Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
A quick update: Golden Sky Stories is getting closer, and we're hoping to do the Kickstarter in early April.

I'm not at liberty to talk specifics, but I have the happy problem that stuff I'd like to license keeps getting licensed by other people. There's a store called Role&Roll Station (related to Role&Roll magazine), and they run a blog where they post about pretty much every product that comes into the store. And unrelated to anything, they have a book on how to play Dominion with the most :3: cover:

I also came across Elysion a "Love and Adventure School RPG." I need to sit down and read more of the website and maybe order the book, but I really like the look and feel of it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!
And unrelated to anything, they have a book on how to play Dominion with the most :3: cover:

I saw this book! It's actually a really thick strategy guide on the game, basically detailing strategies to use for dominion for various card and set combos. Really thick, really detailed. It really is a "maniac" book.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Meikyuu t/l status has stalled again for several months (all the TL crew has disappeared, or can no longer commit to the project). I have a line on a JP-EN interpreter that's looking for freelance work with a bunch of experience which will require cash money, but thus far he hasn't responded specifically to the inquiry yet. Anybody have any lines on a cheap translation/transcription service that isn't basically Google Translate?

To be clear, I don't have any intentions of taking the translation to public/commercial release yet. I'm looking to get a raw translated copy for editing and then we can see where we stand. Considering APS is still non-responsive (as far as I understand it from Mikan), it would be irresponsible/illegal to take a translation to market. I just want a playable English version of the game, already!

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Unfortunately I can't help with the actual translation--I have too little free time as is--but I could see about putting you in touch with Matt Sanchez, who in turn has good relations with APS. He's the one who's releasing Shinobigami in English, plus he's actually visited their offices and such. I'm pretty sure I told *someone* as much in an email a while back.

I got my copy of the aforementioned Elysion game by the way, and I'm really liking it so far. It has a suitably zany anime type premise, and it has Kawashima (the main designer at APS) showing off the best of what he's learned from making games like Meikyuu Kingdom and Shinobigami. I'm planning to put together a thorough writeup at some point.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ewen Cluney posted:

I'm pretty sure I told *someone* as much in an email a while back.

That was me. I've actually been in touch with Matt, who set me up with APS. I just never heard anything back from APS in my attempts to get in contact with them and moved on since I am doing about a billion other things these days.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
For the record, is there any commercial Meikyuu translation project going on right now?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Not that I'm aware of. The goon project went the way of all goon projects and nobody else I've talked to is working on it.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
If that fell through then it's still at the top of the list of games we want to pursue for Star Line Publishing's next project, though I won't seriously get into anything like that until Golden Sky Stories is out the door.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think about working on it sometimes, then I remember that I should be using that time to find me a job instead. :shrug:

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

Mikan posted:

Not that I'm aware of. The goon project went the way of all goon projects and nobody else I've talked to is working on it.

Aww that's a shame. But it seems like a pretty intricate thing to translate in a fashion that'd be just as playable (with the cards and such).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Say I want to get my hands on an original copy. Is Amazon Japan going to be my best bet? Are there digital options?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Desty posted:

Say I want to get my hands on an original copy. Is Amazon Japan going to be my best bet? Are there digital options?

As far as I know, Amazon Japan is not a bet at all - they don't ship it off of the island.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Desty posted:

How soon do you want a copy? I'm going to Japan again at the end of next month.

Thanks to Andy/DiamondSutra, I have another gaming shop to check out; might post some photos when I find it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm in talks with someone who's contacted me privately about the matter of Meikyuu Kingdom translation, so we'll see how it goes.

Ewen, if I could humbly request for an introduction to Matt Sanchez, that'd be great so that I can get the ball rolling on that whole thing.

If the guy who contacted me that was interested in the project falls through (no big deal guy, "goon project"), then I'll be pursuing other professional channels to get it done. A rough scoping of the work from the ground up includes a full translation of one book, editing of another, and then translation of the intro scenarios, errata, and additional rules, something like 300 or so pages of work to grind through. A very rough price estimate would place all that work between 300 to 3000 dollars for professional translation from a local agent in the SF Bay Area. That'd take a few months to save up enough lunch money and the like to get that done, but at least I have a path forward!

As far as people other than Ewen (or I guess me?) lining up to bat to try a commercial release at the game, well, fuckin' get on it!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Desty posted:

I just did a little poking around on Amazon Jpn and you can have orders delivered to Lawson/Family Marts (convenience stores basically). I'm stationed on Okinawa and would be willing to buy copies of anything (I'm interested in owning a copy of MK for no good reason) and pick them up, then mail them out when I get back to America in April. Someone would just have to help me place the order because I know no Japanese. Although Cheap Trick might be the easier method.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Rakuten's global service offers international shipping, but I haven't used their service, and these are marked "re-arrival reservation", whatever that means. Both books are usually in stock at Yellow Submarine's brick and mortar places.

Here are the links if you want to look into it further:

Kingdom book:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/yellowsubmarine/item/21877433/

Dungeon book:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/yellowsubmarine/item/25612650/

I think both are worth it for the art alone.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

jigokuman posted:

Rakuten's global service offers international shipping, but I haven't used their service, and these are marked "re-arrival reservation", whatever that means.

