Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Five months of traveling after graduating is not at all a long period of time and shouldn't be an issue at all, especially if you were actually doing things and not just sitting in your parents' basement playing video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

So 2 months into this (predictably) suckfest corporate job on a 3 month contract; I ask and realize to myself as I hunt for new jobs, all corporate coding jobs are probably god awful from a programmer perspective? Are small (prosperous) companies developer paradise? How do you find these jobs though (what with them being small local companies)?

(edit: moved the important stuff to the front and the more E/N stuff to the bottom)

No. It really depends on the place. Bad management is bad management and happens everywhere, places big and small.

TL;DR: A fast-moving small company will probably be more fun to work for, but it may be because they're skimping on important-but-unglamorous work that still must be done.

Small companies will probably give you a bigger breadth of experience in a variety of roles. You'll probably have to do a little bit of everything, which is a good thing for a young dude taking his first steps into the real world. Small companies will probably (I say probably, because I'm too young myself to know) make a you a better, more well-rounded engineer. The big company I'm at now made me a better coder (though I think I lucked out and my experience isn't the typical). Big companies is order, small companies is chaos.

Oh one other thing I picked up from my experience -- another plus for big companies is that if you generally like the people or place, but hate your team/manager/work you're doing, you can easily chat up someone 2 floors below and find another team to transfer over (of course, not all companies encourage or make transferring easy). Small companies, you either like your team and what you're doing, or you'll have to go look for another company.

(And now, for the E/N rant.)

My last company was a small-medium company. It was even very prosperous, widely known as the best product in our area, and we eventually got acquired by another big company. Inside the gates? All the focus was on getting stuff out the door, so lots of corners were shaved, shortcuts taken, and come next quarter, there was "no time" to repay technical debt because hey, new features to push (yes, I was specifically told not to repay this debt). Things became a horrible mess to work with, and I consider my time "not well spent" if over half my time and frustration is spent unravelling cesspools rather than doing interesting work. We were also highly dependent on this other team's product to do our work. Since there weren't any quality or testing standards in place or anything, they pushed out their features with minimal testing because we were usually the catching them. So, not only did we have our own work to do, we had to act as part-time QA for them -- except sometimes these bugs are blocking for us, and of course bugfixes themselves were often buggy.

I'm now at a big company. Code reviews are required with a heavy emphasis on style and readability. And conversely to what everyone's saying about big company vs. small, I've learned much more about how to write clean, maintainable code than I ever did at my small company. I mean, this makes sense, right? Larger codebases have a much more dire need for maintainable code. The downside, of course, is that code submissions have to go through this entire review process, and then launches go through this launch process, both of which takes time. But to me, I'd rather spend extra time waiting for my reviewer to get back to me (during which I could work on something else), rather than spending the same extra time in spaghetti-induced frustration.

Oh, I should also mention that the Big Company infrastructure is usually robust enough that if you miss a bug in your code somewhere, the whole thing won't come crashing down. On the contrary, this happened a lot at Small Company. So yes, depending on how well-run the company is, some small companies initially "move faster," but that's because they worry less about writing solid code and doing thorough QA and more about Making Cool Profitable poo poo. And many devs love this, because everyone hates writing tests and getting bogged down over that one misplaced closing brace (see: how we essentially paid the price for all of Other Team's bugs), even though these are the unglamorous things that must get done. Everyone wants to build their own new sand castles, not fix up old ones. It just so happens that large companies also inevitably old sand castles that constantly need fixing.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 29, 2013

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
How strong do my programming skills have to be to get an internship?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

how!! posted:

It depends on what kind of programmer you are. If you don't really care about programming, then stick with big companies. If you really love programming, then you're best to stick with smaller companies. If you're self taught, or have lots of personal projects, you probably are a great programmer, and working at a big company will drive you crazy. If you just chose Computer Science as your major because you "heard they make lots of money", you probably suck as a developer (but are too stupid to admit it to yourself) and you'll have more fun working with other miserable bastards such as yourself. Most employees at big companies don't care at all if they do a good job or a crappy job so its very common to see the most hosed up ugly crap you have ever seen.

