Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
First brew tonight...

on the boil right now. Target gravity pre-boil was 1.039, and I hit 1.036, so I don't think i'm doing too badly so far

edit: fresh hops smell. ...... dank

Turds in magma fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm brewing a Cervesa with Wyeast 2007, and in the description they said the yeast is very tolerant of a wide range of temperatures including room temperature. I read the description and didn't really focus on the yeast, and it's been fermenting for 24 hours at around 68F. Did I just screw myself, or is 2007 that tolerant? Should I put it in the garage where temps are much lower?

Put it in the garage. Figured 51F is a better bet than 68F. Here's hoping spring holds off for a few more weeks.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Turds in magma posted:

edit: fresh hops smell. ...... dank

"Cannabaceae are a small family of flowering plants. The family includes ... Cannabis (hemp) and Humulus (hops)."

Drink beer every day. :350::hf::cheers:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have no doubt that when weed becomes legal in whichever state you may reside in, they will be packaged and sold exactly like hops.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

fullroundaction posted:

"Cannabaceae are a small family of flowering plants. The family includes ... Cannabis (hemp) and Humulus (hops)."

Drink beer every day. :350::hf::cheers:

so... where can I buy weed-beer? How does it taste? I am 900% certain people have replaced hops with weed in their beer before... maybe even hemp would work (I have no idea how hemp buds smell...)?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Putting marijuana in beer seems like a horrible waste of money to be honest.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Put it in the garage. Figured 51F is a better bet than 68F. Here's hoping spring holds off for a few more weeks.

If your garage was 51F reliably, it should have been in there the whole time. 51F is right about the right temperature to ferment a lager at. If you're looking at ambient room temperatures to ferment lager-like beers, you probably should use San Francisco Lager, aka Anchor Steam yeast.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

hellfaucet posted:

If you're trying to do a Three Floyd's Zombie Dust clone, their house yeast is Wyeast 1968, which is also WLP002. Take that for what it's worth.

This is the Zombie Dust recipe I was planning to try. Should I ditch the S-04 and just go with WLP002 for it?

Also here's my translation of it for my setup.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 26, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Angry Grimace posted:

If your garage was 51F reliably, it should have been in there the whole time. 51F is right about the right temperature to ferment a lager at. If you're looking at ambient room temperatures to ferment lager-like beers, you probably should use San Francisco Lager, aka Anchor Steam yeast.

Oh I agree, and it's completely on me for not reading things better and leaving it in the garage from the start. There weren't really any instructions provided with the kit and I ended up playing it by ear, and in the description it said the yeast was tolerant of room temperatures. It was only on a lark that I ended up checking a second time and discovering that the yeast was for lagers. Fortunately the weather looks like it's going to cooperate, at least for the next two weeks, so hopefully I'll still end up with a tasty beer. I'm not that worried. It might not have a super-clean lager taste but I'm sure it will still be nice and drinkable.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Turds in magma posted:

so... where can I buy weed-beer? How does it taste? I am 900% certain people have replaced hops with weed in their beer before... maybe even hemp would work (I have no idea how hemp buds smell...)?

I think I read an article about how that very thing was going to happen in Colorado after it was legalized there and the general consensus in this thread was it would probably produce a beer that wouldn't taste much like weed, and would be very expensive.

And I don't mean to sperg at you but can we not do this? The rare times I will read Home Brew Talk the posts chock full of acronyms I don't know utterly enrages me, let's not do it here too.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Article on weed laced homebrew AKA Brain Death from 1997

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

Sirotan posted:

And I don't mean to sperg at you but can we not do this? The rare times I will read Home Brew Talk the posts chock full of acronyms I don't know utterly enrages me, let's not do it here too.

Yes, listen to SWMBO.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My friend is a big pot head and has brewed weed beer before. He said it was gross and he's be sticking to brownies :colorado:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

That particular acronym is perfectly acceptable.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Sirotan posted:

Tough titties, RDWHAHB is the official SA homebrew acronym - and it's nothing like the HBT acronyms - it's just a reference to Papazian's famous "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew" which is way too loving long to type out.

