Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Hmm, not a terrible torque curve. Much better than I expected, I guess the last one I had experience with was on a B16. It felt like a 2-stroke dirtbike, with like 50 horsepower coming on in the space of 400 rpm or so at the top of the rev range.

A turbo would still be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fag magnet posted:

well, we're discussing how great the gt86 is here, and it has a very traditional single control-armed front mcpherson strut (with some weird packaging issues due to the placement of the FA). 10 years ago, that was seen as a strictly inferior design..

Said who tho? Frankly only dickheads with their heads up their rear end who worshipped double wishbone without understanding suspension principles, the good old fashioned McPherson strut is more than good - and in some areas even better.

Much like dickheads who worship multicam without understanding why OHV V8's are actually in no way either ancient techology or cant beat the poo poo out of multicam engines. McPherson struts work and indeed can be better.

quote:

i'm not sure what a "designed road set" is, but pushing a design out of its operating parameters is always going to produce unpredictable results. my point is that the operating envelopes of suspension designs have been increasing at a rather shocking rate in the last 10 years due to the advent of high precision whole-car (or nearly whole-car) computer simulation.

No, not really. Car companies use computer modelling to get "close" - protypes still cop every bit of a pounding in the real world as no computer can give you the wealth of random data a good test driver can. The envelopes are not progressing - in fact suspension engineering is being replaced at a rapid rate with concealing electronics, a very backward move esp in light that cars with engineering rather than electronics are clearly better.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

It's a much more affordable option in the UK. Heck, even in the US, you can find sub-30k Caymans. But of course with potentially expensive motor issues.

I'm not sure how much more affordable a used cayman would be in the long run? Barring the IMS failures maintenance is going to be a fair bit more costly i'd assume, wear and tear bits also.

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000

anime and cars posted:

I'm not sure how much more affordable a used cayman would be in the long run? Barring the IMS failures maintenance is going to be a fair bit more costly i'd assume, wear and tear bits also.
..and um, insurance? People who dismiss really good economical cars because INSERT USED EXOTIC would be better for the same purchase price are about 80% trust fund babies and 20% auto "journalists" who just want to say something controversial.

To be fair, I've done this to my older brother before out of pure frustration, because I want him to stop pestering me about new cars long enough for me to get some work done :D

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm not even sure that insurance will be more on another sports car vs the 86. We'll see what the accident rate on one of the most boy racer cars in a long time will be.

anime and cars posted:

The Cayman will definitely be more in the long run, even assuming you get one of the 95% whose motor won't blow up. But it will drive a bit better and have more power. So it's a decision about what you're willing to pay for. The equation looks better in England, where Harris made the suggestion, cuz you can find used Caymans cheaper than the new 86, which is not the quite case in the US yet.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not even sure that insurance will be more on another sports car vs the 86. We'll see what the accident rate on one of the most boy racer cars in a long time will be.

The Cayman will definitely be more in the long run, even assuming you get one of the 95% whose motor won't blow up. But it will drive a bit better and have more power. So it's a decision about what you're willing to pay for. The equation looks better in England, where Harris made the suggestion, cuz you can find used Caymans cheaper than the new 86, which is not the quite case in the US yet.

I doubt the insurance is that bad at the moment here, unless it turns out to be another S2000/mr2 which both tend to be pretty drat expensive to insure due to their supposed 'tricky' on limit handling.

I was in the market for a used cayman/elise/s2000 a year or so ago and then I lost my job but I was veering heavily towards the S2000 because I was doing a shitload of miles at the time. Then I just ended up buying another mr2 and got another job where I dont drive at all, still every time I see a GT86 on the road I kinda want one.

After sitting in one at goodwood and then blagging a short testdrive at the local dealership I realised that it would be dumb to buy a brand new car just for it to sit unused most of the time and that it would be better to plough money into an almost 20 year old car instead :downs:

Maybe in a few years when there are a nice selection of used ones about I guess.

