Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

TampaTango posted:

Pathfinder removed this. Many home games also eliminated this in 3.5 days.

Removed what? The XP requirement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

terminal mehmet posted:

Removed what? The XP requirement?

Yes. Because its a colossal hassles to track. Doesn't matter though. V mentioned scrolls cost xp in this world.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Hog Butcher posted:

Doesn't that cost tons of XP, though?

That doesn't really matter since, as the villain, Xykon is assumed to automatically gain whatever XP he needs to be an appropriate challenge. Remember the strip where Haley's nemesis (Crystal?) talks about that?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Let's be honest, Xykon doesn't give a poo poo. Like other people have said, as long as he doesn't spend his levels away he has tons of experience to work with and more magic items is more power.

He supposedly isn't strategically minded but from all we've seen he's smart enough to know that he has limited spells/day and needs backup plans and magic items/scrolls/his assorted lichy bonuses are good ones.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Let's be honest, Xykon doesn't give a poo poo. Like other people have said, as long as he doesn't spend his levels away he has tons of experience to work with and more magic items is more power.

He supposedly isn't strategically minded but from all we've seen he's smart enough to know that he has limited spells/day and needs backup plans and magic items/scrolls/his assorted lichy bonuses are good ones.

He has a ring that protects him from positive enemy attacks and another magic doodad that protects him from fire.

The reason this is relevant here is because he knows from his last encounter with Roy that he's vulnerable to undead disrupting attacks. Of course the last time he saw Roy he was plummeting to his death so he might not have bothered to fix that problem. I wouldn't bet against the strip having a crisis moment in the endgame when it's revealed that Roy's sword can't hurt Xykon anymore.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I always wonder if Xykon really is as clueless about people like Roy as he makes it seem. Does he actually not remember him at all or is he just faking it because it's funny and pisses him off?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

TampaTango posted:

Pathfinder removed this. Many home games also eliminated this in 3.5 days.
There's also feats and (I believe) some spell/magic item that reduce XP costs for crafting/give you floating crafting-only XP. There's also the sacrifice rules in BoVD that lets you perform a ritual and kill something to gain a bit of gp/xp to craft poo poo with (which taints the item made and makes it have an evil aura, oh noes!) but a lot of people don't allow that for obvious reasons.

So Xykon could go out, grab a random elf to sacrifice to Grummsh, and get an easy 120xp for it (assuming he maxes out knowledge [religion] and snags all the really easy bonuses to his roll like "performed at an altar" and "ritual lasting an hour") once a day.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I really want to see Nale's reaction when Malack returns to the group, Durkon in tow.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I bet Nale mercy kills Durkon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noah posted:

There is a 0% chance Durkon isn't surviving until they venture to Dwarfland. The ironic twist to the prophecy is in place, it would be a complete waste not to see it through.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Noah posted:

Nale? Mercy? Hardly. More like Nale kills Durkon out of prideful spite, in that Malack managed to do what Nale (and the Linear Guild) never managed to do: Kill a member of the Order of the Stick.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ImpAtom posted:

There is a 0% chance Durkon isn't surviving until they venture to Dwarfland. The ironic twist to the prophecy is in place, it would be a complete waste not to see it through.

It'd honestly be a pretty surprising twist if, like Miko's missed undeadening, the whole vampire thing was a feint and he really does end up returning to the Dwarven homelands dead and at peace.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I don't see Roy accepting Vampire Durkon at all. He'll have much the same reaction as living Durkon to Malack, and will take on a quest to destroy V-Durkon, after finishing the whole "gates" thing.
Maybe Roy will fail, and we'll get a bonus set of strips after the main comic ends, of Roy's descendents hunting V-Durkon down.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Considering the actual event had a huge panel dedicated to it, and several strips of characters reacting to it, I don't see him going back on it like this at this point. That would just be flat-out Clevinger, really.

(Also, I don't think most people have read Origins of PCs, so when he brings destruction back to the dwarven lands the fulfillment is going to be more of a bonus for those who have.)

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nale? Mercy? Hardly. More like Nale kills Durkon out of prideful spite, in that Malack managed to do what Nale (and the Linear Guild) never managed to do: Kill a member of the Order of the Stick.

Nale might try to kill him for whatever the reason was that he killed Malack's previous children, but I can't imagine him succeeding. Though that does beg the question of how he killed the others in the first place--I'm guessing they either didn't have a bunch of class levels on top of the vampirism, or he just dragged their coffins into the sun and opened them.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Colonel Cool posted:

I always wonder if Xykon really is as clueless about people like Roy as he makes it seem. Does he actually not remember him at all or is he just faking it because it's funny and pisses him off?

Probably 50/50.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Xykon's spent his whole life being compared to, trying to measure up to, and fighting with wizards. I find it entirely plausible that he saw a team of adventurers led by a fighter and said, "Well, they don't matter."

