Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Manta posted:

I just got my A+, now I want to work towards getting CCNA. I can take some preparation classes, but it is kind of confusing. Maybe a dumb question, but what (if any) classes should I sign up for?

How familiar are you with networking, believe me there is a lot to it, if you are new to networking, when going for the CCNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

blakout posted:

Just passed A+802 by the scruff of the neck it's no joke make sure you have command line rock solid. And 801 make sure you know mobo components and wireless standards

Anything specific in the command line stuff give you problems? I know my way around it pretty well but don't want any surprises.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Kaethela posted:

Anything specific in the command line stuff give you problems? I know my way around it pretty well but don't want any surprises.

Given one computer had its ip address changed use the command line to resolve it on the other computer. Also rebuilding a boot sector from command.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I passed the Network+ today. I also have the A+.

Are Windows 7 certs worth getting?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

forever gold posted:

So I passed the Network+ today. I also have the A+.

Are Windows 7 certs worth getting?

The 70-680 is the only valuable if you are doing the MCITP-SA/EA line. All the desktop support line certs are almost worthless as far as HR and hiring managers go. The knowledge they teach in the coursework however is pretty useful depending on your experience, just don't spend money on the actual tests unless you just have the itch to. Just buying the books and learning the technology that would would be a leg up in my opinion.

You have quite a few things you can move to that would be worth your time. The next step is just to specialize a little.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

How familiar are you with networking, believe me there is a lot to it, if you are new to networking, when going for the CCNA.

Familiar with the basics like IP address breakdown/sub nets and TCP/IP stack. That's why I want a training coarse if there is one.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm on the right track. I've sort of migrated from a grants and contracting position to doing more systems stuff. I manage our web-based grants management system, do reports with Report Builder, and I tell our SQL contractor what views, scripts, etc. we need. A lot of what I've done is on the functionality end, not working much with SQL Management Studio other than to identify what tables and columns likely have the data we need. I'm sort of on track to become out SharePoint guy since we upgraded to 2010. I love SharePoint and want to work more with it. Depending on test results I should now have LearningTree's SharePoint 2010 Administration certification, but it sounds like it has little value on a resume. Also, taking the Administrating SharePoint Server class made it clear that I know little to nothing about Windows Server and Powershell. I've also taken a SQL Server 2008 Reporting class which made it clear that I am not super into writing stuff in SQL.

It seems like the certs I should focus on are:

A+ - I'm pretty close to the knowledge from a couple practice tests so I'm reading the Mike Meyers book. Seems like a good first step to get my foot in the door.
MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010 - Even though it's expiring it would give me a standard certification, if my work pays for it.

After that, N+ and Windows Server training (to build towards certification) seem like the next logical steps. I'm trying to figure out where I'm going in the next few years and I think I would want to focus on SharePoint administration, maybe building towards department management.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track? My employer uses SharePoint 2010 and Server 2008 R2, so it's easy to justify that they should pay for that training/certs. Should I instead be focusing on SP and Server 2013 because that's the newest stuff?

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Manta posted:

I just got my A+, now I want to work towards getting CCNA. I can take some preparation classes, but it is kind of confusing. Maybe a dumb question, but what (if any) classes should I sign up for?

If/when I ever start on the CCNA, I plan to take an actual classroom class at a local community college. Let them provide the equipment, and provide someone to bounce questions/ideas off of seems like a more likely passing score for a dummy like me. If you do well at online training and reading then go that route. Just my two cents.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That has to be the worst promotional video I've ever seen...

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Tab8715 posted:

That has to be the worst promotional video I've ever seen...

Sometimes career paths aren't paths at all! (They're dead-ends.)

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

routenull0 posted:

The NP:SP looks to have some odd requirements, like NA:SP or any one of the older CCIP exams passed, but not an actual NP before you can take it. I was going to start on taking the NP exams this month to finish them by end of April, but I enjoy the SP world way more, so I might go that route, but first knock out NA:SP I guess.

The biggest problem getting into CCNP:SP is having access to IOS XR. I would not pursue this cert unless you can get access to it or maybe until there is emulation for it.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is a CCNA without experience worthless?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

forever gold posted:

No, so long as you're not a dumbass and have social skills. Just don't expect to fall into anything other than a senior desktop/Jr. Netadmin position.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psydude posted:

so long as you're not a dumbass

Explain.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

forever gold posted:

Only if you CertKing'd it(course any cert is at that point). If you actually set up the labs(even packet tracer is head and sholders above most), and read the material it is full of worth.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Corvettefisher posted:

Only if you CertKing'd it(course any cert is at that point). If you actually set up the labs(even packet tracer is head and sholders above most), and read the material it is full of worth.