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

parts costs of the cayman are an order of magnitude higher. unless literally every single 86 blows up the second it leaves the lot, the porsche will still end up costing more to insure. although, i do agree that the insurance rates on the 86 are about to go through the roof (they are currently pretty reasonable, for those who are wondering, but are going up every month or so)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fag magnet posted:

i do agree that the insurance rates on the 86 are about to go through the roof (they are currently pretty reasonable, for those who are wondering, but are going up every month or so)

Given that insurance costs also vary widely based on the age of the driver and local theft rates, isn't it a bit premature to make this call?

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

Given that insurance costs also vary widely based on the age of the driver and local theft rates, isn't it a bit premature to make this call?
I talked more generally with my insurance agent about this car in particular, and that was his opinion. He closed off with "just avoid the Subarus, please".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anecdotally: I ran an insurance quote for a BRZ, and it's about 20% more expensive than what I pay for my FR-S. Additionally, the ft86club people are mentioning that their rates are getting increased.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fag magnet posted:

I talked more generally with my insurance agent about this car in particular, and that was his opinion. He closed off with "just avoid the Subarus, please".

Ok, thanks for that.

Why would the Subarus be more expensive than the Scions?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Ok, thanks for that.

Because Subaru drivers are all either professional rally drivers who wrap their cars around trees, or octogenarians who park inside the old country buffet. Scion drivers are middle aged housewives who bought it cause it looks like a box!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Ok, thanks for that.

My guess would be that, from an insurance company's perspective, Subaru owners are statistically more likely to get in accidents.

I don't know what sort of conclusions can be drawn from that.

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000
sorry, to clarify, the rates via this particular insurer were identical between the scion and subaru, by "avoid the subarus" he meant both cars, as well as the wrx. and yes, the insurers who are quicker to raise their rates right now are factoring in the statistical likelihood of "a subaru owner" in general of getting into an injury accident, which is severely tainted by the sti and wrx accident records. i wouldn't be surprised if this car caused basically the same thing to happen to all scion owners.

regardless, expect to find many of these wrapped around trees over the next few years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah, Scion owners seem pretty hilariously bad on their own. The xB not so much, but look at the accident rates and average payouts for the tC - they're dramatically worse than any similar car.

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000
I did not know this. That's exceedingly hilarious considering that the tC is just a bored out 2-door Corolla with a sunroof (and somehow feels even more boring than it sounds).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Playing the ol' anecdote card, a 2008 Cayman S is $100/6mon cheaper to insure than the FR-S for me. 29m, using it as a commuter for only 7k a year, with default coverages.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fag magnet posted:

I did not know this. That's exceedingly hilarious considering that the tC is just a bored out 2-door Corolla with a sunroof (and somehow feels even more boring than it sounds).

The Lancer is maybe the worst car I know of (anecdotally, I don't have local statistics) for insurance at the moment. It appeals to a terrible risk group, is fragile and is expensive to repair when it does break. I was told a few days ago that a friend of a friend managed to rack up a $15k repair bill on his $17k Lancer in a low speed collision that just tore the bodywork.

If you look on the modern Lancer forums you can see a lot of people complaining that they pay way more in insurance for their naturally aspirated four door tupperware car than your average Mustang.

I don't think anyone was really surprised that insurance rates for the BRZ/FRS would go up this year, were they? I've already seen a few high profile accidents on youtube.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 29, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Playing the ol' anecdote card, a 2008 Cayman S is $100/6mon cheaper to insure than the FR-S for me. 29m, using it as a commuter for only 7k a year, with default coverages.
For the same coverages as I have now on the FR-S, the Cayman S would be $70/6mo more. Insurance is weird.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Well this is interesting.

Pic of the glowing badge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

silver only, how exciting toyota.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

anime and cars posted:

Take it me - having done >30 track days with a stock 2006 CS, it's actually been pretty good maintenance-wise. Now of course you're going to go through tires and pads like nobody's business if you drive it hard, but that's part of the cost of doing business.

The key is to have a good independent shop that won't kill you on labor and will substitute non-branded parts to the extent that makes sense (e.g. cheap $70 rotors that work as well as OEM and also don't crack)

Yes, in the long run you'll pay more but I question whether it's really that much more.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Car design 2013: Make my new car look like a $39 PC case from 2004.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
hahaha "Let's slap some LEDs on it and call it limited edition". How long until neon & LED under-body kits come back in style? Also, that's a ticket waiting to happen. Cops LOVE pulling people over with blue & red lights anywhere on/under their cars.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Lancer is maybe the worst car I know of (anecdotally, I don't have local statistics) for insurance at the moment. It appeals to a terrible risk group, is fragile and is expensive to repair when it does break. I was told a few days ago that a friend of a friend managed to rack up a $15k repair bill on his $17k Lancer in a low speed collision that just tore the bodywork.

