Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Without spoiling much; hows the actual plot so far?

Most of the plot revolves around the new characters Sicily, who claims to be Laharl's sister and follows the gang around as they do the usual overlord stuff. Optional cameo stages are showing up as early as chapter 6, which is quite surprising.

Last Celebration posted:

Do the generic human units still learn unique attacks like they did in the Vita port of Disgaea 3?

I haven't played the vita port yet, so I'm not certain. But humanoids seem very close to their D4 counterparts overall. I noticed thieves have built-in stealing skill with range that scales with skill level (5 range at skill lv 7).

Wrist Watch posted:

Do you have a gun user to see how bad the drop off is? That could be ignorable or nearly crippling depending on how severe it is.

It wasn't noticeable at all, I wasn't aware there was a damage drop-off until I've read the in-game info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Disgaea 3 question: how do I get the class-specific evilities to buy? It seems arbitrary if the 5000 mana one shows up, and I've only ever seen the 30000 ones on my comically-leveled Kunoichi and Mage Knight.

I just don't know what the conditions are and it's bugging me.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
It's because they're comically leveled. They also have to be the better versions of the classes in addition to the level requirement.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Disgaea 3 question: how do I get the class-specific evilities to buy? It seems arbitrary if the 5000 mana one shows up, and I've only ever seen the 30000 ones on my comically-leveled Kunoichi and Mage Knight.

I just don't know what the conditions are and it's bugging me.

You probably have to level up your classes more, or upgrade them to the next tier.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Makes sense, but are there any hard numbers anywhere? A level 163 Saint Dragon doesn't have Ice's Blessing. Since reincarnation costs double I can't keep up guesswork. :smith:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Makes sense, but are there any hard numbers anywhere? A level 163 Saint Dragon doesn't have Ice's Blessing. Since reincarnation costs double I can't keep up guesswork. :smith:
The Disgaea wiki is usually pretty comprehensive about this kind of thing: http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Disgaea_3_MA_Abilities
Says Ice's Blessing is tier 4 lv120, so you need to reincarnate one more time.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

My Doublejump Disgaea 3 guide was one of the finest gaming gifts I've ever received, even if it wasn't physically put together that well, it was stuffed with great info and tables like that.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

megamariox posted:

Well was looking around for more information on DD2 and the characters specials and I found this.

Laharls 4th special

This really makes me wonder about the other characters.

Hmm. I wonder if it means something that the swords used are of Baal's design? Yeah, yeah, it figures it's the small thing I'd notice.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bloodly posted:

Hmm. I wonder if it means something that the swords used are of Baal's design? Yeah, yeah, it figures it's the small thing I'd notice.

Would be neat considering (Disgaea 1 spoilers) Baal is the reason Laharl's family is dead

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Bloodly posted:

I doubt it. The generic sword skill Ultra Overlord uses that sword sprite. (I know Ultra Overlord existed in D2 PSP, but I'm not sure about 3 or 4)

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Would be neat considering (Disgaea 1 spoilers) Baal is the reason Laharl's family is dead

Was that actually covered IN D1? I don't recall.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kharmakazy posted:

Was that actually covered IN D1? I don't recall.

Yup. More spoilers.

When you defeat Baal you find out that King K didn't choke to death; he heard Baal was coming to destroy the netherworld and pretty much kill his family so he went and sacrificed himself to seal him away. While he was gone monsters attacked Laharl's mom and she gave her life up to save him which is considered a sin. It's why Laharl's hunting baal in all the post games; he's got a serious grudge against him

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So they retconned the PS2 version?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Scalding Coffee posted:

So they retconned the PS2 version?

It's always been the case.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Picked up Disgaea 4 so I can stop being so uneducated about the rest of the series. D4 certainly doesn't gently caress around at the beginning, does it? :stare: Maybe it's because I'm so used to D2 and how much of a powerhouse Adell was pretty much all game, but just getting to chapter 2 made me feel like everyone in my party was made out of tissue paper.

