Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Mounted Gunners have some weeeeeird AI settings. Their Fire at Will gets randomly turned off between volleys, and they ignore Line of Sight - if there's a Shattered guy running in front of them, but there's my Yari Cav unit blocking their LOS, they'll just fire into my Cavalry till they can get the fucker. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I finally got around to a FOTS campaign, and holy poo poo are artillery and Tosa Riflemen OP, especially together.

Those Riflemen are sharpshooters, but with spencer repeating rifles and 55 reload skill. I watched them rout a group of levy spearman in 75 meters. I don't think rifle type actually matters in RoF but its still ridiculous they have the reload skill of Marines. One of my auto-battles they got 900 kills on defense and ranked up 5 xp levels :v:

Also, one of the mods on Steam gets bayonets to work for FOTS, and they are fully animated and everything. He does a couple stupid things though, like giving Red/Black Bear infantry them when they were generally sword carrying soldiers in history. He also didn't add the bayonets for Spencers, which also work just fine. Both are really easy fixes if anyone is interested.

My version currently has Tosa riflemen for Satsuma, because I love their starting area and that blacksmith.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 24, 2013

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Mazz posted:

Also, one of the mods on Steam gets bayonets to work for FOTS, and they are fully animated and everything. He does a couple stupid things though, like giving Red/Black Bear infantry them when they were generally sword carrying soldiers in history. He also didn't add the bayonets for Spencers, which also work just fine. Both are really easy fixes if anyone is interested.

I would be quite interested in this. Also it's good to know that Tosa Riflemen are so good - I was about to start a new game after getting bored of a Nagoaka campaign after seeing that my faction controlled 58 provinces 40 turns in, and was already planning on playing as the Tosa due to their increased bombardment range, and the fact that starting from an island means I don't have to deal with being penned in by allies.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Mazz posted:

I don't think rifle type actually matters in RoF.

It does actually, it's been tested, I forget what the exact differences are though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah, that's been the case since Empire. It's somewhat counter-intuitive actually, since it means that a unit with high reload skill won't necessarily fire more quickly - put Tosa Riflemen with base reload skill up against Matchlock Samurai with a whole bunch of reload skill boosts from veterancy and buildings and whatever up against each other, and the Tosa Riflemen will still fire more quickly.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Yeah I wish they would't hide stats like that. Speed is another one, it was really counter intuitive to find out that Yari cav are faster than Light Cav.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Shorter Than Some posted:

Yeah I wish they would't hide stats like that. Speed is another one, it was really counter intuitive to find out that Yari cav are faster than Light Cav.

Same speed, I thought? I know they get caught when trying to run away due to the charge speed bonus that all units get, but I'm pretty sure Yari and Light cavalry have the same base speed.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Shorter Than Some posted:

It does actually, it's been tested, I forget what the exact differences are though.

Interesting, now I have the urge to dig through the .pack files to find it. I really don't like hidden stats like that.

Right now I have a custom pack file that does 5 things:

-Adds bayonets to all generic infantry above line infantry, including Tosa riflemen. I disabled bayonets on all other "named" infantry because one of the TWC threads discussed it and it just seemed more interesting to leave those guys traditional with swords. Adding and removing them is as easy as one line in the units tables though once you have the equipment and animation table stuff.
-Before I realized how actually retarded Tosa riflemen could be, I turned them into a standard line unit with 150 men, stats the same as Red Bear infantry, and the kneel fire toggle. This combo is a bit excessive but I don't really care because its awesome. I also changed the faction and name to Satsuma right now, but that's a really easy change too. Their audio still uses the "Tosa riflemen" quotes because I didn't feel like digging that up after realizing it.
-Incorporated that reduced cost + upkeep steam mod because the economy just seems off when a stack of decent units basically rapes your economy until you have a lot of improved buildings and trade. Problem is you don't really make any money, and that was boring. Also added a building slot to each foundation tree, but it still maxes at the current total of 6-7 because that's hard coded.
-Added the steam naval fire resistance mod that drops the values pretty significantly (like 0.7 max to 0.25 max), fires seem really dumb in naval with explosive shot, boats surrendering in 2 barrages. This definitely helped although my last battle bugged out because my Frigates refused to shoot automatically, and in manual mode my cursor always turned white way below the waterline of the target. Don't think it's related though, not a common problem.
-Added the campaign time increase mod, 22 years for FOTS. I kinda grabbed this on a whim, it doesn't actually seem all that necessary but I'd rather have it and beat it then want it in a incompatible save.