Also, Sirotan - RDWHAHB.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
We should have a :RDWHAHB: smiley. Consisting of the acronyom flashing with sirens.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Super Rad posted:

Tough titties, RDWHAHB is the official SA homebrew acronym - and it's nothing like the HBT acronyms - it's just a reference to Papazian's famous "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew" which is way too loving long to type out.

Also, Sirotan - RDWHAHB.

It's six words, the other one looks like some letters vomited onto my screen. It doesn't make me want to relax or drink a beer.

I don't like it. :colbert:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We should have a :RDWHAHB: smiley. Consisting of the acronyom flashing with sirens.

Hey, I bought the last one, and it is just as appropriate to this thread as RDWHAHB.

:homebrew:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Sirotan posted:

It's six words, the other one looks like some letters vomited onto my screen. It doesn't make me want to relax or drink a beer.

I don't like it. :colbert:

what if we used Commas?! R,DW,HAHB :smugbert:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RagingBoner posted:

Hey, I bought the last one, and it is just as appropriate to this thread as RDWHAHB.

:homebrew:

Very true. Add a Commissar hat and it would be :40K:.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
:takeagravityreading:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Now, now, don't needle the guy. The last guy we did that to ended up pouring a perfectly good batch down the drain without even tasting it.

At least we explain acronyms rather than just saying, "Use the search, n00b!"

Sadly, Sirotan, acronyms are just part of homebrewing culture. I'm pretty sure they're just part of nerdery in general - I think every hobby has their own special set. We're not as aggressive with their use here as the HBT gang is, but it's true that RDWHAHB is rooted so deeply in homebrewing culture that it will never come out.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

U.S. Barryl posted:

...but will acetaldehyde go away with bottle conditioning or should I have done the secondary?

I think my question got lost at the end of the last page.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

U.S. Barryl posted:

It should go away with time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Relax, don't worry, dump a batch of home brew, but tell me first so I can drink your delicious sewer beer.

U.S. Barryl posted:

Acetaldehyde is usually a sign of young beer but I've had some beers get stronger over time, which I am figuring for jnfection. I have a barleywine in the closet I haven't sampled for 6 months that reeked of it after a 1 month primary so once I package it I will try to remember to update the thread on what happened.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

U.S. Barryl posted:

Alright, I'm probably worrying over nothing. I brewed the Imperial Stout from Northern Brewer here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/imperial-stout-all-grain-kit.html

My issue is that I've always heard about unnecessary secondaries and such, and pretty much all the NB kits call for it. I let this beer ferment with 2 packets of S-04 for over a month in primary, and then I bottled it. OK, here's the stupid worry. I tried one after only 7 days in the bottle, and it has a strong acetaldehyde flavor. It's like an apple Jolly Rancher, but the aftertaste is awesome. I know that a big beer like this (OG 1.090) needs to age, but will acetaldehyde go away with bottle conditioning or should I have done the secondary? Obviously, I'm going to be aging this at least until Autumn, I just had to give it a taste because I am impatient.

Pretty sure green apples are a sign of immature beer, so give it time. Especially with something that bold. Find a cold, dark place and forget about it for a few months.

As I understand it secondaries are from a bygone era when autolysis (yeast suicide) was a bigger concern due to using crappier yeast. Nowadays the quality of the yeast is such that it's not a huge concern and you might actually be better off letting the yeast cake stay with the beer so that it can continue to consume off flavors. That said racking to secondary does have benefits. It's helpful for clarifying the beer and if you need the original vessel for another brew the secondary provides a good place to bulk condition.

Basically you're fine. I have a Belgian Tripel that's also going to require a long conditioning time, and my plan is to leave it in secondary so it can bulk condition. But it really doesn't matter.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Thanks to everybody for putting my worries aside. I'm going to let them sit for at least 3 more months before I try another.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sirotan posted:

I think I read an article about how that very thing was going to happen in Colorado after it was legalized there and the general consensus in this thread was it would probably produce a beer that wouldn't taste much like weed, and would be very expensive.

