Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

tinstaach posted:

The 2013 award for Saltiest Tears of the Year goes to Dennis Latta, a reporter who followed the University of New Mexico Lobos and is quitting his job because they lost to Harvard.

http://deadspin.com/a-new-mexico-beat-writer-actually-quit-his-job-because-458421252

http://newmexico.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1486756
This is the face of the man who let loose with that pile of tears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I hope that Piniella has to go to a session where a sensitivity trainer screams at him two inches from his face about learning to use more appropriate words and then kicks dirt at him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I hope that Piniella has to go to a session where a sensitivity trainer screams at him two inches from his face about learning to use more appropriate words and then kicks dirt at him.
That would probably just make him aroused.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Nothing beats a good hoodwinking.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Do you even get paid to write for Rivals? Is that guy giving up anything besides a press credential?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Do you even get paid to write for Rivals? Is that guy giving up anything besides a press credential?

Most of Rivals is paid content behind a subscription service so I hope people get paid, but who knows in this brave new world.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
You know how the MLB hive mind occasionally jokes about Fangraphs or Dave Cameron ADDING UP THE WARS as the symbol of terrible baseball analysis? Here's a new Dave Cameron Fangraphs article where he literally adds up the fWARs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Those projections are hilariously optimistic.

Aaron Cook being a positive asset in the year 2013 amongst other things.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Harlock posted:

Those projections are hilariously optimistic.

Aaron Cook being a positive asset in the year 2013 amongst other things.

He has literally not been a positive asset (via bWAR) since 2010 only 0.2. Why in the fresh hell does Cameron think he'll post an ERA below 5.00 for the first time since 2009, with probably Demon Dogg, Michael Young, and Ryan Howard all playing defense him?

e: And Lannan with 1+ WAR also for the first time since 2009? lmao

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

just read it

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201304/buzz-bissinger-shopaholic-gucci-addiction?currentPage=1

then look at this gallery

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/11/07/buzzs-outfits/#photo-1

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Buzz posted:

but Gucci men's clothing best represents who I want to be and have become—rocker, edgy, tight, bad boy, hip, stylish, flamboyant, unafraid, raging against the conformity that submerges us into boredom and blandness and the sexless saggy sackcloths that most men walk around in like zombies without the cinematic excitement of engorging flesh.
Probably the most poetic and saddest way to say you're going through a midlife crisis.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

How many athletes has he ripped because they were stupid with their money?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

How many athletes has he ripped because they were stupid with their money?

He's an author, so, guessing zero? Unless I missed something.

That article is amazing, though.

I hadn't seen the gallery, though. Wow.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 26, 2013

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
41 PAIRS OF LEATHER PANTS

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Deathlove posted:

He's an author, so, guessing zero? Unless I missed something

Twitter, talk radio, Internet, whatever.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Deathlove posted:

I hadn't seen the gallery, though. Wow.

I'm at work so I stopped at the one of him laying back in the chair in a banana hammock. I feel like that would be tough to beat anyway.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That Bissinger article seems like the most outstanding subtle trolling job I've seen in many a moon.

That said, I could have done without seeing him in a bikini bottom.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

Twitter, talk radio, Internet, whatever.

Oh, poo poo, I misread, I thought you wrote ripped off, and I thought you thought he was an agent. I'm dumb.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

That Bissinger article seems like the most outstanding subtle trolling job I've seen in many a moon.

I have to think this. I mean, not in a, "Haha, this is so ridiculous that it has to be a joke," way, it has to be a joke. If it's not, Jesus. I'd almost respect him more if he was alcoholic.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

jeffersonlives posted:

You know how the MLB hive mind occasionally jokes about Fangraphs or Dave Cameron ADDING UP THE WARS as the symbol of terrible baseball analysis? Here's a new Dave Cameron Fangraphs article where he literally adds up the fWARs.

