Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
:siren: First season of the Anime has been slated for a July 28th release by Warner Bros. PRE-ORDER IT HERE OR HERE :siren:

:siren: Parts 1 through 3 available digitally on your platform of preference. Parts 1 and 3 available physically at your nearest book store or Amazon. :siren:

:siren: Don't Ask Where To Start Reading. Part 1 Is Called That For A Reason. :siren:

Buy it you nerds. The Stardust Crusaders Anime thread is over here.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (From here on referred to as JoJo) is a long running Manga series written and illustrated by Hirohiko Araki. It debuted in late 1986 as a Weekly Shonen Jump title, where it was groundbreaking at the time because it did not feature a main character that was japanese. Regarded by some as a Fist of the North star clone at first, this incredible series quickly finds its own groove and turns into one of the best long running Mangas of all time. It's important to note that it's not one long running story arc since 1986, but rather, it is divided by parts, indicated by a change in main characters.

Part 1: Phantom Blood Volumes 1-5

JoJo: Jonathan Joestar

Set in Victorian England, this part has Jonathan Joestar duking it out with his childhood rival and adoptive brother Dio Brando. It features some small horror elements, lots of punching and Speedwagon.

Part 2: Battle Tendency Volumes 6-12

JoJo: Joseph Joestar

The year is 1938, and Joseph Joestar, Jonathan's grandson, has to investigate the mystery behind a being enclosed in a pillar found in México by Speedwagon. Features lots of scantily clad men, clever antics, Nazis and the most glamorous lady to grace Anime and Manga.

Part 3: Stardust Crusaders Volumes 13-28

JoJo: Jotaro Kujo

Set during the late 1980's, this is the conclusion to the story arcs started in Phantom Blood. Features Jotaro Kujo, the most iconic JoJo (also Joseph's Grandson), in a trip around the world with other Muscular Men to defeat Dio. Also the debut of Stands.

Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable (Official title Diamond is not Crash) Volumes 29-47

JoJo: Josuke Higashikata

Josuke Higashikata is a normal high school student who happens to have a Stand, this is due to him being the illegitimate son of Joseph Joestar. Features a more laidback approach to story telling, starting out as a whodunit and ending in one of the best finales to a story arc in JoJo.

Part 5: Vento Aureo Volumes 47-63

GioGio: Giorno Giovanna

Italy, 2001. Giorno Giovanna wants to become a gangster in order to fulfill his dream: becoming a "Gangstar". This part features an incredibly strong supporting cast, confusing stands and really fabulous clothing.

Part 6: Stone Ocean Volumes 64-80

JoJo: Jolyne Kujo

Taking place in Port St. Lucie, Florida, this story follows Jotaro's daughter, Jolyne, as she is framed for a DUI murder and ends up in the Green Dolphin Street Prison. Features even more unique Stands, some of the best character design in the series and an ending that is incredibly divisive among the fanbase.

Part 7: Steel Ball Run Volumes 81-104

Zeppeli: Gyro Zeppeli

Set in 1888, Steel Ball Run tells the story of Gyro Zeppeli, a man from the Kingdom of Naples who wishes to win the Steel Ball Run race to grant the freedom of a small child. Also has a JoJo I guess.

Part 8: JoJolion Volumes 105-???

JoJo: Josuke Higashikata

Other JoJo related media:

Videogames:

Famicom Jump I & II: Joseph and Jotaro respectively are main cast members in each game.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Super Famicom): RPG/Adventure game based on Stardust Crusaders.

JoJo's Venture & JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future (CPS3, PS1, Dreamcast, XBLA, PSN): Arcade game based on Stardust Crusaders, features an original design for Middler who wasn't actually on scene in the Manga. Also Joseph from part 2.

Le Bizzarre Avventure di GioGio: Vento Aureo (PS2): Japan exclusive beat 'em up featuring Part 5.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood (PS2): Japan exclusive beat 'em up with lots of fabulous posing. Moderately rare.

Jump Super Stars & Jump Ultimate Stars (NDS): Japan exclusive fighting games featuring both Jotaro and Dio.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle (PS3): Bad fighting game, featuring characters from all 8 parts of the Manga, developed by CyberConnect2 and published by Namco-Bandai. Out in all regions now!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven: An upcoming arena-ish fighting game for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 developed by CyberConnect2 and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment.

Animation:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (OVA 1993-2000): Animated adaptation of part 3 that came out in two blocks, the first one covering the second half and the second one covering the first half. It's bad but it's worth watching to see a version of part 3 with good animation.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood (Film 2007): An adaptation so bad, that not even Araki acknowledges its existence. It doesn't even have speedwagon! It was also never released on DVD, and most likely will never see the light of day ever again.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Anime 2012 - 2013): The best adaptation of JoJo by far, it's currently ongoing and so far it's covered Parts 1 and 2. Here's a link to the archived Anime thread.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (Anime 2014 - 2015): Continuation of the previous, covering Part 3. Here's a link to the current Anime thread, no spoilers!!

Uznare fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Uznare posted:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (OVA 1993-2000): Animated adaptation of part 3 that came out in two blocks, the first one covering the second half and the second one covering the first half. Don't watch this, it's bad.

How the gently caress did that happen, anyways? :psyduck:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Might as well get this out of the way early.

Also, if Rohan is the protagonist for Part 4, then Buccellati sure as hell is the protagonist for Vento Aureo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Might as well get this out of the way early.

Also, if Rohan is the protagonist for Part 4, then Buccellati sure as hell is the protagonist for Vento Aureo.

This reminds me, if the thread starts taking nominations for a subtitle, is it alright if I throw 'Awaken, my posters' into the ring? Assuming it hasn't been done before.

And is Rohan really the protagonist for Part 4? :psyduck: If that's true my mind's blown. Did Araki say this somewhere?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Josuke is the protagonist of part 4, Rohan doesn't even appear before the middle of Part 4 and Josuke has all the biggest fights including the final one, while Rohan only has a few quirky fights.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think it's a joke about how Rohan is Araki's selfinsert (even though he's in denial about it).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Araki said people are a bit scared to talk with him since they think he's like Rohan when in fact he is very nice with people :shobon:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
That, and the fact that he might just steal their youth to prolong his own.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Because the anime's up to this point, this image is apt:

I also nominate "SEX: USELESS" as the thread's subtitle

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Araki said people are a bit scared to talk with him since they think he's like Rohan when in fact he is very nice with people :shobon:

Well, about that...

I don't know about you, but sometimes Araki scares me.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cerebral Bore posted:

I don't know about you, but sometimes Araki scares me.

I always liked this one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My favorite one is his tree-climbing PSA.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Cerebral Bore posted:

then Buccellati sure as hell is the protagonist for Vento Aureo.

Far as I'm concerned, Vento Aureo is pretty much Le Bizzarre Avventure di BruBu and no one will ever convince me otherwise :colbert:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Josuke is the protagonist of part 4, Rohan doesn't even appear before the middle of Part 4 and Josuke has all the biggest fights including the final one, while Rohan only has a few quirky fights.

I thought Koichi was the main character of Part 4.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Far as I'm concerned, Vento Aureo is pretty much Le Bizzarre Avventure di BruBu and no one will ever convince me otherwise :colbert:

We all joke about it, but to be honest, it's true. Bruno is the leader of the gang and thus the one handing out orders and generally running things, Bruno is the one that gets handed the main quest, Bruno is the one that gets to throw down mano e mano with the Big Bad, and to top it all off, Giorno would have been nowhere near any of the plot if it wasn't for Bruno being impressed enough with him to accept him into the gang. Also he's got the coolest Stand and battlecry.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Silver2195 posted:

I thought Koichi was the main character of Part 4.
You don't have to remember him.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I think the problem is that part 4 and 5 both have a ton of really good side characters that sometimes steal the spotlight.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Cerebral Bore posted:

We all joke about it, but to be honest, it's true. Bruno is the leader of the gang and thus the one handing out orders and generally running things, Bruno is the one that gets handed the main quest, Bruno is the one that gets to throw down mano e mano with the Big Bad, and to top it all off, Giorno would have been nowhere near any of the plot if it wasn't for Bruno being impressed enough with him to accept him into the gang. Also he's got the coolest Stand and battlecry.

Yeah, I wasn't really joking about it :v: It's not even just that most of the story revolves around Buccellati and his actions; Giorno also just felt pretty unimportant to me. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but as I recall, he was really only involved in a handful of fights after joining Passione. Of course that all changes when Araki gives him godmode so there's some way to stop King Crimson, but up until then Buccellati is the real driving force and Giorno's basically just the team medic.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
I just recently finished reading Stone Ocean

Anasui's lines made me laugh much more than I should have.

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010
I thought Phantom Blood was boring; it's essentially Fist of the North Star with vampires and zombies.

Battle Tendency however is pretty entertaining, if only because Joseph Joestar is insane and fun to watch how he'll BS his way through every fight.

I'm still watching the TV series to see if and how they adapt Stardust Crusaders. Like everyone else, the Stardust Crusaders arc is the real Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to me, because "Adventure" actually applies to the series for once. (Also because Jotaro Kujo is the best Jojo in my opinion) I actually first heard of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure through the fighting game on the Dreamcast.

Uznare posted:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (OVA 1993-2000): Animated adaptation of part 3 that came out in two blocks, the first one covering the second half and the second one covering the first half. Don't watch this, it's bad.

