Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I haven't really heard much of Paramore, but this song was fun to listen to. It'll probably be a decent hit on the Mainstream Rock chart, but I don't know if it's likely to cross over into the Hot 100.

This presents an interesting opportunity to debate why, as some have argued, "mainstream rock" is on the verge of becoming an oxymoron. Why is this so, when there's no shortage of rock bands who still know how to write teriffic pop songs?

I feel that if they were just to bump the vocals up a bit more in the mix this would easily chart on pop stations. It seems like it could be the next massive hit except I think it's just a little too focused on the instruments and not the voice of the lead singer.

Of course, I have a feeling Paramore is the type of band that would want to punch me for that suggestion, and I'm not even saying it would make the song better... just more "singalong"-able and therefore higher on the Hot 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Superrodan posted:

Of course, I have a feeling Paramore is the type of band that would want to punch me for that suggestion, and I'm not even saying it would make the song better... just more "singalong"-able and therefore higher on the Hot 100.

I suppose that's a fair assessment.

It sometimes seems as though contemporary rock bands don't really do sing-alongs. The hair metal bands were good at sing-alongs, as were the AOR bands (Journey, Boston, Foreigner and so on). Obviously, I'm generally keen on pop-metal, so maybe I'm just biased.

Foo Fighters have some good ones, and they're probably the biggest rock band there is at the moment, but I don't get the impression it's a terribly high priority for a lot of bands. Rock doesn't really cross over very much any more.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Has anyone else listened to the new Hurts album, Exile? I absolutely loved their debut album, Happiness, but Exile is doing nothing for me. Happiness was chock full of cheesy pop ballads with massive vocal hooks and great synth lines. Exile seems to be taking a more modern approach (I could swear I hear a wub or two at some points during the album, and the lyrics seem to be more dark and edgy (read: embarrassing) rather than the cheesy goodness we got from Happiness. So far all I have come across is praise for Exile (from fans of the group at least), but I was just wondering whether anyone felt the same way I do. Exile does have a few redeeming moments, but it is nowhere near as great as the debut, and there's definitely nothing as good as Better than Love.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

nomapple posted:

Has anyone else listened to the new Hurts album, Exile? I absolutely loved their debut album, Happiness, but Exile is doing nothing for me. Happiness was chock full of cheesy pop ballads with massive vocal hooks and great synth lines. Exile seems to be taking a more modern approach (I could swear I hear a wub or two at some points during the album, and the lyrics seem to be more dark and edgy (read: embarrassing) rather than the cheesy goodness we got from Happiness. So far all I have come across is praise for Exile (from fans of the group at least), but I was just wondering whether anyone felt the same way I do. Exile does have a few redeeming moments, but it is nowhere near as great as the debut, and there's definitely nothing as good as Better than Love.

You're not the only one who thinks this way. The reviews I've read were mediocre at best. Even Peter Robinson over at Popjustice couldn't get excited about Exile. I guess Miracle is quite nice. Or it might seem that way from all the radio plays it gets around here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
While I'm not really much of a fan, I have noticed that Girls Aloud have decided to call it quits. Hadn't they only just got back together?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Dammit, Girls Aloud. You all know that you're better together. Pop needs you!

Edit: Nadine fires the first shot.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 21, 2013

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
I really enjoyed the new Hurts CD. It's different from their debut but it's still lovely. They need to do more collaborations with Kylie Minogue.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

While I'm not really much of a fan, I have noticed that Girls Aloud have decided to call it quits. Hadn't they only just got back together?

THEY NEVER BROKE UP, THEY JUST HAD A "YEAR OFF" FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS.

Thanks girls for years of great songs, cool albums, dodgy but entertaining videos and major teenage crushes. All-in-all not bad for a girl group put together on a TV show.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

Girls Aloud was the best modern girl group. I'm sad that Beautiful Cause You Love Me was their final single, what a load of crap that was.

So what's everyone's favorite GA song? Mine is either Untouchable, Miss You Bow Wow, or Deadlines and Diets.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Call the Shots, pop single perfection.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
My favorite pop group at the moment that has the chance to someday actually go somewhere big is Ghost Beach. Spotify played one of their songs in an ad and I was pretty much instantly hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKwM-7Y1Zk

They've released two EPs as well as a number of standalone songs, and amongst all of their songs the worst I can say is that I didn't find one or two of them remarkably catchy. The last time I liked a pop group's music this universally was Donkeyboy (a few years back) but they're Norweigan and almost nobody in the US has heard of them, nor will they get an opportunity to. Ghost Beach seems to be rising up pretty quick, and they just apparently got a billboard in Times Square. Hopefully I'll be hearing them on the radio soon.

