Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm sadder that the new owners asked Steady Hand to leave the connected space next door. They're the only place I've found in Atlanta that offers vacuum pot brewing and they do so without batting an eyelash. No one honestly need to put that much effort into coffee (6-7 min of active effort plus a flame source and well-timed blowing), but it's a lovely thing to have access to and truly worth tip dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Not really dining news...but I was driving by Olympic Flame diner over on Marietta blvd, and saw it was changed to a Whammy Chicken. New sign up and everything.

I was going to be all happy that there was a chicken place near my house, but then I noticed all the film trucks and equipment. I drove by slowly and noticed they were actually filming inside and could see two people wearing bright suits hugging or fighting or something.

Anyway, back at my desk I googled it and it said that Anchorman 2 was filming there today. And drat, they were filming early, because it was about 7am when I drove by.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.tablehopper.com/chatterbox/rumors-richard-blais-opening-a-restaurant-in-the-bay-area-and-als-beef/

quote:

A tipster let me know that chef Richard Blais (of Top Chef fame, and currently touring his first cookbook, Try This at Home: Recipes from My Head to Your Plate) is going to be opening a new restaurant in the Bay Area sometime in the not-too-distant future. He is currently house hunting as well, so it sounds like a move from Atlanta is in the cards. Stay tuned for details about the restaurant and more.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I smell divorce :<

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

I smell divorce :<

^^^ LOL

People in Cali love "authentic" southern cooking, so I guess they want Richard to come out there and set something up.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

^^^ LOL

People in Cali love "authentic" southern cooking, so I guess they want Richard to come out there and set something up.

no really, have you watched any of that 'life after top chef' show? I mean I've only watched/been able to stomach 2 or 3 episodes, but... seemed pretty grim at the outset

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I recently graduated from college and started working in Duluth this week, more specifically like 1/4 mile off of the Pleasant Hill exit. I love authentic Southeast Asian (specifically Vietnamese), Korean, and Chinese food, so I'm pretty much in my culinary happy-place. I've had some really great food in this area previously, as I used to work in Buford, but now actually being there on a daily basis opens up many new opportunities.

Are there any must-try places that would be good for lunch? Like, I've always wanted to try Honey Pig, but I wouldn't be doing bbq for lunch because I have to set aside at least 3 hours for kbbq. Does anyone know if they have good lunch options? And I'm obviously not just considering Asian stuff (even though it's the best), so anywhere is fine.

A couple days ago I checked out Banh Mi Cafe after checking out some yelp reviews. Apparently the cook worked at Quoc Huong for ~17 years, so it's nice to have an easily accessible banh mi joint that stands up to (and I think even possibly surpasses) Quoc Huong. They have a loving-out-of-this-world eye of round sandwich that will blow your mind. I've also checked out Lotus Vietnamese and it's pretty on point Viet fare.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

RHIN0002 posted:

I recently graduated from college and started working in Duluth this week, more specifically like 1/4 mile off of the Pleasant Hill exit. I love authentic Southeast Asian (specifically Vietnamese), Korean, and Chinese food, so I'm pretty much in my culinary happy-place. I've had some really great food in this area previously, as I used to work in Buford, but now actually being there on a daily basis opens up many new opportunities.

Are there any must-try places that would be good for lunch? Like, I've always wanted to try Honey Pig, but I wouldn't be doing bbq for lunch because I have to set aside at least 3 hours for kbbq. Does anyone know if they have good lunch options? And I'm obviously not just considering Asian stuff (even though it's the best), so anywhere is fine.

A couple days ago I checked out Banh Mi Cafe after checking out some yelp reviews. Apparently the cook worked at Quoc Huong for ~17 years, so it's nice to have an easily accessible banh mi joint that stands up to (and I think even possibly surpasses) Quoc Huong. They have a loving-out-of-this-world eye of round sandwich that will blow your mind. I've also checked out Lotus Vietnamese and it's pretty on point Viet fare.

Hello, fellow Duluth goon. :) There are tons of restaurants around Pleasant Hill, so you have lots of choices. A few that I've been to that I like are Rudy's New York Pizza, Saigon Cafe, and What The Pho (both Vietnamese; I would say What The Pho is better). There is also Pure Taqueria in historic Duluth, though sometimes it can get pretty busy. Somebody's probably scoff at this, but at the Mega Mart at Gwinnett Place Mall, in the food court area, they sell steamed buns (chicken, veggie, and red bean) which are good. There's also a decent sushi bar in there. I guess it depends on how far you want to go, but on Lawrenceville-Suwanee, there's a restaurant called Umaido which has good ramen as well.

