Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

HKR posted:

If you can solder slim PS2s aren't a nightmare to mod, just time consuming. Dreamcast modchips don't exist anymore.

That's a lot of wires but that was never the issue with the Fats, it was taking it apart and getting it back together again. I swear whoever designed that thing internally played too much Tetris and watched too much Hellraiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Djarum posted:

That's a lot of wires but that was never the issue with the Fats, it was taking it apart and getting it back together again. I swear whoever designed that thing internally played too much Tetris and watched too much Hellraiser.

My sister is letting me take back my fat ps2 I gave her a long time ago because I quit using it. It has a Neo 4 and Origa inside of it. I would open it to take pics whenever I pick it up but it'll likely explode from the 50+ wires used to mod it :psypop:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nuitari posted:

I have all of my original systems hooked up to my Trinitron in the bedroom. My 46" LED in the living room makes SD systems look beyond horrid. I may grab this simply due to the HDMI and have it be my one retro system for the living room. I also assume it'll take SFC cartridges? Quick googling it appears the last one did.

Yeah, I'm interested because it means a bunch of original consoles hooked up with one power source and one video source. And I can still use original controllers. Just gonna wait for a goon to review it and see if it's worth grabbing.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

flyboi posted:

Install emulator: turn scanlines on

Congrtats! You have a retron 4!

I don't think my emulators have options for scanlines.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

razorrozar posted:

I was going to say shame on you for not using ZSNES, but then I remembered that ever since I just went and bought most of the good SNES games, I haven't seriously used an SNES emulator in a few years, so I don't know if they're still the best option.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

razorrozar posted:

What emulators would that be? Most all that I can think of do support scanlines.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Midnight Raider posted:

I was going to say shame on you for not using ZSNES, but then I remembered that ever since I just went and bought most of the good SNES games, I haven't seriously used an SNES emulator in a few years, so I don't know if they're still the best option.

I do use ZSnes. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

I emulate handhelds more than consoles, for the most part, because GBA games on giant widescreen monitor are just awesome.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Midnight Raider posted:

Shame on your for not using BSNES. I bet you're one of those people who thinks an electric grill is just as good as a gas grill.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

al-azad posted:

Shame on your for not using BSNES. I bet you're one of those people who thinks an electric grill is just as good as a gas grill.

So using this analogy:

Electric Grills - Crappy emulators
Gas Grill - BSNES
Charcoal Grill - Actual consoles
George Foreman - Clones

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Raw chicken - Smart phone with touch screen controls

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Raw chicken - Smart phone with touch screen controls

Every time Square Enix puts out an iOS port I get hopeful that they've learned and well :smithicide:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

HKR posted:

Every time Square Enix puts out an iOS port I get hopeful that they've learned and well :smithicide:

The only port they have done that is any good is Secret of Mana which I was quite impressed with.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

Secret of Mana was the only quality one. It was pretty hi-res and you can tell it was a good port. Chrono Trigger comes off like it's running in an emulator. It's terrible.

They've remade FFIV like 12 times (and all were great), starting with the Wonderswan Color, then the Gameboy Advance, then iOS, then Wii, and an actual 3-d remake for the DS, but they can't, to this day, make a port of Chrono Trigger that is superior to the SNES one?

flyboi posted:

Oh god I read into the tenso deal... Might buy a xrgbmini even though I don't need it, the total cost would be like 350 :retrogames:

That's like $200 less than I paid. You'd be wasting money if you didn't get it! :v:

flyboi posted:

My sister is letting me take back my fat ps2 I gave her a long time ago because I quit using it. It has a Neo 4 and Origa inside of it. I would open it to take pics whenever I pick it up but it'll likely explode from the 50+ wires used to mod it :psypop:

It hasn't really gotten any better, either. The PS3, if you want to install a hacked firmware, used to just require some trickery with a thumb drive. Now, the soldering required to mod a PS3 puts PS2 modchips to shame.

