Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A bloody shame. I really wanted something that would let us play games from other regions since EU publishers seem to be allergic to anything interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

From Natsume's Twitter: "Harvest Moon GBC will be hitting the EU 3DS eShop on March 28th! US fans will be seeing the game in late April."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Is the new Etrian Odyssey actually playable in the sense that I won't spiral into an endless "gently caress you" of grinding for like 10 hours in the second floor of a stratum? I liked 2 and 3 lots up until I hit the brick wall of not being able to kill anything and getting destroyed on the second floors of their dungeons. I loved the game design and playing them but always hated how you run into a quagmire of bullshit in those games.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

MinibarMatchman posted:

Is the new Etrian Odyssey actually playable in the sense that I won't spiral into an endless "gently caress you" of grinding for like 10 hours in the second floor of a stratum? I liked 2 and 3 lots up until I hit the brick wall of not being able to kill anything and getting destroyed on the second floors of their dungeons. I loved the game design and playing them but always hated how you run into a quagmire of bullshit in those games.

If you have problems with the second floor of EO games, I don't think the series is for you.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

If you have problems with the second floor of EO games, I don't think the series is for you.

Yeah, you're right, gently caress me for having a question about if the new game is more accessible. That's literally all I wanted to know without a dick response like this.

vvvv Thank you.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 26, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, you're right, gently caress me for having a question about if the new game is more accessible. That's literally all I wanted to know without a dick response like this.

The new game has a casual 'easy mode' designed for easier play with less grinding.

EO's a lot about team comp and knowing how to deal with things instead of pure stats. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the EO thread and ask for some starting tips to avoid getting into that situation.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

MinibarMatchman posted:

vvvv Thank you.

I interpreted the question as whether or not people would recommend EO4 to you. So I gave my answer on the basis of the information you provided in the rest of the post.

If you just want to know if EO4 is more accessible, then yes, it's the easiest EO to date, and probably the one with the best learning curve.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

A bloody shame. I really wanted something that would let us play games from other regions since EU publishers seem to be allergic to anything interesting.

The region lock is built into the Home menu itself. They got around it by changing the region on the games, probably which means they had a bit more than an exploit. Nintendo lucked out that the people who found it are against piracy.

They still have access to the older firmware, but they never planned on releasing the exploit. You can see their progress at 3dbrew.org.

Those two were the ones who hacked the DSi through similar savegame exploits and that was patched out a day later. I found out today that the DSi mode flashcarts used it as well in some strange way and as soon as the patch came out the flashcart companies vanished.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Finally completed SM3DL 100%. I thought that was it when I finished all the special stages but boy howdy I was wrong.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The new game has a casual 'easy mode' designed for easier play with less grinding.

EO's a lot about team comp and knowing how to deal with things instead of pure stats. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the EO thread and ask for some starting tips to avoid getting into that situation.

Casual also sends you back to town when your party gets wiped out instead of a Game Over.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Did this update break dstwo and other flashcards this time?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

Did this update break dstwo and other flashcards this time?

This update actually had a purpose so they didn't block the major ones. There are reports of a couple R4i Gold carts not working but the DSTwo (the current popular/good one) is just fine.

E: Some European posters are crying over at GBATemp because they have to update to play the Fire Emblem demo denying them :filez: if something comes of that exploit.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

All of the games are grindy but you really need to have the right party before you venture into the dungeon. Without the right party balance, you won't be able to get far into the game. In the third game for example, my early game party had a Prince for buffing, a Hoplite for defense, a Gladiator for physical offense, a Monk for healing, and a Zodiac for magic offense, and that carried me through most of the game, but once you get to subclassing, at least one of that party ends up irrelevant, if not two members. So it's a fluid situation. I had two separate parties, one for combat and one for farming.

There's also ways to get better fast, the third game's sea quests in the early part of the game gets you a lot of good exp, cash and items without having to do a whole ton of work. Also those puffball monsters that run away after one turn can give you a lot of gold/exp once you can beat em.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone know what this new system update adds? Mine failed on the first try - giving it another go now. Still waiting for more awesome stuff to be added to the shop. Come on Nintendo just add GBA catalogue already...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Laser Spider posted:

A couple of months ago there was a small group of hackers that found a vulnerability in one game (which they kept secret for fear of Nintendo discovering it) that allowed them to run their own code. I guess they never got very far with it.

That's how every exploit to install the Homebrew Channel on the Wii worked, other than the late, lamented Bannerbomb.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

BadAstronaut posted:

Anyone know what this new system update adds? Mine failed on the first try - giving it another go now. Still waiting for more awesome stuff to be added to the shop. Come on Nintendo just add GBA catalogue already...

I really want to throw money at them if they'd just release the Metroid GBA games.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

AlexMoron posted:

Attention all of you who are having problems with the latest update! After some intense searching for my girlfriend who had this problem, I found the solution!

Press and hold L+R+Up+A while powering on the system. It'll take you straight to System Update.
Know I'm late to the party but thanks for this; my system had started being stupid after the update but now it seems happy again :D!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Shigesato Itoi (Creator of the MOTHER Series) just released his official Mii for the 3DS

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Okay, so this is the third time my 3DS has glitched and straight up crashed. And it did it immediately afterwards when I tried to turn it back on. I'm going to let it charge and see if it does it again, in which case I am probably hosed. It might have something to do with it being low on battery and charging, though? I'm trying to remember whether or not it was charging the other two times it crashed, and it might have been.

