Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Beat Leon's campaign with my friend today, always-on voice makes the Agent Hunt invasions... interesting. :v: At one point it sounded like two guys were in and one was just shouting "kill those niggers" repeatedly. And then later one of the Regenerators was apparently being piloted by a baby, which was actually sort of unnerving.

Also how the hell do I make Leon use two pistols at once? e: PC Version, haha. Although maybe the HUD was showing a tiny key that I just didn't see. I could see the gun and double gun icon but didn't see anything next to it.

Geight fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
While you're aiming (I think?) press triangle. It actually shows you in the HUD, there's a little triangle icon next to the two guns symbol, but it's a tiny detail and easily missed.

edit: oh, er, you're on PC or something. Look at the HUD anyway.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Geight posted:

Also how the hell do I make Leon use two pistols at once? e: PC Version, haha. Although maybe the HUD was showing a tiny key that I just didn't see. I could see the gun and double gun icon but didn't see anything next to it.

Press E when aiming.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Thanks, that two gun icon was driving me up the wall all campaign long and then Leon actually -used- two guns in a cinematic.

Chippzz
Mar 22, 2008
So I got the Steam version of this game and having a blast with it until the game got stuck on a loading screen. After ones of the bosses in the Leon campaign the game just sits on the loading screen and keep flipping through the tips. Is this a known issue and does anyone know how to solve it?

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Is there some reason for Mercenaries to have time extensions instead of just having the timer start at 8 minutes or so? Is picking them up before killing anything not the best way?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I remember in RE4 I found the best way to go about things was to plan a route that would take you past all the time extensions, the castle was the best example of that because you slowly worked your way up until you were in the room with the secret sliding walls and no more time extensions left on the map. I didn't spend enough time with RE5 mercenaries to get the same level of familiarity with all the maps, but it didn't seem as necessary to do that in order to get the best ranking.

I haven't really sat down with RE6 mercenaries yet, but it did seem to take quite awhile for the enemies to start showing up so maybe it would just be better to grab all the extensions first.

Geight fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 24, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unbearable posted:

Is there some reason for Mercenaries to have time extensions instead of just having the timer start at 8 minutes or so? Is picking them up before killing anything not the best way?

It is part of keeping you moving. If you run and get all the extension first you're technically wasting time compared to getting the extensions as you fight.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

RBX posted:

Really, they put that great manual online only? Devs make million dollar games but cant print a frucking manual these days. Its ridiculous. And that's a great manual.

A fun fact about games development right now is that when you're making physical discs, the cost of printing the manual and cover is easily the most expensive part of the production. The DVD and its case might as well be free, but any large-scale printing onto paper is much more expensive than you'd think.

It's why, as game development's innate cost has gone up in the last few years, manuals have become smaller, multi-lingual, and less useful. It's more cost-effective to include tutorials in the game than to spend a significant portion of the production budget on printing the manual. They just didn't do that as well this time, and I have to imagine it's at least partially due to the abbreviated release schedule.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Could you elaborate a bit on the abbreviated release schedule? I thought RE6 took awhile to come out, considering they released Operation: Raccoon City just to basically tide people over for it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

When it was first announced last year, it was going to come out in late November around Thanksgiving. During E3 2012, Capcom suddenly moved the release date up to early October, which cut seven weeks off their production schedule. They've never said why, but last November would've been a brutal time to put out a game, between Assassin's Creed III, the Wii-U launch, Halo 4, and the new Call of Duty.

Those seven weeks are clearly time they'd reserved for a last round of bug-checking and some balance and gameplay tweaks, which they ended up doing after the fact in the various content patches.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It still underperformed, didn't it?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Only in terms of what Capcom wanted to happen. IIRC, they wanted to move five million copies and "only" moved four.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Unbearable posted:

If you play with another player, and there's some degree of communication, one of you can go look for the time extensions while the other starts killing stuff. If you are playing solo, just make a route that takes you through all the items and extensions. Some maps, like Urban Chaos, require that you employ some special tactic - for example, I think that at 48-49 combo, enemies will start spawning on the passageway above the street, so you got to be there or throw a grenade up there towards the explosive barrel to keep the combo flowing.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. Just felt that the spawns were so scarce in Urban Chaos that trying to collect the time while keeping the combo up was a bit too difficult. Then again, I didn't really know the map at that point. :v:

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Wanderer posted:

Only in terms of what Capcom wanted to happen. IIRC, they wanted to move five million copies and "only" moved four.

I think it was actual worse than that, Capcom's original estimate was something like 7 million and then they revised it to 5. Even at somewhere between 4 and 5 million, that's still good sales numbers, unless the game had a gigantic budget, especially considering all those negative reviews it got.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I wouldn't think it would be the QA that really did it in though.