Honestly, I'm finding that more and more I like listening to the top 100. It's like the electronic music that I really liked in the 90 and 00s has grown up with me and mainstream pop has decided to run with it. I would have loved so many of the songs on the radio now when I was in middle and high school.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

deadwing posted:

Holy poo poo the new Paramore song is going to be absolutely massive on the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjZsuCKI-Uw

They've regressed terribly after Riot!. I appreciate that they're trying something new after the Farros' departure but they should have called it quits. IMO All We Know is Falling was their best work. That album is so lush and they were so young. It's amazing that Hayley was barely 16 and Zach was even younger. The album felt so real. We're never going to get another "Franklin" or "Never Let This Go."

I think Hayley and Jeremy are full of themselves.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Britt Nicole's new single and music video Gold are absolutely wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PjrtcHJPo

It's refreshing to have a pop song with such a positive message of self-empowerment for teens.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Joramun posted:

Britt Nicole's new single and music video Gold are absolutely wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PjrtcHJPo

It's refreshing to have a pop song with such a positive message of self-empowerment for teens.

Honestly, it seems like one of these positive message of self-empowerment for teens songs charts out every few months now. Firework, What Doesn't Kill You, Who Says, and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

It just seems like the thing to sing about at the moment.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Metal Loaf posted:

While I'm not really much of a fan, I have noticed that Girls Aloud have decided to call it quits.

So has My Chemical Romance.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Little Boots released a new track from her upcoming album last week, here's a link to a stream, and it's also available on Spotify: http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/03/18/little-boots-broken-record-new-song/

I'm really psyched for this album, Hands had so many ridiculously good tracks.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

het posted:

Little Boots released a new track from her upcoming album last week, here's a link to a stream, and it's also available on Spotify: http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/03/18/little-boots-broken-record-new-song/

I'm really psyched for this album, Hands had so many ridiculously good tracks.

'Motorway' is also available as a free download from her website. I prefer that to 'Broken Record'.

I am also pretty excited for the album, she seems to have gone for a darker, more subdued atmosphere.

Oh and True Romance the much anticipated first album from Charli XCX will be released on April 15th. Get loving in.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

Little Boots is amazing. I remember being blown away the first time I heard Remedy. Such a great song.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sprat Sandwich posted:

'Motorway' is also available as a free download from her website. I prefer that to 'Broken Record'.

I am also pretty excited for the album, she seems to have gone for a darker, more subdued atmosphere.

Oh and True Romance the much anticipated first album from Charli XCX will be released on April 15th. Get loving in.
Motorway definitely stuck with me way more than Broken Record but we'll see how I feel over time. I enjoy Motorway but I'm hoping the album is more upbeat as a whole than that track.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since Benne has posted one of his reviews in the thread already, I thought I'd mention that Todd In the Shadows has a review of "Scream and Shout" by will.i.am and Britney Bitch Spears up.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

lelandjs posted:

I'm on Strawberry Bubblegum and I'm digging it. I love the effort that Timberland and Timberlake put into their collaborations, even though I don't have a lot of love for pop music in general.

What's the opinion on Kimbra? I loved Vows, and watching her live videos is great fun (and generally pretty impressive). I especially love what she does with Settle Down live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7GLvMYSHI

[Edit: I just realized she's doing all that on a couple iPads :stare:]

This is kinda crazy because I was at the Spotify House constantly and I didn't see Kimbra. I didn't even know she was playing. Oh well, too many free drinks, kinda bummed out now!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Metal Loaf posted:

Since Benne has posted one of his reviews in the thread already, I thought I'd mention that Todd In the Shadows has a review of "Scream and Shout" by will.i.am and Britney Bitch Spears up.
My only exposure to this guy being what little of this video and the previous one that I could stand, does this guy actually like pop music? So far this doesn't sound any different from the average annoying nerd complaining about popular music.

het fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 25, 2013

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

het posted:

My only exposure to this guy being what little of this video and the previous one that I could stand, does this guy actually like pop music? So far this doesn't sound any different from the average annoying nerd complaining about popular music.

He put a Flo Rida song on his top ten best songs of the year video.

