Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I have undertaken three baking projects to start the week with. I had the day off work so yesterday night I did my loaf bread for the week and froze half, got my sourdough starter ready and put together a croissant dough as well. The sourdough is ready to go in the oven in about 50 minutes and I've finished all the folding stages of the croissant dough, it is in the fridge until day 3 tomorrow.

I'll post pictures of the sourdough (miche) tonight, here's hoping it is better cooked than last time. I'm going to give it the full 70 minutes without "checking up" on it this time and I'll also be doing a steam bath to soften the crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Tried to make some regular old whole wheat bread similar to the recipe on page 3, but added some oatmeal as well.

Pre-rise hydrated

Risen twice, punched down and loafed up.

Done!

Although a lot better than my previous attempts, the crust did not have the chewiness I was going for. I kept a boiling cast iron pan of water in there the whole time as well as spraying the loaves down with water twice in the first 5 minutes.

I can't seem to get this oven to bahave. :( Still tastes good though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Farking Bastage posted:

Tried to make some regular old whole wheat bread similar to the recipe on page 3, but added some oatmeal as well.

Pre-rise hydrated

Risen twice, punched down and loafed up.

Done!

Although a lot better than my previous attempts, the crust did not have the chewiness I was going for. I kept a boiling cast iron pan of water in there the whole time as well as spraying the loaves down with water twice in the first 5 minutes.

Looks good but either your oven runs cool or you could do with baking for longer.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Farking Bastage posted:

I think you have to have drier air. I keep the oven moist when I put the bread in so that I get good oven spring. After that I vent the moist air out by swinging the oven door open a few times. This and having a high temperature gives the best crust in my experience.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Most recipes I see advise to cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap while it's proofing. I have some large Tupperware-type containers - would it be okay if I mixed the dough in one of them, and then put the lid on? Or does it have to be plastic wrap, which I imagine would allow some airflow while the sealed lid would not?

Basically, I just loving hate dealing with plastic wrap.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 17, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Most recipes I see advise to cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap while it's proofing. I have some large Tupperware-type containers - would it be okay if I mixed the dough in one of them, and then put the lid on? Or does it have to be plastic wrap, which I imagine would allow some airflow while the sealed lid would not?

Basically, I just loving [i]hate[/] dealing with plastic wrap.

I used to just cover the bowl but I found that a crust would develop on the dough. Whatever you use, it needs to be in contact with the dough. I think some people use a damp cloth.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

The Midniter posted:

Basically, I just loving [i]hate[/] dealing with plastic wrap.

I like to use showercaps. The cheap disposable kind you get for free in motel rooms work great, and you can find them in discount stores, sometimes a dozen in a package. I've used (and reused) them for a while.

I also hate plastic wrap.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

meatsaw posted:

I like to use showercaps. The cheap disposable kind you get for free in motel rooms work great, and you can find them in discount stores, sometimes a dozen in a package. I've used (and reused) them for a while.

I also hate plastic wrap.

I've heard of that. Does the elastic help prevent the dough from spreading? Do you oil it?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

therattle posted:

I've heard of that. Does the elastic help prevent the dough from spreading? Do you oil it?

Almost all my pans/bowls have lips, so the cap stays on the top. The dough can rise as high as it wants, and if I think the rise will touch it I oil it. They make a food version made to cover bowls that comes in different sizes, but I ended up with so many of the disposable showercaps I just use and reuse them. These are the really cheap shower caps, mind, really just plastic wrap with a rubber band.

Like these ...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/donna-shower-cap/ID=prod6065915-product

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 17, 2013

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I'm 23 and have never made bread before. Tonight I decided to change that, so I'm trying to make some pretzel rolls. As far as I can tell the only real difference is that you boil them in a water/baking soda solution before you bake them. I've got my bread rising in my laundry room since it's the warmest place in the house; I'll go in and check it at 7. Hopefully I'm doing things right :v:

I'll take some photos once it comes out.

edit: holy poo poo these are actually really tasty. Maybe slightly chewy, but for a first ever attempt I'm floored.

pretzels-0001 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

pretzels-0002 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

pretzels-0003 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

dakana fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 18, 2013

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Having some trouble with some sourdough and am looking for any insight.

I have the Oregon Trail starter and have made the following recipe twice:

http://www.themanlyhousekeeper.com/2011/06/24/bread-baker-rosemary-or-olive-sourdough/

(Don't blame me for the site...it was the first one I could find)

Now a few things I ran into with that (note that I didn't do the olive bread, I just made the rosemary).:

1)The dough is VERY sticky to work with. He says at one point to line bowls with paper towels...I did that and then when it came time to remove I was tearing paper towels off. The next time I used a cloth towel which worked a bit better, but I was still tearing dough off of it.

2) It doesn't rise that much during cooking. We're talking maybe 3 inches at most in the center?

3) The crust is quite thick. I like thick crusts, and this is on par with what I like, but maybe a tad thinner wouldn't be bad?

Now, for cooking, I've been following that recipe to a T as far as I can tell. The one thing I do to cook it is preheat the oven with a pizza stone in there and then put the dough on the stone.

What I'm really aiming for is the Rosemary Olive Oil Sourdough bread I get at Whole Foods. I use this bread for sandwiches so I need it to be thicker. I think the Whole Foods bread is probably 5 inches at center?

Any advice or other recipes would be much appreciated. Thanks!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Okay, after reading this thread, I decided to try and make some bread. The recipe that I followed was the one for American sandwich bread in the cook's illustrated baking illustrated book. Oh, one difference being that I had no honey, so I used maple syrup instead.

Unfortunately the bread came out too dense for my liking, even though I let the bread rise an extra 15min or so. Any suggestions as to what I should try to make it less dense? Flavor wise it tastes fine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Try letting it rise even more and/or making the dough wetter. 15 extra minutes rising time is like 0 extra minutes in bread time.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Black Bread? I've seen pictures, and read about molasses based bread in books, and always thought 'it sounds amazing'. Is it as good as it sounds? Is it worth a foray into the breadmaking arts? I have a terrible oven. :ohdear:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Probably the moisture - it took almost no time to come together into a ball when I mixed it. I've got a scale, so next time I'll measure using that instead.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made a bread!

It is really really tasty and I'm extremely proud of it.

I used the Serious Eats no-knead recipe and I think my oven might run hot because after taking the lid off of the dutch oven, it recommends baking another 30-45 minutes. I pulled it out at exactly 30 minutes to check and it was just on the cusp of being overdone - the crust is a bit hard, but it's all worth it in the end.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

I made a bread!

It is really really tasty and I'm extremely proud of it.

I used the Serious Eats no-knead recipe and I think my oven might run hot because after taking the lid off of the dutch oven, it recommends baking another 30-45 minutes. I pulled it out at exactly 30 minutes to check and it was just on the cusp of being overdone - the crust is a bit hard, but it's all worth it in the end.

That looks fantastic!

dakana posted:

I'm 23 and have never made bread before. Tonight I decided to change that, so I'm trying to make some pretzel rolls. As far as I can tell the only real difference is that you boil them in a water/baking soda solution before you bake them. I've got my bread rising in my laundry room since it's the warmest place in the house; I'll go in and check it at 7. Hopefully I'm doing things right :v:

I'll take some photos once it comes out.

edit: holy poo poo these are actually really tasty. Maybe slightly chewy, but for a first ever attempt I'm floored.

pretzels-0001 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

pretzels-0002 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

pretzels-0003 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

And so do those! Very good picture quality too.

Now you guys are hooked... you'll see... Soon your cupboards will be full of flours.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

therattle posted:

Now you guys are hooked... you'll see... Soon your cupboards will be full of flours.

Not a bad thing, I look at all my flour and feel the need to bake. The flour calls to me.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Enter Char posted:

Not a bad thing, I look at all my flour and feel the need to bake. The flour calls to me.

I only have one bag of flour so something is clearly very wrong.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

It turns out baking is super easy when you can figure out the actual temperature inside the oven.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anybody have a rye recipe that doesn't include carraway seed that they use? I ended up buying a 25 pound bag of rye flour before realizing that pretty much every rye recipe uses less than two cups per batch so I'm going to be making bread for a good while.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anybody have a rye recipe that doesn't include carraway seed that they use? I ended up buying a 25 pound bag of rye flour before realizing that pretty much every rye recipe uses less than two cups per batch so I'm going to be making bread for a good while.

Just omit the seeds. They don't affect the final product of the bread.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If I try to use a sheet pan in lieu of a baking stone as described in The Bread Baker's Apprentice (and another for steaming), how heavy duty of a pan should I be looking at? I imagine for steaming I won't really care if it warps as long as it doesn't spill water and in the worst case I can get a cheap cast iron pan for that. I'd like to try out a little bit of baking before I put money down on a stone of any sort even if it's a quarry stone from a hardware store.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can use pretty much anything - the main reason to use something heavy duty like a stone is to get a good crust on the bottom of the great instead of something kind of anemic.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I made a potato bread.

This was the first time I used this new loaf pan I picked up at the thrift store. I should have only put 2# in it instead of the whole 2#10oz the dough weighed. It kinda out grew the pan.
Live and learn. Going to write 2# on the bottom of the pan now.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

kirtar posted:

If I try to use a sheet pan in lieu of a baking stone as described in The Bread Baker's Apprentice (and another for steaming), how heavy duty of a pan should I be looking at? I imagine for steaming I won't really care if it warps as long as it doesn't spill water and in the worst case I can get a cheap cast iron pan for that. I'd like to try out a little bit of baking before I put money down on a stone of any sort even if it's a quarry stone from a hardware store.

You could also use an unglazed clay saucer bottom like this from a local store- I picked up a 12-inch one for like half the Amazon price, and it's worked fine. If I ever switch to another method, then at least it can still be used with one of my pots.

Thumposaurus posted:

I made a potato bread.
I would love this recipe.

Unrelated egg bread:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

1#8oz potatoes
1/2 cup reserved potato water (see below)
2oz olive oil
1Tb yeast
1Tb salt
4 3/4 cups all purpose flour

Boil the potatoes in water until they are tender, I never peel them but you can if you want to.
After boiling reserve 1/2 cup of the potato water
Place potatoes in mixer bowl and beat until cooled.
Cool down the potato water too putting it in the freezer while the potatoes beat seems to work ok just don't want it too hot and kill the yeast.
Add the oil to the potatoes add yeast to the water
Add in the flour and mix just to combine with the paddle
Switch to the dough hook and let it go for about 11 mins.
It will be pretty soft and sticky still
Dust bench with flour and form into a ball
Let it rise till doubled
Shape, let rise 2nd time
Bake at about 375 until loaf sounds follow when tapped, it can take up to an hour.
If the top browns too much tent with foil.

It makes nice little rolls too.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
Just realized I've never posted any of my breads here.

Some widdle brioche.

How widdle? This widdle:

Then some Multi-grain with a slash test. Using black sesame seeds is what makes it so dark:

And the money shot:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Party Plane Jones posted:

http://www.abreadaday.com/?p=265

Is pretty good. I like to leave out the molasses and to use some malted rye from the homebrew store. This bread will make you poop. Also, don't make it unleavened. gently caress that noise. Use your sourdough. Do give it a quick knead before you bake it though. You want it to be pretty dense.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 21, 2013

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

breakfall87 posted:

Then some Multi-grain with a slash test. Using black sesame seeds is what makes it so dark:

And the money shot:

Do you have a recipe for this? Looks like a good sandwich bread.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Made my first loafs by myself today. You know what's awesome about making bread? How amazing your house smells

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My latest batch of bread is kinda dry. How do you keep bread from drying out?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

My latest batch of bread is kinda dry. How do you keep bread from drying out?

Increase the hydration level of the dough and/or reduce cook time?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Not sure if this should go here, but it's a yeasted bread thing. Seasonally appropriate hot cross buns:

I also made a chocolate batch but no pics yet.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

yoshesque posted:

Not sure if this should go here, but it's a yeasted bread thing. Seasonally appropriate hot cross buns:

This is an inclusive bread thread - thanks for posting. They look great.

I had vague ambitions of making matzah for Passover but acute tonsillitis has put paid to that.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

yoshesque posted:

:drat:

I keep meaning to post my croissant pics so I can get someone to tell me where I went wrong. They were so flaky but just...too dense.

I bought a 20kg bag of whole wheat flour at a bulk place for $20. I don't know what anyone else is paying but I've been paying $10-11 for 5kg so this is going to save me a lot of money.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

breakfall87 posted:

I like the color on those. And the slashes look really pretty. Bread is pretty :allears:

Made pretzel rolls again. I think I did a little better this time -- I used a stone instead of a baking sheet, and steamed the oven a bit to try to get a crunchier crust. It worked pretty well :) Just a phone photo this time, though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dakana posted:

I like the color on those. And the slashes look really pretty. Bread is pretty :allears:

Made pretzel rolls again. I think I did a little better this time -- I used a stone instead of a baking sheet, and steamed the oven a bit to try to get a crunchier crust. It worked pretty well :) Just a phone photo this time, though.

Can I get your pretzel roll recipe? I want to try this myself!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Anyone have experience using unglazed quarry tiles in place of a baking stone? I've been using one that I was gifted a while back and it works fine, except it's too small to handle more than one loaf, and can barely accommodate a large loaf. I was thinking instead of shelling out the $40-50-60 for a bigger stone I could try the cheap version with the tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Having some trouble with some sourdough and am looking for any insight.

I have the Oregon Trail starter and have made the following recipe twice:

http://www.themanlyhousekeeper.com/2011/06/24/bread-baker-rosemary-or-olive-sourdough/

(Don't blame me for the site...it was the first one I could find)

Now a few things I ran into with that (note that I didn't do the olive bread, I just made the rosemary).:

1)The dough is VERY sticky to work with. He says at one point to line bowls with paper towels...I did that and then when it came time to remove I was tearing paper towels off. The next time I used a cloth towel which worked a bit better, but I was still tearing dough off of it.

2) It doesn't rise that much during cooking. We're talking maybe 3 inches at most in the center?

3) The crust is quite thick. I like thick crusts, and this is on par with what I like, but maybe a tad thinner wouldn't be bad?

Now, for cooking, I've been following that recipe to a T as far as I can tell. The one thing I do to cook it is preheat the oven with a pizza stone in there and then put the dough on the stone.

What I'm really aiming for is the Rosemary Olive Oil Sourdough bread I get at Whole Foods. I use this bread for sandwiches so I need it to be thicker. I think the Whole Foods bread is probably 5 inches at center?

Any advice or other recipes would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm at a loss here.