I assume the Bayonet stuff is the most relevant, the rest is basically on steam in pure form with very slight changes. I know you guys play this differently then me and a lot of that might be unwelcomed. If not though I can host that file directly. Otherwise, let me know if you want to know how to make the changes to the steam files or what your looking for in a .pack file and I can throw it together, for some weird reason I really love text editing the Total War games.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 24, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Electric Pope posted:

I would be quite interested in this.

Here, have my small 'makes FOTS much funner to play!' mod list I wrote up in the thread ages ago.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fall Of The Samurai Mods: STEAM WORKSHOP ADDITION!

Time again for a brief round up of Mods that'll make playing FOTS a little bit better. Before we begin I'd just like to drop this little sound fix for sound issues when installing mods that add new units to the game.

Simply download Sinfonia Semplice and unpack it in your Shogun 2 data folder after adding the new units to the game.

I'm going to be brief with what these mods do, since you'll be clicking the Workshop Links for a closer look anyways.

Expanded Campaign Time Limit

Extends the time limit given by the campaigns with the following. Works on all Shogun 2 DLC.

+60 years for Shogun 2 campaign
+22 years for FoTS campaign
+60 years for Rots campaign

FOTS Defences Rebalance

Tweaks and cheapens both the cost and research rate for fortress defences for both you and the AI factions.

Occupation Resistance

AI factions don't get any negative penalties for rolling into enemy factions and don't need to garrison them. This adds this to them and forces them to hold their new holdings for some time ending the blitzkrieg expansion of some factions in a handful of turns. Works for Shogun 2, Rise and Fall.

Bayonet Mod

Adds bayonets to most line infantry in Fall using tweaked Yari animations. Looks pretty decent actually.

FOTS Random AI Personality Mod

A personal favourite that truly randomises the faction AI of Fall. Some factions will now switch sides or try for a Republic and invade other factions instead of doing the same stuff over and over again.

Fall Of The Samurai Artillery Mod

Expands Artillery selection heavily with Napoleonic and Victorian smoothbores and howitzers, rockets and Mortars for defence. Even has horse propelled light artillery and the AI uses it all.

I got an earlier one in the thread that has the good ole' historically authentic reskins if your into that stuff too. These mini mods made a huge difference especially bayonets and the expanded artillery one.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Here, have my small 'makes FOTS much funner to play!' mod list I wrote up in the thread ages ago.

I got an earlier one in the thread that has the good ole' historically authentic reskins if your into that stuff too. These mini mods made a huge difference especially bayonets and the expanded artillery one.

Definitely going to need to add some of those, I realize now how nice that occupation one would be considering Tosa owns like 19 provinces already and I'm maybe 30 turns in. :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think it is sort of insane the AI doesn't get occupation penalties by default.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
On that artillery pack, does it really add anything specific or just up the unit variants and add garrison artillery? Do the 12 pounders really bring anything new, or the Napoleon guns add explosives like it sounds? Is the version with the new smoke mod good or bad?

I'm not big on custom unit packs, so I figured I'd ask before I throw it in.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There is quite a bit of variety yeah, the older smoothbore pieces and howitzers give you something on a budget the Horse Guns make leap frogging with mounted cav possible and you have a non terrible artillery piece to station in your forts and use defensively.