If you look on the modern Lancer forums you can see a lot of people complaining that they pay way more in insurance for their naturally aspirated four door tupperware car than your average Mustang.

I don't think anyone was really surprised that insurance rates for the BRZ/FRS would go up this year, were they? I've already seen a few high profile accidents on youtube.

When I was looking for a car around 3 years ago I cross shopped insurance between a 99 Mustang GT and a 99 SVT Cobra. The Cobra was cheaper for me. I was 22 at the time and my dad who has been in the insurance business for over 20 years explained to me that often the LOWER model car costs more to insure due to the increased likely hood (due to less initial cost of ownership) of a younger less careful crowd. The lower model typically gets crashed more often/gets reported to insurance more often than a higher model like an Cobra. is Typically someone that owns a SVT Cobra (Vs. a GT) is older and less likely to drive the vehicle that much and thus reduced possibility for a insurance claim. Thus, a lower cost for insurance across the age range.

Zipcode and likely hood of the car being stolen are massive factors as well.

I pay around $250 every six months for full coverage for my 05 STi in rural Wisconsin and I'm a 25 year old male. (Being 25+ helps a lot.)

Edit: The Sti is listed as my primary vehicle as well which effects rates.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 29, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

G-Mach posted:

I pay around $250 every six months for full coverage for my 05 STi in rural Wisconsin and I'm a 25 year old male. (Being 25+ helps a lot.)

I'm paying $75 a month for the MS6 and the Lightning and I'm 34.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I'm paying $75 a month for the MS6 and the Lightning and I'm 34.

Is the MS6 listed as the primary and the Lightning listed as a "recreational or weekend vehicle" with mileage limits?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

G-Mach posted:

Is the MS6 listed as the primary and the Lightning listed as a "recreational or weekend vehicle" with mileage limits?

It was literally a $4 difference because of how State Farm classifies the Lightning as just a normal pick up so I put no restrictions. I'll be sad to see it go because I'm going to lose my multiple car discount.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Devyl posted:

hahaha "Let's slap some LEDs on it and call it limited edition". How long until neon & LED under-body kits come back in style? Also, that's a ticket waiting to happen. Cops LOVE pulling people over with blue & red lights anywhere on/under their cars.

The blue lights turn on when the car unlocks.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
So autozone will have a full selection of blue led badges any day now right?

Oh drat it....
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Reese-Ford-lighted-LED-logo-emblem/_/N-6g88?itemIdentifier=156471_0_0_

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Lancer is maybe the worst car I know of (anecdotally, I don't have local statistics) for insurance at the moment.

Hah, I know someone who drives a '07 base Lancer and got insurance quotes for the BRZ/FRS. They were both cheaper to insure than the Lancer :v:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Subaru is cruel:
http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/432/1/subaru-surrenders-confirms-awd-turbo-convertible-two-seater

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I'm surprised they didn't mention that it was CVT only.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

My favorite part was this

"The new model, which is expected to have a starting price"

E: I would actually buy/drive the poo poo out of that thing, too. I love me some turbo diesels.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
That's the only April Fools joke that actually made me chuckle. Kudos

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Got some tints and installed Racecomp Engineering sways and springs over the weekend :toot:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is that a one-car townhome garage with a two post lift?

Are you looking for neighbors?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I wish, I did the work at my friend's house.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.scion.com/cars/scion_series/

Looks like they are coming out with a limited edition fr-s with the JDM HIDs, keyless entry & start, and dual zone climate control. Wonder how much it will be compared to the Subaru.

This is also good news for regular owners as these items will now have part numbers in the system that will fit in the stock locations without having to order from Japan. Might get me a set of them HIDs eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
The only thing I wish I had was push to start, and something tells me I can't just swap that in since the dash pillar console (whatever it's called) is different. :(

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 8, 2013

• Locked thread