RE4 is really the pinnacle of the series. Saying it's been downhill ever since is kind of a disservice because 'not quite as good as RE4' is still a heck of a compliment. It's unfortunate they feel the need to keep revising the inventory system when 4's is, in my opinion, obviously the best. if the "you have 8 blue boxes and everything takes up one blue box" system was good enough for six or seven games then why couldn't we stick with 4's system for a few?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I picked up RE6 when it was on sale furing the Xbox Live thing they did recently. I've been kind of struggling with it. I'm having the same troubles I had when I first played it, namely that the game doesn't explain things very well, or convey information to you effectively at all. I am enjoying it a lot more than I did when I first played it, but I thought it was pretty terrible when I first gave it a shot, so that doesn't mean much.

I'm going through Leon's campaign first this time. I'm up to the Church boss-fight, or rather just after the Church segment. Done all the puzzles, killed the wierd, wheezing gas monster, gone down and found the Ada link.

Anybody have any recommendations for things to keep in mind for the rest of it. I'm playing as Helena, who is a way more interesting protagonist at this point, if that helps.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Dan Didio posted:

I picked up RE6 when it was on sale furing the Xbox Live thing they did recently. I've been kind of struggling with it. I'm having the same troubles I had when I first played it, namely that the game doesn't explain things very well, or convey information to you effectively at all. I am enjoying it a lot more than I did when I first played it, but I thought it was pretty terrible when I first gave it a shot, so that doesn't mean much.

I'm going through Leon's campaign first this time. I'm up to the Church boss-fight, or rather just after the Church segment. Done all the puzzles, killed the wierd, wheezing gas monster, gone down and found the Ada link.

Anybody have any recommendations for things to keep in mind for the rest of it. I'm playing as Helena, who is a way more interesting protagonist at this point, if that helps.
Yes. Use the quick shot with the Hydra all day every day.

Edit: Helena is the last person in this game that I'd deem "interesting", and that's really saying something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I wouldn't think it would be the QA that really did it in though.

RE4 is really the pinnacle of the series. Saying it's been downhill ever since is kind of a disservice because 'not quite as good as RE4' is still a heck of a compliment. It's unfortunate they feel the need to keep revising the inventory system when 4's is, in my opinion, obviously the best. if the "you have 8 blue boxes and everything takes up one blue box" system was good enough for six or seven games then why couldn't we stick with 4's system for a few?

Because 4's inventory system isn't at all workable with online multiplayer. Even Dead Space streamlined their already streamlined system further when they implemented co-op.

It would be like those awful moments in DS3 when you join a co-op game and have to watch a dude spend twenty minutes at the bench adjusting his gun only for things beyond just the guns.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
I think RE5's inventory system is the best, from a co-op point of view. It's simple, and easy to access with hotkeys. I also liked having to share ammo and recovery items with my co-op partner.

RE6's inventory system is cumbersome with its two axis cycling and total lack of control over what weapons to equip.

If there was ever a single player RE again, 4's inventory system would be nice to have again.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RageBeef posted:

I think it was actual worse than that, Capcom's original estimate was something like 7 million and then they revised it to 5. Even at somewhere between 4 and 5 million, that's still good sales numbers, unless the game had a gigantic budget, especially considering all those negative reviews it got.

RE6 supposedly had like a 600 person team working on it so chances are the production costs where pretty high.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think Resident Evil 5 has the best inventory system. You don't have to pause to access it (although I know that's "un-Resident Evil", it is more fitting for an action game) and I like how it matters where you position each item in your inventory - especially when you get good at quickly reloading your weapon mid-melee or mid-ladder climb.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Cyra posted:

Edit: Helena is the last person in this game that I'd deem "interesting", and that's really saying something.

Really? Maybe it's just because I don't remember much of the story from the first time I played it, but I'm really enjoying the way her and Leon play off each other.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The final Mercenaries stage is pretty much the insides of a UFO.

What the gently caress.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

RageBeef posted:

As mentioned before, it had a 600 man production team.

And it's sales are worse than RE5.

It was a disappointment for Capcom both in terms of what they've invested and that they couldn't surpass RE5 (which likely had way less production costs/cheaper to make so chances are, it was more profitable than RE5)

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
That really seems like a misquote or horrible interview editing.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Cyra posted:

Yes. Use the quick shot with the Hydra all day every day.

Agreed. I would call her irritating though.

:j: "Leon, we need to go to this place."
:v: "Why?"
:j: "I can't tell you."

:v: "Is this what you wanted to show me?"
:j: "Nope! I'll tell you when we find it."

:v: "Ok, we found the thing you haven't been talking about, give me some answers."
:j: "Let's talk later!"

