Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just finished my Jaggi armor (wear the flesh of thine enemies :black101:), took long enough for me to realize it'd be much faster to repeat the capture quest rather than trying hunts for the guys. :downs:

Are there any quests that give the option of kill or capture? If so, is there any reason not to go for the capture? I couldn't believe how many extra items I got from that.

(edit) Also are there any easier sources of machalite than random finds on hunts? I swear I'm always needing that stuff, I haven't been able to forge or upgrade a single new weapon yet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limbohead
Jan 1, 2005
pigeons is rats with magic inside
The only thing that I'm kinda let down by is that each monster doesn't have their own theme. I really missed that and it added a lot to each battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=invsEETiitg

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Just finished my Jaggi armor (wear the flesh of thine enemies :black101:), took long enough for me to realize it'd be much faster to repeat the capture quest rather than trying hunts for the guys. :downs:

Are there any quests that give the option of kill or capture? If so, is there any reason not to go for the capture? I couldn't believe how many extra items I got from that.

(edit) Also are there any easier sources of machalite than random finds on hunts? I swear I'm always needing that stuff, I haven't been able to forge or upgrade a single new weapon yet. :(

The quests eventually start saying "Hunt a _____" and you can do whatever to finish it then. Hell they start immediately online.

Machalite gets much easier to mine in Sandy Plains and Forgotten Forest when you get there. It's super rare on the Deserted Island but each map makes it more and more common along with having new ores. I'd recommend going into the solo town and doing the gathering quests for each area there if you don't want to worry about large monsters stalking you.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

limbohead posted:

The only thing that I'm kinda let down by is that each monster doesn't have their own theme. I really missed that and it added a lot to each battle.

Please, Kushala has nothing on Chameleos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8gtlxSw7yM

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Ciaphas posted:

In "Hunt" missions you can kill or capture, but "Capture" missions you have to capture. There are some monsters that only have certain drops from carves (Fearsome Maw from Gigginox comes to mind) but generally, capturing is more efficient than killing. You just have to bring your own traps and tranquilizers.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Is the fate skill not in the game any more? Jaggi mask only gives Speed Gather now. I'll be really disappointed if it's not here, it was really useful

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

It's in the game on various armor sets and as gem inserts. Jaggi X has 5 points of it but other sets have a full 10.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Can armour no longer be coloured? I remember being able to set three colours after being Lagiacrus and having a gradient from High Rank on. I've been Lagiacrus and reached High Rank (though I guess I haven't actually made any High Rank armour).

I'm on the 3DS, if it matters.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Machai posted:

Online requires a Wii-U

So you're saying there's no online play at all, friend codes or otherwise, unless you're on a Wii U? Huh. That's less thrilling.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Bland posted:

Is the fate skill not in the game any more? Jaggi mask only gives Speed Gather now. I'll be really disappointed if it's not here, it was really useful

You're right, the jaggi mask no longer has Fate. Maybe this is for the best, I used to make armor sets revolving around that thing.

Fate is still in the table of skills in the game guide I have, so it must be on something...

< edit >
I checked. Of course it had to be guild armor. Ugh, coins.

And on something called "Golden Lune", which looks to be made with G.rank Rathian parts? The set has +15 fate on it for Great Luck.
Example of the materials the chest needs: G.Rathian Shard, Rath medulla, Rathian Ruby, Meldspar ore.

Also on the "Sailor" set, another coin-based thing. The Rathian X set has a scrap of Fate, 1 point on two things.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 23, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

About the farm, does it do anything other than give me more of whatever item I hand over to them? Do Cycles do anything other than let them run longer without me having to go over and give them new orders?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Zombie Defiler posted:

And on something called "Golden Lune", which looks to be made with G.rank Rathian parts? The set has +15 fate on it for Great Luck.
Example of the materials the chest needs: G.Rathian Shard, Rath medulla, Rathian Ruby, Meldspar ore.

Golden Rathian parts. Which I believe are g rank anyway, but yeah. Silver Sol is the Rathalos equivalent.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

About the farm, does it do anything other than give me more of whatever item I hand over to them? Do Cycles do anything other than let them run longer without me having to go over and give them new orders?

A longer cycle means you can get more harvests off of a single plant and fertilizer.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

katkillad2 posted:

You can make goldenfish bait, it's Mega Fishing Fly + Snakebee Larva. Otherwise, it's incredibly annoying to catch one without.