I discovered that Banh Mi place recently, and it's great. I highly recommend getting something with the BBQ pork there, as it's amazing. Honey Pig is great as well and they give you a ton of food. Definitely somewhere you want to go if you're not in a rush though.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

RHIN0002 posted:

I will have to check out Banh Mi Cafe. I adore banh mi, and Quoc Huong is my favorite place, so I'm up for trying any other banh mi on the same level. I will probably get it for lunch tomorrow.

I don't know terribly much out as far from 285 as as Pleasant Hill, but there are a few places I know and have enjoyed. There's BBQ Chicken and a fried chicken place (the name of which I cannot remember or find online) inside the Super H Mart on Pleasant Hill (opposite end of the market from the food court).

The food courts in the Super H Mart and Assi Plaza are both worth a visit. There is a Chinese noodle place in the Assi Plaza food court with and old dude making noodles by hand, and they're great.

Haru Ichiban has good sushi.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

If you want to make the small trip slightly north to Suwanee, Umaido has really good ramen. Never been during lunch but I imagine it's pretty busy.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

For Chinese, I really like Chef Liu's off Buford Hwy. My Chinese friend introduced me to the place recently. The place is a mixed bag full of hipsters and Chinese patrons, but the food IS authentic and really good. I have spent time in China and can verify this. Service is a little wonky, but it's cheap as hell, and everything is made in-house.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chef-liu-atlanta

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Landrobot posted:

For Chinese, I really like Chef Liu's off Buford Hwy. My Chinese friend introduced me to the place recently. The place is a mixed bag full of hipsters and Chinese patrons, but the food IS authentic and really good. I have spent time in China and can verify this. Service is a little wonky, but it's cheap as hell, and everything is made in-house.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chef-liu-atlanta

Chef Liu rocks - they have my favorite dumplings in Atlanta. I always have to be careful not to order too much food when I go because they give you big portions for your money.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks guys. I've actually been to a few of the mentioned restaurants, and they're all great, specifically Umaido. I seriously can't get enough of that ramen. I'll check out the BBQ chicken place in H-mart, and I've read good things about Sky BBQ in Assi Mart and I know Lee's is also located there, so I'll give it a go. Chef Liu's looking pretty rockin' too, especially that leek pie, so I'll be sure to go there but I think it's just a bit far for a lunch trip (I have no idea how BuHi is during lunch rush?).Pure Taqueria is also somewhere I've wanted to try for some time.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I think The General Muir has become my favorite restaurant in town. I loved Chef Ginsberg's food when he was at Bocado, and I think I like his food at The General Muir even more and I'm consistently impressed by the execution of every dish (perhaps not surprising since he worked under Alain Ducasse). My first visit was was a few days after they opened, and I was somewhat disappointed by the corned beef and pastrami (too chewy), but both have been vastly improved in two most recent visits, and now I think they're both excellent. Certainly there are many places in Atlanta with food I think is consistently excellent, but the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from Ginsberg's food and the service at The General Muir is just greater than anywhere else.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 17, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
awesome, I'll have to give that place a try. hadn't heard of it, but the menu looks great - it's nice to see something sort of different theme wise in town. but yeah, execution on those sorts of dishes is pretty important, so glad to hear it's done really well.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I suspect I feel the same way about Ginsberg that you do about Blais. I love the guy and his food, so I may have a bit of a blind spot.

The professional reviews have been positive:
John Kessler/AJC
Jennifer Zyman/Creative Loafing
Christiane Lauterbach/Knife & Fork (no URL because Christiane Lauterbach is old loving skool)

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
I personally enjoy this tiny place called Abaee which is a Korean restaurant that specializes in soondae (blood sausages) and naeng myun (cold buckwheat noodles) up in Duluth. It may not be the usual Korean fare, but I just love both soondae soups and naeng myun and I haven't found a better place for either.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'm going to be moving to Grant Park in the next month or so. Is there anything good in that area (I'm open to any kind of cuisine at this point, I've spent the last year and a half in Albany Georgia where the biggest culinary happening was the opening of a long-awaited Olive Garden), or am I pretty much going to have to head to Decatur / Midtown / Emory?

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Simon Draskovic posted:

I'm going to be moving to Grant Park in the next month or so. Is there anything good in that area (I'm open to any kind of cuisine at this point, I've spent the last year and a half in Albany Georgia where the biggest culinary happening was the opening of a long-awaited Olive Garden), or am I pretty much going to have to head to Decatur / Midtown / Emory?

