Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't have much to comment on amongst that list other than Le Cercle Rouge which owned a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I saw it for the first time at the movies like two years to the day after I saw Enter The Void; it delivered the experience that the latter movie promised.

Nice, I liked Enter the Void (although truth be told it could have been at least an hour shorter IMHO). Looking forward to what Marienbad will be like.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This should make some people in this thread happy.

quote:

Eighteen of Satyajit Ray's films will soon be restored to iimprove their longevity

Ray's timeless classics will now be protected from the ravages of time. The Criterion Collection, which has restored some of the world's best-known classics and critically successful obscure movies like 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' (1928), M (1931), 'The Children of Paradise' (1945) apart from Chaplin films and works of Akira Kurosawa, is set to do a repeat with 18 of Satyajit Ray's movies.

Having bought the home video rights of The Apu Trilogy, Charulata, Mahanagar and Nayak among others, they are set to do "frame by frame" restoration before distributing them in the US and Canada. What's more, director Abbey Lustgartern is in town to film personal accounts shared by artistes who have worked with Ray, to go with each film.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Ooh, the Apu Trilogy will be quite interesting. This reminds me; I've had a BR of The Music Room which I still haven't gotten around to yet (but that's because I'm going through all my recent Criterions in order of spine number). I'll get to it eventually.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Oh God, FFD has been waiting like a decade for this. His testicles will explode with glee.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hewlett posted:

Ooh, the Apu Trilogy will be quite interesting. This reminds me; I've had a BR of The Music Room which I still haven't gotten around to yet (but that's because I'm going through all my recent Criterions in order of spine number). I'll get to it eventually.

Oh, it's really good, I just saw it on Hulu last week, and if the restorations are half as nice as the one for Music Room I'll be thrilled - the copy of Pather Panchali I have looks like garbage.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That's amazing news. I've been waiting for more Ray to trickle out forever. I've seen eight or nine of his movies and all of them are first-rate. I hope Pratidwandi is included "among others."

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's been known for a while, but it's a joy to get some detail. So great that they've got interviews with Tagore and Mukherjee, and it'll be huge if they get Chatterjee. They say Mukherjee's interview is going to split among three movies, which means besides Mahanagar and Charulata, we're going to get Mahapurush/Kapurush. I wonder if they interviewed Aparna Sen. Too bad Robi Ghosh is dead.

Pratidwandi seems likely, hopefully in a box of the Calcutta trilogy. I have to believe Devi is on the slate as well. Days and Nights in the Forest is a strong candidate. Possibly an Eclipse set with the Goopy/Bagha and Feluda films ("Satyajit Ray's Light Entertainments")?

So these are confirmed:

Pather Panchali
Aparajito
Apur Sansar
Mahanagar
Charulata
Nayak

That leaves 12, but I assume that includes the already released Jalsaghar. As I said above, three Mukherjee interviews means Kapurush, which they would probably release with Mahapurush. I dunno if that counts as one or two. But let's say that leaves 10. My wishlist:

Devi
Pratidwandi
Jana Aranya
Seemabaddha
Days and Nights in the Forest
Sonar Kella
Ghare-Baire
Ashani Sanket
Kanchenjungha
Teen Kanya

No matter what it's a loving win for me. Charulata and Mahanagar are top ten all-time.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

And here I am thinking the Apu Trilogy was already confirmed, and am disappointed every month it isn't announced.

Guess I won't be seeing it released for quite some time :(.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Just watched Le Doulos and really enjoyed the film. I loved the gritty early gangster film style, with super cool French actors. What a bummer that this and other Melville films are going out of print.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I saw The Third Man on DVD at a used book store. It was 40 bucks - did I make a mistake in not picking it up? I figured that I'd rather own the blu-ray and I can get it from my library (Criterion edition and all!) without too much hassle. On the other hand, I don't know if it's something I'll see in the wild again for quite a while.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Don't forget that there is the StudioCanal BluRay edition that can be had on Amazon for $18 new with it's own plethora of extras. Unless you absolutely need a Criterion edition, I would say got for that one.
Here's the DVDBeaver comparison
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews8/thirdman.htm

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Don't forget that there is the StudioCanal BluRay edition that can be had on Amazon for $18 new with it's own plethora of extras. Unless you absolutely need a Criterion edition, I would say got for that one.
Here's the DVDBeaver comparison
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews8/thirdman.htm

But I need the little spine numbers to match up :qq: (literally my actual perspective)

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I feel your pain, man. I was really fortunate to snag an unopened copy of the bluray from a closing Borders.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

kaujot posted:

I feel your pain, man. I was really fortunate to snag an unopened copy of the bluray from a closing Borders.