I see people on other tech forums and youtube going crazy with the labbing, having a full rack of switches/routers and whatnot. Curious how much of that is necessary. Makes the whole thing seem a bit daunting.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

forever gold posted:

I see people on other tech forums and youtube going crazy with the labbing, having a full rack of switches/routers and whatnot. Curious how much of that is necessary. Makes the whole thing seem a bit daunting.

The farther you go obviously the better, and using real material is great. You can usually pull some cheap 296(5)0's, 1811's, and 28xx off ebay for cheap and play around. For some hands on stuff without buying all the equipment, check your local community college. Besides people networking is really important too, and most of the time people in CC's for things like CCNA study have jobs, sometimes if you are really good you can get them for an interview.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

forever gold posted:

The more you know, and the deeper your understanding of what the test actually asks you, the more you really get from the stuff. The difference between reading something and puking an answer out, vs. dragging a physical switch config kicking and screaming into sullen compliance is really really huge.

I'm halfway through the Server 2012 MCSE, and sitting down with the study books and just following along with the lab stuff is hands down the reason I end up passing 1st try most of the time. "This is familiar and I could set this up again in my sleep" is an unbelievably helpful thing when you get into Certificate Authority and AD Federation bullshit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

forever gold posted:

None of it is a necessity. The people you see doing this are passionate and are striving to better themselves the best way they can. These types will not only smash the ccna, but will probably have a superior practical knowledge of the systems they seek to administer in the workplace.

Labbing at home isn't crazy. I would say that unless nepotism or luck is on your side, labbing is the best chance you set yourself on the path of mastering the technology when you don't have the access at work.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I really want to get the 70-640, but I have 0 experience as a Sys Admin. Since Server 2008 R2 is kind of prohibitively expensive to buy just to play around with in VMs, is there some better option?

The 70-680/685 (MCSA Win7) is very attainable for me, with the imaging/deployment subjects the only thing I am not familiar with.

Really I just want to move toward a job for Tier 2 Deskside Support with some ID admin duties so I can start getting more experienced with Windows Server..but I don't know if an MCSA for Windows 7 support would do much to help me toward that goal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Meta Ridley posted:

I really want to get the 70-640, but I have 0 experience as a Sys Admin. Since Server 2008 R2 is kind of prohibitively expensive to buy just to play around with in VMs, is there some better option?

The 70-680/685 (MCSA Win7) is very attainable for me, with the imaging/deployment subjects the only thing I am not familiar with.

Really I just want to move toward a job for Tier 2 Deskside Support with some ID admin duties so I can start getting more experienced with Windows Server..but I don't know if an MCSA for Windows 7 support would do much to help me toward that goal.

Are you currently a college student?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

madmaan posted:

Are you currently a college student?

Nope, no college degree either. But I've been working at a service desk for about 15 months and want to get out of there as soon as I hit 2 years, to move up to a tier2 job and hopefully never work Hell Desk again.

I know college students can sometimes get very cheap licenses from MS but I don't qualify for that unless there is some other alternative (and not filez).

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Go here and download the iso: http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-official-iso-images-180-days-free-trial-download/

Then when the trial is up dump the VM and start over.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ganon posted:

Go here and download the iso: http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-official-iso-images-180-days-free-trial-download/

This is what I used on my home lab stuff before I got hired on at a place that had enough open value keys for me to license my home lab for work related fuckery.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Ganon posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Is a 6-month timeframe a bit too optimistic to learn and take the 70-640, coming from someone who has no direct Directory/Wintel server admin experience?

Basically I plan on knocking out the A+ in a week or two (gotta read up on my FDD cable pin counts, ISA bus bandwidth and Various Cable Lengths), then go for the MCSA Desktop Support in about 3 months..then work toward that 70-640 and hopefully get it before the end of the year.

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 26, 2013

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Meta Ridley posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Is a 6-month timeframe a bit too optimistic to learn and take the 70-640, coming from someone who has no direct Directory/Wintel server admin experience?

Basically I plan on knocking out the A+ in a week or two (gotta read up on my FDD cable pin counts, ISA bus bandwidth and Various Cable Lengths), then go for the MCSA Desktop Support in about 3 months..then work toward that 70-640 and hopefully get it before the end of the year.

You can generally do a chapter a weeknight if you're just reading the material, another day to do the labs. Do 2 chapters complete on a weekend. The 70-640 blue book I got from MS had like 20ish? chapters in it, so you're looking at about 2 months to be completely "I understand and can apply these things outside the framework of the multiple guess test".

Do the labs, even if you have a crappy PC with like 8 gigs of ram. They're very much worth it, so you at least see and know what the thing is asking you about.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Corvettefisher posted:

This has to be a joke... Right?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

If it wasn't for the people we have interviewed(our process includes a lab) with a CCNA who;
Didn't know how to log into or access the cisco device
Didn't know the syntax structure
Didn't know the operation levels in IOS
etc etc

Packet tracer is FAR from perfect but it does give you at least an idea of what to do when you are in a device. But they could Subnet for me all day, tell me how many usable IP addresses there are, and recite me OSI model!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just buy an old 2600 off eBay, pull the IOS image off, and run it in GNS3. For switching, buy one or two 2950s and set them up with your machine (GNS3 will let you use your NIC to connect to a physical network and add it into the simulation).