Everyone should read this as a lesson in what not to do.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

41 PAIRS OF LEATHER PANTS

Really, there's no difference between 41 pairs of leather pants and 2 pairs of leather pants. One pair? Maybe that's a joke. Two or more is a rotation and anything else is just variations on a theme

You know what would've improved The Great Gatsby though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I guess there's something to be said for Buzz's honesty, though that's never been his problem.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I have to think this. I mean, not in a, "Haha, this is so ridiculous that it has to be a joke," way, it has to be a joke. If it's not, Jesus. I'd almost respect him more if he was alcoholic.
What does a disease millions of Americans struggle with have to do with respect? Let alone among sports journalists.

Buzz is weird in that he can write pretty well at times but often deploys his resources in doing so...questionably. Yeah. Let's be generous and go with that.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Declan MacManus posted:

You know what would've improved The Great Gatsby though

Anything. What trash.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Headbanger's Gallstones
This is Final Nap
Plugs 'n' Nose Hairs
Writesnack
Oldd
Dad Company
Pörtly Chëw
Alice N' Chins

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Prisoner posted:

What does a disease millions of Americans struggle with have to do with respect?

I meant that the format of the article was an admission regarding his borderline obsessive "problem" with buying expensive clothes, he uses the language of addiction. So my joke, funny or not, was that badass, tell it like it is, profane author Buzz Bissinger is addicted to... clothes. There's a long literary history of tough guy authors being drunks or junkies, but not fashionistas.

I do not respect people for being alcoholics nor for compulsive clothes buying. Jesus gently caress.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lost in his admission to being addicted to clothes, elsewhere in that article:

quote:

I began to wonder about sex and sexuality and where exactly I fit in in the complex spectrum. I did go into the sexual unknown, and the clothing I began to wear routinely gave me the confidence to do it, to transcend the rigid definitions of sexuality and gender, just as I also know there were the requisite stereotypical snickers.

Was I homosexual because so much of what I wore is associated with gays? I did experiment. And while I don't think it is my sexual being, I can tell you that gay men as a group are nicer, smarter, have a shitload more fun than straight whites. Was I veering toward becoming a dominant leather master in the S&M scene, the leather fetish an obvious influence in most of the clothing I purchased and in much of high fashion itself? I did experiment. Was I a closeted or maybe not so closeted transvestite? Tom Ford makeup is divine; the right foundation and cheek blush and eyeliner and lipstick can do wonders for the pallid complexion.

Remember: These words were written by Buzz Bissinger.

Also, I failed to notice this the first time but for some reason I decided to look at that cbsphilly gallery again and apparently his nipples are pierced.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 26, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Some people are trying to claim this is an April Fool's joke, but it would actually be harder to explain if it was.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
e: wrong thread I just realized. drat now I don't have a good segue

uublog fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 26, 2013

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
:stare:

Well then, that's certainly something.

There is no segue possible for this, uublog. None at all.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

That article rules, Bissinger is a cool dude for writing his experiences.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I still think we are all being trolled.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
This whole time I thought Bissinger was a grouchy, self-important shithead, but it turns out he's actually a grouchy, self-important shithead who wears women's clothes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Elotana posted:

This whole time I thought Bissinger was a grouchy, self-important shithead, but it turns out he's actually a grouchy, self-important shithead who wears women's clothes.

And who is a sex tourist.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I still can't believe this poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

If this is an April Fool's joke, it's one hell of a setup. He's been observed dressing in this style and has taken pictorials at least dating back to May 2012.

He's a weird guy but poo poo that's his right I guess?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Buzz enters the Gucci store on fifth avenue, eyes the Castor Troy collection.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I came here to post that. Is this an elaborate troll?!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

I came here to post that. Is this an elaborate troll?!
I don't know. I thought so at first, but then I saw the photo gallery. A 58-year-old man piercing his own nipples is a hell of a long way to go for a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
GQ's articles editor tweeted earlier this afternoon:

@Devingo913 posted:

Blanket tweet, since this is coming up a lot: No, this story is not an early April Fools joke.

So, uh, combined with Buzz's own usual sense of self-importance and the fact he pierced his nipples and all kinds of stuff I'm going with no.