That said, there are some lovely small companies. Small startups generally are either incredibly terrible, or incredibly awesome. Its really dependent on the personalities of the people who already are involved with the company.

how!!? how!! is this person still allowed to give advice to anyone about anything?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Doghouse posted:

How strong do my programming skills have to be to get an internship?

Depends on your grades and what classes you've taken I'd say. They don't expect you to be able to do the job of one of their actual programmers, you're there to learn.

It's also important to point out the difference between "skill" and experience. If you put in the effort and have some good-looking code from class projects, that should show that you're capable of learning which is more important than if you know x language or y framework.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Brosnan posted:

how!!? how!! is this person still allowed to give advice to anyone about anything?
Amazing post+avatar combo.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

facepalmolive posted:

Oh, I should also mention that the Big Company infrastructure is usually robust enough that if you miss a bug in your code somewhere, the whole thing won't come crashing down.

That, and if I do ship a bug to a customer, there are a bare minimum of three other people who signed off on it as OK; it's not all my fault and no one is going to blame it on me.

Many companies are like that, and many aren't, whether they're big or small. That's why it's important during the interview process to find out how things work at that company; you can't just assume things will work in a way you're comfortable with.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

kitten smoothie posted:

Do you know this for a fact, having experienced big and small organizations, or are you just divining this insight from Slashdot comments and Dilbert comics?

I have experience working at both types of companies. Big companies that sucked, big companies that sucked a little, small companies that rocked rear end, and small companies that sucked rear end. The company I work for now is a small company that sucks rear end. But its all relative. Some people would consider the job I have now as a pariside job. Basically I work from home, but I only work like 3 hours a week. The boss will give me an assignment for the week, and I have to write a "status report" every friday basically filling him in on the progress of my work. My assignment for this week is to "figure out how to use google calendar API". Later today I'm going to write up my status report and its going to be basically 200 words or so describing how to sign up with Google APIs. Last week my task was to "prep the codebase for building unit tests". These people are paying me 60K... One one had this job sucks because I know I could be having way more fun building something that will actually see the light of day. On the other hand, free money is kinda nice.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Unless you are working on projects in your own time, you are just screwing your self over. Yes, free money is nice and not having to do work is wonderful. Unfortunately, what are you going to talk about when interviewing for your next position? Nothing.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Don Mega posted:

Unless you are working on projects in your own time, you are just screwing your self over. Yes, free money is nice and not having to do work is wonderful. Unfortunately, what are you going to talk about when interviewing for your next position? Nothing.

Umm, haven't you seen his github? There are several 100+ line projects there.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

how!! posted:

I have experience working at both types of companies. Big companies that sucked, big companies that sucked a little, small companies that rocked rear end, and small companies that sucked rear end. The company I work for now is a small company that sucks rear end. But its all relative. Some people would consider the job I have now as a pariside job. Basically I work from home, but I only work like 3 hours a week. The boss will give me an assignment for the week, and I have to write a "status report" every friday basically filling him in on the progress of my work. My assignment for this week is to "figure out how to use google calendar API". Later today I'm going to write up my status report and its going to be basically 200 words or so describing how to sign up with Google APIs. Last week my task was to "prep the codebase for building unit tests". These people are paying me 60K... One one had this job sucks because I know I could be having way more fun building something that will actually see the light of day. On the other hand, free money is kinda nice.
This is actually kind of awesome. Like others have said, it's not good for career building but I could definitely see this kind of thing being appealing after I've worked real jobs for a while and am burned out (not to mention the potential income if you could somehow get multiples of this kind of job; 180k for 9 hours of work a week!). How did you get it? Did you just fall into it?

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
Wow, he somehow found a company that is dumber than he is.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
You should take the advice of people who are where you want to be.