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Klaus Kinski posted:

That really seems like a misquote or horrible interview editing.

Not at all.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2012/01/25/resident_evil_6_trailer,_now_with_special_intros_from_the_dev_team

Straight from the mouth of the executive producer himself. Around the world, 600 involved.

When I was looking for this, another site said in comparison, Assassin's Creed 2 was made by 450, and GTA4 was estimated to be 1000.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Having only played one campaign in RE6 it's flat-out criminal that RE5 outsold it. I hope the PC release shores up enough support that they keep improving the quality of the ports. No GFWL is a godsend, next step is the addition of a PTT key.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
So, story wise in what order should I do the campaign for maximum effect? I know only that Ada should be done last.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Geight posted:

Having only played one campaign in RE6 it's flat-out criminal that RE5 outsold it. I hope the PC release shores up enough support that they keep improving the quality of the ports. No GFWL is a godsend, next step is the addition of a PTT key.

I'm really curious about if they really changed things for the PC version of if the console market is just a bunch of negative people. I really enjoyed RE6 when it came out but I remember a vocal majority of this thread being super anti-RE6 for it being bad.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Karanas posted:

So, story wise in what order should I do the campaign for maximum effect? I know only that Ada should be done last.

The order doesn't really matter that much. I can only think of one reveal that happens in Leon's campaign that would make it better to play Chris' and possibly Jake's campaigns first so you don't have that bit of metagame knowledge.

Tremors fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 24, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Len posted:

I'm really curious about if they really changed things for the PC version of if the console market is just a bunch of negative people. I really enjoyed RE6 when it came out but I remember a vocal majority of this thread being super anti-RE6 for it being bad.

Our mumble channel is basically my RE6 partner and I laughing and having fun with the game with everyone else just being perplexed at how we could be enjoying it, but as far as I can tell none of them actually played either version of the game. As far as PC amenities goes it controls well with KB+M and looks really nice with high settings.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Len posted:

I'm playing through the PC version with a friend and it's the same as the console one except with the latest patches and the bonus Mercs mode.

There's one hilarious oversight during the part where Helena has to carry Deborah where in the console versions you can't do anything except kick, but on PC they forgot to disable the roll shortcuts exclusive to it so you can roll sideways/backwards everywhere while carrying her.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I've only done a few chapters with Leon but I love it. The game is completely over the top, the set pieces are fun, and Leon has a back for trying to save people that will eventually die and try to kill him.

The port to PC runs smooth as silk and I don't need GFWL this time around. I let people join games and that's fun. I'm having a blast with it.

The only thing I can really complain about is that they really don't explain much of anything to you as far as gameplay or even where to unlock abilities. You really have to browse the menus to find anything. Other than that bravo Capcom on a great PC port.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RE6 caught a lot of flak because it wasn't even trying to be RE4. It was a product of the Capcom that gave us Lost Planet 2 - a quirky, distinct multiplayer-centric game as part of a traditionally singleplayer franchise. I notice a lot of reviews around the time of RE6 said that it's a generic third-person shooter now, but you keep running out of ammo. This does imply that even a lot of serious critics somehow failed to notice that the game is very much a shooter/brawler hybrid. Reminded me a bit of Sega's old Zombie Revenge.

It ain't perfect. It's a huge game but there's some clear padding in places, and some of the campaigns flow weirdly, but it's not the abomination against gaming that so many critics labelled it as. It's absolutely designed to be played with a buddy, though. If you're playing it solo, you're missing out on a large part of the experience.

The PC port is fantastic, too. Wider FOV, much clearer graphics and 60fps solid instead of struggling to hit 30 make it more playable all round.

Raziel 0128
Feb 18, 2011
I've been playing RE6 co-op on Steam and I really don't see a lot of the hate for RE6, I know most of the complaints levelled at 5 were it wasn't RE4 (admittedly the inventory system is stupid) or it's not scary (neither is 4).

The lack of Games for Windows live is fantastic already, the £20 for RE5 and 6 was more than worth it for the amount of fun we've had in co-op so far. Chris Redfield has the best facial expressions since Re5, he's like a sad dog trying to understand why he can't have your bacon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Geight posted:

Our mumble channel is basically my RE6 partner and I laughing and having fun with the game with everyone else just being perplexed at how we could be enjoying it, but as far as I can tell none of them actually played either version of the game. As far as PC amenities goes it controls well with KB+M and looks really nice with high settings.

So it is just a case of gamers being gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Len posted:

I liked RE6 on console (360), but could only finish one campaign before I got frustrated with the framerate, FOV, and controls. The PC version solves pretty much all those problems for me, so for me, it really is much better even if the core game is the same.