Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Welcome to the new Internet Critic Discussion Thread 2.0!

:siren:The rules: Read them or die.:siren:

-We discuss the critic's WORK, not their personal lives.

-Leave your :spergin: at the door. If you really have to discuss the details of a movie, game, or a piece of music that badly, take it to the respective sub-forum or just...don't.

-In the same vein, don't start political or religious debates.

-NO TWITTER DRAMA. This is not a Spoonywatch thread. Sometimes people say or do stupid things. This is not the place to discuss them.

SA's favorite critics

The Nostalgia Chick does a well thought out analysis on movies and nostalgic pop culture.

Oancitizen reviews arthouse flicks

The Cinema Snob reviews bad cinema with dry wit.

Todd reviews pop music of the past and present.

The home of Mr. Plinkett, Half in the Bag and the Star Wars Prequel reviews.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Thanks! Hopefully this new thread will catch on. :)

The Cinema Snob's 200th anniversary videos featuring I Spit on Your Grave have been excellent, and they appear to be a sort of sequel to The Cinema Snob Movie, since it features some characters from it. Part 1 Part 2

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
New Nostalgia Critic: An animated version of The King and I.

An average episode, but the wall joke was funny.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 21, 2014

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ugh, Little Things makes my skin crawl, I'm so glad Todd gave this tripe what it deserved.

Wasn't the NChick and Rantasmo crossover in the other thread? Oh well.

I haven't really checked out Spoony's Rebruary vids, for I'm not a big fan of Spoony.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yay new thread.

New Half In The Bag: "Oz: The Great And Powerful"

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-oz-the-great-and-powerful-and-return-to-oz/

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
If you guys go to https://www.chezapocalypse.com Lindsay has been writing a memoir about her life as a young fangirl in apparently a buttload of different fandoms, starting with her elementary-school obsession with cats.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, I'd never heard this song before, and I'm cringing hearing these lyrics. Seriously, when they start talking about the girl's weight, even I, a socially retarded grognard of a goon, start going "No don't, ixnay, abort ABORT :frogsiren:"

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

MisterBadIdea posted:

If you guys go to https://www.chezapocalypse.com Lindsay has been writing a memoir about her life as a young fangirl in apparently a buttload of different fandoms, starting with her elementary-school obsession with cats.

The cat town story made me sad :( I really enjoy her writing though- it's hard to be that honest about yourself.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alacron posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd never heard this song before, and I'm cringing hearing these lyrics. Seriously, when they start talking about the girl's weight, even I, a socially retarded grognard of a goon, start going "No don't, ixnay, abort ABORT :frogsiren:"
I'm just glad that unlike their other garbage, this One Direction song flopped on the charts. It's really offensive on multiple levels.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
In America it flopped. In their home country it was a #1 hit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm glad someone started this.

It was posted right as the last thread was ended but Jesuotaku is still doing her Winter Derby http://blip.tv/jesuotaku/anime-derby-winter-season-2013-r2p1-6548824.

The second part hasn't been posted yet though which is a shame.

Has Phelous slowed to a crawl at releasing content? He seemed to be on a huge roll of releasing stuff and he seems to have gone quiet.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Has Phelous slowed to a crawl at releasing content? He seemed to be on a huge roll of releasing stuff and he seems to have gone quiet.
He just did a two-parter on the latest "Resident Evil" movie: here and here. Its funny, if a little derivative of Red Letter Media. The main attraction here is seeing that there is no consistent plot thread between five movies.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 21, 2014

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Since our last thread, I've released a new Cheapskate Reviews for Ali Baba and the Seven Saracens.

Also, word is out that Chez Apocalypse is adding Sursum Ursa's Stuff You Like to their lineup. Yay for her!

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Head's up. If you watch any reviewers on Blip that don't use prerolls (commercials that play before the video) that's going bye-bye. From April 5th, Blip is putting prerolls in front of every video. So don't blame any producers for being money-grubbing dicks when you see a commercial before a thirty-second trailer or a five-minute video. It's gonna be mandatory.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jesto posted:

My biggest takeaway from the review is that he apparently hates FF9's art style? :stare: That's a first. I can't even see how anyone could call Zidane a furry without claiming the same thing of Goku, since they're basically both dudes with monkey tails.
Yeah I think he's said that since his FF8 review

Also Paw is continuing Beatles Month with Yellow Submarine
http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/music-movies-yellow-submarine/
I really like the camera that Paw uses, everything looks so clear.