The AI happily builds and uses the new artillery pieces with no issues too. The smoke looks cool. Not tried the version with Cannister though.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

The "makeup" is called Kohl/Kihl is still in use today by both men and women in the middle east. Its usually applied around the eyes to protect it from dust, plus also apparently meant to extract mucus from the eye, or something like that its a hygiene thing. It also has other uses but its outside this threads scope.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mazz posted:

On that artillery pack, does it really add anything specific or just up the unit variants and add garrison artillery? Do the 12 pounders really bring anything new, or the Napoleon guns add explosives like it sounds? Is the version with the new smoke mod good or bad?

I'm not big on custom unit packs, so I figured I'd ask before I throw it in.

You can actually capture the garrison artillery and bring it along with you to your next siege a la the Guns of Ticonderoga. Makes playing a fully traditional army somewhat more feasible, since you can actually shoot back.

I don't think they have any real advantages over Parrott guns though, and certainly not over Armstrong guns. They're mostly added flavor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Parrot and Armstrong guns are limited to you and the AI via the highest tier of Artillery buildings so it'll take a bit to get them so you won't steam roll the enemy with a stack with a couple of them at least until late campaign when you really want to finish things up.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think it is sort of insane the AI doesn't get occupation penalties by default.

Yea, AI is sorta dumb anyway and will straight out abandon cities they've only just taken and wander off even though my army is really close by :suicide: Maybe, they'll actually bother sticking about if they have to. AI should really prioritize killing armies rather than cities anyway.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ya I'd be intrested in those reskins, also any recommendations for Shogun 2 or RotS?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Afraid not on that front, I play more of Fall than I do of Vanilla.

But here is the mega faction uniform reskin mod and the fixed Western Marine Uniforms mod too.

The guy who did the uniform reskins has a mini mod which gives all Imperial factions the more modern Tosa clan style Western uniforms too and has a faction map recolour/historical banners mons thing going on too.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So, for some reason there will be a tie in book for Rome 2 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-War-Rome-Carthage-bestselling/dp/0230770940 .

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
Man, legendary is such bullshit. You have all these economic negative modifiers, and the AI get crazy economic boosts and free units. You basically have to just abuse the fact that the battle AI still isn't very good and win against superior numbers and superior troops.

I'm doing a co-op campaign on legendary, and it's frustrating but my friend and I are making it through. I'm Date, he's Uesuegi.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Lord Tywin posted:

So, for some reason there will be a tie in book for Rome 2 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-War-Rome-Carthage-bestselling/dp/0230770940 .

quote:

Based on Total War: Rome II, the bestselling game, Destroy Carthage is the first in an epic series of novels. It is not only the tale of one man’s fate, but is also a journey to the core of Roman times, through the world of extraordinary military tactics and political intrigue that Rome’s warriors and citizens used to cheat death.

How the heck are you based on a game which is based on history? :psyduck:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

If they can make a game based on a movie based on a game (Street Fighter) they can do this.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm replaying Medieval Total War 2 right now.

I seem to remember there was a way to see exactly where your units would stand after you gave them orders. Like, you held a button down and it showed these circles with a point on them telling you what direction they would face when your units got there and formed up. Is this feature not in MTW2?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I'm replaying Medieval Total War 2 right now.

I seem to remember there was a way to see exactly where your units would stand after you gave them orders. Like, you held a button down and it showed these circles with a point on them telling you what direction they would face when your units got there and formed up. Is this feature not in MTW2?

Space bar I think.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Flippycunt posted:

Space bar I think.

The only problem is that instead of staying lit the unit markers flicker at an insane rate.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Flippycunt posted:

Space bar I think.

Wow, I missed literally the biggest key on the keyboard :doh:

Thanks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You can also hold shift and the markers will show up until you release the key

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If you hold down the mouse and move it about while holding down space, it'll also allow you to make sure the units are spaced out as wide or narrow as you like, and facing the direction you want.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Thanks for the Shogun 2 archer help. I came to the conclusion last night that I'm terrible at the battle side of Shogun 2 after ashigaru armies go out of fashion and I'm saved by my campaign map management, abuse of ninja and autoresolve. Sabotage their reinforcements, hit them with multiple stacks, click win button. :getin: When I'm in control, my armies take pretty heavy casualties.

