Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bleach is a manga series by Tite Kubo, the mangaka of Zombie Powder. It follows the life of Ichigo Kurosaki, a 15-year-old high school student with the ability to see ghosts, and a shinigami ("death god") named Rukia Kuchiki, who crosses paths with him one day while searching for a hollow (an evil spirit). During the ensuing confrontation with the spirit, she is wounded and forced to transfer virtually all of her powers into Ichigo. Thus the adventures of Ichigo and Rukia begin. Together they search for hollows and perform soul burials on wayward souls, cleansing the spirits and sending them to Soul Society. The early parts of the story focus mainly on the characters and their past, rather than the actual occupation of the shinigami. However, as events unfold, the story begins to delve deeper into the world of these shinigamis on the "other side" called Soul Society.

Useful Links
-MangaFox
-MangaReader
-MangaStream
-Mangahelpers
-Bleach Wikia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Well this is exciting. We don't get a chapter this week, right?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
May as well do this for this thread too.

Top Posters of Thread 13

code:
Serious Frolicking 	623
tsob 			254
Nilbop 			231
Gyges 			211
Silver2195 		180
DrSunshine 		167
Kild 			160
RatHat 			154
VJeff 			140
Rainbow Pony Deluxe 	133
pixaal 			132
I barely break into the top 20 this time.
:toot:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh my god I need to get out of my apartment more.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Whoa. Sixth. :blush: I had no idea I posted that much in the Bleach thread... I thought that I commented quite infrequently! Of course, since it's nearly 4 times less than the highest ranked poster, and since the Bleach 13 thread lasted a really long time, I guess it's more of a duration thing.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
"Yhwach" is gonna be corrected at some point right? I don't see how "Yuuhabahha" can be compressed into.. that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thread title should say YHWACH. Kubo put a lot of effort into his bullshit spelling and we should respect that.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Is there a reason for his fixation with using random words from other languages, first Spanish and now what I can only assume is German? Does he dabble, or is it just because western culture is so *edgy*?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It's a lack of effort really. Can't think of a cool name? Just grab some word from another language, preferably German. The Japanese got this thing for German words.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I guess Japan is still stuck on the axis or something? Idunno

As long as they keep trying to dramatically say German words they can't pronounce in anime it's fine. That poo poo never gets old

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

swmmrmanshen posted:

Is there a reason for his fixation with using random words from other languages, first Spanish and now what I can only assume is German? Does he dabble, or is it just because western culture is so *edgy*?

Mulderman posted:

It's a lack of effort really. Can't think of a cool name? Just grab some word from another language, preferably German. The Japanese got this thing for German words.

Last thread's second to last page posted:

Jo Kaps: "BLEACH is full of different languages. Quincys utilize the German language, the Arrancar name everything in Spanish. Fullbringers use English terms. Why?"

Kubo: "As for the Arrancar, I think that Spanish sounds very passionate and a little erotic, so it matches their wild lifestyle. German sounds cold, harsh and methodic, something that matches the straight-forward methods of the Quincys. I would also like to use French at some point, because it sounds very elegant. But I can't figure out a good way to include it into the story."

I know it's this thread's gimmick to rag on Kubo for everything (except Kenpachi), but when you're outright ignoring the dude's own explanations it gets ridiculous.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Prison Warden posted:

Top Posters of Thread 13

code:
Serious Frolicking 	623
tsob 			254
Nilbop 			231
Gyges 			211
Silver2195 		180
DrSunshine 		167
Kild 			160
RatHat 			154
VJeff 			140
Rainbow Pony Deluxe 	133
pixaal 			132

140 posts of shameless Kubo apologism. :toot:

FredT.E.C.
Dec 28, 2006

I'm the shounen-prophet
Sadly enough, FredT.E.C. isn't on that list. I thought that guy was pretty funny.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

Top Posters of Thread 13

code:
Serious Frolicking 	623
tsob 			254
Nilbop 			231
Gyges 			211
Silver2195 		180
DrSunshine 		167
Kild 			160
RatHat 			154
VJeff 			140
Rainbow Pony Deluxe 	133
pixaal 			132

Given my ranking on all the lists for the new threads, it's pretty clear that my job is way better than I gave it credit. Now if only I could get them to let me drink while I'm there.