There's lot of spots around Grant Park! Babette's and Wisteria are good up North Highland, Parish is iffy.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I'm a bigtime foodliker and I'm going to be in Atlanta from Tuesday-Monday photographing an event, and because of this, will only really be able to get out into the city for one day, Wednesday. I will be at the Holiday Inn by the airport for a competitive video gaming tournament called "Final Round".

I've never been to Atlanta, know nothing about the food scene, but would really like to eat some good food while in Atlanta. I figure I can fit 3 solid meals in on Wednesday. I'm open to any restaurant, truck or cart that you guys can endorse. I'm looking for things that are uniquely Atlantan, whatever that is. Also, any kind of good BBQ or Southern, because I'm told the stuff in New York doesn't compare.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if I had a day to eat in atlanta, I'd probably do canton house dim sum (not uniquely atlanta) for a late lunch, holeman & finch for a late dinner (get hot chicken), then go to bars in east atlanta and octopus bar it for a late midnight-dinner

that's just me though

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also, for thread frequenters : I've been to 'the shed' at glenwood now twice, and I'm really impressed by the food. I've had little to no complaints, the prices are right - and I can't believe it's been open since 2008. how am I only now going to this? check it out if you haven't.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Simon Draskovic posted:

There's plenty of places around that general area, it just depends on what you're looking for.

Octane, H Harper Station, Ria's Bluebird, Home Grown, Nick's, Rathbun's, Ammazza, Miso Izakaya, Delia's, etc. Lots of things to try around Grant Park without having to venture too far north and into the city.

mindphlux posted:

if I had a day to eat in atlanta, I'd probably do canton house dim sum (not uniquely atlanta) for a late lunch, holeman & finch for a late dinner (get hot chicken), then go to bars in east atlanta and octopus bar it for a late midnight-dinner

that's just me though

is the hot chicken a standard item? I didn't see it on the menu; thought it was a Sunday or Monday night special only or something.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008
I believe the hot chicken is only available on Monday nights.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

The Southern Dandy posted:

There's lot of spots around Grant Park! Babette's and Wisteria are good up North Highland, Parish is iffy.

jooky posted:

Octane, H Harper Station, Ria's Bluebird, Home Grown, Nick's, Rathbun's, Ammazza, Miso Izakaya, Delia's, etc. Lots of things to try around Grant Park without having to venture too far north and into the city.

Thanks for the tips; I'll check these out, and see if I can make it to any meetups organized here. I used to live in Gwinnett before moving down here, so even though I'm coming back to "Metro Atlanta", in a lot of ways I'm effectively moving to a brand-new city.

RHIN0002 posted:

In that area I also like Raku, right by the Pleasant Hill Super H Mart. It's mostly Japanese food (ramen and tonkatsu) but there's a definite Korean spin to it. Not necessarily in the food itself, but the menus are in Korean, the waitstaff is Korean, there's a big TV with K-Pop on the wall, etc. I love their katsu curry rice, so I almost always go by there whenever I'm in the area. Haru Ichiban is good for Japanese as well, they're in the shopping center that has the Burger King and Goodyear out front.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Anyone have brunch suggestions that don't have a 1-2hr wait every goddamn day?

Anything near smyrna/marietta/north west atlanta will do, I'm not THAT picky. Just tired of awful waffle, jchristophers, west egg, and the like. Ritas seems nice, but I absolutely refuse to wait multiple hours for what amounts to eggs. :colbert:

Is this where I'm failing, should I be willing to wait? :confused:

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
I've never been there for brunch specifically, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a more underrated restaurant in Marietta than The Chicken and the Egg. They're rarely very busy so I can't imagine there'd be a much of a wait.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

I was just at Ria's Bluebird today, for my first time, with an 8-top. Luckily for me, they all waited in the rain for over an hour, while we drove up and sat immediately (we were running late). :) The food is pretty darn good! The pancakes loaded with butter are the best I've ever had. I'm not sure why ALL breakfast/brunch places always have waits, you'd think someone would eventually open up a place larger than 1200 square feet.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The pancakes at Ria's Bluebird are so drat good. I'm typically not very much into pancakes, but those are an exception. I went there last weekend and they were serving pancakes with those Samoa Girl Scout cookies in the batter and topped with whipped cream. The wait and parking at Ria's can be awful, and so I typically avoid it unless I'm going at off-peak hours.

Waiting for weekend brunch sucks. I don't love brunch food enough to wait anything more than 10 or 15 minutes for a seat. I don't get people who wait an hour for a brunch seat at Murphy's, Urban Pl8, or wherever.