He even offered to let Roy go and build himself up into a real challenge. But his offer fell through, so Xykon killed him, and since then the OotS hasn't really opposed him in any meaningful way. Why would Xykon care about them, even a little?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
My impression is that Xykon is so confident in the ability of his magical prowess to let him at least pull through even the nastiest surprise intact, that he doesn't consider the extra possible edge gained from small details like remembering individual enemies in case they come back worth the effort that could instead be spent amusing himself. That's not saying he won't put in the effort when it is certain to give him an edge in the near future, but he seems averse to do it "just in case". He acquired the ring protecting him against positive energy when he knew Righteye was planning to backstab him, but had to be convinced by Redcloak to make the rune traps that ended up zapping V's surprise round.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 25, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Colonel Cool posted:

He is very old and has killed thousands of people. It is quite possible he looks at new individuals as "types" not people. Besides, fleshy faces all look alike.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't see Roy accepting Vampire Durkon at all. He'll have much the same reaction as living Durkon to Malack, and will take on a quest to destroy V-Durkon, after finishing the whole "gates" thing.
Maybe Roy will fail, and we'll get a bonus set of strips after the main comic ends, of Roy's descendents hunting V-Durkon down.

You could be on to something here. I can see Roy going much the same way as his dad WRT v-Durkon. Swearing a blood oath to hunt him down, then eventually settling down, having kids, forgetting the oath, and having one of the kids take it up after him. It would be an interesting progression, with some potential justification (I already know I get into heaven, so I'm fiiiine etc).

Could be interesting. Order of the twig maybe :D

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mystic Mongol posted:

Xykon's spent his whole life being compared to, trying to measure up to, and fighting with wizards. I find it entirely plausible that he saw a team of adventurers led by a fighter and said, "Well, they don't matter."

He even offered to let Roy go and build himself up into a real challenge. But his offer fell through, so Xykon killed him, and since then the OotS hasn't really opposed him in any meaningful way. Why would Xykon care about them, even a little?

Well they did destroy him that one time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

greatn posted:

Well they did destroy him that one time.

Xykon's biggest strength is the hubris of others, which he learned to exploit quite well. On the other hand, his biggest weakness is his own hubris. Every time he was brought low it was because he underestimated his foe.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
He didn't remember him at Azure City, and that was after he got destroyed from being body slammed into the gate.

I think Nale is going to mercy kill Durkon because I think there is always one thing a villain has a distaste for, and I'm betting it's gonna be raised dead. I think he's going to mercy kill because of the rivalry with the OoTS.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought Nale killed Malack's children during his failed uprising? Well, I guess that was more implied than said.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noah posted:

He didn't remember him at Azure City, and that was after he got destroyed from being body slammed into the gate.

I think Nale is going to mercy kill Durkon because I think there is always one thing a villain has a distaste for, and I'm betting it's gonna be raised dead. I think he's going to mercy kill because of the rivalry with the OoTS.

He has to return to the Dwarven lands or the prophecy fails. Prophecies made by the Oracle have all come true.

And I don't really see how Nale killing Durkon advances anything, apart from 'well that was a thing that happened."

Of course if it ends up happening you have one motherfucker of a 'told you so' ready to go.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

He has to return to the Dwarven lands or the prophecy fails. Prophecies made by the Oracle have all come true.

And I don't really see how Nale killing Durkon advances anything, apart from 'well that was a thing that happened."

Of course if it ends up happening you have one motherfucker of a 'told you so' ready to go.

He could return just regular dead. Vampires don't turn to dust when staked like in Buffy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

Except for the one about Belkar killing Miko or her horse. Despite whatever bullshit logic the comic used that one clearly failed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Angela Christine posted:

He is very old and has killed thousands of people. It is quite possible he looks at new individuals as "types" not people. Besides, fleshy faces all look alike.

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Cliff Racer posted:

Except for the one about Belkar killing Miko or her horse. Despite whatever bullshit logic the comic used that one clearly failed.

The question asked was would he kill Miko, her stupid horse, or the oracle. And he killed the crap out of that oracle so no BS there

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html - The question

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html - Prophecies do come true

Morand fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 26, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

The prophecy was that he'd kill at least one of the following: Miko, Milo's horse, Roy, V, or the Oracle. He killed the Oracle.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Cliff Racer posted:

The prophecy said he would be responsible for at least one of the deaths of Miko, her horse, V, Roy, or the Oracle, the later he stabbed to death.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, I forgot because it happened after the Oracle gave his bullshit answer (and was the reason he got killed, right?)

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Noah posted:

He's going to recruit Vurkon and slay and resurrect Malack because having two vampire clerics is throwing off his whole Evil Opposite schtick.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Cliff Racer posted:

I thought Nale killed Malack's children during his failed uprising? Well, I guess that was more implied than said.

No, it was definitely explicitly stated (well, not the part about the uprising). Almost nothing Malack's said or done about Nale makes any sense otherwise.

greatn posted:

He could return just regular dead. Vampires don't turn to dust when staked like in Buffy.

They probably do in OOTS.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think he means the uprising. We haven't really heard when or why Nale did it, though the uprising makes sense.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The part about the uprising was the whole point of my post, as the guy above said.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I think the joke there is that a vampire in a casket isn't "dead."

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Spikey posted:

I think the joke there is that a vampire in a casket isn't "dead."

Look at what that character says in the next panel. "I guess they could leave in an urn, though. For their ashes, if they got staked."

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Spiderdrake posted:

I think he means the uprising. We haven't really heard when or why Nale did it, though the uprising makes sense.
When/why was mentioned a while back.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This is turning into an elaborate game of telephone.

Actually this sounds sort of like how some of the strip's jokes sound. Oy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Wait, why he tried to usurp Tarquin or why he offed Malack's kids?