Makes me want to hurry up and beat the main game so the real fun can begin (and yeah, it's unpatched). :getin:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
D3 made an effort to make the story harder and D4 kind of kept with that. Of course, as always that goes right out the window if you spend some time grinding, but for normal progression it can be pretty hard to keep up, where D1 and D2 were only notably difficult at the endgame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Valvatorez is pretty beastly, too, once he gets going. Fenrich is also pretty strong if you keep him next to Valvatorez.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Picked up Disgaea 4 so I can stop being so uneducated about the rest of the series. D4 certainly doesn't gently caress around at the beginning, does it? :stare: Maybe it's because I'm so used to D2 and how much of a powerhouse Adell was pretty much all game, but just getting to chapter 2 made me feel like everyone in my party was made out of tissue paper.

Makes me want to hurry up and beat the main game so the real fun can begin (and yeah, it's unpatched). :getin:

I found D4 way easier than D2 :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

but just getting to chapter 2 made me feel like everyone in my party was made out of tissue paper.

Just wait. Get through chapter 3 and you'll find things get much easier. The D4 plot characters are rather powerful in general but that particular one is possibly one of the nastiest ones in the series.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So what is the reason for Mid-Boss?

I thought the mother's story was something else different and without Baal?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Scalding Coffee posted:

He's basically Laharl's dad's reincarnation or something. Makes about as much sense as anything else.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Any news about the android Disgaea games getting released in Europe/translated?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vier posted:

Any news about the android Disgaea games getting released in Europe/translated?

I emailed whatever mob was supporting that game, as it was on my SGS2's Samsung Store, but wouldn't ever run after installation because of my region (Australia). They said it'd be available for everyone shortly.

That was 18 months ago. Yeah.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought the mother's story was something else different and without Baal?

Mid-boss is a reincarnation of King K. or just a spirit of him; it's not totally clear. It's why at the end of the game he shows up; says he's proud of Laharl; and leaves with Laharl's ghost mom

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Right about the first part. Mom is supposed to be reborn after shedding her mortal coil and she still appears as a ghost. I thought it was her blood that would cure the sick Laharl, so she killed herself and became a Prinny. Still, Mid-Boss appears in D2 and urgh.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 25, 2013

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Is there some reason not to patch D4 when I finally get it?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Kharmakazy posted:

There's an insanely easy duplication glitch that was removed in a patch. However, using the DLC requires that you patch the game. Basically, get to a point where you can duplicate some really ridiculous stuff and then go ahead and patch.

Or you could reset Reverse Pirating for dozens to hundreds of hours hoping you get lucky way too many times. That's an option if you hate yourself.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kharmakazy posted:

IIRC from keeping up with the previous thread, in the base game there's a glitch which allows you to dupe items. Normally I wouldn't care either, but I've heard far too many horror stories about D4's postgame and grinding for innocents or residents or whatever and apparently it's bad enough that people were erasing all their saves/game data just to be able to abuse it until they got to a point where it was no longer necessary to prevent dozens of hours of grinding. Without the bug, the only way to dupe was to use the puppy paw stick or something like that I think? Or get one of your characters cloned and then try to steal the item from them with a 1% rate or something else that sucked any fun you were having right out of the game.

e: beaten by someone who's actually played the game

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Wrist Watch posted:

e: beaten by someone who's actually played the game

I thought you were forced to patch once you started up the game. Can you just, like, not?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
To be specific, there's a bunch of innocents (most notably the Statistician) who can only be found in Reverse Pirating. Pretty sure it was the same way in D3 too, but it's a lot easier when you just have to find one of them and then dupe the poo poo out of them until you've got more than you'd ever really need.

sandpiper posted:

I thought you were forced to patch once you started up the game. Can you just, like, not?

Don't be connected to the internet. Can't be told to get the patch if it never checks. You can play other games while signed in, but make sure you don't boot up D4 when connected.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

sandpiper posted:

Other games I have played wanted to patch.. I just hit cancel and it went away. Mind you I have to do it every time I launch a game. I'm on satellite internet, and a 500 MB patch is two days worth of my internet allowance... so that really isn't going to happen.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

You can be connected to the internet, I forgot to disconnect when I started up. You can just press circle to cancel out of it, but unless you quit the game completely it'll keep bugging you every few minutes to update. Like sentrygun said, you can just switch your wireless settings to disabled while you play and enable it after you finish. It won't bug you again, and it has no impact on getting trophies or anything.

