Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

scaper exile posted:

Hey Newfies are worse for that...500 years of two bays over does not exactly keep the blood fresh...

If you want to talk about actual inbred hicks for real, thats deffo Nova Scotia. We had a dude in my old unit actually say he'd bang his cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

Pufflekins posted:

So... quebec?

Saguenay Lac-St-Jean to be more precise. We are so inbred that we have our own genetic illness.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frog 1.0 posted:

Saguenay Lac-St-Jean to be more precise. We are so inbred that we have our own genetic illness.

Aww c'mon man, I can only assume being French sucks, but don't say it's an illness!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

...my fire-team partner ripped her nipple-ring out during a section-attack on the 5-day defensive ex...

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

whywomenshouldn'tbeinthemilitary.txt

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Samu posted:

Tuyop, you poo poo in buckets and your girlfriend wants to bang hot superiors at work?

Don't have kids, guys, please.

But Tuyop IS a hot superior at work, at least understand that.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Frog 1.0 posted:

Rollcall with 35 Brigade is the funniest poo poo ever.

"Big Boss" Tremblay!
"Gros Bras" Tremblay!
"P'tit" Tremblay!
"Big" Tremblay!
"Le Roux" Tremblay!
"Machine" Tremblay!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Actually she went career, 2RCHA, component trans to MP, 2 deployments and jump wings. Best gunner I ever served with.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fair enough. The females in my unit with body piercings aren't exactly loving the cf.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

Pufflekins posted:

Aww c'mon man, I can only assume being French sucks, but don't say it's an illness!

It's spreading out too. Every english guy that see me at my unit always greet me in french. That's how it begin...

Barrakketh posted:

Rollcall with 35 Brigade is the funniest poo poo ever.

"Big Boss" Tremblay!
"Gros Bras" Tremblay!
"P'tit" Tremblay!
"Big" Tremblay!
"Le Roux" Tremblay!
"Machine" Tremblay!

There's probably enough Tremblay in the CF to form a full battalion. There's even one in Edmonton who doesnt speak any french at all. Poor bastard have been far from home for quite a bit.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I know there are a couple NTOs kicking around this thread...did you any of come to the mess dinner on Wednesday?

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Freeze posted:

I know there are a couple NTOs kicking around this thread...did you any of come to the mess dinner on Wednesday?

I went to the Fleet mess dinner on Thursday instead, it was tame but the food was delicious. I heard the NTO mess dinner was exactly the opposite?

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

HammerOfHope posted:

I went to the Fleet mess dinner on Thursday instead, it was tame but the food was delicious. I heard the NTO mess dinner was exactly the opposite?

Sounds about right. I thought the food was okay, but a lot of people were complaining about it. This was my first mess dinner so I don't really have a comparison, but it seemed very rowdy. I left the bridge around 3am and it was still going strong. I managed not to screw anything up, unlike my friend who completely cocked up the toast of the day resulting in a very pissed off Commodore haha.

I wasn't even aware there was a fleet mess dinner on Thursday.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I was there, I was wondering what was up with the toast of the day

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I`m not completely sure why he did that. He had been discussing which dit he was going to tell, but just as we were going back in after the break he told me he was just going to do nothing. That was an extremely unpleasant stunned silence after he finished.

Anyways, the Commodore was pissed off, and the Commandant said he would "take care of it", so we shall see.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Hahahah, it won't be much of a deal. You can't get into too much trouble at that rank

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
What exactly is in this "toast of the day" is there a script you have to follow or something?

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

There's a different toast for each day of the week. Wednesday is a toast to Ourselves, traditionally followed by someone in the crowd shouting "because no one else cares", or something of that nature. The youngest member is supposed to tell a humerous/embarrassing navy experience they've had as part of the toast and then wrap it into the toast of the day.

In this case, my friend said something like "And now a toast to ourselves" and that was it.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Subbie stories are notoriously painful ("so this one time on NETPO/NEI/MARS III...!") though you really are supposed to try and say something funny prior to the toast of the day. Hard to blame a guy for trying to spare the audience a bit.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Mess etiquette in general is all hosed up. A buddy of mine, in his unit has a tradition to tap the table everytime you pass the port, where most army traditions is to never let it touch the table. He did this and got a big rant about how stupid reservists. Surprise surprise, different unit's have different traditions.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

swagger like us posted:

He did this and got a big rant about how stupid reservists.

In his defence, this is true 99.98% of the time

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Pufflekins posted:

In his defence, this is true 99.98% of the time

Are there enough reservists for that statement to make sense?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Im applying to VOT to Int Op in the reserves. Any Int Ops/Former int ops be willing to give me some advice for the interview as to what the unit's PL WO or officer will be looking for in potential recruits?

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So, if anyone remembers me, I applied for DEO Pilot last year and failed out at Aircrew Selection. In order to get a second shot I had to upgrade my civilian pilot's license and go back to square one, so, Commercial Pilot's License in hand, I just submitted the online application and begin the waiting game!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Congratulations. Way to stick with it.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Frosted Flake posted:

Congratulations. Way to stick with it.