That one was coined by Papazian, so I'm gonna stick with it. :colbert:

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
S-04 can be really good if fermented correctly. The trick is to observe a fermentation profile that is similar to how that yeast is supposedly used commercially. S-04 and WLP002 are both supposed to be the Fuller's strain. I start with-my wort at 64F and pitch and aerate. I then set my fridge to 68F and let it rise on its own. Two days or so later I set it back to 64. When done I cold crash then set to 50 for carb and serve. I have not had success bottle conditioning since it seems to lose some of the esters. When done this way it is really tasty, especially when you hop quite a lot with East Kent Goldings and use Maris Otter with a little bit of crystal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
BANANA WINE

I made the banana wine on Sunday/Monday. Well, since I had three cases of bananas, I also made banana chips and banana jam and banana bread etc. but the wine is really the important thing here.

Step one, cut up a bunch of bananas, sans skins (I decided the thoughts above about the pesticides on banana skins were good thoughts). This ended up being about 18 pounds or so of fruit in the pot.

Step two, add water to the top and boil for twenty minutes.

Step three, in your fermenter, add some pectic enzyme, some citric acid, and one pound of raisins (I went with the regular colored ones since they were the only ones not coated with sulphur dioxide):

Step four, strain the wash into the fermenter, ending up with however much liquid you end up with (it was a lot of bananas):

Step five, add one pot of brewed tea (for tannin):

I didn't get a photo of the next bit, which is step six, but it's important. Add 4 pounds of sugar, enough water to bring everything up to five gallons, and stir well to disolve.

Step seven is the next morning, when everything is cooled to room temperature. Place about a 1/3 cup of distiller's yeast in a measuring cup and rehydrate with warm water:

After a few minutes it will look like this:

Aerate your wash very well, pitch the yeast, and wait. After 12 hours, the bubbles will be coming out of the airlock at a rate of roughly 10 a second and your plastic fermenter will be bowed out and in danger of exploding.

As of this writing, it's still doing that. I'm going to let it continue in primary until after Easter sometime, then rack to a secondary for a couple of months, then bottle and age. I will update when things happen.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

So, you were basically working with banana slime at the end? Any issues with the viscosity of the solution?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No, you strain out all of the banana. It looks all milky and cloudy, sure, but the viscosity is actually less than your average wort, I'd say. Quite thin (and very tasty!)

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Although that is something I would not think to do myself, I'm glad you did it and posted the pics. Keep us posted on how it all comes out.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Maybe I missed this from when you were talking about this earlier, but why use distillers yeast?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Because it's all I had, other than bread yeast.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

It's been ages, thread. It's been ages, fermenters, buckets and stockpot. It's been too long, hops in my freezer.

It's all been for a good cause though (I am brewing part-time at a very small east London brewery, which is nice) but I am craving my own creativity.

I still don't have a mash tun, which I hope to get on as soon as I get my hands on some money. Before then, though, it's time for an extract with specialty grains APA/IPA. Classic American stuff. The kind that's hard to get/expensive in the UK.

So, I'm asking for critiques/recommendations about http://hopville.com/recipe/1689922 . I'd like it to be a hoppy, refreshing American zinger for when spring finally gets here. My biggest questions, going by the crystal discussion earlier, are my percentages of crystal and carapils currently in the recipe, as well as the hop schedule.

What I'm looking for is that classic American explodes-out-of-the-bottle-with-pine-resin-and-CCC-hoppiness thing. You know what I mean. Should I amp up the post-boil addition? Should I do more dry hopping?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
So with Extract beer-ing. Do you still need to have 5 gallons in one place all at once? Or can you do your extracts and bonus grain steeping, And then combine with the rest of your water and be on your way?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Marshmallow Blue posted:

So with Extract beer-ing. Do you still need to have 5 gallons in one place all at once? Or can you do your extracts and bonus grain steeping, And then combine with the rest of your water and be on your way?

The second one. I've seen it done with 2 gallons.

It seems better that way because you can add cold cold refrigerated water to the hot hot wort to get it cooler fastest.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Marshmallow Blue posted:

You can do it with only boiling 2-3 gallons then topping off with 2-3 gallons of tap water in the fermenter. Make sure to experiment a little with Beersmith (or whatever) to see what affect this has on IBUs and color though. A recipe that is intended to be a full boil won't come out the same if you only do a partial boil (and vice versa).

You can do a late extract addition to mitigate this a little by basically boiling with only the amount of extract required to get the boil volume to around the target OG, then adding the rest of the extract for just the last 15 minutes or so of the boil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Mainly asking this because I have some plans. But don't own a pot that holds 5 gals of water.