel and do a driver swap at the same time, but you can't work on the car.

So a pit stop with gas would look like this:
0. Car radios that they're coming in
1. Car stops and turns off
2a. Driver gets out of the car
2b. Fueler and next driver hop over the pit wall; next driver has the fire extinguisher
3. When driver is out of the car, he takes the extinguisher from the next driver; next driver starts to get into the car
4. When fueling is done: any maintenance checks can be done by additional hands, previous driver helps next driver with belts and whatnot, and a radio check
5. Go back out there

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is anyone coming to Destination Nurburgring 7 or Spa next week?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Phone posted:

Pit stops are hard to execute if you don't have a plan. In Chump you can fuel and do a driver swap at the same time, but you can't work on the car.

So a pit stop with gas would look like this:
0. Car radios that they're coming in
1. Car stops and turns off
2a. Driver gets out of the car
2b. Fueler and next driver hop over the pit wall; next driver has the fire extinguisher
3. When driver is out of the car, he takes the extinguisher from the next driver; next driver starts to get into the car
4. When fueling is done: any maintenance checks can be done by additional hands, previous driver helps next driver with belts and whatnot, and a radio check
5. Go back out there

Next driver can get in the car while fueling.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Speaking of pitstops, I'm down to about 35 minutes at changing my front brakes. We can make that an even 30, boys.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I'm going to Touristenfahrten on the 14th.

Kaakao
Jul 6, 2005
Random Stuff

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

At the DN7 right now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Kaakao posted:

At the DN7 right now.

What you in? Where you staying? Come to the V10 e46 tomorrow and ask for ash. Ill probably be throwing up from Alan the fastest lad outside of a Racecar.

Kaakao
Jul 6, 2005
Random Stuff

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

What you in? Where you staying? Come to the V10 e46 tomorrow and ask for ash. Ill probably be throwing up from Alan the fastest lad outside of a Racecar.

I was driving the black 996 turbo, only got few laps on Wednesday thanks to some issues, work and the snow. First time driving the ring while it is snowing, didn't slow down too much :)

Too bad the weather was/is poo poo, last Easter it was +20C , now below freezing.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Have a track day cued up for the 12th and surprise surprise the weather forecast is calling for rain. This will be the 5th time I've been to this NJMP Thunderbolt and would be the 3rd time its rained while I was there.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother scheduling days before late May at a northeastern track.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
A couple years ago I had a Lime Rock event cancelled because of snow :v:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Cancelled due to snow I could deal with because then I would at least get my money back.

Rain I'm out my entrance fee, track day insurance and the gas to get down there. All for a day of nervous slow driving.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I'm putting together an '83 944 for 944 spec racing and they allow the seat to mount onto the cage. Anybody have a suggestion for a seat placed on a fixed mount like that?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Kaakao posted:

I was driving the black 996 turbo, only got few laps on Wednesday thanks to some issues, work and the snow. First time driving the ring while it is snowing, didn't slow down too much :)

Too bad the weather was/is poo poo, last Easter it was +20C , now below freezing.

Ah cool man! British car?
Yeah it was a real shame but that's how it goes! You getting to the next one too?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kill me now posted:

Have a track day cued up for the 12th and surprise surprise the weather forecast is calling for rain. This will be the 5th time I've been to this NJMP Thunderbolt and would be the 3rd time its rained while I was there.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother scheduling days before late May at a northeastern track.

Rain just lowers the consumables costs.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Dave Inc. posted:

I'm putting together an '83 944 for 944 spec racing and they allow the seat to mount onto the cage. Anybody have a suggestion for a seat placed on a fixed mount like that?

Kirkey are popular but anything will work, just buy a seat and some rails and have the fabricator integrate them. Sparco has adjustable side mounts that you just bolt into the correct position. What's your seat budget?

Kaakao
Jul 6, 2005
Random Stuff

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Ah cool man! British car?
Yeah it was a real shame but that's how it goes! You getting to the next one too?

Finnish plates, the car is in Germany now but we will most likely be back in Finland by June so DN8 will most likely be passed.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Stardotstar posted:

Kirkey are popular but anything will work, just buy a seat and some rails and have the fabricator integrate them. Sparco has adjustable side mounts that you just bolt into the correct position. What's your seat budget?

I really haven't looked at it much yet, and I was probably going to look to the cage installer for a hand on picking one out (they race 944 spec as well). For the seat I'm probably looking somewhere between $500 and $1000.

I'm involving the cage installer really because the car's floor pan took a hit back in the day and warped the seat mounting positions (and I wouldn't trust the remaining bolts to hold anything in place).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Kaakao posted:

Finnish plates, the car is in Germany now but we will most likely be back in Finland by June so DN8 will most likely be passed.

That's a shame man. We had a lot of fun in spite of the weather anyway.

Are you in this anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1uC5ujex4

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kill me now posted:

Cancelled due to snow I could deal with because then I would at least get my money back.

Rain I'm out my entrance fee, track day insurance and the gas to get down there. All for a day of nervous slow driving.