Sticking with it was... expensive. Here's hoping it wasn't in vain. (N.B. I didn't fork out the cash just for the CF, although it is far and away Plan A. If it doesn't work out, I'm most likely going to pursue the civilian path to becoming a pilot.)

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012

swagger like us posted:

Im applying to VOT to Int Op in the reserves. Any Int Ops/Former int ops be willing to give me some advice for the interview as to what the unit's PL WO or officer will be looking for in potential recruits?

All I can say is good luck. Although, they are hurting for Int Op in the PRes community. Apparently making maps and coffee isn't what most people think of when they join the CF. That's what I was promised. Now look at me, I got sand in my vagina and I'm back and forth on the other side of the world.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was trying to get into reserve intel and I was always told that it was a retirement trade and you couldn't get in off the street.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Frosted Flake posted:

I was trying to get into reserve intel and I was always told that it was a retirement trade and you couldn't get in off the street.

My brother is reserve Int (NCM) he applied for it and got it.

E: That was probably 5 years ago.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

I had to give the toast of the day at the west coast NTO dinner about 10 years ago and it was terrible. I don't have issues talking in front of a crowd but for whatever reason I froze up huge.

However as a Sub Lt you are bullet proof for everything but criminal charges so no worries there.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
The only thing more bulletproof that an Subbie is a Middie. But it seems you guys don't have Midshipman. Worse bit it, Middie used to be a training rank, and now's it's an actual rank, but there's more than enough people out there who either don't know it changed or forgot.

That said, normally the Army or RAF has no clue who or what a middie is. Get no salutes, give no fucks. The lack of gold on the shoulders tends to confuse people.

I have (as a subbie) been mistaken for an ensign by a few yanks. Always annoying.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Well, we have Acting Subbies who do get salutes but otherwise get no respect. They're too early on in their training to see too much in the fleet though.

Personally I'm happy to leave all this mess dinner customs uptightness to officer types where it's always been.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Orange Someone posted:

The only thing more bulletproof that an Subbie is a Middie. But it seems you guys don't have Midshipman. Worse bit it, Middie used to be a training rank, and now's it's an actual rank, but there's more than enough people out there who either don't know it changed or forgot.

That said, normally the Army or RAF has no clue who or what a middie is. Get no salutes, give no fucks. The lack of gold on the shoulders tends to confuse people.

I have (as a subbie) been mistaken for an ensign by a few yanks. Always annoying.

Our equivalent to midshipman is Naval Cadet (Ncdt). Not be confused with Sea Cadets, the youth organization for promiscuous teens.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lt. Jebus posted:

Our equivalent to midshipman is Naval Cadet (Ncdt). Not be confused with Sea Cadets, the youth organization for promiscuous teens.

Or air cadets, the youth organization for teens with entitlement complexes.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Frosted Flake posted:

I joined off the street.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 16, 2017

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

stevobob posted:

I've been out of the reserves since September and I've now decided that the best course of action for my life would be to join the Air Force, first choice AESOP. Right now I fix cars/trucks/trailers in a shop and it's not horrible, but if I had to make this my career I'd probably just off myself now. Thoughts?

I was bunked in the same barracks as the AESOPs when we were each doing our trades training. They were super pumped about it. Seems like a great job if you're into technical work and you want aircrew pay. I seriously considered it after talking to them and their instructors.

Also those guys played more guitar hero than anyone I've seen before or since

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
AESOP is the best NCM trade in the forces - it's very, very similar to ACSO without the officer stuff. You have a very high level of responsibility even as a low rank, so the thudfuck level in the trade is extremely low. You're aircrew too, which is the best overall occupational group in the CF to belong to (flight suits all day, every day).

The AESOP community camaraderie seems really high and they really look after each other, yet are typically a pleasure to work with (not insular). The downside is that if you get maritime helicopter you will be away from home a lot, and if you get maritime patrol the odds are good you'll spend a lot of time in the middle-of-nowhere, Nova Scotia (Greenwood). That said everyone I know who's done it has not regretted it. Most postings are Halifax and Greenwood, NS and Victoria and Comox, BC.

Whether they're recruiting off the street this fiscal is a good question to ask.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 16, 2017

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Lt. Jebus posted:

Midshipman is an actual commissioned substantive rank in the RN. Officer Cadet is used whilst at BRNC, going through initial naval training. But noone knows this, and middies are often quite rare, due to the fact that they havn't been to university and generally join up at 18 (although I didn't).

And yes, aircrew is definitely the way forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Interesting. I didn't know midshipmen held commissions in the RN, I assumed they were similar to USN middies which is similar to our NCdt, in terms of being an "officer" but not commissioned (yet). Midshipman would be a better title than what we currently use for the same rank, Acting Sub Lt.

Commander Jebus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 31, 2013