And a new episode of 50 Shades of Green
http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/ep-6-dead-cthulhu-lies-dreaming-of-her/

You know the thing I appreciate about chez apocalypse is the little side bar that shows all the producers on the site, I love the drawings of them :3:

Oh and Linkara did his March of the Titans review Monday
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/38638-at4w-titans-retrospective-the-titans-1-25

Finally MikeJ reviews the film that started his show 4 years ago
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/mjtv/ss/38659-shameful-sequels-starship-troopers-3

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I did a blind review of the second volume of the Ranma 1/2 manga.

MrBtongue also did this great video on Blade Runner.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Oh and Ninja The Mission Force Season 2 is out on DVD
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/eg/ninja-the-mission-force/38666-ninja-the-mission-force-bruce-fights-back-from-the-grave
I think I might get this, I love Ed Glaser's work and really enjoyed Season 1.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
If it's Ok to shill your own show - I have a show! Well, sort of a couple of shows. I review LGBT movies (Infamous Queer and Gender Hipster Reviews) and period dramas (Period Drama Drama.)
My approach is a mix of humourous and analytical - I'd say my style is probably relatively similar to Oancitizen's.

I'm open to any recommendations/suggestions - I'd love it if anyone could suggest more good lesbian movies, as my show is VERY scant on lesbian content. I just find that gay male movies tend to have more interesting plots (whether in a good or bad way) whereas lesbian movies seem to be mostly about two feminine stereotypically attractive middle class white women falling in love tastefully. Or they're Black Swan. (I will be taking an axe to Black Swan VERY soon, don't you worry.)

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Infamous Sphere posted:

If it's Ok to shill your own show - I have a show! Well, sort of a couple of shows. I review LGBT movies (Infamous Queer and Gender Hipster Reviews) and period dramas (Period Drama Drama.)
My approach is a mix of humourous and analytical - I'd say my style is probably relatively similar to Oancitizen's.

I'm open to any recommendations/suggestions - I'd love it if anyone could suggest more good lesbian movies, as my show is VERY scant on lesbian content. I just find that gay male movies tend to have more interesting plots (whether in a good or bad way) whereas lesbian movies seem to be mostly about two feminine stereotypically attractive middle class white women falling in love tastefully. Or they're Black Swan. (I will be taking an axe to Black Swan VERY soon, don't you worry.)

I liked "Fingersmith" and "Tipping the Velvet" quite a bit- they are both movies based on books by the same author. Fingersmith is freaking awesome, so don't spoil yourself on it beforehand! They are both also period pieces.

e: I watched your Beauty review. I like your reviewing style- the only thing that sort of bugged me was the quick cuts of multiple camera angles on you while you were talking. It was a little distracting and seems unnecessary.

I'd watch more though- I enjoy the new perspective on films!

Leelee fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 23, 2013

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
New episode of Cheapskate Live! is here - The Diva of Musical Hell joins me to watch The Liberace Show.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A little late, but while the Son of the Mask review was weak, this was a return to form for new NC. I liked that he did a little research into the history of The King and I to provide context, his jokes were pretty on-target, and I really liked the "Pretty Princesses make up most of world history" line.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
MrBtongue, the guy behind Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage, has kicked off Creepy, Obsessive Nerdlove, which is going be a recurring thing where he goes into a work with a more analytic and positive spin on things.

First episode is about Blade Runner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrjHaDwev5U

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Red Letter Media just did a new episode of Best of the Worst where they looked at three movies I think a lot of people here are familiar with: "Deadly Prey", "Hard Ticket to Hawaii", and "Miami Connection". All three of these movies are well worth watching on their own if you like bad movies, but be warned, they do spoil some of the most batshit/funny parts in this video.

EDIT: I'm kind of amazed they didn't mention the alternate ending to "Miami Connection".

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 24, 2013

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Game Grumps is continuing to be awful lately. Their recent Wario World episode was infuriating. They skip a text box that tells them what to do and then when they get stuck they whine and moan about how unintuitive it is that the game didn't take them by the hand and show them exactly what to do.