You're looking at rainy track days all wrong. Rainy days are great because you can work on playing with your car at the edge of traction at lower (less expensive) speeds. Go slide around for a day in the rain and have a great time while everyone else is sitting in the pit bitching about the weather.

I always love rainy days because I'm usually one of the few cars out there playing with the STI/EVO guys.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Dave Inc. posted:

I really haven't looked at it much yet, and I was probably going to look to the cage installer for a hand on picking one out (they race 944 spec as well). For the seat I'm probably looking somewhere between $500 and $1000.

I'm involving the cage installer really because the car's floor pan took a hit back in the day and warped the seat mounting positions (and I wouldn't trust the remaining bolts to hold anything in place).

Are you looking for a halo seat or a regular seat?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

South Jersey Region SCCA Test Day tomorrow at NJMP. Time to dust off the cobwebs and wake up the car.

There are 12 cars registered for a $200 test & tune day. loving steal of a price.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

FatCow posted:

Are you looking for a halo seat or a regular seat?

Probably not a halo, I think that would drive me crazy. I'm thinking about getting a HANS, though, so do I need a halo for that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dave Inc. posted:

Probably not a halo, I think that would drive me crazy. I'm thinking about getting a HANS, though, so do I need a halo for that?

Nope, but consider getting 2" belts so it rides on the HANS properly. I'm wholly impressed with my Schroth Profi belts.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
No but you should, the HANS is designed to work with a halo seat, it does little for side to side movement. (And at least one of the tests said it made it worse) FWIW I use a HANS without a halo seat. Whenever I stop autocrossing this car I'll upgrade to a halo.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

That's a shame man. We had a lot of fun in spite of the weather anyway.

Are you in this anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1uC5ujex4

That completely awful harness mounting is terrifying, and about as wrong as you can get. What kind of cage builder is so inept that they don't put in a harness bar?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

That completely awful harness mounting is terrifying, and about as wrong as you can get. What kind of cage builder is so inept that they don't put in a harness bar?

What are you on about? Where do you think those harnesses are going?

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Wait, does that cage also lack a diagonal on the main hoop? What would that ever be legal for? I don't even think that meets drag specs. Someone could make the point that this car would be safer in stock form.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Ya it kinda freaked me out too, but didn't want to say anything. There's no diagonal and no harness bar, but those two things are like, the point of the cage :psyduck:

Is this so the rear seats can still be used or something? The belt mounting angle is the most worrisome--the seat could very well be rated for some angle, but that seems pretty steep for anything I've seen. Zlatan, have you double-checked all the installation specs for the belts?

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
Does anyone know what the deals are with HPDE bodies and showing up with a vehicle that has a total loss title? I have a miata that is road-going but I've got my eye on one at a auto auction house. It was totaled but it's all superficial body damage. It still runs and drives. In the grand scheme of dedicated track cars it would be dirt cheap to fix the body damage enough to race, strip it, and rebuild the engine, suspension, and all the stuff you'd have to do anyway with a miata.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My Miata is a total loss vehicle.. what's the question exactly?

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

Phone posted:

My Miata is a total loss vehicle.. what's the question exactly?

I didn't know if there was anything prohibiting them from racing in the event.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I have found HPDE inspections to be almost the same (maybe a bit more through) than autox. I have never seen papers other than a drivers license requested. That being said, every club makes their own rules and do pretty much anything they want.

Do you know what org/events you would be interested in?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
As long as the car's not unsafe no one cares. Plus usually it's "self tech."

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

parid posted:

I have found HPDE inspections to be almost the same (maybe a bit more through) than autox. I have never seen papers other than a drivers license requested. That being said, every club makes their own rules and do pretty much anything they want.

Do you know what org/events you would be interested in?

Not really it'd be awhile before I competed in anything I'd just like to get more seat time at the track and some instruction. I know the Florida International Rally & Motorsports park has cheapish track days, Porsche Club does events for all at Daytona maybe travel up to Road Atlanta.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

What are you on about? Where do you think those harnesses are going?

It about checks every single box for improper harness mounting. The mounting angle is completely wrong, its touching the seat, etc. That seat breaks in a crash (as it will as its unbraced) that harness will break your clavicles and your spine.

jamal posted:

As long as the car's not unsafe no one cares. Plus usually it's "self tech."

Which is why people still buy Cusco cages and eBay 4 point harnesses.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

Which is why people still buy Cusco cages and eBay 4 point harnesses.

It's not like you're skimping on something that will prevent you from being a giant vegetable or a smear on the pavement.

Oh wait.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I actually know a guy that was in a rollover at the track with a cusco bolt in cage and swears up and down that it saved his life. Thing is, the OEM crash structure didn't even deform down far enough to contact the main hoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

I actually know a guy that was in a rollover at the track with a cusco bolt in cage and swears up and down that it saved his life. Thing is, the OEM crash structure didn't even deform down far enough to contact the main hoop.

Or this happens.*

*Installed by a "professional shop". :psyduck: