Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The people who said it's about the demographic and the cost are right. It's that plus a numbers game. These people aren't P&G, they're direct marketing types. They're buying the cheapest channel they can to get the message to what they're guessing is the largest number of the most gullible people they can reach. The importance of the channel is there, too. Ideally, the people listening to this kind of radio (just like religious radio and others in the came category) are listening with acceptance of whatever message is being conveyed. If the message switches from politics, politics, politics to buy gold now briefly back to politics, politics, politics enough times then 1-2% of them will probably act on that message by seeking further information, after which, at some point, maybe 2-3% of those who acted will convert into customers. Do this enough times for a long enough period at a low enough cost and you'll make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't listen to right wing media, but I do listen to sports radio. The ads are mostly the same - gold, backups, snake oil, etc.

But also, for reasons I have no idea, IBM servers and consulting services. Huh?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Most of those ads you hear are network spots bought in bulk. Aside from some Rush affiliates you don't pay cash to carry Hannity, ESPN, Levin, Shuultz, etc. you carry network commercials. The amount varies by show, but the deals are all pretty similar. The reason you hear so many male enhancement ads, or gold scams is because they buy as much cheap airtime as they can get, be it :30 second spots, or weekend morning hour long blocks of time. While some of the personal endorsment deals have to do with, shall we say...a more gullible audience, the majority of the stuff is just a byproduct of the lovely model consolidators are using to prop up dying formats.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

According to Rush today he coined the phrase "low-information voter" and Obama is the first politician to ever be able to get votes from being who don't care about politics and don't know anything about how it all works.

And the best ads, that only get played late at night, are the ones for the new agey dietary supplement that REAGAN had delivered to the White House by the crate full.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It doesn't surprise me that they sell gold on the left-wing shows also but what really struck me as bizarre was hearing Ed Schultz pedal gold on his show using the exact same talking points they do on Beck/Hannity/etc. He literally recorded a commercial saying "We're being crushed by 16T in debt that will never be paid off, buy gold now!" and then after the break continued reading off of his daily memo from the DNC about how there's no debt crisis :psyduck:.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Joan Walsh at Salon pretends to write an article about the Daily Caller/Sen. Mendendez flap, but spends most of her time ruthlessly kicking the corpse of Andrew Breibart around the room. If you'd like a nice, old-fashioned fix of Breibart hate and a chance to relive the relief you felt when he dropped dead, this is a good article.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MaxxBot posted:

It doesn't surprise me that they sell gold on the left-wing shows also but what really struck me as bizarre was hearing Ed Schultz pedal gold on his show using the exact same talking points they do on Beck/Hannity/etc. He literally recorded a commercial saying "We're being crushed by 16T in debt that will never be paid off, buy gold now!" and then after the break continued reading off of his daily memo from the DNC about how there's no debt crisis :psyduck:.
I've even heard Thom Hartmann do that on his show. I guess it's demanded by whoever owns the radio station they work for. It's pretty jarring.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've even heard Thom Hartmann do that on his show. I guess it's demanded by whoever owns the radio station they work for. It's pretty jarring.

Yeah stuff like that are literally written scripts the host has to read. Its like a commercial the host is forced to star in.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

A DENVER FAX posted:

Yeah stuff like that are literally written scripts the host has to read. Its like a commercial the host is forced to star in.

Falling on dire financial straits, Rush Limbaugh is forced to star in a male enhancement commercial. I cannot decide whether that would be embarrassing for him or not.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

redshirt posted:

I don't listen to right wing media, but I do listen to sports radio. The ads are mostly the same - gold, backups, snake oil, etc.

But also, for reasons I have no idea, IBM servers and consulting services. Huh?

What, management types don't like sports?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

mr. mephistopheles posted:

According to Rush today he coined the phrase "low-information voter" and Obama is the first politician to ever be able to get votes from being who don't care about politics and don't know anything about how it all works.

And the best ads, that only get played late at night, are the ones for the new agey dietary supplement that REAGAN had delivered to the White House by the crate full.

The most hilarious thing about "low-information voter" is when people on your facebook feed parrot it. They don't seem to understand the irony of calling other people low-information, while getting the entirety of their opinions spoon-fed to them from an opiate addict.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

What, management types don't like sports?

They sure do. Sports TV advertising is filled with ads like these. I've always wondered how successful they are.

But on the radio, side by side with gold and "bug out bag" ads? Its a bit jarring. But I get the idea of "block advertising".