In recent weeks, I go to The General Muir before the brunch and post-church crowd really gets heavy, and sit at the bar. I've only once waited for a seat at the bar, and that was the weekend when we set the clocks forward an hour and I got there much later than I usually do. I got there at a little before 10:30am today, and there was a 15 minute wait for a two-top, but there were four or five seats available at the bar. Hooray for dining alone all the time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

silloh posted:

I believe the hot chicken is only available on Monday nights.

they just made it a regular item on the menu a couple weeks ago - 6 days a week! huzzah!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

godzirraRAWR posted:

Anyone have brunch suggestions that don't have a 1-2hr wait every goddamn day?

Anything near smyrna/marietta/north west atlanta will do, I'm not THAT picky. Just tired of awful waffle, jchristophers, west egg, and the like. Ritas seems nice, but I absolutely refuse to wait multiple hours for what amounts to eggs. :colbert:

Is this where I'm failing, should I be willing to wait? :confused:

Java Jive on Ponce or Rise N' Dine in Emory village. Rarely does either one have more than a 15 minute wait (30 if you show up around 12:30 when the church crowd hits). Both I would describe as being more authentic and simultaneously less hip than West Egg and its ilk.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Java Jive is cash only, just to note.

I'll go to Manuel's for brunch too since it's usually not too busy. They took the porkchop breakfast off the menu but you can still order it (it's better than the steak and eggs imo). H Harper Station also has a brunch that's not that busy but it's a bit expensive for what it is. Good coffee though.

The main thing is to just get anywhere early, really, or else you're bound to wait.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
We went to Buttermilk Kitchen for brunch and the wait was pretty short. The waffles there are great. My son got waffles, and I got a hamburger, and I liked his better.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
What time did you go because I stopped by at 11:30 and the place was absolutely packed. It was just me and I didn't even bother to wait for a table at the bar it was so crowded.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I'm looking for a quiet-ish, decent bar or pub to chill at, can anyone help me out? All the places I know are consistently packed and noisy.

Gunuku
Sep 26, 2007

I'm a goddamn marvel of modern science.
Lipstick Apathy

FLEXBONER posted:

I'm looking for a quiet-ish, decent bar or pub to chill at, can anyone help me out? All the places I know are consistently packed and noisy.

Around me, that would be Manuel's, The Local, Righteous Room, Thinking Man, Trackside.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gunuku posted:

Around me, that would be Manuel's, The Local, Righteous Room, Thinking Man, Trackside.

Adding to that list: Bookhouse, on most nights.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Ok, cool. Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Landrobot posted:

Hey guys, I just moved to Atlanta from Asheville, NC a few months ago, where we have a pretty nice culinary scene. I'm helping some friends open a restaurant in downtown Decatur called Chai Pani. It's going to be next to Farm Burger, where the old Watershed restaurant was (West Ponce). Renovations are about done inside.

What is it? High-end 'street food' from India. This isn't your northern style party ghee-heavy dinner curries with rice, naan, etc that everyone thinks of when they hear "Indian". This is another whole beast Atlanta hasn't seen yet. Yes, there are some real crappy chaat houses around, but this is all made-in-house everything from scratch. The current chaat joints use all pre-made foods from NYC. The chefs are all trained in India, use local farm fresh ingredients, etc. As in, they'll buy a whole goat and made burgers out of it; bushels of Okra to make crispy fries, etc.

--- I'll also be checking this thread for other restaurants. So far been to Leon's, Cake and Ales, Eugenes, Desta (my fave!), Chef Lu - all really good.

I've gone there three times already. IT OWNS IT OWNS IT OWNS. I can't recommend it enough. The cocktails were very reasonable and very good. I had the bourbon sour; the foam from the egg white was the right consistency and I liked the added chili powder to balance out the sweet/sour flavor in a normal sour.

The Daal was solid and the pork vindaloo was straight up absurd. The meat was perfectly seasoned -- not too spicy with the perfect amount of apple cider vinegar. I can't recommend it enough and I've been telling so many of my friends about it that I deserve a commission. It's been packed both times I've been, so I hope business is going well.

No joke, I ate there yesterday and I'm going again later this week with some friends.

On the total opposite end, I went to Ill Localino and it was the shittiest restaurant I've been to in years. Terrible service, terrible interior, terrible food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Omerta posted:

I've gone there three times already. IT OWNS IT OWNS IT OWNS. I can't recommend it enough. The cocktails were very reasonable and very good. I had the bourbon sour; the foam from the egg white was the right consistency and I liked the added chili powder to balance out the sweet/sour flavor in a normal sour.

This is fantastic. I have a friend who actually just got a job there, so now I've got more reasons to stop by and check it out. Sounds like the place gets pretty crazy though on weekend nights.