I never payed attention to howw!!'s advice, because I did not realize that he was where I wanted to be. I just need to take all of his advice and act on it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

I remember a thread in D&D about how much people actually work at their white-collar jobs where someone (duck monster? Some kind of physics/coding guy) said that most of his team works maybe 25% of the time, and they're actually one of the more productive teams. I think they were government contractors which may explain it.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Um, so personally, I've dropped in and out of CoC many times before, but nothing caught or kept my attention. Just recently, however, I read my first how!! post. He's probably the only reason I'm here. Speaking of which...

how!! posted:

Basically I work from home, but I only work like 3 hours a week... These people are paying me 60K

Holy poo poo, what. If I were in that kind of position, I'd be working another real fulltime job on top of that. Or find 12 more of these gigs and I'd making 800K a year working 39 hours a week.

e:

No. He's the one getting 60K a year for doing essentially no work. He's the one true genius here.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 29, 2013

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I wonder if that 3 hours/week includes the amount of time he spent in the shower trying to solve a problem while totally not trying to solve a problem.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

how!! posted:

The company I work for now is a small company that sucks rear end... I work from home... I only work like 3 hours a week... These people are paying me 60K... this job sucks...
Man some people really have it rough.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

Cicero posted:

This is actually kind of awesome. Like others have said, it's not good for career building but I could definitely see this kind of thing being appealing after I've worked real jobs for a while and am burned out (not to mention the potential income if you could somehow get multiples of this kind of job; 180k for 9 hours of work a week!). How did you get it? Did you just fall into it?

I found the job on careers.stackoverflow.com. It may seem really awesome but its really not. Its very hard coming up with things to say for my status reports. I'd honestly rather build actual software, because thats what I'm good at, and its what I enjoy doing. Basically the other technical guy thats part of my 'team', is a complete retard and has never shipped a single product before. It takes him a entire week to get one tiny thing built, so thats the baseline that I have to perform against. In the past I would have taken it upon myself to get more meaningful work. But I've learned that doing those things will just result in getting fired. "B players hire C players", and all that jazz. If you want a job like this, learn how to act like a C player.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
I'm almost certainly convinced how!! is a troll now, but:

how!! posted:

I found the job on careers.stackoverflow.com. It may seem really awesome but its really not.
You're getting paid $384 an hour.

quote:

Its very hard coming up with things to say for my status reports.
Oh no!! 200 words!

quote:

I'd honestly rather build actual software, because thats what I'm good at, and its what I enjoy doing.
Well you're half right here

quote:

In the past I would have taken it upon myself to get more meaningful work. But I've learned that doing those things will just result in getting fired. "B players hire C players", and all that jazz. If you want a job like this, learn how to act like a C player.
Does anyone know what on earth he means by this? Yes, you do indeed get fired from good jobs for being incompetent.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
By "C" player, he means "Kanye" player. Read his groundbreaking thesis on human archetypes:

http://www.slideshare.net/priestc/the-kanye-quotient

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

By "C" player, he means "Kanye" player. Read his groundbreaking thesis on human archetypes:

http://www.slideshare.net/priestc/the-kanye-quotient

quote:

A team should contain at least one woman
A team should not consist entirely of the aforementioned things
This is really embarrassing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

how!! posted:

I found the job on careers.stackoverflow.com. It may seem really awesome but its really not. Its very hard coming up with things to say for my status reports. I'd honestly rather build actual software, because thats what I'm good at, and its what I enjoy doing. Basically the other technical guy thats part of my 'team', is a complete retard and has never shipped a single product before. It takes him a entire week to get one tiny thing built, so thats the baseline that I have to perform against. In the past I would have taken it upon myself to get more meaningful work. But I've learned that doing those things will just result in getting fired. "B players hire C players", and all that jazz. If you want a job like this, learn how to act like a C player.
See, I would love a job like this (not right now, but someday). I'm pretty good at spitting out buzzwords when the need arises, and I certainly wouldn't mind spending more time with my family.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

I'm almost certainly convinced how!! is a troll now, but:

Oh no!! 200 words!
Well you're half right here

Does anyone know what on earth he means by this? Yes, you do indeed get fired from good jobs for being incompetent.

You do indeed get fired from good jobs for being incompetent, but my point is you get fired from bad jobs for being competent. The job I have now is a bad job. If I let slip that I'm not working my rear end off, I'l probably get fired, even though I'm doing everything they ask of me. 99% of jobs out there these days are bad jobs, in my experience.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

I think he's saying if he takes too much initiative his boss will see him as a threat and fire him? Not sure.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

how!! posted:

You do indeed get fired from good jobs for being incompetent, but my point is you get fired from bad jobs for being competent. The job I have now is a bad job. If I let slip that I'm not working my rear end off, I'l probably get fired, even though I'm doing everything they ask of me. 99% of jobs out there these days are bad jobs, in my experience.