I thought it was great. Although it may be an abridged version of the manga, it looks so much better than the TV series; it doesn't have the annoying narrator from the TV series. :colbert:

Just a question: Is there any reason why certain volumes of the English published manga are so freaking expensive?

SamuraiSnake fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 26, 2013

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

SamuraiSnake posted:

I'm still watching the TV series to see if and how they adapt Stardust Crusaders. Like everyone else, the Stardust Crusaders arc is the real Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to me, because "Adventure" actually applies to the series for once. (Also because Jotaro Kujo is the best Jojo in my opinion)
I thought it was great. Although it may be an abridged version of the manga, it looks so much better than the TV series; it doesn't have the annoying narrator from the TV series. :colbert:

:frogout:

quote:

Just a question: Is there any reason why certain volumes of the English published manga are so freaking expensive?

Because they're out of print, the entire english release is out of print because Viz doesn't give a gently caress. (It sold badly)

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Uznare posted:

:frogout:

Because they're out of print, the entire english release is out of print because Viz doesn't give a gently caress. (It sold badly)
Having started collecting them since Christmas, I've so far been able to snag vol.1 and then 7-16 easily. I'm gonna have to hunt for the missing ones and do some creative negotiation to complete my collection without going broke.

Oddly enough, when I looked through the first volume, I noticed that it was a second printing dated "September 2012".

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Perigryn posted:

Having started collecting them since Christmas, I've so far been able to snag vol.1 and then 7-16 easily. I'm gonna have to hunt for the missing ones and do some creative negotiation to complete my collection without going broke.

Oddly enough, when I looked through the first volume, I noticed that it was a second printing dated "September 2012".

That's really interesting, I wonder if they did it because of the Anime announcement. Regardless volumes 4-6 fetch really high prices around the 60 dollar mark which is not good news.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So I'm most of the way through Part 3 now. It's sure something.

But, mostly I came to say, Iggy :(

e: Also, is Ripple just straight up not A Thing anymore after Battle Tendency?

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 27, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mikeycp posted:

So I'm most of the way through Part 3 now. It's sure something.

But, mostly I came to say, Iggy :(

e: Also, is Ripple just straight up not A Thing anymore after Battle Tendency?

Pretty much, but in part 7 (Steel Ball Run) the protagonists use something called 'spin' that's kind of similar to the ripple.

I liked the Ripple :smith:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Now I have completely finished Part 3, and I come to a crossroads.
Do I read Part 4 in English, or DUWANG? (Probably English)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mikeycp posted:

DUWANG is the only proper way to experience part 4 and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :colbert:

No but seriously save yourself some grief and just stick with English.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pretty much, but in part 7 (Steel Ball Run) the protagonists use something called 'spin' that's kind of similar to the ripple.

I liked the Ripple :smith:

I really love Spin. Ripple is fine, but Spin is so JoJo in that it's a simple concept taken to insane extremes in practice.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I really love Spin. Ripple is fine, but Spin is so JoJo in that it's a simple concept taken to insane extremes in practice.

I'll look forward to it. I can't think of anything I've read or watched that's quite like this.
Right now I just learned about the Stand Arrows. I had to ask my monitor what the poo poo it was showing me for a few seconds.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

mikeycp posted:

I read Part 4 in DUWANG and was laughing my rear end off the whole way through, so I'd say go with that.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

mikeycp posted:

Eh, if you're reading it for the first time, just stick with the rescans, they're very well done. Duwang is lots of fun, but I think it'd be better for a re-read so you won't be distracted from the story by lines like "Last crime done even the rats in the toilet will puke because of its sickness nature."

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Duwang being "necessary" is kind of a joke because it's what all of us had to deal with back when it was the only option.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Yeah, it's more of a giant injoke now than anything. If you want to experience a piece of JoJo fan history, DUWANG is a lot of fun because it's so bad, but if you want to read Part 4, you should just read Part 4. The only reason I can think of to read DUWANG first would be to then later look at the well translated pages and go, "OH! That's what that meant."

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I started reading this pretty much from the beginning and it's very creative and flamboyant and at time very surreal. I don't like mangas much, but this one has drawn me back in and I feel like reading through the whole thing now.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 27, 2013

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hey everybody, I think I kinda found the coolest thing ever, even though it gives me a feeling so complicated.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Hey everybody, I think I kinda found the coolest thing ever, even though it gives me a feeling so complicated.
Love it, though I'm not sure everyone will appreciate this.

If you want to know what it is, it's a mash-up of Roundabout and Space Jam by the Quad City DJs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
New ASB commercials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz2UJlbp8Q8&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDE3HxU4qpI

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

At first I thought these were way too drat short, but then I saw Joseph with the tommy gun.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

At first I thought these were way too drat short, but then I saw Joseph with the tommy gun.
I can't wait to hit every single Joestar with Dio's knife barrage. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

• Locked thread