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

The most hilarious thing about "low-information voter" is when people on your facebook feed parrot it. They don't seem to understand the irony of calling other people low-information, while getting the entirety of their opinions spoon-fed to them from an opiate addict.

He's really hitting the "informed people like you and me" poo poo hard today.

What was funny was he was talking about the economic stuff in Cypress and saying "low-information people don't even know what Cypress is like we do, because they would rather pay attention to celebrity gossip." Really, Rush? I would sign over everything I own if even 1% of Rush listeners could find Cypress on a map. Hell, I'll make it easy, I'd do it if they could name what continent it is on. Then he proceeded to rant about Beyonce and Access Hollywood.

E: Hahahahahaha, this guy with a fairly light Spanish accent called in and Rush keeps saying "I can't understand what you're saying."

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like rush wants to go all Clayton Bigsby. "Shut up witcher Ching Ching, bong bong, I can't understand you, go back to yer country white power!!". If I was on enough oxy maybe it would slip out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

A DENVER FAX posted:

Is having talk radio hosts read commercials a big thing in the States?
In my modest (350+K :canada: ) city, the talk radio hosts I listen to just cut to commercials like normal FM radio.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

In my modest (350+K :canada: ) city, the talk radio hosts I listen to just cut to commercials like normal FM radio.

Almost all the big time sports radio guys do it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mister Macys posted:

Its actually a very traditional thing that phased out, but some stations still do it. Paul Harvey used to hand pick his advertisers because he did not want to read anything he did not personally endorse. If you watch old tv or listen to old radio you will hear it a lot more often.

I think its because talk radio is "personality" based and therefore an endorsement from that personality carries more weight than a simple commercial message.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, often it's basically celebrity endorsement. I do listen to a lot of AM talk radio in the Los Angeles area, and the local hosts, (as opposed to the syndicated big guys like Rush) do a lot of commercials. It also must be pretty effective, considering that they've been promoting some of the same things for years on end. I've also noticed that those hosts, even the conservative ones, are a lot more interesting than the syndicated ones. In fact, I remember that Larry Elder became about ten times less interesting once he was syndicated. I guess having a much wider audience means they have to dumb down their message more, and stick harder to the talking points.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

E: Hahahahahaha, this guy with a fairly light Spanish accent called in and Rush keeps saying "I can't understand what you're saying."

I was under the impression that due to Rush's hearing loss all callers' words are transcribed for him in real time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I was under the impression that due to Rush's hearing loss all callers' words are transcribed for him in real time.

That was before he got a cochlear implant.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

greatn posted:

My understanding of those things is that they aren't perfect and that you kind of have to relearn what you're hearing a bit. He probably really did have a bit of trouble understanding the guy.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

greatn posted:

I thought it was after. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he still has things transcribed for him.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Good to see retirement hasn't kept Boortz from being an angry bitter man.

A criminal did something horrible, and was promptly arrested and is facing murder charges. This is at least the second time I've seen conservatives trying to point to a story like that and pretend it's remotely like the Trayvon Martin case.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

A DENVER FAX posted:

I think its because talk radio is "personality" based and therefore an endorsement from that personality carries more weight than a simple commercial message.
In the old days I think it was done because it was cheaper and more convenient (especially for local/regional products) to send over a piece of paper than record their own radio ad. I think the modern return to it on national radio shows is more likely an attempt to catch the ear of listeners who tune out commercials but tune back in for the talk show. Some of them are worded as personal endorsements, but most of what I hear don't require the reader to adopt a character or make personal claims at all, they usually do it in standard reading voice like they're rattling off traffic or news items.

That said, I don't listen to a ton of radio and when I do it's usually sports, so I haven't heard many of the ads we're specifically talking about.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Levin is one of the few I can think of that does ads during his show. Most others I've heard are just the personalities doing the ads and are thrown in during the usual commercial breaks. Levin on the other hand will go off ranting, then go right into how one should buy gold or Lifelock, and then go into a commercial break.

I also wonder how many of these are contractual. Like how they do station ID and other station advertisement.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think I can get away with this since he's got bits of right-wingism that he's declared...but Joe Rogan has the BEST "Hey I'm reading this!" ads at the top of his podcast. They're always right after him and his guy have smoked pot and the commercials will veer off into all kinds of crazy areas. But they always seem to at some point realize the commercials are over and play their theme song, even if it's like 15 minutes in.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I recall Imus actively poking fun at the ad scripts he read.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Levin is one of the few I can think of that does ads during his show. Most others I've heard are just the personalities doing the ads and are thrown in during the usual commercial breaks. Levin on the other hand will go off ranting, then go right into how one should buy gold or Lifelock, and then go into a commercial break.