Also Fall of the Samurai has the ugliest unit pictures. I miss colours other than brown.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is Fall of the Samurai worth the $6 if I'm feeling a little burnt out on the Japan setting? I really should finish a game of Rise first since I've already paid for it but :effort:

Tommofork posted:

Also Fall of the Samurai has the ugliest unit pictures. I miss colours other than brown.

Can't be as ugly as some of the menu and background textures a lot of the mods use.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, it's worth $6. I paid whatever the release price was and was happy with my purchase.

I figured those images were supposed to look like old-timey tintypes. Which were sepia. Why they didn't go for Daguerrotypes I'll never know.

Hand-colored photographs, even! I heard the 19th century Japanese were all over those.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ragingsheep posted:

Is Fall of the Samurai worth the $6 if I'm feeling a little burnt out on the Japan setting? I really should finish a game of Rise first since I've already paid for it but :effort:

Can't be as ugly as some of the menu and background textures a lot of the mods use.

The game plays quite differently, from the battles to the campaign (the campaign map is redone and realm divide is less stupid). If you're burned out on staring at a map of Japan, you'll still be staring at a map of Japan. But western style 19th century line-up-and-shoot warfare is definitely a huge change from 16th century Japanese hack-and-slash.

The portraits are done in the style of the old plate cameras. Ugly they are, but I quite like how they fit in with the 1860s setting.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ragingsheep posted:

The moment you hit a fortress wall with an Armstrong gun and somehow kill 112 levy garrison at once, you'll know where that $6 went.

The whole concept of artillery should make the game less fun, but it doesn't because its so god drat fun to watch.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 25, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I would love to see CA try to do an 40K Imperial Guard game, as long as I can stream unlimited amounts of cannon fodder and drop artillery all over the battlefield, which is honestly the reason I even like artillery to begin with.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Not 40K but I think more thematically in tune: http://www.creative-assembly.com/sega-and-creative-assembly-announce-partnership-with-games-workshop-to-create-warhammer-games/

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Sober posted:

I would love to see CA try to do an 40K Imperial Guard game, as long as I can stream unlimited amounts of cannon fodder and drop artillery all over the battlefield, which is honestly the reason I even like artillery to begin with.

I'd be pretty amused by a CA take on 40K if they model Space Marines the way the fluff handles them - tiny squads of five or so each breaking entire armies alone.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tomn posted:

I'd be pretty amused by a CA take on 40K if they model Space Marines the way the fluff handles them - tiny squads of five or so each breaking entire armies alone.
This would be hilarious because then there would be 40k spergs to ruin TWC even more.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tommofork posted:

Thanks for the Shogun 2 archer help. I came to the conclusion last night that I'm terrible at the battle side of Shogun 2 after ashigaru armies go out of fashion and I'm saved by my campaign map management, abuse of ninja and autoresolve. Sabotage their reinforcements, hit them with multiple stacks, click win button. :getin: When I'm in control, my armies take pretty heavy casualties.

If you want a pretty easy tactic that lasts me entire games, get a unit of katana samurai, a general that can use stand and fight, a bunch of ashigaru spearmen and bowmen. You use the spearmen to form your line, the bowmen behind them will soften up any enemies and use the katana samurai to cut across the line from the far right/left.

What should happen in a normal battle is that your guys should hold hold the line and any unit that isn't fighting once the katana guys pass them can be used to run back and reinforce further down the line or help the katana guys flank. Its a simple tactic and I took out a full stack of samurai using just ashigaru and two katana samurai with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

shalcar posted:

Same speed, I thought? I know they get caught when trying to run away due to the charge speed bonus that all units get, but I'm pretty sure Yari and Light cavalry have the same base speed.

You're probably right, I just remember there being something counter intuitive about it, it may have been just that light cav were no faster. Anyway the point still stands, why not just give us the stats upfront?