The funniest thing I remember was XBox 1 modchips before the solderless one came out. It was batty; like 40 wires or so.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

HKR posted:

So using this analogy:

Electric Grills - Crappy emulators
Gas Grill - BSNES
Charcoal Grill - Actual consoles
George Foreman - Clones

Is george foreman not just an electric grill?
Where do ovens fit into this?

Charcoal grills are the best. I love the taste of charcoal lighter fluid.

We really need to get some organized emulator net play going on. Maybe even have some tournaments or something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Clones are this guy.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

They've remade FFIV like 12 times (and all were great), starting with the Wonderswan Color, then the Gameboy Advance, then iOS, then Wii, and an actual 3-d remake for the DS, but they can't, to this day, make a port of Chrono Trigger that is superior to the SNES one?

What was wrong with the DS version unless you prefer the old translation?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I have a CFW POS3.... I never use it. Anyways, I figured out how to do disc swaps on PAR since my modchip was a pile of rear end.

GUIDE TO DISC SWAPPING ON SATURN WITH PAR:

1) Get some electrical tape and tape the disc tray open/close so it always thinks it's closed
2) Put your burned game into your Saturn and plug the PAR in the back
3) Boot into PAR, select any cheats you need and then select start with cheats
4) You'll hear the laser move inwards where it's going to read the inner-ring for copy protection. Swap your game with any legit cd and let it read. The drive will spin slower while it reads this and then you'll start to hear the laser move back out
5) Quickly put your burned game back in, hooray free games!

Also if you're trying to use PAR for Panzer Dragoon Saga you need the following code or else it'll not play - http://www.thewilloftheancients.com/articles/panzer-dragoon-saga-action-replay-codes

quote:

Master Code: F6000914 C305 B6002800 0000

Cheat Code: 06002EB0 0009 (for playing the NTSC-U/PAL version with Action Replay card inserted)
Cheat Code: 06002ED0 0009 (for playing the NTSC-J version with Action Replay card inserted)

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Are clones really that bad if you aren't a super purist? I've been thinking about collecting old nes and snes games... But I don't have an old TV, I'd rather not get one, and would like something I can hook up via HDMI. I was seriously considering a retro5 with original nes/snes controllers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McFunkerson posted:

Are clones really that bad if you aren't a super purist? I've been thinking about collecting old nes and snes games... But I don't have an old TV, I'd rather not get one, and would like something I can hook up via HDMI. I was seriously considering a retro5 with original nes/snes controllers.

If you're going to be doing that, why not hook your computer up to the TV, run some good emulators, and buy those usb cartridge readers and usb controller adapters?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Quiet Feet posted:

...Gangster Town..

I just grabbed one for $5 shipped and can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

McFunkerson posted:

I don't mean to be a horrible hardware snob, but it's probably going to look terrible and have incompatibilities that may or may not annoy you.

There's a reason why the XRGBmini costs what it does and why the Retron costs $50.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I don't mean to be a horrible hardware snob, but it's probably going to look terrible and have incompatibilities that may or may not annoy you.

There's a reason why the XRGBmini costs what it does and why the Retron costs $50.

Saying that the only way for someone to get an acceptable picture quality, even for a non-purist, is to spend 3-400 dollars on an upscaler is actually pretty snobbish. Most people are hooking up their old consoles to an HDTV with composite, and this clone should at least look better than that.

Though really I would rather just hook up my PC to my TV and emulate instead, but that isn't practical for some people.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

If you're going to be doing that, why not hook your computer up to the TV, run some good emulators, and buy those usb cartridge readers and usb controller adapters?

Ehh...because unless your computer is permanently situated near your TV doing that would be a pain in the rear end? Once you decide it isn't necessary to use all original consoles, it's convenient to get a unit which can decently clone multiple systems. You can keep it permanently hooked up right in your living room, man cave, etc., you can enjoy saving space that would have been used up by multiple consoles, and you can appreciate having to use only one power source and video source. The objection right now seems to be "there's no such thing as decent cloning," but it's improving all the time; retron 5 seems like it will be a meaningful step forward.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So do I have to send an email to surugaya in response to the Automated email that I received regarding the order I placed?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I've been slowly reading this thread and love all of the stories and collections that have been shared so far. It's definitely made me want to head back to my parents' house and dig out my old consoles to set them up again.