They literally all do this. There are some prerecorded ones, but they all do the live ranting straight into ads. Trust me as someone who listens to far more conservative radio than is mentally or emotionally healthy.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
In the talk radio biz, those are called "live reads." They do them because people know what an ad sounds like, and they tune ads out. By doing live reads they can transition to and from the ads in a less jarring fashion, and the theory is that people are more likely to listen. On some shows they can also be a source of entertainment themselves.

On podcasts they're done because it's an effective way to prevent people from skipping ads as much. Live reads can happen at any point in the show, and they're variable length.

On the old style of ads you can just hit your 30s or 2m skip button, and then you've not heard a single second of any advertisement. The live reads are deliberately fuzzy so that even if you skip in increments like that you still have to listen to some of the ad to determine if it's still going on or you might risk skipping through actual content.

They're rapidly becoming the standard way to do ads in content on the internet because pre-roll, post-roll, and conventional commercials don't work at all if they're in a format that can be seeked through. It's the only kind of advertisement that advertisers are comfortable laying out significant money for in terms of audio content right now.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Levin made me laugh when he did this a few weeks ago. He was going on some ridiculous shouting rant about evil communists like Obama and the marxist take-over of the world and the imminent economic collapse and right in the middle of this he just stopped all of a sudden, caught his breath, and said, "Now... I'd like to tell you a little about GoToMyPC.com. GoToMyPC.com, where you can access your PC anytime, anywhere!"

I heard Huckabee trying to sell the same thing. It made me wonder how that kinda thing was organized exactly. I didn't know it was just a script they have to read.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
An actual headline on Foxnews.com's front page right now:

- YOU DECIDE: Duck penis study good use of fed $$?

The entire article, including the attached poll:

quote:

The National Science Foundation has been criticized for spending $384,949 on a Yale University study that examined, among other things, the particulars of male duck penises. Do you believe the study was a proper use of taxpayer funding?

Yes. Sure, it sounds silly, but these studies produce real and useful scientific information. 3.02%

No – what a quack! A government looking to cut back shouldn’t be wasting money on anything like this. 88.74%

Maybe. We need to fund scientific research, but perhaps now’s not the best time for bird-brained studies like this. 8.24%

Fox News will not let this stupid meme die. It leads to stuff like this:

:awesome: "Sign me up!"

William Bear fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 26, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

William Bear posted:

An actual headline on Foxnews.com's front page right now:

- YOU DECIDE: Duck penis study good use of fed $$?

The entire article, including the attached poll:

Fox News will not let this stupid meme die. It leads to stuff like this:

:awesome: "Sign me up!"

He's creating jobs, leave him alone

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want Mallard Fillmore to make a cartoon about this.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
$384,949? WHAT A PRINCELY SUM

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

I don't want Mallard Fillmore to make any more cartoons about anything ever again.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

A strip wide panel of Mallard reclining and receiving oral sex from the President.
Mallard: I can't believe he's paying me your tax dollars for this!

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
It's pretty funny when you hear these listeners regurgitate the talking points they've been fed without any critical thought whatsoever. Yesterday Rush was saying that gay marriage has never won in a popular vote. Today you get a guy calling in to the Geraldo show saying the exact same thing. Conservatives are basically just plugging theirs ears and going, "Lalalala didn't happen."

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Manifest Dynasty posted:

It's pretty funny when you hear these listeners regurgitate the talking points they've been fed without any critical thought whatsoever. Yesterday Rush was saying that gay marriage has never won in a popular vote. Today you get a guy calling in to the Geraldo show saying the exact same thing. Conservatives are basically just plugging theirs ears and going, "Lalalala didn't happen."

That was true up until this past year though, wasn't it? So it's a matter of being out of date.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Muslim Brotherhood came to power with a popular vote. The US has subsidized the Israeli and Egyptian governments for years. But I guess Neocons have always been dishonest about the validity of a popular vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McDowell posted:

The Muslim Brotherhood came to power with a popular vote. The US has subsidized the Israeli and Egyptian governments for years. But I guess Neocons have always been dishonest about the validity of a popular vote.
Neocons loved freedom and the democratic process in the Middle East until the Palestinians voted for Hamas, then they stopped talking about it.