It means it's currently out of stock, and you're placing dibs on the restock.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I'm never going to get a translated version of Meikyu Kingdom, am I? :(

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Well, Ewen said that once he's done with GSS, it's something he might go after if no one else already is.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Desty posted:

The core books I scanned are still up on Dropbox, if you're looking to try it yourself.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Speaking of GSS (segue city!) we just put up a free PDF demo for Tabletop Day. It's a simplified version of the game (and has a simpler layout, since our main layout guy is feverishly working on Channel A cards), but hopefully conveys the game's appeal.

aldantefax posted:

I'm in talks with someone who's contacted me privately about the matter of Meikyuu Kingdom translation, so we'll see how it goes.

Ewen, if I could humbly request for an introduction to Matt Sanchez, that'd be great so that I can get the ball rolling on that whole thing.

If the guy who contacted me that was interested in the project falls through (no big deal guy, "goon project"), then I'll be pursuing other professional channels to get it done. A rough scoping of the work from the ground up includes a full translation of one book, editing of another, and then translation of the intro scenarios, errata, and additional rules, something like 300 or so pages of work to grind through. A very rough price estimate would place all that work between 300 to 3000 dollars for professional translation from a local agent in the SF Bay Area. That'd take a few months to save up enough lunch money and the like to get that done, but at least I have a path forward!

As far as people other than Ewen (or I guess me?) lining up to bat to try a commercial release at the game, well, fuckin' get on it!
Hokay, email me at my first name AT neko-machi.com and we'll see what we can work out. If you need it I know some people who can help with editing and layout and such too.

There's certainly no shortage of Japanese TRPGs worth translating, though as I said before I'm having the happy problem of games I'm interested getting picked up.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Noice. Email sent, thanks buddy!

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ewen Cluney posted:

Speaking of GSS (segue city!) we just put up a free PDF demo for Tabletop Day.

If anyone wants to play this, I'm going to run it in about thirty minutes either on IRC or through Google Hangout and I still need players.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Bitchtits McGee posted:

The core books I scanned are still up on Dropbox, if you're looking to try it yourself.

I might be terminally stupid, but I can't find a link in the thread. Could you post it or PM it to me?

At the very least, I know a translator friend of mine who's out of work at the moment. I figure it's worth it to see how many decades of buying their drinks this would take.

Unrelated to Meikyuu, are we gonna see a transcript from today's GSS thingy?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Yeah, once I've had a chance to eat dinner and relax a bit I'm going to clean up the IRC log and put it on my site.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Desty posted:

I might be terminally stupid, but I can't find a link in the thread. Could you post it or PM it to me?

At the very least, I know a translator friend of mine who's out of work at the moment. I figure it's worth it to see how many decades of buying their drinks this would take.

I can get you set up if someone hasn't yet. Can you have your translator friend email me at btcostales at gmail regarding the Meikyuu project?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Yo, can I ask Andy/Ewen/Mikan to get at me via email or IRC? I believe I have the info for Ewen and Mikan, but I wanted to pick brains about Kickstarter, translation, and scoping work for Meikyuu Kingdom, since we're heading for the negotiation table.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Heads up for quirky Japanese TRPG lovers: Andy Kitkowski has procured a bunch of copies of Phantom Thief a game where you play a magical girl thief, draw out your character (both in and out of costume) on a pair of grids and roll on them for conflict resolution. It sounds pretty amazing. Here's his G+ post about it if you're interested.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Potsticker posted:

Heads up for quirky Japanese TRPG lovers: Andy Kitkowski has procured a bunch of copies of Phantom Thief a game where you play a magical girl thief, draw out your character (both in and out of costume) on a pair of grids and roll on them for conflict resolution. It sounds pretty amazing. Here's his G+ post about it if you're interested.

Sounds like a direct nab of Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, aka Phantom Thief Jeanne.

Not a bad thing, just amusing to see it be so transparent.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The author's other game appears to be The Brave Little Toaster Ricecooker.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

And the Golden Sky Stories Kickstarter is a gooooo! Good luck, Ewen!

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
It's almost halfway after two hours. Hope you have more stretch goals planned Ewen!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I wonder if I can just throw money at him on Sunday when I meet up with him?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've been waiting to throw money at you for this for a while now Ewen. Although now I'm stuck deciding between tiers...

I'll throw in at 25 now and we'll see in a few weeks.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Aww, I was all set up to be the pledge that broke $7000, but someone beat me to it. :(

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I've put my money down for a copy, although with the USPS price hike on international shipping, I may drop down to the digital tier.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This will be a gateway drug for my 8 year old niece that adores Studio Ghibli...

jadarx
May 25, 2012
I hope one of the stretch goals is the mini-expansion that lets you play ghosts, oni or aliens.

Edit: Oh, I think the $14,000 is it :3:

jadarx fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 19, 2013

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Man, this is the first time in a while I've been really excited to throw money at a Kickstarter. Gonna be real happy to get that print copy in my hands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Congratulations on getting funded, Ewen. I'm going to chip in once I get off work.

First post's been updated with the Kickstarter link.

• Locked thread