I honestly don't understand it when I see pictures of people's Criterion collections that are in alphabetical order - I just want to grab them through the screen and put it in spine number for them. MY OCD :negative:

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 5, 2013

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Hewlett posted:

I honestly don't understand it when I see pictures of people's Criterion collections that are in alphabetical order - I just want to grab them through the screen and put it in spine number for them. MY OCD :negative:

I sort mine into my director collections or sometimes into genre collections (ie Gojira) but other than that I sort alphabetical. The only reason to have them sorted by spine # is purely for collecting reasons, unless you can remember what each spine number's film is.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Just watched Last Year at Marienbad and, what the hell did I just watch?! :psyduck: I think I liked the film but am not sure. It's an absolutely gorgeous picture though, especially on bluray.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Well, I just threw a bunch of money at Marienbad, hope I don't regret it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I got a Barnes & Noble gift card recently and immediately went there to pick up the bluray of Marienbad. Watched it this morning and it's an incredibly unique, beautiful, and mesmerizing film. Also, it's clearly a key component of The Shining's DNA.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So a friend and I watched Last Year at Marienbad, and I think it sort of highlights the importance of the Criterion collection. If it weren't curated by Criterion, I, and I would assume many others, would have assumed that Marienbad would have been exactly the kind of movie one would associate with the term "pretentious French film" and dismissed it as such. But in the context of it being part of the Criterion collection, and I'm not sure what this says about me, I gave it deeper consideration, and while I'm not sure I "enjoyed" the movie, it did give me a reason to appreciate it. I realize it is probably intellectually lazy of me to "give up" on the film if it there weren't some external factor basically saying, "Hey, look at this," but I'm still grateful that factor was there.

That being said, I have no idea what that movie was about.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Marienbad, along with Eraserhead, have put me to sleep not because they are boring but because they are filmed in a very dreamlike manner and I like them because of that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

GrandpaPants posted:

I realize it is probably intellectually lazy of me to "give up" on the film if it there weren't some external factor basically saying, "Hey, look at this," but I'm still grateful that factor was there.

I think SubG calls this the "Criterion Effect" and it really annoys him because it means that it's easier to get someone to regard a film as valid based on a relatively arbitrary corporate choice and it annoys me too because it's completely true.

edit: in the sense that I totally do the same thing

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 7, 2013

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I really hate the term "pretentious" as a derogatory remark used to disregard a film (or any work of art). It feels like it's just an easy out to avoid engaging with a challenging work, and while I'm glad you watched the movie and gave it a shot, the Criterion watermark shouldn't be any qualifier of validity. There's thousands of great films out there not on the Criterion label that are just as good if not better than anything currently on the label.

I mean, I love Criterion. They turn out high quality copies of films a lot of other distributors glance right over. And more often than not I'm willing to take a blind chance with something they put out because the people doing this have great taste. But I've swung and missed with them before. For example, Border Radio sucks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is best summed up by something said in the past in a thread here, by FitFortDanga I believe, "Love the movie, not the brand."

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, I do find myself focusing on the label itself as a 'canon' of films, especially in my recent trend toward trying to collect all of them. However, I do thank them for providing a very nicely codified way of exposing me to films I'd never even have heard of until now, and they were (and are) an integral part of my film education. I wouldn't know anything about Fellini, Tati, Melville, or even guys like Malick, really, if I hadn't been exposed to that label. I do find myself lacking in other strong ways to hear about equally good (or better) arthouse films, other than random recommendations from here, so I find Criterion as a good way to provide a good baseline for expanding my film exposure beyond the norm.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think SubG calls this the "Criterion Effect" and it really annoys him because it means that it's easier to get someone to regard a film as valid based on a relatively arbitrary corporate choice and it annoys me too because it's completely true.

edit: in the sense that I totally do the same thing

I'm also this way with Criterion, despite my better judgement. Same with the TSPDT list. Oh, it's on the list? That means it's that kind of movie.