Going off that, yesterday I bought a gameshark for the N64 to mess around with Goldeneye. When you plug it in with any game, the LED screen just reads "8" though. It seems like this is a common occurrence, but I can't find any definitive answers for fixing it. Is there something I can do, or is it dead?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

McFunkerson posted:

Simply put, an emulator is better than a clone in every way. If you want to play retro games but don't want real hardware cluttering your home then you definitely don't want to buy knock-off hardware. An emulator will also give give you perfectly clear visuals if you want to play old games but don't want them looking like rear end on a modern TV.

A USB port for all the major console controllers are maybe $10 a piece and there are even USB cartridge slots if you feel uncomfortable downloading roms or like the feeling of having an actual game to plug in.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

al-azad posted:

Simply put, an emulator is better than a clone in every way. If you want to play retro games but don't want real hardware cluttering your home then you definitely don't want to buy knock-off hardware. An emulator will also give give you perfectly clear visuals if you want to play old games but don't want them looking like rear end on a modern TV.

A USB port for all the major console controllers are maybe $10 a piece and there are even USB cartridge slots if you feel uncomfortable downloading roms or like the feeling of having an actual game to plug in.

That still doesn't help the dude who just wants to sit on his couch and play games on his TV but his computer is in another room or something. Emulators are not better in that way because you can't really take the emulator out of your computer and hook it up to your TV, or someone else's TV for that matter. Some people are just fine playing emulators on their computer, but other people don't want to do that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BoutrosBoutros posted:

That still doesn't help the dude who just wants to sit on his couch and play games on his TV but his computer is in another room or something. Emulators are not better in that way because you can't really take the emulator out of your computer and hook it up to your TV, or someone else's TV for that matter. Some people are just fine playing emulators on their computer, but other people don't want to do that.

What if... what if you had a htpc :aaaaa:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Clones are great if you just want to play early games in the respective console's lifespan, but then you start getting into later games like Castlevania III for the NES or Yoshi's Island for the SNES and poo poo goes downhill fast. Just know that the clone consoles aren't very well built and have compatibility issues if you plan on buying one.

EDIT: Had more stuff about getting an old CRT, but then I re-read the original post and deleted it. :/

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BoutrosBoutros posted:

If you have a laptop made in the past 4 years, you probably have an HDMI output on it. A simple Acer dual-core laptop with HDMI out is $300, maybe a little more. Get a USB SNES controller ($10-$20) and an HDMI cable ($5) and you have a full retro experience.

In comparison, a Retron is about $50 and then you have to actually own the games to play them. It will look like rear end on your modern TV without some kind of super expensive upscaler and there will be compatibility and sound issues with some games like Castlevania 3.

So what's the point in a clone system? If you want hardware, then buy the actual hardware. If you don't want hardware or want an all-in-one system, a laptop with HDMI out will serve you infinitely more purposes while still being completely portable.

The real kicker? Clones are almost always more expensive than the systems that clone them! An SNES, Genesis, or NES complete (and even with games) can be nabbed for about $50 on eBay. It would be different if they cloned TG-16 or Neo-Geo but no, they clone the most common systems with the widest distribution on inferior hardware that costs more money. Huh?

e: I forgot about HTPCs. Those are becoming more common and they're more portable than a laptop is.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 24, 2013

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Akileese posted:

So do I have to send an email to surugaya in response to the Automated email that I received regarding the order I placed?