I know this because I overestimated how much hp my werewolf butler had and accidentally killed him in a geo chain. I dunno if there's an ending that requires no ally kills in this like there was in D2, but it was during one of the tutorial stages so even though it counted for the trophy I didn't see any counter at the Records shop. Even if there is I'll just get it during a second playthrough where I blitz through with my superpowered beasts.

e: I'm getting beaten to the punch a lot here

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

sentrygun posted:

To be specific, there's a bunch of innocents (most notably the Statistician) who can only be found in Reverse Pirating. Pretty sure it was the same way in D3 too, but it's a lot easier when you just have to find one of them and then dupe the poo poo out of them until you've got more than you'd ever really need.

Besides that I would probably at least dupe
-A fuckton of sprinters and tutors/patients
-Enough max level legendary T34(at least) weapons/armor to equip all your characters + DLC/Post game versions
-Enough accelerators with movement+ bonuses maxed out for the same
-Probably some Equipment boosters or Unique innocents or whatever. At this point you're probably sick of it and just want to get on with the DLC content

Disgaea D2 looks pretty cool and I'm looking forward to it. Too bad it's probably going to come out when I'm deep in the middle of grad school.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

sentrygun posted:

Don't be connected to the internet. Can't be told to get the patch if it never checks. You can play other games while signed in, but make sure you don't boot up D4 when connected.

Okay, okay. After I posted that I realized how it was easily possible. Thanks anyway. I want to do the glitch when I start D4 so I don't have to deal with the bullshit endgame.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The dupe thing in Disgaea 4 works like this

There's little things in you items like mentioned; Staticians, Gladiators, etc. The more of them you have the better their effect is. Staticians only go up to 300 while others can be as huge as level 10,000

Thing is; you only get them at level 3, or 200 or so. This is insane. There's a feature where you can fuse two innocents of the same job (2 level 15 staticians = 1 lvl 30 one) to save space, so people would duplicate a item and mass level up the innocents they wanted (Gladiators to raise attack etc). It was effortless and made things way more streamlined and everyone loved it. You could get a godly strong sword; make it level 300, stack 8 lvl 10000+ staticians on it and dupe it for your post game army.

Now with the patch in place you have two options.
1: Clear 200 floors for a shot of getting what you want (it takes just as long as it sounds)
2: You can equip a item called the puppy paw stick which has a chance of "stealing" a item off a enemy if you kill them. The "right" method of duping now is to equip a character with a item you want to dupe and go into their world. Clones will show up with that exact equip and you have to kill them for a CHANCE for it to proc.

The problems with this?
1: Each map in character world collapses. You have to hurry and "dig" the clone up out of the map. There's literally no way to tell where one is; and if you're not fast enough it's lost forever.
2: Clones have about a 5% chance of showing up. More commonly you'll get ability orbs or things that are useless to you. It can literally take hours to get one to show up.
3: There's only a 10% chance that killing that clone will give you your item.

It's so absolutely insane that people are willing to delete everything as starting from scratch would genuinely be faster and it's why the post game is considered absolute hell.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Also if you do actually patch, there is another, though much much slower method of duplication involving the puppy paw stick where you can use it to steal the equipment from a character world clone or from a senator won over by an online "idol" type senator.It's slow as hell but it works eventually.

edit: Beaten, though the senator method is much faster as it can take only a minute to get the right setup instead of waiting ages like a character world clone, but you still have to do it several times until the puppy paw stick actually works.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 25, 2013

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The dupe thing in Disgaea 4 works like this

Yeah I'm aware of the base concept of collecting those guys (I played a lot of D2 PSP and messed around with those) but I didn't know about all that other stuff. Thanks man.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

All of this talk makes me sad because while I would love to have D4 on the go for my vita, it would come with the patch pre-applied.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

EpicNameBro has uploaded the first hour or so of the game

It's kinda sloppy as it's just him testing some stuff out but he shows a few neat things off. I didn't know the colored skulls were gone for example; now you just pick the mages specialty when it comes to elements. Also the weapon affinity boost is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

EpicNameBro has uploaded the first hour or so of the game

It's kinda sloppy as it's just him testing some stuff out but he shows a few neat things off. I didn't know the colored skulls were gone for example; now you just pick the mages specialty when it comes to elements. Also the weapon affinity boost is neat.

Seems like you still gotta grind out three separate mages to unlock the star element I see.

• Locked thread