Your solution: find a bad job and be incompetant. Great work! Sounds right up your alley.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mr. Crow posted:

Posting from my phone so I'll try to keep it short, but my biggest gripe is a "get it done" mentality and having to do hoola hoops around bureaucracy. There's no quality control; no peer review, we have one tester I know of, that basically verifies the feature works then we ship it off, no regression testing on and on... It's also a joy that designers, writers and any other job description related to developing a product have no direct interaction or "architecture". Designer gets done with a new page? Hands me a zip file with just a raw html f file and all the necessary folders /files structure in whatever dreamweaver decided that had nothing to do with the solution or actual website structure. Now I get to figure out what already exists, what's new, figure out where to put it, break the page apart into separate asp. Net components that are all over blah blah blah. Oh and the point of contact that assigns the ticket, "use all the existing tracking information". Wait what? Half of this doesn't make sense for this, go back and forth for a week trying to clarify the requirements with a guy that doesn't know anything about analytics or code. Finally go talk to one of the analytics guys directly. ."what? We've stopped using that entirely, ya just GA is fine for this page." Cool. Also good to know we stopped using that tracker cause its still everywhere in the code and website!

Also IT/Help desk bullshit. They hired an Internet manager a week after me and hosed up his laptop with no ide. He's harassed them weekly and still uses the free express versions (he can't open half the projects).

I have no doubt I was spoiled by my first job (small 40~ person software company), and that this company is just exemplary lovely, but I can see everything I hate about this job being much more likely to occur in any other corporate environment.

Edit: haha maybe not, guess you can tell how much I love this place! Apologize for the partial rant.

I'm going to go back and address this to give us a little break from how!!! chat. Most of the complaints you have may seem like large corporate environment problems, but in reality a lot of these things (unclear requirements, people not communicating) happen everywhere, all the time (though their root cause may be slightly different, or they may manifest themselves slightly differently).

If you really think a small company is where it's at for you, then go for it. Some people are just more happy with the idea of working for a small company. If you can find one of those jobs that suits you, all the better. Although I can't really give you advice on how to find these jobs, as most of the offers I have gotten for small-shop jobs have been through people that I have met at my big corporate jobs.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Newbie Programming Interviews/Get a Job Megathread: how!! Do I linked list?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Jmcrofts posted:

I think he's saying if he takes too much initiative his boss will see him as a threat and fire him? Not sure.

He's just trying to justify the fact that he is repeated fired from all of these "bad" jobs that he's had.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

how!! if your job literally only takes 3 hours a week I'll do it on the side, just get your partner fired and me hired on, I could use an extra 60k a year.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

Cicero posted:

how!! if your job literally only takes 3 hours a week I'll do it on the side, just get your partner fired and me hired on, I could use an extra 60k a year.

I can't get the other person fired. The other guy is best friends with the CEO, who is being funded by "an inheritance". They apparently are pretty close friends, which means this guy , no matter how incompetent, will never leave. In my experience, the worst small companies are the ones where everyone are friends. The best kinds are when each employee is treated not as a friend, but as a professional.

Anyways, there is nothing special about my job. This kind of crap is everywhere. Clueless kids with rich parents starting (failed) companies with their friends is a pretty common occurrence. You just have to learn how to play the game.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

how!! posted:

Anyways, there is nothing special about my job.

Anyway I get the feeling you're working such hours a week because:

1) You're new, and the company doesn't expect you to hit the ground running so they're not giving you a huge workload to start with.
2) You're underestimating what the company is actually expecting of you. This seems to be a recurring theme for you.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 30, 2013

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
3) The company is mismanaged and will fail soon, and how!! will be out of a job, and will be unable to present anything constructive that that he's done when he goes to look for a new job.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

evensevenone posted:

3) The company is mismanaged and will fail soon, and how!! will be out of a job, and will be unable to present anything constructive that that he's done when he goes to look for a new job.