I just hope my 3DS isn't broken because I just got Luigi's Mansion :ohdear:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I sent Miyamoto to the Mii Maker and now he's gone from Mii Plaza. Is there any way to get him back, or am I forever Miyamotoless?? :(

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

I sent Miyamoto to the Mii Maker and now he's gone from Mii Plaza. Is there any way to get him back, or am I forever Miyamotoless?? :(

You lost him forever unless, by some miracle, you streetpass/spotpass him again. :(

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SgtKirby posted:

You lost him forever unless, by some miracle, you streetpass/spotpass him again. :(

The woooorrrrrrrrst! :(

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Quest For Glory II posted:

All of the games are grindy

Perhaps, but EO4 only gets to that point in the very end of the main quest. You're not going to burn through a stratum on your first try, but neither are you going to have to walk around in circles for an hour farming random encounters. It's a game of very careful, very measured forward progress.

Like you said, party composition is really the most important thing in EO. If you ever find yourself grinding up levels in EO4, it probably means you're trying to brute force a strategy that just doesn't work.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

It moves things around for transferring cartridge saves to downloaded games and updated the browser some. There's also a ton of reports that several games with slowdown issues are suddenly running at full speed, but it could be confirmation bias.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Saoshyant posted:

From Natsume's Twitter: "Harvest Moon GBC will be hitting the EU 3DS eShop on March 28th! US fans will be seeing the game in late April."

How is the GBC game? My experience with the series is pretty much the N64 game (which I liked well enough), FoMT (Which I loving adored), and one of the Rune Factory games (which I hated); This sort of leads me to believe that I like when the games are relatively simple, which I assume this is since it's much older than most of those.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Countblanc posted:

How is the GBC game? My experience with the series is pretty much the N64 game (which I liked well enough), FoMT (Which I loving adored), and one of the Rune Factory games (which I hated); This sort of leads me to believe that I like when the games are relatively simple, which I assume this is since it's much older than most of those.

If it's the first GBC game it's a kind of dodgy port of the SNES game (no marriage). HM GBC 2 wasn't too bad, but 3 was really cool. You had irrigation! And rice paddys! Also you chose your gender, the other one becomes your farm partner and eventual life partner if you wanted. There was also six pets with various abilities (a pig that would bring you money, dog fights off wild dogs, etc) and a bunch of other cool stuff. It was pretty deep for a GBC game.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
People are mentioning that Miyamoto has "every puzzle piece". What does that mean and how do I get them?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

noirstronaut posted:

People are mentioning that Miyamoto has "every puzzle piece". What does that mean and how do I get them?

You get him via SpotPass, and you are guaranteed at least one puzzle piece for Puzzle Swap (provided you don't already have them all at this point).

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Mercury Crusader posted:

You get him via SpotPass, and you are guaranteed at least one puzzle piece for Puzzle Swap (provided you don't already have them all at this point).

I just got back from PAX so I had every puzzle completed, but then today of course I get a new puzzle piece, a new Luigi's Mansion Puzzle is out. I don't believe anyone could have really gotten every piece of that already unless you have a shitton of friends that all had the Miyamoto Mii give them different pink pieces and you had a ridiculous amount of coins saved. :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

KGBAgent185 posted:

I just got back from PAX so I had every puzzle completed, but then today of course I get a new puzzle piece, a new Luigi's Mansion Puzzle is out. I don't believe anyone could have really gotten every piece of that already unless you have a shitton of friends that all had the Miyamoto Mii give them different pink pieces and you had a ridiculous amount of coins saved. :v:

I just assume there's somebody out there really dedicated to Puzzle Swap and already has all the puzzles completed, including that new Luigi's Mansion one.

Meanwhile, every time I get a StreetPass, the freeloader doesn't have any new puzzle pieces, and spending coins keeps giving me repeats. I have about three puzzles that are one piece away from completion. :(

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

KGBAgent185 posted:

This guy managed to do it. I imagine since the puzzle was released halfway through PAX he had a 3DS and charger on him at all times at the convention center to catch every last elusive pink puzzle piece.

I like how the puzzles have been getting more elaborate in presentation over the past few years.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I still have a bunch of older puzzles missing 1-4 pieces each :negative: it sucks because anyone with the final pieces I need also have a pink piece I don't have, which I always take when available.

gently caress you Mario 3D Land puzzle

Risky
May 18, 2003

Look what I found at the Walmart by my campus after class!

The customer service manager let me price match them both so I picked them both up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Risky posted:

Look what I found at the Walmart by my campus after class!

The customer service manager let me price match them both so I picked them both up.

Are you going to eBay them now or let the prices rise for a bit?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I really wish they made a Pikachu XL that had a black interior and flipped the Pikachu image.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just now got a 3DS, is there a place for official Mii qr codes?

Why can't I download that Zero game?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Does anyone know when the Fire Emblem: Awakening demo comes out on the online store in the UK? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Sorry in advance if it is posted somewhere obvious.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Pretty sure our eShop updates on Thursday. So midnight tonight probably.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It's coming Thursday, as was posted the in eShop thread (that's your "somewhere obvious") and announced on Nintendo's twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky
May 18, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Are you going to eBay them now or let the prices rise for a bit?

Neither, I wanted one for myself and one for my gf.

I missed out on the first day sale of these at targets because of my school schedule :(

• Locked thread