I remember doing that mission in Tri and on my way back, a Melynx stole two of my goldenfish.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I just wanna find my Charm Table :smith:

Is that one website seriously the only thing on the internet that can tell you?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Eruonen posted:

So this fishlady charm table calculating webpage kinda works.

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/index2.html

I had 5 tabs open and kept retrying until I got through. Probably took about 50 tries.
Tip: Fill in the form once and duplicate the tab (this works in Chrome, not sure about the other browsers)

Is this the only way to find out what table you have? This is horrible. :(

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Argas posted:

I remember doing that mission in Tri and on my way back, a Melynx stole two of my goldenfish.

Melynxes being dicks is one perfect valid reason to farm a set of Anti-Theft armor/charms. Think the Arzuros set has it baked in, it's lovely.

Looking at the BradyGames guide makes me realize just how little I've done. I only just made the AncientMask and opened Diablos, Barioth, and Uragaan. I remember this part stopping me for a long, long time in Tri because Diablos is an rear end in a top hat. And where I am? With the armor/weapons I've made? It's such an intensely small part of what's there that I had to sit and think of how many hours this game would see by the time I wanted to stop.

Like I'm still not even sure where low rank stops and high rank begins. Or where high rank ends and G-Rank begins. Does it apply to both village and port? How do you go out to free hunt at night? Why are so many Gunner helmets ugly as hell? Why do I keep taking the Shakalakas along on capture quests when they're just gonna ruin everything?

Had a Royal Ludroth set for capture, got ahead of him and dropped a trap... then one o' the little muppets got him distracted and caused him to shift just enough that he slowly dragged himself right by the trap without falling in. :mad:

Footsteps Falco
Oct 16, 2010

Sir French Fry
Loving this game so far. I have high hopes I'll get further than I did in Tri (never killed a Rath).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It's become painfully clear that I need guidance outside of constantly pestering this thread. :( How's the Bradygames guide? Good for newbies or is it more made for MH veterans? (Or does it just suck? :v:)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ciaphas posted:

It's become painfully clear that I need guidance outside of constantly pestering this thread. :( How's the Bradygames guide? Good for newbies or is it more made for MH veterans? (Or does it just suck? :v:)

It's useful but it's lacking in weapon trees, explanation for Felynx stuff, and isn't comprehensive about mechanics. While definitely useful, the MH wiki and other fansites will overtake it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

This is my first MH and I have found it very useful. I mostly use it to search for that last component I need for an item since the pdf version is searchable. It has very little in tips or advice on how to play. It does have lots of nice pictures of the higher armors to drool over.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

For the time being, it's the only place you're finding drop rates.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Fighting Lagi in the Flooded Forest is some bullshit. This reminds me of old Plesi days. I swear I was good at this game at one point but these underwater fights disorient me to no end.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Argas posted:

It's useful but it's lacking in weapon trees, explanation for Felynx stuff, and isn't comprehensive about mechanics. While definitely useful, the MH wiki and other fansites will overtake it.

I've spent more money on worse, and I like having a physical book on hand anyway. :v: Thanks for the info all, I'll stop by gamestop later.

Another question while I'm here... earlier on the first 'how do I trapped bear' quest, I bungled the first trap and he ran by it, so I had to go get another one. I walloped on him again for a while since he'd been sleeping, to get him to limp and tire out again, then he just up and died. Is that pretty normal? If I whiff a trapping opportunity, what should I do to not mess it up the next go around?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ciaphas posted:

I've spent more money on worse, and I like having a physical book on hand anyway. :v: Thanks for the info all, I'll stop by gamestop later.

There is no physical copy, it's a digital guide.

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~

Ciaphas posted:

Another question while I'm here... earlier on the first 'how do I trapped bear' quest, I bungled the first trap and he ran by it, so I had to go get another one. I walloped on him again for a while since he'd been sleeping, to get him to limp and tire out again, then he just up and died. Is that pretty normal? If I whiff a trapping opportunity, what should I do to not mess it up the next go around?

It really depends on the monster you're trying to trap. If it's one of the easier, low health monsters, then you can expect to kill it on accident every now and then. I had to do the G. Jaggi cap 4 times because I kept killing it before it could even limp out of the first zone, so I had to guess how many bullets it took for it to start limping.

If you don't mind taking the time to make traps yourself, it's always good to bring spare traps with you. That way, if you mess up the trap and it's still limping, you can just follow it and use a spare that you already have on you. There's also a skill called perception that gives you the ability Capture Guru at +10. With Capture Guru, you can then just stick a paintball on them and their circle on the minimap will begin blinking when they are weak enough to capture.