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
If only Kubo could deliver as much content as you guys do.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I was looking at the OP image for several full minutes wondering what the gently caress I was looking at. This comic is a shitfest.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I remember when I could look forward to making a post every week, usually between Sunday and Monday. Not anymore. :(

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Swillkitsch posted:

I was looking at the OP image for several full minutes wondering what the gently caress I was looking at. This comic is a shitfest.

What? Ichigo's rear end whooping of Aizen was awesome.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

What? Ichigo's rear end whooping of Aizen was awesome.

I still like Bleach and can be something of an apologist, but the entire final gestuga tenshou stuff was terrible. The transformation was fun, but all it did was let Ichigo launch one really powerful attack? At least give it a suite of abilities with mugetsu as just the final one. Make it clear that Aizen will just regenerate even against a crazy transformed perfect Ichigo. Make the rad demon thing Aizen became actually make the transformation necessary.

Basically, for something almost the entire series led up to (at that point) the entire fight was a letdown.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, the pacing there left a lot to be desired. Maybe Kubo was under pressure to finish the arc quickly, but seeing Ichigo just stand there and whack Aizen with one big gently caress You attack (that didn't even kill him!) was kind of a let down.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

SerSpook posted:

I still like Bleach and can be something of an apologist, but the entire final gestuga tenshou stuff was terrible. The transformation was fun, but all it did was let Ichigo launch one really powerful attack? At least give it a suite of abilities with mugetsu as just the final one. Make it clear that Aizen will just regenerate even against a crazy transformed perfect Ichigo. Make the rad demon thing Aizen became actually make the transformation necessary.

Basically, for something almost the entire series led up to (at that point) the entire fight was a letdown.

Horror monster Aizen and Ichigo bitch smacking him around despite his exuding smugness was what I waited years for, don't know about you guys.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I think one area the manga was definitely improved upon by the anime was Aizen's descent and breakdown into rage (Hayami Shou's k-rad performance didn't hurt either.) His escalating anger, from his sword shaking in his hand and his brow and face gradually curling into a grimace of seething hatred was well done.

For five long years Aizen basically had his way with everyone, and everything, including the reader. Regardless of whether he used overpowering strength or omgwtfbs, he remained unassailable and completely in control. We knew nothing of his background and Kyoukasuigetsu meant we couldn't take anything for granted. The closest anyone ever came before to disrupting that was Gin, but since that was ALSO just as planned it doesn't really count.

I think that was the point of his character. It's why we never had any background story on him (I believe Kubo even said as much.) Free of any familiarity with his past experiences (And most importantly, experiences learned from failures) he was well beyond the reach of lesser beings. We never saw him in any moments of true vulnerability. Thus he was mysterious as well as powerful, and seemed capable of anything. The one or two instances where it seemed otherwise were nothing more than cruel illusions that served to further solidify his indestructibility without offering so much as a glimmer of hope or progress.

And then within the span of like three chapters he suddenly loses his poo poo and it's glorious.

It wasn't a snatch-victory-from-the-jaws-of-defeat-at-the-last-second fight we were building up to. After that long it would have been insufficient. Ichigo didn't need to just beat Aizen, he had to forcibly tear his entire concept to pieces. Thus the one sided beatdown. To see this smug puke finally torn down from his lofty pedestal.

The Deicide arc is well named, for we witness the death of his mythical godly invulnerability. Aizen wasn't just defeated, he was de-fanged. Never again will Aizen be able to pose such a great threat (From a narrative point of view.) Never again will the reader be able to take him as seriously as they had before. If he escaped from jail in the next chapter he would still be unable to reclaim his mantle. The scars of his defeat are too deep. He probably has no where to go but down, especially if we do ever learn of his past pre-TBTP.

tl;dr
what Two Tone Shoes said

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

FredT.E.C. posted:

Sadly enough, FredT.E.C. isn't on that list. I thought that guy was pretty funny.