Christ, just read the instructions, we can handle a little silence if it stops you from spending minutes acting like tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z42MvHUTME

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Game Grumps is continuing to be awful lately. Their recent Wario World episode was infuriating. They skip a text box that tells them what to do and then when they get stuck they whine and moan about how unintuitive it is that the game didn't take them by the hand and show them exactly what to do.

Christ, just read the instructions, we can handle a little silence if it stops you from spending minutes acting like tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z42MvHUTME

I didn't think this one was that bad. They edited out most of the fluff so it only came down to around a minuet, and there were some funny moments in there.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

NienNunb posted:

I didn't think this one was that bad. They edited out most of the fluff so it only came down to around a minuet, and there were some funny moments in there.

I guess it's just that it happens too drat much that it gets to me. I don't know why they don't just do that one little thing. The complaint that it's a podcast with video games being played as a side note is really valid. It's cool to chill and talk and laugh, but pay at least a little bit of attention to the game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

See now I thought in general the Game Grumps were getting better. They're talking about the game and going less off-topic now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just gonna put forth a motion and suggest we close down this thread any time Game Grumps are mentioned because 1) they don't review poo poo together, they just LP games, 2) they don't even LP very well, often ignoring what they're playing to talk about nothing, and 3) every time they were brought up in the last thread we'd get multi-page derails about how they were utter poo poo with some people weakly defending them by saying they're good background noise or that they are reviewers so totally belong in the thread, which is exactly the kind of poo poo that got the thread locked down and kicked out of PYF.

Just... it got really tiresome and it'd be great if we could avoid that kinda poo poo this time.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Leelee posted:

I liked "Fingersmith" and "Tipping the Velvet" quite a bit- they are both movies based on books by the same author. Fingersmith is freaking awesome, so don't spoil yourself on it beforehand! They are both also period pieces.

e: I watched your Beauty review. I like your reviewing style- the only thing that sort of bugged me was the quick cuts of multiple camera angles on you while you were talking. It was a little distracting and seems unnecessary.

I'd watch more though- I enjoy the new perspective on films!

Oh the works of Sarah Waters, trust me - I'm very familiar with them! I read Fingersmith when I was about 12 or 13 for the first time, and I agree, the adaptation is quite good. I do have a few things to say about Tipping the Velvet though. It is an earlier episode so I've improved on the technical front since then.
The alternate cuts are to try and avoid too many jump cuts/a static shot of me talking, and talking, and talking, and talking and talking. I tend to say a lot of stuff on camera, more so than other reviewers who will just interject with a short sentence or two. Alternate cuts seemed like the best way to handle it. My older reviews were entirely statically filmed.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Errant Signal has a new video up on Tomb Raider.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm watching the Spoony review of Ultima 9 for the first time in the wake of Lord British's Kickstarter, and holy poo poo, how has anyone thought this guy was worth trusting a single dollar to? Also, Spoony single again has really done a shitton for the quality of his reviews.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I've seen Spoony's other Ultima review videos too, and if I recall correctly, he did highlight the arrival of EA as a moment when everything turned to poo poo.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Since "Scream and Shout" inexplicably refuses to go away on the charts, Todd finally features it in an episode

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/scream-and-shout-a-pop-song-review-6557795

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
The Grant Kirkhope episode of Game Grumps is fantastic. I was a little skeptical since I wasn't sure how much bringing in a game's music/sound guy would actually would actually contribute since I didn't know anything about his personality, but the guy is a riot.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bbf2 posted:

The Grant Kirkhope episode of Game Grumps is fantastic. I was a little skeptical since I wasn't sure how much bringing in a game's music/sound guy would actually would actually contribute since I didn't know anything about his personality, but the guy is a riot.

the guy is incredible, he's absolutely perfect as a grump and has no pretentions of class or manners and doesnt hold back. he's a grump through and through and hearing jon struggle with Grant's accent is hilarious. Definitely not the usual'silent and awkward' type when you interview developers and artists.

I think game grumps has really improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obscurus Lupa has recently uploaded a two-part review covering the third season of Charmed.

• Locked thread