It's bullshit, but it's difficult to shake.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

That being said, I have no idea what that movie was about.

It's about the treachery of memory.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Cloks posted:

These are all Studio Canal titles, right? How many does Criterion still have?

These were from a deal with Rialto.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

caiman posted:

I'm also this way with Criterion, despite my better judgement. Same with the TSPDT list. Oh, it's on the list? That means it's that kind of movie.

It's bullshit, but it's difficult to shake.

We can take it even further and include all easily available films compared to all ones that aren't even available on VHS/DVD etc. The Internet itself is filling some of those gaps but there are some that still seem impossible to find.

It's a nice feeling to discover something you haven't heard of before but it really wasn't a secret if it's been pressed onto millions of polycarbonate discs already.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Apparently they've dropped a very obvious hint that spine #666 will be The Devil's Backbone. Meh.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Hewlett posted:

At one point I had my Criterion films altogether with blurays organized together alphabetically followed by DVDs - and I think it was FFD who mentioned how ridiculous it is to be so stuck on the label itself as opposed to the movie.

So when I thought it over & put them all back in with the rest of the collection, it took away that necessity to fill in missing spine #'s and focus on the film itself again. The collection is no longer nagging at me that I have to get every single Criterion release. It's also allowed breathing room to venture outside the collection for other releases without this strange feeling of betraying any one brand.

Besides, going back 650+ films is daunting enough and completely unreasonable. If I were to have started from Grand Illusion's first release it would've been a bit more manageable. I blind-buy enough as it is and have plenty I haven't watched yet without any other excuses to collect more.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If Criterion has taught me one thing, it's that, if I ever start a business wherein I produce a physical product, I WILL number them. The market for people who obsess over completion is extraordinarily strong, and somehow those little spine numbers satisfy a part of their brain that thrives on organization. It doesn't matter what the product is I'll produce. If I manufacture frozen pizzas, each type will be sequentially numbered.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I organize my DVDs/Blu-Rays by UPC code.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

caiman posted:

If Criterion has taught me one thing, it's that, if I ever start a business wherein I produce a physical product, I WILL number them. The market for people who obsess over completion is extraordinarily strong, and somehow those little spine numbers satisfy a part of their brain that thrives on organization. It doesn't matter what the product is I'll produce. If I manufacture frozen pizzas, each type will be sequentially numbered.

Drafthouse Films is doing spine numbers on their releases now too. I noticed it when I was putting my Wake in Fright BRD on the shelf.

I don't have the get every Criterion thing going on in my brain (probably because they have so many release of things I really do not like) but I will say that the brand affects me in that I am always willing to look into Criterion endorsed movies I'm not familiar with. That's why I got a Hulu sub.

leokitty fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 11, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Apropos of nothing, I remember a rumor that Criterion was getting Thief a while back, does anyone know if anything came of that?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

caiman posted:

I think if I did that, I would just randomly skip numbers, just to piss people off. They'd go crazy trying to fill in the holes. It'd be brilliant. "I have 1 through 13 and 15 through 18, but where the hell is number 14?!" And then he goes on a shooting rampage.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone at cf.org did some snooping and got an early scoop:

#664: Life of Oharu
#665: Babette's Feast
#666: The Devil's Backbone

Will post details when they're officially up.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oh man is that a Mike Mignola cover? Pretty cool looking.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I didn't really care for The Devil's Backbone, but it's nice to see they're keeping things consistent with the Del Toro/Mignola covers.

Edit:

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Oh man is that a Mike Mignola cover? Pretty cool looking.

He did the cover for Cronos, too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I hate the comic covers on stuff like Make Way For Tomorrow, but man are they ever appropriate for Del Toro's work.

also Devil's Backbone is better than Pan Labyrinth.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

penismightier posted:

also Devil's Backbone is better than Pan Labyrinth.

That may be, but Pan's Labyrinth is vastly better than both of them.