Aren't you writing Bleach now? I swore you were with everything that's been going on with Ichigo here as of late. It's pretty much everything you've predicted. I can't imagine you having much time to post anymore.

FredT.E.C.
Dec 28, 2006

I'm the shounen-prophet
Nope, I think I will be having to call my lawyers because I clearly label all of my fanfic as "Do Not Steal". No more ghost cyborg arc. No more Rukia turning to the dark side. No more Rukia coming back from the dark side but staying just a little bit badass. No more badass Rukia high fiving Ichigo after cutting a menos in half. If Kubo is going to steal my work, I'm just going to have to sue his pants right off.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Alright, I'm just going to admit it. I don't get the thread title.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
YHWACH or something like that is the official name for Bach. It is prime Kubo.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
:wtc:

Is that even said in the manga anywhere or did I completely miss it?

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing

Serious Frolicking posted:

YHWACH or something like that is the official name for Bach. It is prime Kubo.

Oh man I didn't really get the thread title but I had a feeling it was something stupid like that.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
Here is some promotional art where they Romanize the name:

http://i.imgur.com/Et2B0pA.png

YWACH

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I figured he was going for YHWH but just Kubo'd it up.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Why the hell am I so high on this list I feel like I barely posted at all in the last two years.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

Nilbop posted:

Why the hell am I so high on this list I feel like I barely posted at all in the last two years.

The last thread goes back to June 2011.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415940

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Stoph posted:

Here is some promotional art where they Romanize the name:

http://i.imgur.com/Et2B0pA.png

YWACH
Shake yo Äs Nödt, but YWACH yourself

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Prison Warden posted:

Top Posters of Thread 13

code:
Serious Frolicking 	623
tsob 			254
Nilbop 			231
Gyges 			211
Silver2195 		180
DrSunshine 		167
Kild 			160
RatHat 			154
VJeff 			140
Rainbow Pony Deluxe 	133
pixaal 			132

How the hell did I pull that off? I swear I don't post here much.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Surec posted:

Shake yo Äs Nödt, but YWACH yourself

This should have been the thread title.

Yhwach is such a bizarre name. I think it's supposed to be said, "yivach", with the ch being the throaty "ch" sound (think groundskeeper Willy on the Simpson's "alch!"). That's the only way I can imagine it being said based on the katakana.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
well he's spirit german so the w is actually a v so the "ba" makes more sense in that context

it's much more amusing to imagine yamamoto just make a confused coughing/gagging sound in an attempt to say his name.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 25, 2013

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lamebot posted:

well he's spirit german so the w is actually a v so the "ba" makes more sense in that context

it's much more amusing to imagine yamamoto just make a confused coughing/gagging sound in an attempt to say his name.
For his bankai, his name grows a few extra ü's, wa's and ch's, and lobotomizes anyone trying to pronounce it.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Bisse posted:

For his bankai, his name grows a few extra ü's, wa's and ch's, and lobotomizes anyone trying to pronounce it.

I was gonna say something about Quincies not having bankais but then I remembered this is Bleach so gently caress it

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

HerraS posted:

I was gonna say something about Quincies not having bankais but then I remembered this is Bleach so gently caress it

YWACH already has a sword as his main weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So, after stopping reading Bleach after Aizen's defeat I've spent the last week catching up.

The Fullbringer arc was woeful and pointless and the only real enjoyment I've had so far out of this Quincy arc is the Yamamoto fight, and even then OOPS TOO BAD THAT'S NOT THE VILLAIN and he gets one-shot. At least now there's more Isshin, more Isshin is always a welcome thing.

Also Rukia really needs to stop showing up just to get defeated. She's making Renji look good at this point. Renji!

So now I'm caught up and as bored and disappointed as all of you and I'm sure I'll keep reading just to find out where the hell this is going.

Great. :geno:

• Locked thread