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

So, I got this from Cisco in my email today.

Looks like they're changing the vanilla CCNA to CCNA Routing and Switching. This also affects the other CCNA specializations, like CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless, CCNA Security, etc. Now you'll be able to take just the ICND1, and then the specialization exam to complete the requirements for each, instead of both the ICND1 and ICND2 or full CCNA exam in addition to the specialization exam.

Looks like the pre-reqs have been updated on the Certifications pages too: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/index.html

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Last day to test for the current (old?) CCNA, ICND1, and ICND2 4.0 is September 30, 2013 so lots of time left if you're studying.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I know that's a long while away but I am still worried :ohdear:

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Tab8715 posted:

I've had a few run ins with people on other networking forums who hold CCNA/CCNA:S and are asking basic questions because they landed a job and now can't do the work. As soon as they're exposed no-one helps then anymore though so they move on.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

So, I got this from Cisco in my email today.

quote:

While more than 99 percent of things in the physical world today are still not connected to the Internet, the phenomenon called "the Internet of Everything" will soon wake up everything imaginable.

haha who the hell gets paid to write this poo poo? :allears:

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
:siren: Info on CCNA 5.0 ICND1 :siren:

todd@lammle.com posted:

I took the exam the day it was released.
Here is my assessment: "Take the current CCNA, make it twice as hard and rename it CCENT".
I'm trying to finish my book up, but I have to add a whole lot more on IPv6! I mean a lot more, so that will keep me busy for another few weeks.
That's all I'll say for now....I may create a new post, but I want to write it carefully and correctly.
Todd Lammle

The exam was released a day or two ago. The E-books are available from some sources but the print books aren't.

ToG fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 28, 2013

entragian
Oct 13, 2003
Passed the ICND1 this morning. Now I just need to pass the ICND2 before September 30.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He should write some CCNP books while he's at it.

So I'm trying to do one ROUTE lab per night. Some of the later ones get pretty damned in depth; I'm guessing they got a bit beyond the exam, which is good.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I was given a nudging by my manager to start pursuing a higher level security cert. I've been in a sort of hybrid Sr. Windows SysAdmin/IT Security role for a few years now and with a new CIO re-org coming, it definitely can't hurt. My future goal is to move into a senior ITSec role when/if one becomes available.

I assume he's nudging me towards CISSP but I think CCNA Sec, CEH or SSCP would also be valid paths. Which would you pick as far as effort and knowledge value go? I read the "Why You Should Not Get A CISSP" pdf a few pages back and I agree with a lot of the points, but if it ensures my positional standing at a job I quite enjoy, I still do it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread yet.

Are the 70-640, 642 and 646 really being retired?

According to this post they are still going to be active, just if you complete them, you will be an MCSA: Server 2008 instead of the MCITP variant. Potato potaaaaato.

quote:

I've now viewed several threads here where people are saying that the MCITP: Server Administrator exams (70-640, 70-642, 70-646) are being retired on July 31, 2013. This is a misunderstanding.

The MCITP certifications (EA & SA) are being retired on that date, along with some of the core exams for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator certification (70-643, 70-647). However, the MCITP: SA exams (70-640, 70-642, 70-646) are not being retired, only the MCITP: SA designation.

Students who pass the MCITP: SA exams after July 31, 2013 will now be awarded the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification instead of the MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification. It is simply a name change for the MCITP: SA.

Microsoft's MCITP Certifications web page says the following:

MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008. This certification will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013. Candidates who pass Exams 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 will continue to earn the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification after the MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification is no longer available.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/59cdd9a8-8d45-4079-9aa2-954c4b5d0194

If this is true, I may hack out the three 2008 R2 tests then upgrade the cert to 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Ozu posted:

I was given a nudging by my manager to start pursuing a higher level security cert. I've been in a sort of hybrid Sr. Windows SysAdmin/IT Security role for a few years now and with a new CIO re-org coming, it definitely can't hurt. My future goal is to move into a senior ITSec role when/if one becomes available.

I assume he's nudging me towards CISSP but I think CCNA Sec, CEH or SSCP would also be valid paths. Which would you pick as far as effort and knowledge value go? I read the "Why You Should Not Get A CISSP" pdf a few pages back and I agree with a lot of the points, but if it ensures my positional standing at a job I quite enjoy, I still do it.

If anything I'd do CEH last. Not sure what sort of "industry" you're in, but I know that where I am almost every one of these positions REQUIRES a CISSP/CISM/CISA type cert, and then stuff like CEH or Security+ are nice to have (but really nobody cares if you have the main one).