No. You only have to respond to the email with the shipping cost on it. You'll get it in about 9 days.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BoutrosBoutros posted:

A cheap, used laptop could emulate most systems without problems (certainly any 2D system). You could even get one without a working screen since it will only be hooked up to a TV.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

People act like clone consoles are completely worthless but unless you grew up with the consoles or you look at a comparison video or something, you will not notice the emulator inaccuracies, though the compatibility problems are another thing. Stuff like the colors or sound not being quite right is really a non-issue if you're talking to a person who's never really played retro games but wants to check out a few systems on the cheap and not get into ROMs on the computer. However I would probably recommend ROMs and a controller plug before a clone console, just because if you're going to invest in the cartridges, you're selling yourself short not getting an actual console to go with it, which isn't very high of an investment if you're already buying the games and especially if you already have an older TV to use . And we're at a point in time now where you don't have to go to the creepy, unsafe underbelly of the internet and navigate weird Geocities websites or top 100 lists to find ROMs anymore, they're like any other kind of :filez: now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Ehh...because unless your computer is permanently situated near your TV doing that would be a pain in the rear end? Once you decide it isn't necessary to use all original consoles, it's convenient to get a unit which can decently clone multiple systems. You can keep it permanently hooked up right in your living room, man cave, etc., you can enjoy saving space that would have been used up by multiple consoles, and you can appreciate having to use only one power source and video source. The objection right now seems to be "there's no such thing as decent cloning," but it's improving all the time; retron 5 seems like it will be a meaningful step forward.
So buy a used laptop to run an emulator on. The RetroN 5 is supposed to cost around $100, a used laptop or desktop that could be hooked up to your TV would cost around that as well and run emulation a ton better than it will.

The RetroN 5 is only a meaningful step forward if you ignore every other way to have emulators. And that's what it is, a thing that runs emulators instead of being an actual clone console.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Hammond Edgar posted:

No. You only have to respond to the email with the shipping cost on it. You'll get it in about 9 days.

You also have to respond if they send an email noting they're combining orders

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Quick question: are the differences in pal and ntsc wii/gc games handled software or hardware side? For instance, if I were able to overcome the region locking, would I be able to play pal wii/gc discs in my ntsc wii?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
People have had success with playing games like the euro release of xenoblade on US systems. I think it involved forcing 480p / pal60 on whatever loader they used.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

BoutrosBoutros posted:

My computer in 2002 could emulate every single console, including the PS1. If you look around you could find an equivalent or better for free. VGA to your TV (Using a VGA to DVI or a DVI to HDMI converter, depending on the graphics card), USB controllers and presto, you have a far more capable retro system then any clone system ever made, and for free to less then $50.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Just to add to the emu-box discussion, I recently turned one of my old laptops into one and it works fantastically. Use a frontend like GameEX and set it to automatically startup when you load Windows. It can be controlled with a joypad and will let you select games by title instead of loading up an emulator and then wrestling with different interfaces. It takes some setting up but I have it outputting to a CRT TV via S-Video and it looks fantastic. BSNES (now higan) on a CRT is pretty drat close, and probably better than anything a Retron would put out.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Hell, how well does a raspberry pi emulate your standard fare? (Nes, snes, genesis, SMS, GB, GBA etc). That already has HDMI out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

wa27 posted:

Saying that the only way for someone to get an acceptable picture quality, even for a non-purist, is to spend 3-400 dollars on an upscaler is actually pretty snobbish. Most people are hooking up their old consoles to an HDTV with composite, and this clone should at least look better than that.

al-azad posted:

So what's the point in a clone system? If you want hardware, then buy the actual hardware.

My point is that I doubt (doubt! I could be completely wrong) that the new Retron is going to have a good scaler that improves 480i games thrown onto a 1080p screen via HDMI in any meaningful way. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that there will be little difference between the image you see on this thing via HDMI and via component. You don't have to be :spergin: to see that old consoles on a LCD don't look very good.

So that brings us to actual hardware which, as has been noted several times, does not suffer from incompatibility issues with games that you actually want to play. poo poo, on the GBA side, who knows what will or won't work with this thing. Is Drill Dozer going to make it freak the gently caress out? :iiam:

I agree that the HTPC/Laptop + USB adapters w/ 1st party controllers solution is the best solution if original consoles + a XRGBmini or CRT is not practical. It's space saving, provides you instant access to a complete library, and costs a lot less than buying multiple original consoles and a CRT or scaler.

• Locked thread