Scher fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 24, 2013

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Just read a little into the guide, and I'll hide it for people who don't want to know but god drat the Moga Village quests go up to nine stars. I thought only online went that high.

Also, just got online for the first time, and even though I was just quickly taking down a Barroth with randoms, it was fun as hell.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

dropkickpikachu posted:

Is this the only way to find out what table you have? This is horrible. :(

It's the quickest way. You could probably make a ton of charms and deduce it that way.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Eruonen posted:

It's the quickest way. You could probably make a ton of charms and deduce it that way.

I've tried more than 100 times so far, it seems like that site is just completely hosed right now. Ah well. I've got the data there, I guess I'll just keep playing and sleep on it, see if I can find out if I got the right table in the future.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Fighting Lagi in the Flooded Forest is some bullshit. This reminds me of old Plesi days. I swear I was good at this game at one point but these underwater fights disorient me to no end.
I don't have a circle pad pro and underwater battle are a lot easier than I thought it would be. But fighting underwater in the flooded forest has always been annoying because of how cramped that place is.

I've been flying through the game so far and Duramboros is the first truly tough monster I've encountered. He hits pretty hard and has a crazy amount of health. I've been using the Lagiacrus blade and Rhenoplos armour. (About 140 defence.) Any suggestions on what I should do?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Eruonen posted:

It's actually pretty quick to deduce that you aren't on a cursed table this way. Not as fast as the fish, but pretty quick.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

dropkickpikachu posted:

I've tried more than 100 times so far, it seems like that site is just completely hosed right now. Ah well. I've got the data there, I guess I'll just keep playing and sleep on it, see if I can find out if I got the right table in the future.

There are two english sites. The one that I linked sometimes works, the other one never works. The one I linked sends you to http://www.hayasoft.com/chisamin/mh3g/tsearch.cgi and will load for a while before failing 95% of the time. Make sure you haven't been using the wrong one.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's satisfying being able to drop a Rathalos in under 20 minutes. It's even more satisfying when you get a Plate on your first kill. :dance: Yes game, I most definitely want to save after that! Christ. Plate hunting. If I remember correctly, you only need the one for the full armor set. Was it the belt that needed it?

I remember him being impossible when I first reached him in Tri. For as much trouble as I had with Diablos, Rathalos gave me more. He flies a lot, he's pissed off and fast, he is not messing around.

Gonna put that fucker on farm until I can make a Red Bludgeon. Gonna need two tails, which is a problem. I've kept a few Greatswords going, but none are quite as good as my Frozen Core. What's actually better against him, water or ice? I could go kill a Gobul really fast and upgrade one of my Greats to a Cataclysm Sword if that'd help me out.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ChibiSoma posted:

What's actually better against him, water or ice?

Ice is better than water, but water is good, too. Your other option to gently caress up a rathalos would be dragon damage, but you probably don't have access to that yet.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

Ice is better than water, but water is good, too. Your other option to gently caress up a rathalos would be dragon damage, but you probably don't have access to that yet.

Insecticutters, a set of Dual Blades, does Dragon damage.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Eruonen posted:

There are two english sites. The one that I linked sometimes works, the other one never works. The one I linked sends you to http://www.hayasoft.com/chisamin/mh3g/tsearch.cgi and will load for a while before failing 95% of the time. Make sure you haven't been using the wrong one.

I was using the right one. On about the 327th try (just guesstimating here) it finally went through. Table 10 it is! Ahoy. Now I can forget I ever had to go through all that nonsense and enjoy myself again.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

limbohead posted:

Completely agree that monster themes are great and need to be a thing, but THAT Daora theme is weak. The original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-rOzD2oIg This Daora theme on the other hand.

Actually I think that is just the Snowy Mountains theme, but since the zone and Daora showed up simultaneously he got attributed with it. Anyway, if they're going to bring back monster themes, they need to get the loving volume control options in the game menu, not the God damned title menu. SOME tracks are incredibly obnoxious; I rarely play with the music volume enabled.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Can I play the Wii U version of this using only the tablet screen? I don't own enough Wii U games to know how universal that feature is/is supposed to be.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Brett824 posted:

Can I play the Wii U version of this using only the tablet screen? I don't own enough Wii U games to know how universal that feature is/is supposed to be.

I thiiiink the OP says yes, after a patch coming this April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Ciaphas posted:

I thiiiink the OP says yes, after a patch coming this April.

Oh wow, didn't think that'd be answered in the OP. What a bummer.

• Locked thread