Which makes all the talk of how well he's being compensated completely negligible, really. I'd rather make $50k and go into work everyday eager to learn something I'm passionate about than $100k while sitting around doing nothing. I've been in the situation how!! is in with zero room to grow and it sucked even though I was making far more than any of my peers.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
4) We live in a hustle economy these days and hustle skills are what pays the bills. Its a dirty greasy game, but if you want to get paid, you have to play the game. This guy doesn't want a great programmer, he wants another buddy to play "company" with. He doesn't want a product, he wants a company. I've played this game many times before. As long as I call the dude regularly and send him emails with buzzwords, he'll be able to convince his rich parents that his company needs to stay funded. As long as the company says funded, I continue to get my bread.

edit: replace "rich parents" with "VC" and its still true for pretty much any small company in a lovely economy.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Which makes all the talk of how well he's being compensated completely negligible, really. I'd rather make $50k and go into work everyday eager to learn something I'm passionate about than $100k while sitting around doing nothing. I've been in the situation how!! is in with zero room to grow and it sucked even though I was making far more than any of my peers.

Use your free time and the extra money to do cool poo poo on your own?

I don't see how how!!'s situation isn't ideal if you actually want to do things.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Because it's fictional? He gets a new job every probation.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Well I used the money and free time to do schoolwork. Also, how!! and I were a bit different in that I was spending 8 hours in the office + a 1.5 hour commute each way. I left when we got a new manager who made the days longer and the work even more tedious/meaningless. Such is the audit department at a top 30 company I guess.

E: I guess my post was pointless because I used money from that first job to get where I am now. Finishing school, interview process with a bunch of places I'm interested in, etc.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Safe and Secure! posted:

Use your free time and the extra money to do cool poo poo on your own?

I don't see how how!!'s situation isn't ideal if you actually want to do things.

I actually had a similar situation to how!!. Calculating an hourly wage for actual work done would be impossible, because you can not divide by zero.

I was a field consultant for my employer and the economy was such that they had no contracts in the pipeline. They were very happy with the work I could do when I was staffed, though, and made this clear to me by keeping me around while laying off pretty much all the other benched employees they had. Out of the 18 months I worked for that firm, they did not need my services for 10. I was paid full salary and benefits in exchange for absolutely no work.

I was a remote employee; one of my bosses was four states away and the other was in Canada. I'd check in with my boss every Monday morning; maybe one week out of that period she told me to get on a plane the following Monday. Otherwise she'd wish me a happy week and that was the end of my responsibilities.

I spent the time learning the hell out of Rails and iOS and keeping my skills sharp and getting paid great money for it. The extra knowledge got me some freelance projects I was able to pick up. Eventually I quit that job and was able to hit the ground running at a place where I would have to actually do real work, because I had kept up on skills and had things to show for that time frame.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 30, 2013

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?
I was actually really surprised when I got my new job- my manager is a great guy and there's a bunch of things to do, but he's stuck in meetings all day and things tend to bottleneck until he can start assigning tasks. I came from a small firm where I had a huge list of things to do every day and I was getting paid so much less, so it pretty crazy that I was getting paid significantly more and had a lot more free time.

I asked a couple of the other developers around, and they said that it was par for the course for contracting gigs- if they ask you to do an hours worth of work over the course of the day, you stretch it to 8. If they give you a huge task list, you do your best to knock it out. It's kind of weird, and it's my first 'big' job so I'm trying to find extra ways to be helpful and go above and beyond, but I'm not sure if at the end of the day it's going to result in my contract being extended or anything. On a good day I'm reading blogs and writing little experimental JS and portfolio stuff, on bad days I'm on imgur for waaaay too long.

I'd love to find a way to do a bunch of cool stuff non stop, but we're high up on the Fortune list and there's a ton of bureaucracy weighing us down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Well I applied for the position of E-commerce administrator for a local casino, and they called me like 6-7 times trying to get me in for an interview. I guess I'll be going down on Monday. It's not exactly the position I want, but casinos have renowned benefits in this community, so it's worth a shot I guess. I'd rather get a dev job but it would work while I'm in college.

Thanks for the help, I'll be applying for more positions; hopefully a coding job or internship will bite.