I think that about says it all.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Maremidon posted:

Hey, Whistle is admittedly awful, but still a really enjoyable song IMO. Re: Hurts: Exile isn't that bad, I just think my expectations were a bit high. Mercy is a good track, at least. There are a few other standouts as well. The end of the album feels pretty weak, but Happiness definitely tailed off too.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

nomapple posted:

Hey, Whistle is admittedly awful, but still a really enjoyable song IMO. Re: Hurts: Exile isn't that bad, I just think my expectations were a bit high. Mercy is a good track, at least. There are a few other standouts as well. The end of the album feels pretty weak, but Happiness definitely tailed off too.

Full disclosure: I enjoy most of Flo Rida's work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

het posted:

He likes pop music in general. His videos are about songs he thinks are bad.

Maremidon posted:

I think he put a different Flo Rida song on his video concerning the top ten worst songs of the same year, though.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Metal Loaf posted:

He likes pop music in general. His videos are about songs he thinks are bad.
Wow, that's really unpleasant.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Maremidon posted:

Full disclosure: I enjoy most of Flo Rida's work.

I don't know what it is about Flo Rida but I tend to love his radio singles. I feel no shame.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

het posted:

How so?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

het posted:

Watch one of his "best song of 20XX" videos. It's clear that he really, really likes music, but people somehow prefer to watch internet critics review poo poo, and he knows what pays the bills.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Making fun of stupid stuff is fine but this just seems forced and less about humor (there's a lot of lazy, weak jokes here) and more about just establishing oneself as better than the artists/material you're looking at. But it sounds like this probably belongs in the PYF thread for this, yes?

edit:

well, poo poo.
vvvvvvvvv

het fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 26, 2013

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

het posted:

Making fun of stupid stuff is fine but this just seems forced and less about humor (there's a lot of lazy, weak jokes here) and more about just establishing oneself as better than the artists/material you're looking at. But it sounds like this probably belongs in the PYF thread for this, yes?

Doesn't exist anymore. :(

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ninjahedgehog posted:

Doesn't exist anymore. :(

It's in RGD now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

het posted:

He does stuff other than make fun of bad music. He also covers one hit wonders of the past, like Take On Me and Come On Eileen. I also think he's better when he's complimenting a song than when he's beating one down, but whatever.

EDIT: And in that spirit, my favourite one hit wonder would be I Believe In A Thing Called Love. :3: Hard to believe that only ten years ago, we were still getting hair metal style music on the charts... this was on the charts, right? It was played all the time on Much, but I don't know about MTV...

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 26, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

frenchnewwave posted:

I don't know what it is about Flo Rida but I tend to love his radio singles. I feel no shame.

Flo Rida seems like the guy where a producer has come to a label (or vice versa) and they need someone to shout the thing out so they call Mr. Rida and BLAM Top 5.

He earns most of my ire for being a "inexplicably shows up in the middle of a song with a 'rap' and fucks off" guy.

But I guess neither of those things are exactly his fault.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

He does stuff other than make fun of bad music. He also covers one hit wonders of the past, like Take On Me and Come On Eileen. I also think he's better when he's complimenting a song than when he's beating one down, but whatever.

EDIT: And in that spirit, my favourite one hit wonder would be I Believe In A Thing Called Love. :3: Hard to believe that only ten years ago, we were still getting hair metal style music on the charts... this was on the charts, right? It was played all the time on Much, but I don't know about MTV...

Excuse me but A-ha is a very well known band and has had a lot of success in many different countries with many different songs :goonsay:

And 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' is a great fun song.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Excuse me but A-ha is a very well known band and has had a lot of success in many different countries with many different songs :goonsay:

That's a problem with the definition of a "one hit wonder". Very often, they have at least one lesser hit that's been forgotten, or they're enormously successful in other parts of the world. For example, Madness and Frankie Goes To Hollywood are bands who are often described as one hit wonders in America but did a lot better in Europe.

quote:

And 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' is a great fun song.

Yeah, it's great, though I suppose it was inevitable that there would be people going, "Stop it! Heavy metal is meant to be serious, damnit! :qq:"

In other news, Justin Timberlake's new album sold more than the next sixty-five albums on the Billboard 200 put together.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Metal Loaf posted:

That's a problem with the definition of a "one hit wonder". Very often, they have at least one lesser hit that's been forgotten, or they're enormously successful in other parts of the world. For example, Madness and Frankie Goes To Hollywood are bands who are often described as one hit wonders in America but did a lot better in Europe.
Same goes for Aqua.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Joramun posted:

Same goes for Aqua.

And Psy in about two months.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think Psy will have another hit in America? I guess if he's able to come up with another ultra-memetic video it might take him all the way to number one under the new rules, but that obviously remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

You should watch his a-ha video. I'm a huge a-ha fan and I think he did them more justice than 99% of the American audience.